Author Topic: News help, please?  (Read 4187 times)

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
News help, please?
« on: April 08, 2011, 08:53:51 pm »
As a few of you know, I'm a speechie, which means I go to forensics tournaments and give speeches and debate. I'm doing a radio commentary tomorrow, and I need to write it tonight. My topic is the Middle East, and I'm trying to come up with a story that isn't us bombing Libya, because I have a feeling that a lot of people will be doing that one.

This is the state qualifier, so it's really important! Can you guys think of any news stories about the Middle East that aren't the same-old bombing Libya stuff?
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
Re: News help, please?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 09:11:02 pm »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:15:48 pm by jaybug »
Have Fun

Jay

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 09:13:41 pm »
I'll have to check out CNNTurk to see if I can pick up on something~ Especially since Jaybug mentioned the ones I was thinking of xD
Kumoricon 2013:
Neophyte Redglare- Homestuck
Madame de Pompadour- Le Chevalier D'Eon

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 09:27:28 pm »
I could write about Turkey wanting to join the EU but Angela Merkel is being a meanie-butt, but that's old news.

Jaybug, thanks! I'll probably end up going with the Israel one.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:29:07 pm by MiriaRose »
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 09:37:51 pm »
You're welcome.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 11:34:53 pm »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 11:39:29 pm »
This is going to be a bit of a controversial suggestion, but, honestly, Al Jazeera might be a good place to look. It's gained a lot of favor with people recently for its unbiased reporting.

I told my dad I read an article on it, and he gave me the "I DON"T WANT THE FBI RESEARCHING YOU" speech. THe article I read was about the attempted Pioneer Square bombing. It was up there before any of the NW news sites got wind of it from what I saw, and I can tell you that it was just good, factual reporting for that article. I know a lot of people who are not terrorists and prefer it. Recently Hillary Clinton said that it was a good news source and used it to cite some sort of issue. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/05/hillary-clintons-al-jazeera-us-media_n_831788.html

Alternative sites that I prefer are Reuters, Associated Press, and the BBC. When it came to the Japanese nuclear problem, those were the sites that didn't freak out of the radiation. Every other source blew it massively out of proportion. >.> So freaking annoying.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:42:27 pm by lychee-twist »
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 12:59:19 am »
Does it have to be recent news? Maybe something ongoing that not many are aware of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSNHGmFlnCY

Gilad Shalit would be interesting to talk about and I bet no one would mention the issue.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 01:49:28 am »
This is going to be a bit of a controversial suggestion, but, honestly, Al Jazeera might be a good place to look. It's gained a lot of favor with people recently for its unbiased reporting.

I told my dad I read an article on it, and he gave me the "I DON"T WANT THE FBI RESEARCHING YOU" speech. THe article I read was about the attempted Pioneer Square bombing. It was up there before any of the NW news sites got wind of it from what I saw, and I can tell you that it was just good, factual reporting for that article. I know a lot of people who are not terrorists and prefer it. Recently Hillary Clinton said that it was a good news source and used it to cite some sort of issue. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/05/hillary-clintons-al-jazeera-us-media_n_831788.html

Alternative sites that I prefer are Reuters, Associated Press, and the BBC. When it came to the Japanese nuclear problem, those were the sites that didn't freak out of the radiation. Every other source blew it massively out of proportion. >.> So freaking annoying.

I'll up the ante on controversy... isn't it strange that for people who "hate freedom and want the terrorists to win", they're starting to earn a reputation for being noticeably less self-censored (and much less histrionic) than American corporate news media when it comes to anything that might even possibly upset the establishment? Seriously, how did we get to the point where "freedom of the press" means regurgitating press releases from the corporations and their mouthpieces (the government and the two major political parties) instead of seeking out and reporting uncomfortable truths?

I'm not so sure about the AP (not affirmatively, just out of unfamiliarity), but I'd strongly echo the recommendations of Reuters and the BBC as well.

Does it have to be recent news? Maybe something ongoing that not many are aware of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSNHGmFlnCY

Gilad Shalit would be interesting to talk about and I bet no one would mention the issue.

I'm not familiar with the backstory, so I can't comment on the right or wrong thereof, but that was a spectacular form of protest. Extra kudos on the Les Mis BGM.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 03:28:50 am »
I've always respected Al Jazeera more than American news organizations.  It's the one of the places some of my favorite professors/intellectuals can get any air time. ^^;  I don't think there's such a thing as a "perfect" news organization, but they don't have the same bias and anti-intellectual slant that most American news does. :/

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 05:00:54 pm »
Reppy, totally agree. The Associated Press is an American company, and the thing about them is they don't rely on commercialization for their income. CNN, MSNBC, and Fox all have to get viewers in order to make money. Reuters is based out of London, I guess.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 09:53:27 pm »
I love Al Jazeera, actually.

I ended up doing the Israel topic, but I ended up going into a coughing fit because I forgot to bring water like an idiot and I was speaking all day. Yeah. How bright of me. =\

So I didn't make it to finals. Blah. Oh well. There's always college.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 11:48:22 pm »
Congratulations for making it to semi-finals. :) That alone is something that many of us couldn't do. I'm terrified of public speaking.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 10:37:43 am »
Haha, thanks.  :) I love public speaking. It's scary at first, but when you do it for a day you end up loving it and wanting to do more.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 05:24:13 pm »
heh heh heh, maybe we should bring tomatoes to your next gig. Or just get you ready for a hostile crowd! lol just kidding. Someone bring some lettuce, she can have a salad afterwards!

My major concern over news, is that it is a news article, and NOT an opinion piece. I prefer those in the editorial pages thank you. Too often I see op ed pieces in the news, and news in the op ed pages. Huh? Is that just to confuddle us so we have no clue as to what is really happening?

If you find something outre, read another article from a different source. Then shave with Occam's razor.

Have Fun

Jay

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 05:30:42 pm »
Man, I would've been happy if everyone on the Kumoricon forums had brought tomatoes to this one. I seriously facepalmed when I got my debate ballots back. . But that's another issue entirely. xD;;

Gah, I hate that too. It's one of the reasons I don't watch television news anymore or use "mainstream" sites for my news-gathering. Al Jazeera ftw.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 09:50:03 pm »
I <3 Occam's Razor.

Well, if you ever get a ballot back along with a bushel of tomatoes, you'd know who was in attendance. The hard part would be getting a Kumoricon crowd there without you noticing.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 10:29:46 pm »
So it was for more than you just talking like a frog was in your throat?

What did you do wrong? What can you do better next time? It's always a good idea to de-brief after an action.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 04:48:08 pm »
Nope, I was coughing. One of the radio judges didn't mind, though, but the other did. I learned a few things, though: To bring water no matter what, make my poetry tone sadder, and to seriously tone down my speaking style in front of lay judges. Debaters are arrogant folk, and we talk like it, too. ^^;;

On the bright side, I still get to go to state for student congress.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 05:13:01 pm »
So you want to grow up and be a hack reporter? lol

Gargle with salt water often.

Do you play actual people, or do you act yourself for student congress?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 06:18:11 pm »
Oh man, I should've made that joke. I might've gotten higher speaker points.

Thanks, I'll make sure to bring salt to state.

We act ourselves as a senator for student congress. So, for example, Joe the Plumber, were he a student congress member, would be "Senator Wurzelbacher."
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 07:28:51 pm »
Are you sure he wouldn't be senator Weaselbacker?

Wouldn't you rather be senator Weisenheimer?

What a maroon.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 07:43:47 pm »
I'd rather be Senator Karaaagggggghhhhhhz. Because nobody on my team can pronounce my last name.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 09:02:37 pm »
What's that? You want to be former senator Craig, of Idaho, because you have a wide stance too?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 09:27:49 pm »
Gahahaha. Totally.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 05:32:07 pm »
Gahahaha. Totally.

That sounds more like senator Moonunit to me.
Have Fun

Jay