Author Topic: Barefoot Gen  (Read 4914 times)

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
Barefoot Gen
« on: August 01, 2006, 01:39:35 pm »

For those who've never heard of this anime, it's an older one that's about a kid and his mother who try to survive WW2 after losing the rest of their family in the bombing of Hiroshima. It's similar to Grave of the Fireflies in that respect, dealing with loss of family, survival and living in Japan at that time. It's simple character design and animation make the story that much more emotional and heart-wrenching, much like Now & Then Here & There's use of soft character design.

The point of this thread is to let you guys know that it's being re-released on DVD in a few days. If you like films that display war from the civilian viewpoint or emotional stories in general, I very much recommend this.

http://www.geneonanimation.com/barefootgen/

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Barefoot Gen
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 05:59:53 pm »
Hmm..I'm watching Now and Then, Here and There right now and I like it so far..so perhaps I will have to check this out.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Kouta

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/yukasumire
Barefoot Gen
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 06:03:39 pm »
Quote from: "Trumby"
Hmm..I'm watching Now and Then, Here and There right now and I like it so far..so perhaps I will have to check this out.

Thats such a good anime. (now and then here and there)
Because 10 billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral... it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness. (love that quote)
I will check out this one as well (barefoot gen that is)

Offline miaki

• Cabbit
Barefoot Gen
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:47:15 pm »
that's good to hear that's it's going to be on DVD. it was such a good movie and really sad if i remember correctly (been too many years since i've watched it)
visit My Deviant Art Account

Kumoricon 06:
Day 1 - Killua (HunterXHunter)
Day 2 - Haruhi (Ouran Host Club)
Day 3 - Shinsengumi person (my traditional K-con outfit, ever since 03) or Tetsu (Peacemaker Kurogane)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Barefoot Gen
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 08:09:32 am »
Well, I haven't seen Now and Then, Here and There myself, but I have seen Grave of the Fireflies.  Aside from how it started, that was a great war-themed movie.  I will have to check out this Barefoot Gen.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Barefoot Gen
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 10:31:49 pm »
I just watched Barefoot Gen..and wow, it was definitely a very good movie. Anyone who hasn't seen it, I definitely recommend it :tup:
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline nonomi

• Cabbit
Barefoot Gen
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 11:57:38 am »
I had to watch it in my japanese class last year...It was so hard not to cry in class, because if I did, I would have been so made fun of that's it's not even funny...We also had to watch Grave of the Fireflies...I DID cry in class with that movie.
Thinking hurts and thoughts dont rhyme.
To those of us who've never tried to find a face behind our lipstick smiles, and as our pretty faces die our broken hearts will wonder why the makeup just won't hide the scars of time.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
Barefoot Gen
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 12:04:52 am »
I saw the DVD at Suncoast the other day. Apparently it contains both Barefood Gen and Barefoot Gen II, set three years after the first.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Barefoot Gen
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 11:31:22 am »
I'm so glad they're releasing this movie on DVD.  I tried renting it from Netflix last year, but it obviously wasn't there as it was VHS only there at the time.  I've heard it's a really good movie, so I look forward to seeing it. ^.^
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.