Author Topic: Cosplay and Max?  (Read 3782 times)

Offline nikku5

• Cabbit
Cosplay and Max?
« on: August 19, 2010, 12:23:10 am »
So, as the title says, I'm going to Kumoricon for my third time this year, never was really into cosplaying, bought a bleach outfit last year, and I of course don't want it to go to waste. I have 2 problems here;

1. I'm shy about cosplay and stuff like that, but I really want to

2. I can only take the max to the convention, but as it is related to my first problem, I don't feel comfortable about wearing it all the way down there by myself....

Advice anyone?

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
Re: Cosplay and Max?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 12:26:56 am »
B/c the MAX line is near the hotel, there are a lot of other people who take it. I did that all last year and I ran into a bunch of other con goers on there.

You could always just pack your cosplay in a bag and then change when you get to the hotel, so you'd be wearing your normal clothes while on the MAX.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Portland_gal

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:20:49 pm »
An idea is if your taking the max to the convention you could join a group or gather a group of people also going to the con by max who are going to be in dress and all go together. This will be our (my hunny and I) first con ever and we are going in costume by bus to the max then walk to the hotel.  ;)

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 11:25:01 pm »
I share the same problem. I'm overly concerned about what other people would think. Especially in my case because im cosplaying as a female. (I be male) lol

Im going to ride max down there as well. Im probably just going to pack it in a bag and change at the Con.
Thats the best option.
Kumoricon 2014 Cosplay plans:

Kantai Collection Kongou Crossplay (Maybe)

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:27:41 pm »
Two years ago Myself and a group of friends had to take the Max in from the place we were staying, and they made an anouncement that there would be people wearing strange costumes because of the convention. And as the others said we had other people in costume join us.

Of course you might have to explain yourself and anime to the normies if they ask.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 11:34:52 pm »
I share the same problem. I'm overly concerned about what other people would think. Especially in my case because im cosplaying as a female. (I be male) lol

Im going to ride max down there as well. Im probably just going to pack it in a bag and change at the Con.
Thats the best option.

If it boils down to sharing a max car with a guy in a dress or a pack of drunk bums asking for drugs on the max, I'll take the guy in the dress any day of the week.

If you do go on the Max in cosplay, if you catch a funny look, you can always say that. "At least I'm not some drunk homeless guy who's bumming cash from you for crack!"

They're damned fools if they don't agree.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 11:38:52 pm »

Thats the best option.

If it boils down to sharing a max car with a guy in a dress or a pack of drunk bums asking for drugs on the max, I'll take the guy in the dress any day of the week.

If you do go on the Max in cosplay, if you catch a funny look, you can always say that. "At least I'm not some drunk homeless guy who's bumming cash from you for crack!"

They're damned fools if they don't agree.

....Good point.

Well, I guess I'd be ok with wearing my crossplay on Max if I was with a large group of cosplayers. Less attention focused on me that way. lol

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 11:41:00 pm »
Why don't you guys try to get a group going? The only issue is finding a place to meet up. I might have to take the max myself at some point in time. Hahaha. My friends and I are trying to figure out transport to downtown.

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 11:41:18 pm »
I don't know...I love being on there in cosplay ^^
I've ridden the MAX so many times in cosplay, people ask me what's going on, where I got my outfits and wigs, and how that's the most awesome thing they've seen ^^
I've actually had pictures taken of me while on the MAX.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 11:43:14 pm »
I don't know...I love being on there in cosplay ^^
I've ridden the MAX so many times in cosplay, people ask me what's going on, where I got my outfits and wigs, and how that's the most awesome thing they've seen ^^
I've actually had pictures taken of me while on the MAX.

Well okay then. Im riding with you! :D

Other then the occasional odd look, I suppose it is ok and Im just too concerned of what others think.

Offline Portland_gal

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 11:45:18 pm »
well why not set up a meet time and everyone in costume that is heading to the con or photo shoots gather together like at the hotel they are staying at or near a max stop and go together. I know we don't mind grouping up with anyone who ain't comfortable being solo in costume to go to the con. It's entirely up to you though.

Of course you could always do as was suggested by other posters and pack or just say that atleast your not asking for money.

edit: Well if anyone is taking  bus 4 or 44 to rose-quarter max stop we could set up a time to meet up.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:48:13 pm by Portland_gal »

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 11:46:35 pm »
One thing i've learned: %90 of the people you meet on a day to day basis you will never see again.

Besides, they'll remember you for what, a month maybe? After that, who cares? They have no direct affect on you. I would just avoid the MAX at night. there are scary people on it at night.

Offline nikku5

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 12:01:06 am »
If you guys are making a plan to meet up somewhere, do you mind if I tag along? I'd feel so much better not being by myself.

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 12:05:52 am »
A max meet up of sort is a cool idea. I will most likely be riding the Red Line to and from the Airport. I'll get on at Park Rose Sumner Transit and ride into downtown portland. AKA: Destination. :)

Offline Portland_gal

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 12:11:55 am »
Sure we catch the 4 or 44 from the red cross stop which is about a block or two away from Dawson Park and go to rose quarter then catch red or blue to Pioneer Square then walk on up. Just need to plan out a time though lol but we are fine having a group go with us ^.^

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 12:13:17 am »
Cant you just change at the hilton?

Offline nikku5

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 12:27:53 am »
well the problem with that is, I would have to bring my cosplay with me in a large bag or something and I don't have a hotel room (cause it's crazy in price!!!), so I would have to carry an extra bag of stuff with me, which I don't want to do, and I would really like to cosplay

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 12:30:47 am »
Oh, well... sorry I tried.

Offline Portland_gal

• Cabbit
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 12:35:37 am »
My hunny and I can't see paying for a hotel room sense we live here in Portland and the price is a bit high in our opinion. It's one of many reasons why we decided that we will just go in dress and have a fun adventure. :)

Offline flyinvee11

• Chibi
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 03:09:23 am »
well the problem with that is, I would have to bring my cosplay with me in a large bag or something and I don't have a hotel room (cause it's crazy in price!!!), so I would have to carry an extra bag of stuff with me, which I don't want to do, and I would really like to cosplay

Actually, a lot of hotels will hold onto your bags for you at events like these, even if you aren't a guest. Just ask the concierge.

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 05:50:37 pm »
if you have a friend whos staying in the hilton you could just ask them to store your stuff in their room :P

Offline AsdfAnimeProductionbackup

• Cabbit
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 09:24:39 pm »
I'm sure you'll be seeing a few of us around the bus and max's! :D But no worries, I cosplay in public all the time lol. Keep your head held high!

Offline Roah

• Cabbit
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 11:22:54 am »
I live in Portland and I can guarantee you that anyone who lives in this town has seen far stranger things than people in costumes riding the MAX. Portland is known for being weird I seriously wouldn't worry about it. Like we had this huge group barhopping event where we dressed like our "alter egos" and we walked around Portland in the middle of the night around bars and even through Powell's (the book store) and people weren't even phased by it.

BUT if you are worried about it I'm sure there will be a lot of people you can hop on with. I myself am parking at Lloyd Center and taking the MAX downtown (I freaking hate downtown parking) and I know a lot of people do that. So long as you're there in the morning sometime I'm sure there will be people to ride with.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 11:24:09 am by Roah »
Did you know balloons come from the sky? That's why they're always trying to get back.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 04:44:31 pm »
Ok. These are annual events at Portland:

1) Santa bar hop- I've seen this myself. Hundreds, and I mean hundreds, of people dressed as Santa go bar hopping. It's load, and it's massive. And all they do is drink.

2) Nude Bike ride- This happens during Pride Fest (which is a weird event in its own right). People get naked and ride bikes. Not much more to it.

3) Nude Bar Marathon- I learned this from Chuck Palanhuk's (spelling, sorry) new book. I've never seen it/done it, but there's something like 44 nude bars during this time, and the goal is to go to each one of them and have one drink while there. No one's made it past thirty. I guess the top numbers are somewhere around 22, which is an enormous amount of liquor.

I'll make a note about Pride Fest, even if you never actually see the festival, you know it's going on due to all the drag queens wandering around. Some of the outfits are ten times worse than what happens at Kumoricon. Seriously.

I think everyone's right. No one will care if you're in costume on the Max, but I will say that groups make you less self-conscious.

Offline AsdfAnimeProductionbackup

• Cabbit
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 04:46:13 pm »
cosplay groups are grand!!

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 07:53:14 pm »
Here is an odd thought to throw out there; (And wont help the situation at all...)

My mom says that wearing a costume on a public bus or max is a bad idea because you might get beaten up.

I thought she was just spouting her usual nonsense about how she just doesn't like cosplay in general, but then she explained to me that this would be little different then a random racial hate crime.

Food for thought.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 08:52:00 pm »
I've thought about that. During the day the MAX really isn't so bad. It's night time that it gets scary. The worst thing I'd imagine you'd have to look out for is drunks or druggies, especially in groups.

If you want to change at the Hilton but don't have a room, here's a thought for you. Target sells these super cheap duffel bags that come in a velcro bag. They fold up pretty nicely. You can put your costume in that bag and then put that duffel bag into your convention goodie bag once you get your costume on.

The same idea can happen with a garbage bag for larger costumes that require a lot of room. No one will really think twice if you've got a garbage bag with you. Probably just think you went shopping for something weird and lumpy.

EDIT: Also, if you have your costume hanging in a zip-up garment bag then people are really unlikely to give you problems. They'll probably assume its a suit or a dress. If anyone asks, you can say its for a wedding coming up.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:53:18 pm by lychee-twist »

Offline Roah

• Cabbit
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 09:54:58 pm »
Here is an odd thought to throw out there; (And wont help the situation at all...)

My mom says that wearing a costume on a public bus or max is a bad idea because you might get beaten up.

I thought she was just spouting her usual nonsense about how she just doesn't like cosplay in general, but then she explained to me that this would be little different then a random racial hate crime.

Food for thought.

Trust me, no one's going to beat you up for being weird in Portland, MAX or no MAX. If you decide to walk through the park alone at night in front of Lloyd Center, MAYBE, but in a public place believe me you're perfectly safe. Besides, there's security cameras on the train and at the stations. There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of, I've done it before.
Did you know balloons come from the sky? That's why they're always trying to get back.

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 07:43:23 pm »
Assuming they're strangers, I rather enjoy getting strange looks while in costume.  Yeah, it's rather scary to step out into public in costume, but hey, life is too boring already and you may be the most exciting thing in everyone's life that day.  And they say to do what scares you, right?  

The long, bewildered looks from strangers is one of the funniest things about conventions.  And if you're friendly about it you'll disarm them quick enough.  

And depending on the costume, you could put it over a much lighter normal outfit.  I had shorts and tank top when I did Ise Nanao from Bleach, and a plastic bag would both fit your costume and fit IN your costume during the convention.  Last year I did Sakura from Naruto and, once I took off my outer top, I passed relatively incognito. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 07:46:46 pm by Kurohime »

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2010, 08:39:25 pm »
How about this, guys. I work at a medical clinic. Last Halloween I decided to wear my Kusuriuri cosplay for work from Kumoricon 2009.

that means I looked like this while I was checking in lots and lots of patients (with flu shot clinic, that's around 100+ patients):
http://lychee-twist.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2dgd5l

and at Kumoricon, I got a LOT of weird looks. It was bad enough that my six inch wooden geta went "KA-KLUNK KA-KLUNK KA-KLUNK" when I walked. Many people asked me politely what was going on. I didn't have on bad experience.

Offline Portland_gal

• Cabbit
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2010, 12:30:15 am »
wow, I would not have thought of odd looks at the con you were going to. I would think more of the odd looks would be at your job then at the con lol. Anyways whats so bad of people looking at you in costume? Around hallowwen last year I dressed in dark-hunter style which is all black and wearing shades and actually had some people ask why I was wearing shades at night; but once I told them I was portraying a character from Kenyon's dark-hunter novels they smiled and went about their way.

Anyways like I posted earlier if anyone decides they want to be in costume to head to the con my hunny and I will be around Loydd center mall max stop around 10:30 am taking some pics and work our way to downtown, but we are more then willing to meet up and go with others to the con or to downtown. At 11:30 am though we will be heading towards Bleach photoshoot. So if any are interested let us know. ^.^

Edit: Um... change on time and everything I will still be attending the bleach photo shoot but we will already be there at the location for the shoot...so I am sorry if anyone had planned on meeting up and going with us.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:40:33 am by Portland_gal »