Author Topic: Cancer?... ): *girls only, please?*  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
Cancer?... ): *girls only, please?*
« on: December 06, 2010, 03:19:20 am »
I dunno...I'm super scared righ now. I think I found a lump on my breast and I'm just really scared. I dunno what to do ):

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
Re: Cancer?... ): *girls only, please?*
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 05:43:55 am »
*ignores title*
Well that's not good. :/
You should probably see a doctor as soon as possible. Is it a hard or soft lump? Is it large?
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:18:10 am »
where at exactly?  you should get it checked out but just don't worry too much. We girl have a lot of lymph nodes and they can get infected or swollen esp in cold in flu season.  I once had a couple of small lumps under my arm pit, went away in a week or two .
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:48:33 am »
Many of us also have what are called "fibrocystic" breasts....lots of lumps, but not anything that is dangerous.

The important thing is that you are paying attention.

Do you have insurance? Do you have a doctor or school nurse who could do a formal exam?

Are you old enough that you have seen a gynecologist? They are often the most versed in doing breast exams and in teaching girls and women how to do monthly self-exams correctly.

If you are in Oregon and you have a lump that a doctor verifies is suspicious and you do not have insurance, have a social worker sign you up for the Breast & Cervical Cancer Partnership to get you a diagnostic mammogram.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 11:30:57 am »
Here's the thing. This fibrocystic breast is exactly what you would expect around such an age. Whether there's actually anything dangerous going on is impossible to tell because in the worst case there could be another problem behind that outer tissue that goes unnoticed.

The real problem is your body itself. You're at a stage of moderately fast physical development and while the process tends to often misread building codes, there's no reason for you to be alarmed by this. Even if there's some sort of abnormality, you're simply not familiar with your body while it's developing. I don't care if you examine yourself every day, there's just too much going on internally.

With that, routine examinations should not be done at your age. Addressing every single abnormality that arises is tedious work and you're not at any significant level of risk for things such as breast cancer until you're around 25. I think the ACS says 50 but the way people's lifestyles and health have changed in recent years has me suspicious of this and I'm not going to agree with the record. In terms of personal value, it's probably best that you do get whatever it is examined. You're not going to die from noticing a small lump but at least find out if it's a potential problem.

I notice tiny lumps in that area of my body every few weeks but they're usually just clogged pores caused by bad/dirty fabrics and sleeping in said clothes. Unless you share this stupid behavior, that's probably not going to be an issue. What you describe is likely much bigger than random body acne but I figure it's worth mentioning. Just pay attention to what's going onto and into your body. It's good to be aware of potential problems and managing them before they become serious. That's called maturing. :/
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:10:58 pm »
I am no expert, but here is a link to the Mayo Clinic's info on when to call a doctor: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/breast-lump/WO00031

The Mayo Clinic is a fairly well known and respected medical resource.

Though, if you have insurance and can see a doctor, that is often the best choice.  It can be worth it just for the peace of mind of knowing that nothing is wrong.  Also, early detection and early action can be difference between a normal life and bad things.  If caught early enough, it can sometimes be treated fairly easily. 

Lumps do come and go in women's breasts.  If you have the ability to see a doctor, they can also help you become more informed on what to look for and how to distinguish between what is a possibly problematic lump, and what is not.  With my family risk factors, I tend to the err on the side of overly cautious.  In any case, take good care of yourself, okay?
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp