Author Topic: Traditional Holiday Foods  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
Traditional Holiday Foods
« on: December 12, 2010, 01:08:45 pm »
Traditional foods are a must have for any family, and I was wondering if you had any for a specific holdiay?
My great-grandmother has passed down a recipe of 'Goolash', and I grew up eating it. It's delicious!
My grandmother has recently taught me how to make it, as I am doing right now.
*Will post a picture when it's complete*

What foods does your family make? Bitter? Sweet?
Post a picture! I'd love to see them! (:

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:51:17 pm by Mew*Haruko »

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Traditional Holiday Foods
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 01:34:56 pm »
I posted the recipe in another thread kind of like this one, but since my family's Scottish we always make Ayrshire shortbread(Sweet and unhealthy. But Scots don't care about their health when it comes to food! XD) I don't have a picture of my specific shortbread, but I do have one from the internet! xD
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:41:22 pm by sandrobotticelli »
Kumoricon 2013:
Neophyte Redglare- Homestuck
Madame de Pompadour- Le Chevalier D'Eon

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: Traditional Holiday Foods
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 07:22:58 pm »
...on THIS THREAD I posted some pix of my winter-time faves, tourtière and feves au lard - Meat pies and baked beans of a style from the Saguenay / Lake St Jean region of Quebec.

My sweetie's family is Lithuanian, and they have some unusual traditions - such as the Christmas Eve meal is very small, and vegetarian.
More info here: http://www.javlb.org/educat/tradicijos/kucios.html

The focus is on the abject poverty of the Holy Family, having no money to stay at an inn, and no one to take them in, so they end up with a bunch of beasts (which tend to be vegetarians.) So like in Lent, you temporarily give up or abstain from all the GOOD STUFF - that's for Christmas and its TWELVE DAYS ... (...you *do* party all 12 days, don't you?!?)

One of the most alien looking traditional treats I've seen is the Lithuanian sakotis also called raguolis, or 'tree cake." It's a hollow cylinder with spiky things radiating from it. Pictures below:

The batter is poured out onto a rotating spit in front of a specially shaped oven, so as it drips it forms the radial spikes.These can also be made quite tall, even 5 feet high and more, and they are also served at weddings and other festive occasions. They taste a bit like shortbread.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 07:34:46 pm by Prinz Eugen »