Author Topic: Prop Help Needed  (Read 1450 times)

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
Prop Help Needed
« on: June 28, 2011, 12:58:29 am »
At least for this year, I am the "creation talent" for part of my group, and what I am currently working on seemed easy enough before I started mapping out what I have to do. It's not that it is complicated, but if my math is right, this is going to take a lot of fabric, and it just seems bigger than I expected it to be, so I would like some input from people with more experience than me.

The Project: Shippuden Tenten's Giant Scroll

The Plan: This large prop is going to be completely sewn because I'm turning it into a body pillow. I've even designed a way for it to be able to open a bit which I think is coolest of all. I'm going to use snaps for it to attach and close after wrapping around.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/crying_baby_girl/B08AD8F5.jpg
I came up with the measurements a couple different ways. For the part that wraps around, I used a beach towel that we decided wrapped around at the exact length and width that we wanted. As for the thickness of the scroll (the 16in diameter), that was purely a "I want it this thick" and we measured the space between the hands.

The Problem: Everything about actually making this looks simple enough to me; it seems like it will be really easy to put together. The only thing I'm worried about is if I actually worked this out correctly. I've checked my math, and had a couple other people check my match and equations, and everything looked okay. It just seems like 201in (5.6yds) for one length is a lot. Although, maybe it's just because this project is a larger scale anything I've done before???

What I really want to know is, did I miss anything, or does everything look like it should??? Did I calculate everything out like I needed to??? And, is there any suggesting at all???

Thanks a lot
~D???!!!...~
Kumoricon 2013 The Phoenix Down Slackers will be cosplaying:

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
Re: Prop Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 01:56:36 am »
I found it out for you! ^^

C = 2(pi)r not (pi)r^2

C = 51, not 201

(pi)r^2 is area, by the way. XP

So it would be 1.5 yards of fabric with (51/12)/3

I need to stop editing this. XD
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:12:46 am by Gryffinclaw Princess »

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 09:39:19 am »
Like Gryffinclaw Princess said, the circumference will be 2∏r, or 50.3 inches. Since the circumference is slightly less than the length of the "tail" (64 inches), the tail should wrap all the way around once with about a foot to spare. If you want it to be one continuous piece of fabric, add them together and you get 114.3 inches... about ten feet. (Or 3 and 1/3 yards, but I've never met a fabric salesperson who insisted on yards.)

Wrt making it a body pillow, that sounds like a fun idea... but I don't know if it would make a very good prop for photos, since any filler material soft enough for a pillow will visibly sag when you stand it on end. You could always make it dual-purpose by leaving it open at one end; then it could either be used to cover a pillow or a stiff cylinder. (But for all I know, you may have something else in mind that makes this a moot point.)

Regardless, good luck. (^_^)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:22:03 am »
She could maybe put some cardboard at each end to give the ends a more sturdy look. But the rest probably will sag, yeah.
I was thinking of suggesting making it hollow, too.
Not for a pillow but maybe for a bag to carry all her goodies in?
If there is one thing a cosplayer can never have too much of, it's room to store things.
If yo make it hollow, you can sew pockets here and there for smaller things and stack up bigger things.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:16:37 pm »
^ Oooooh... nice idea. (^_^)

Would there be any good way to make it into a backpack with straps that are hidden when it's unrolled for photos?
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:07:13 pm »
Duh!!! Now I feel like an idiot, but that means everyone who was looking over it for me is dumb too.. XP Of course Pi r^2 is A not C... That makes so much more sense now. I didn't think that could be right.

Thank you all SOOOOO very much. You just saved my life.. well, my sanity... well, what was left of my sanity anyway.

I'm the weird kind of person who likes a nice firm pillow, so I over stuff all the time. This will end up feeling for like the pillows people put on their bed that is just supposed to be decoration (which makes no sense to me, but who am I to judge).

When I actually get this thing made, I'll post pics and we'll see how it turned out. Although, maybe I'll zipper one end instead of actually seal it, incase I (and the person who is actually going to be Tenten) change my mind.

Thanks again, guys. Really, now I don't feel like I'm losing my mind any more than usual.
Kumoricon 2013 The Phoenix Down Slackers will be cosplaying:

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 12:23:22 am »
Will it be possible to put in a cardboard structure that can be removed later on? I really worry how this is going to look stuffed. The ends are going to round out and they might end up looking like nipples with a whole bunch of tension wrinkles on the side.

Also, never underestimate how much stuffing you'll need for this. You'll seriously need at least six bags of fluff. My guess would be closer to ten. I made a decently sized stuffed goat, and even with six bags it was still floppy.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"