Author Topic: Finding a place to fit in within the cosplay community  (Read 2058 times)

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
Finding a place to fit in within the cosplay community
« on: July 24, 2011, 07:24:23 pm »
I thought it was that, or handing them out to the most accurate looking, which a barely recognizable Ryu cosplay probably doesn't qualify for.

I want to say I had fun looking around the mall, but it felt like everyone was in their own little groups. I don't know if anyone other than me knows what it feels like being the only one by yourself and not knowing what you can do to change it. Walking into a meet with no friends, no money, and a valid but shabby cosplay really sucks. Plus being a guy as old as I am in a con community where more girls cosplay doesn't help either.

There is no Help and Advice child board. Most either already know what they need to know, and the ones that don't, drop off forever in disappointment. I don't plan on dropping off, so what advice can someone give this old otaku dog?
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
Finding a place to fit in within the cosplay community
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 08:44:14 pm »
I don't go to the meetups, so I don't know that it's comparable to your situation... but I can say this about being older than the average within the con community in general: It does make it extremely difficult to fit in with some circles. But in the con community, as in life, there's always a group where you can fit in. It might not be where you look the first time, or even where you look the seventy-third time, but there is.

If you aren't able to fit in with the group you want to fit in with, that absolutely doesn't mean there isn't one. But the only way you can find where you fit in is to keep looking. Sometimes that means looking even harder in the same spot, sometimes it means looking somewhere new. And sometimes what you need first and foremost is to be honest with yourself about it. But regardless, I know you can find a place somewhere. All you need for that is to still care about people. And obviously, you do. (^_^)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.