Author Topic: Hallway Awards?  (Read 4006 times)

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
Hallway Awards?
« on: September 11, 2006, 03:19:04 pm »
I honestly didn't see anyone handing them out, or anyone who had one this year.  Is it because we were understaffed that nobody had time to do them or something?
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Hallway Awards?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 04:22:56 pm »
This was miscommunication between myself and Nyco. I as given the camera for Hall cosplay photos but I had thought there were forms you guys would need to sign. Halfway through the con (when I rembmered to ask about forms) I was told to take pictures of badges for the contest.

There was a winner though. It was a Roy Mustang known as Kalark. He got pretty lucky since we recognized him.

So, sorry about that. My bad.
I'd especially like to apologize to the four cosplayers that came by the suite specifically to enter. You guys were great. i'll be sure to give you some special recognition since you went tothe trouble of signing up and everything.
That is, once the pictures are up online.  :cry:  :cry:
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
Hallway Awards?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 05:01:06 pm »
I thought Hallway Cosplay awards were sorta just handed out by staff members who saw great cosplay.  Lots of them were given out @ K-con '04.  I won one, so did a lot of people.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Hallway Awards?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 12:01:14 am »
Quote from: "MistressLegato"
I thought Hallway Cosplay awards were sorta just handed out by staff members who saw great cosplay.  Lots of them were given out @ K-con '04.  I won one, so did a lot of people.

Yes..... well...... I was not informed of such at 2006.
I was recruited to take pictures and presumably gather information for judging on Monday morning, with an award being given out at closing ceremonies. That was the original plan.

This is something to think about next year.
Perhaps the Programming director can make two new managerial positions:
Cosplay Contest Coordinator and Cosplay Contest Assistant.
One for the event and one for the halls.
Stark was pretty much the C^3 this year as it was so it might as well be an official job.

As for the other job, well, you'd need to have staff that could actually ROAM the halls rather than scurry through them in a panic.  :wink:

We'll see what the actual staffers have to say when they reply.....?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline shadowsong

• Oni
Hallway Awards?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 08:42:30 am »
i realize i'm cross-pollinating cons here, but i'm going to be running both hall cosplay and the cosplay contest at sakuracon next year (theoretically) and i had some ideas for how to run hall cosplay.

currently, hall cosplay is limited by staff availability; space to inspect and photograph costumes without blocking hallways; record-keeping capacity to keep track of names, characters, badges, and permission to use pictures; and the time and luck needed for a judge to see every good costume before the con ends or the cosplayer changes clothes.

with aleeza's (or other photobooth coordinator's) approval, i'm planning on having people at sakuracon who want to be in the hall cosplay contest go to the photobooth to get their picture taken. at a predetermined point (probably the end of each day), the hall cosplay judges would go through all the contest pictures taken that day to pick winners.

that way, if you see someone with a good costume, you can tell them to go get their picture taken instead of telling them to wait there while you find a judge. you'll already have pictures to post on the website. the photobooth already has a system for getting permission to use pictures, and it's one central place to which everyone, contestants and judges alike, can be directed. you'll only need judges for half an hour or so at the end of each day, instead of roaming around looking for winners for three days straight - the rest of the time you'll only need a photographer who was going to be taking pictures all day anyway.

granted, it depends on the photobooth staffers having both time and space to deal with everyone who wants to show off their costume, but that can be dealt with by assigning photobooth a bigger room or an extra contest-only photographer if necessary.

this is still in the planning stages until i get word that photobooth doesn't mind me volunteering them for stuff, but it seems like a workable plan to me. i'll let you know if it bombs at sakuracon, so you'll know whether or not to try it at the next kumoricon.

Offline ObiJay

• Sailor Scout
Hallway Awards?
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 12:58:27 pm »
That photobooth idea is pretty good, if they go for it. That way you are guarunteed a decent quality picture, and don't have to worry about someone jumping in front of your camera, funky lighting, etc.

So you've been saddled with running the show huh? Stark already burned out?

Offline shadowsong

• Oni
Hallway Awards?
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 01:42:59 pm »
nope, stark volunteered to run all of live programming instead. anti-burnout, in a way.

Offline ObiJay

• Sailor Scout
Hallway Awards?
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 03:13:45 pm »
Brave souls, both of you.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
Hallway Awards?
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 06:17:58 pm »
The way it was done in 2004 was like . . . a few people were designated to hand out costume awards to people they saw in the halls with great costumes.  They were given a ribbon and then we got sent to an open room to have our pictures taken so we weren't standing in the hall and takin gup space.

Sailor Naboo coordinated me thinks . ..