Author Topic: websites  (Read 3445 times)

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
websites
« on: September 09, 2006, 08:59:50 pm »
Are there any good websites or even books that would help somebody new to cosplay?  Something that gives advice on what works and what does not.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
websites
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 11:51:23 pm »
You can go ahead and ask questions here!  There are lots of websites out there to help out new cosplayers.  I used to have one, but my friend deleted her domain and murdered my site!

Any particular questions? There are lots of super-pro cosplayers at your disposal right here!
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
websites
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 08:53:16 am »
Quote from: "MistressLegato"
You can go ahead and ask questions here!  There are lots of websites out there to help out new cosplayers.  I used to have one, but my friend deleted her domain and murdered my site!

Any particular questions? There are lots of super-pro cosplayers at your disposal right here!

Ha ha where do I start.  Ok.  Well my first idea for a cosplay is Etoh from Record of Lodoss Wars.  Now my only guess on how to get an idea of the design of the costume is to get as many different screen capture angles of him.  But then where do I go from there?  Again I'm sooooo a cosplay virgin here  :oops:

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
websites
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 09:19:39 am »
As legato said, try asking things here if you have any questions. A lot of them can probably be answered pretty well by us.

Though if something can't be answered here, head on over to www.cosplay.com and you can find answers to pretty much any question you have. Just make sure to do a search on the question first ^-^
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
websites
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 01:00:09 pm »
Well, in regard to refrense pictures, it's not so much looking for pictures from different angles, as pictures which highlight different things.  Like, one that's a full body and shows the whole thing at a glance, then a few zoomed in pictures (probably from different angles) which show what the shoes, trim, accessories, and so on, look like.  Then, once you have an idea of what the costume looks like, go to a sewing store and try and find a pattern that's as close to it as possible.  Then start making changes to the pattern as needed.  How much sewing experience do you have?

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
websites
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 01:34:46 pm »
Quote from: "Rushifa"
Well, in regard to refrense pictures, it's not so much looking for pictures from different angles, as pictures which highlight different things.  Like, one that's a full body and shows the whole thing at a glance, then a few zoomed in pictures (probably from different angles) which show what the shoes, trim, accessories, and so on, look like.  Then, once you have an idea of what the costume looks like, go to a sewing store and try and find a pattern that's as close to it as possible.  Then start making changes to the pattern as needed.  How much sewing experience do you have?

Not very much really.  I'm pretty much new to it all.

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
websites
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 10:48:20 pm »
Quote from: "jasonqdavis"
Quote from: "Rushifa"

Not very much really.  I'm pretty much new to it all.

Well, in that case I really recomend an outfit which involves minimal sewing (say, making a shirt, but buying the pants), or at least one which you can find near perfect patterns for.  It all depends on what patterns there are out there; I can't really remember what Etoh wears.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
websites
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 11:39:32 am »
I always reccomend gettin' some sewing experience under your belt!  To tell the truth, my first two or three cosplays I did hand stitching everything because I was afraid to try a sewing machine.  HOWEVER, it's soooo much easier once you've learned how!

My grandma taught me.  Try to find someone you know who will teach you.  If  not, get teh book for said machine and read it and practice with it.  It's not terribly difficult, really!

For first cosplays, also, I tell people to go to Goodwill and search around for things that are similar to your character's outfit.  Then you can buy it (already sewn!) for cheap and alter the crap out of it!
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
websites
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 11:59:46 am »
I hadn't even thought about the sewing machine issue!  I actually took a class on that in middle school, and I always have my mom handy (or at least a phone call away) when I'm working with the machine, so she can help me problem-solve as things come up.  It's very useful.  I never know when something, like the needle breaking or the thread sticking, will happen ^^;