Poll

Which language class should i take?

French
4 (44.4%)
German
5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Next year's language class.  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
Next year's language class.
« on: May 06, 2011, 01:55:11 pm »
I'm having a bit of trouble with deciding this. I just found out that i can't take both because the school doesn't allow it ^^;

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
Re: Next year's language class.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 02:52:55 pm »
As someone who has taken German for nearly four years, I say go with German.

It's a great language. It's simple enough because it's a lot like English, but it's also challenging. Sentence structure usually makes sense and it's a very. . Hm, scientific language. There are rules and there are very rare exceptions to the rules.

Not at all like English in that respect.

Also, the pronunciation isn't all weird like French is.  :P
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 03:44:58 pm »
Go with German. We'll all eventually be speaking it one day. It's easier to learn, sounds more interesting than most languages and it will become a lot easier to make friends with foreign guys.

*poke* *poke* *stab* *poke* *poke*... ::)
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 05:05:58 pm »
I really like German :P it's fun.

Offline Shi_no_Akuma

• Chibi
    • I'm not here I'm on Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 07:50:08 pm »
I'm going to be the odd one out, but French~

I would've taken it my Freshman year to make my little 6th grade heart happy, but they dropped it that year. xD; So I did a correspondence course and took Latin instead. . . Anywaaays~

It doesn't hurt that if you have one of the romance languages, the others are somewhat comprehendable. 8D
And it's pretty. /shot
Tumblr | Next Con: Fanime
.:As:.
☆ Porrim Maryam ☆ Mami Tomoe ☆
☆ Roxy Lalonde ☆ Jade Harley ☆
☆ The Disciple ☆ Aradia Megido ☆
☆ Maggie Lacivi ☆

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 08:00:00 pm »
Well i'm actually thinking about French now...I talked to my dad about it and he told me that there are way more French speakers here in America then there are German. Also, considering that i want my first out-of-the-country vacation to be Canada, That also might come in handy. Plus i don't know a lot about France so learning more about the culture would be pretty fun ^^

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 08:21:36 pm »
Psssht, Shi. Psssht.

Just because there's more French speakers doesn't make it more useful. How many French businesses can you name? Didn't think so. How many German businesses can you name? Adidas, Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, Birckenstock, DHL, Porsche, Puma, Steinway. . Red Bull is Austrian (and they speak German there- or so I assume, considering that I write to my Austrian penpal in German and he corrects my mistakes. .), as is Swarovski. Rolex is a Swiss company, and even though Swiss German is weird it's still a good base.

There's also a billion German/Austrian banks, and everyone knows about Swiss banks.

As for Canada, they only speak it in a few areas. Seriously, the rest of Canada hates French.

Also, back to the more French speakers thing: Yeah, but as I said, that doesn't make it more useful. Most of the time, businesses don't hire bilingual speakers so they can communicate with foreign language speakers in America, but so that they can communicate with foreign businesses. And you know a foreign country with a LOT of important businesses and banks?

Deutschland!

Plus, you'll be one step ahead of the other tourists if you ever decide to go to Oktoberfest. ;)

As for the culture, you can go to Wikipedia and learn about the culture. German culture is interesting, too.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:22:12 pm by MiriaRose »
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 11:24:03 pm »
Now i'm all confused again >A> Maybe it was a bad idea to ask you guys.

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 11:42:34 pm »
I like French a lot and studied it for a while and had a fun time, but now I might have to try German so I can read their philosophical texts easier. : (

I wouldn't make this decision on the basis of utility, because unless you plan to study this through college, your language level won't get high enough to make you competent enough to deal with a completely non-English speaking individual. Unless you live for a little while in a country that speaks the language you're learning, but in that case you might even be able to skip learning academically at all.

Is this your first non-native language?
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 12:02:01 am »
Yeah, i've never taken a different language class.
And i soppose your right. I guess i'll just decide something at the last minute...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 12:02:19 am by Saki-the-cat »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 12:17:55 am »
If you lean more towards sciences, German.  If you lean towards arts, French.  That's bogus that they won't let you take both, but you can always take one now then take the other later, or teach yourself.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 03:32:46 pm »
Meh, i've decided to just go with German. I have a couple of friends, and my dad, that would be able to help me if i needed help. Also, my mom told me that she took French when she was in highschool and it was extremely hard for her. It's not that i'm lazy or anything, i'm just going to have a TON of classes to do next school year and if i have a choice between a hard class and a less hard class, i'll chose the less hard class. It'll put less stress on me.
Also, the fact that i have ancestors from Germany kind of encouraged me me as well ^^;

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 03:56:10 pm »
If you ever need German help, drop me a PM. And if I can't help you, then I can text a native German speaker and ask him.
"Would you kindly. ."