Author Topic: Large props question?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline qiaokeli

• Oni
Large props question?
« on: January 28, 2013, 12:22:53 pm »
Is there a specific maximum length/width/height that a prop cannot exceed?
I've been wondering since I haven't been to Kumoricon before, but the other anime cons I've been to have a maximum for large props.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Re: Large props question?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 01:04:57 pm »
As far as I know there's no "official" maximum, but I would say that if it's too big to fit in the elevator, or fit through a regular door, then it's too big to carry around at the convention.

Generally speaking, the halls of the hotel can get rather crowded, and huge prop tend to annoy the other guests because they have to try to get around the thing.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 02:24:24 am »
In addition to what was posted above, large props are very inconvenient. You unfortunately won't see very many people getting out of the way of such props even if they have plenty of room to go around. Try to keep that in mind when making your prop and it will be a lot easier on yourself and your handler if you have one.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:27:56 am »
Be aware of your surroundings. That is the greatest bit of advice I can give. I had a 7' harpoon to carry around last year, and aside from fitting in the elevator, I didn't have much trouble transporting it because I kept constant awareness of where I was in relation to everyone else around me. Be courteous with your prop and others would hopefully do the same for you.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Figgles

• Chibi
    • Figgles Deviant Page
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 11:40:10 pm »
Large props are harder to handle. I made a scythe a few years ago and had to assemble it outside of the hotel because it was to big to fit into the elevators and hallways. It was fun to have for the photoshoots, but I recommend that if you want to have large props try and keep them outdoors. Also be aware that you'll have to carry the prop. I had Roxas's keyblades last years and carrying both of them around was a problem because they were both fairly large and heavy. To sum up, be careful of the area the prop is going to be in and how heavy it will be. :)
Cosplay '14: Elliot Nightray(Pandora Hearts), Aoba Seragaki(DMMd), Karkat(Homestuck), Aelita(Code Lyoko), and Oz Vessalius(Pandora Hearts)

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:49:35 pm »
This is a smaller con (as in space). If you have a large prop, I'd suggest staying out in the park as much as possible. Or just not bringing it.

Of course, it really does depend how big we're talking about here. There was an Inuyasha cosplayer who had an 8 foot (possibly more) tall sword and I thought it was ridiculous that they were trying to go around the hotel with it...
If your prop is just a little bulky and not taller than yourself, then just be careful.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline qiaokeli

• Oni
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 09:40:26 pm »
Adding more.. What about a scythe? Probably a foot taller than me, around 6.5 feet. and about 2 feet wider than a person's shoulder width?

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 11:00:07 pm »
I don't know about larger city schools, but the elementary, middle, and high school I went to growing up had similar sized hallways. Perhaps you can use that as a gauge (including how crowded it can get) and estimate whether or not your prop will fit in easy enough. Also remember there will often be people lining the walls waiting for an event which restricts space even more.

I'm 6 ft 6 in tall and have no issue with height restrictions btw (though the wings I wore as Kefka I would have to duck under certain doorways.) A scythe should be a lot easier to manage than something attached to your back.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Figgles

• Chibi
    • Figgles Deviant Page
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 02:31:54 pm »
I pretty much has a scythe about as big as you described. Mine was split into two pieces to move throughout the hotels and then I assembled it outside. It was the only practical way to get my scythe around. Another friend of mine had one though(made of lighter weight material) and it was pretty easy to move around the hotel. Only downfall was you have to take the stairs instead of the elevator with props that big. :)
Cosplay '14: Elliot Nightray(Pandora Hearts), Aoba Seragaki(DMMd), Karkat(Homestuck), Aelita(Code Lyoko), and Oz Vessalius(Pandora Hearts)