Author Topic: How did you get your handle?  (Read 11139 times)

Offline manekineko

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviant
How did you get your handle?
« on: April 14, 2007, 05:23:45 pm »
Out of curiousity, I'm wondering how everyone got their forum handles?
Just explain your name and how you got it!

I'll start!

Handle: Maneki Neko
Meaning: Stands for lucky cat, or welcoming cat. A good luck statue common in Japan.
How I came up with it: My name IRL is Katherine, but I've gone by Kat since 6th grade. Hence I am the Lucky Kat. Haha, pund!

I never said if I was good or bad luck. I'm just lucky.
Absolute '07 Cosplay
Rukia School Uniform - Bleach
Android 18 - DBZ
Kairi - KH2
I think, haha...

Offline manekineko

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviant
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 05:30:55 pm »
Quote from: "Mr_Mustash"
Well mine is kinda weird. I one day decided that i needed my own emotocon. so i make this guy -> |:<|

I decided that he looked like he had a mustach. I could never really spell good, so i spelled in mustash. And there's where I go "Mr_Mustash from"

Haha, I totally didn't notice it until just now that you spelled it wrong.
Absolute '07 Cosplay
Android 18 - DBZ
Kairi - KH2
I think, haha...

Offline Killer_Tofu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 05:49:28 pm »
Killer_Tofu

this name refers to the fact that I love to kill things in videogames and I LURV violent/bloody movies <3 but IRL I'm a Vegan that eats a lot of soy because I disapprove of hurting/killing animals (ppl I know like to point out how funny they think that it is)

I later remembered (when someone pointed it out) that "Killer Tofu" was the #1 hit single from "the Beats" on the cartoon "Doug" :P so now I has a theme-song lol

My Badge name / cosplay alias, "KiTo-chan", is the short version of this
Have YOU heard the good news of Jenova?

Offline TheInsanePuck

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpuckjd
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 05:58:54 pm »
Insane Puck comes from me when I use to play Football so I got called insane F*** so I made insanepuck then it became theinsanepuck... so yeah there is my handle...

its better then my other nicknames like bubba... or buddha although I kinda like buddha... so yeah
Insert Whitty Comments here...

oh yeah and BOOOSH
Sakuracon Security Coord 7 years running

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 06:00:41 pm »
Handle: Kimiski

Meaning: Apparently in Japanese it means "I like you" But thats not its intended meaning. It really has none.

How I came up with it: Ever since I was little I wanted to become a Manga-ka, and wanted a pen name. I asked Angi my sister, to find me something that had to do with the moon. I guess she just wanted to get rid of me, cause she looked in a dictionary really quick and said it meant Moon somethong or other. So for about 7 years until I started learning Japanese thats what I thought it meant. And I used it for everything, deviantart, myspace, forums, random websites, youtube, friends and enemies knew me by it, teachers, starngers, ect for years, so it was too late to change it. I leanrned that Angi must have meant Tsukimi, which means Moon Watching.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Killer_Tofu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 06:16:51 pm »
Quote from: "TheInsanePuck"
Insane Puck comes from me when I use to play Football so I got called insane F*** so I made insanepuck then it became theinsanepuck... so yeah there is my handle...

its better then my other nicknames like bubba... or buddha although I kinda like buddha... so yeah

crazy good or crazy bad?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 08:54:41 pm »
Quote from: "Killer_Tofu"
Killer_Tofu
I later remembered (when someone pointed it out) that "Killer Tofu" was the #1 hit single from "the Beats" on the cartoon "Doug" :P so now I has a theme-song lol

And here I was thinking that's where you got it from. ^_^
"Aw, Ee, Oooo, Killer Tofuuuuu.  Uu, Ee, Uuuu, Killer ToFUUUUUUUUUUUU"

Handle: Negima

How I came about it: I'm a big Ken Akamatsu fan and I feel in love with his work with Love Hina (the characters and the style, not the fan service :p ).  Before I was about to join the forum I had gone up to Kinokuniya bookstore and saw that Akamatsu had another manga out called "Negima."  When I wanted to chose a username I was thinking something Love Hina-related but my mind went with Negima instead.

Offline Kotoumi

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • tumblr
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 09:41:03 pm »

Handle: Kotoumi

Meaning: I write it with the kanji for harp and sea...so Sea Harp  =D

How I came up with it: Maple Story.  I wanted to be Koto, but it was taken, so I added mi (Kotomi) but it was taken, so I added the u (Kotoumi) and it stuck.  I didn't realize it could mean sea harp until about six months afterward.  xD
Umbrella Duelists - Oregon Captain ☂

KumoriCon 2014
Red Riding Hood Belgium | Maid Belgium | Myrmidon Olivia

Offline TheInsanePuck

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 10:46:22 pm »
Quote from: "Killer_Tofu"
Quote from: "TheInsanePuck"

crazy good or crazy bad?

Crazy as in good... I was always first string in football till I quit... I normally played like 3 quarters a game on offense and defense most of the time... the coaches loved me so yeah crazy good...

oh yeah and BOOOSH

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 11:47:10 pm »
my best friend's nickname in middle school and high school was batman, and he neded a nemisis so i became superjaz (jaz being a nic-name since little short for jasmine)
thats one thing i have a lot of batman things to remind me of my friend who sadly died, and some of myfriends dont know about my friend so they just think i'm a big batman fan not kowing what it means to me
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline manekineko

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviant
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 01:13:34 am »
Quote from: "superjaz3p"
my best friend's nickname in middle school and high school was batman, and he neded a nemisis so i became superjaz (jaz being a nic-name since little short for jasmine)
thats one thing i have a lot of batman things to remind me of my friend who sadly died, and some of myfriends dont know about my friend so they just think i'm a big batman fan not kowing what it means to me

That's awesome jaz. Cause now everytime you post you can think about your friend. Your name is like a dedication. Very cool.
Absolute '07 Cosplay
Android 18 - DBZ
Kairi - KH2
I think, haha...

Offline shadowfox

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/airotciv87
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 06:11:17 am »
i just kinda got stuck with my name...just because i like foxes (typical, i know  :roll:  ) and i work graveyard, so hardly get to see the daylight since my bedtime lands anywhere between 9am-5pm
i am asthenophobic, Cleithrophobic, dinophobic, and geroscophobic.

but i am NOT Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic

Offline Lit_of_Fey

• Chibi
    • http://yuri-lawliet.deviantart.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 10:24:33 am »
I'm not exactly sure how I came up with my name. The fey is in reference to solitary fey, or the courtless faeries (for those of you that study faerie mythology) Lit is kind of close to my name (lily) and I like the word lit, brings thoughts of light, also literature and english X3 so yes. That's my weird weird explaination.
Someday...I'll get around to you.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 12:50:27 pm »
I made in when I was a total nerd in 8th grade. XD I was thinking "what's cute?" omg nekochanndesuuu.

I want to change it now to "Miss_Caroline" or something though. D:

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 01:20:13 pm »
Boogiepop is the name of one of my favorite anime characters, and think that these things ~ look cool :lol:
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 02:49:39 pm »
Handle: Totemo_Oishii
Meaning: "really delicious" in Japanese. :3
How I came up with it: my old username used to be "oishiidesuyo", which also means pretty much the same thing. for some reason it stopped working, and i came up with "totemo_oishii". my email is "sugoidesuyo", which means "really awesome"...hahaha. :3
why delicious? because it's funny when people call for me saying "oishii!!". ;D

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 06:22:29 pm »
^ Our Neighbor Totemo!

You would have to ask my mother how I got my handle. But since I started using the Internet, and could never use my name, I just went with jaybug. Maybe too much so, as I have it on the liscense plate of my car, my work email. I am turning my name into jaybug, instead of Jay.

It was always better to be called jaybug than to have my mother use all three of my names to get my attention! Hark, I hear my doom calling!
Have Fun

Jay

Offline BoredHorror

• Chibi
    • http://www.boredhorror.deviantart.com
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 08:42:21 pm »
Mine's from when Lord of the rings first came out. My friends and I, being the nerds we are, made our own movie parodies and they are the most ridiculous things in the world now but at the time they were hilarious.
anyway
there was this one scene, I was aragorn and my friend was being 'crazy' eowyn. She was supposed to run at me while my other friend was supposed to be singing the psycho music since it was a 'scary' moment. Well, we kept laughing and had to keep refilming the scene so by the time we finally got through it my friend singing the music was really bored and we laughed about how it sounded like bored horror.
then whenever we made movie parodies we always put 'a bored horror film.' at the end.
and that's it. haha, I just needed a screen name one day and started putting 'boredhorror' for everything
-Mikae

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 08:59:06 am »
Runa (von Rosenburg) is my Society for Creative Anachronism (http://www.SCA.org) name that I've used since 1986, so it only made sense to us it as a forum name since I already answer to Runa in the same way I'd answer to my legal name.  :D

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 10:14:37 am »
I was playing Axis and Allies and I made every one wear the hat or helmet from the country they were playing.  I put on the German helmet and said I'm Field Marshall Von Dan
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 10:35:01 am »
Pie Row Maniac

I was really tired one night and came up with it before I fell asleep. I started using it before I started making AMVs (pre-2001) and used it for just Tribes at first. Then it spawned from there to be my main online handle for practically everything.

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 10:48:34 am »
Heh, funny story; So the reverend Fred Phelps came to Portland, to spew his pathetic bigotry, and, seeking a novel form of protest, me and my friends came up with the idea of making our own Bible quote signs as a response to those wielded by the WBC folks. Our message was "the Bible says a lot of wacky ********, so woe unto he who takes it litterally" so our signs said things like "mules are an abomination" (true). The best sign, which I was sporting that day stated that according to God, "Pi is Exactly Three" This came from 2:Chronicles verse 4.

Also, it's something Professor Frink said to get the attention of a room of sqabbling scientists on The Simpsons.

----------------------------

Modified due to foul language
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 01:50:51 pm by kylite »

Offline TheInsanePuck

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 11:25:59 am »
^ that is so the win if I ever heard it....

oh yeah and BOOOSH

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 11:40:07 am »
makichan
well, the japanese exchange student (who was AWESOME btw) in my freshman year thought that I had the same name as her, even though mine is marquise (sounds like markee) and seeing as though a lot of people have had a hard time spelling my name, I've been dubbed maki through texting, cell phone contacts, cons, and japanese class. The only reason why it is makichan rather than maki was because someone already has the name on the forums *shakes fist* even though they've never used it xP
bagh!
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 03:18:47 pm »
Quote from: "Lit_of_Fey"
I'm not exactly sure how I came up with my name. The fey is in reference to solitary fey, or the courtless faeries (for those of you that study faerie mythology) Lit is kind of close to my name (lily) and I like the word lit, brings thoughts of light, also literature and english X3 so yes. That's my weird weird explaination.

Yeah right Lit, you're just messing with us.

lit_of_fey
eyi_off_L

You just wanted people to keep their eyes off your L and made a typo.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 03:41:11 pm »
When I was interviewed for the newsletter I actually told this story, but it's so long I wish I had the log of that chat.... Here we go.

Back in the day I'd have all sorts of different nicknames online. I never really had a solid nickname out in real life because I was usually the only guy named Tom. I got the name Tee-Moss from a friend once and I used it a lot online because I thought it sounded neat.

However, as a roleplayer I tended to use some sort of persona whenever I was posting in a chatroom or on a forum rather than just being myself.

When I met Vallie I was trying to get everything I could for my Harley Quinn fandom. I was obsessed so I got a new email name, loyalfanboy. I had embraced being the obsessive fanboy and it really helped the relationship (Vallie ran a Harley Quinn fanpage back then).

Around that time my fave comic book Knights of the Dinner Table had a crossover with a new fcomic called Fans! and I loved it. I sent away for the back issue and my enthusiastic letter from across the country was rewarded with the next issue of the comic as well as an apology that there wouldn't be any more hard copy issues. The comic was being forced to move online for cost reasons.

When I went to the site to join the forums I decided that I didn't want to hide behind some nickname or persona anymore so I called a spade a spade and started going by Tom the Fanboy. Fans! eventually had a character named Tim the Fanboy for a time before he turned evil and was killed and I was suprememly honored. I even cosplayed Tim at the San Diego Comic Con where I got to meet Fans! creator T Campbell.

http://tee-moss.20megsfree.com/images/ComicCon/IMG309.JPG

When I came to Kumoricon later that year I dove into the old forum headfist and actually managed to get to 1000 posts before those original forums died and we got to the one we have today.

So there's the whole story. I've never felt the need to be "Tomu no Otaku" because I'm into way too much other stuff to justify a Japanese name of any kind.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 07:37:53 pm »
Mine is a simple one.

I live in Washougal, WA and I'm an anime fan (Otaku).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 11:30:51 am »
Quote from: "Washougal_Otaku"
Mine is a simple one.

I live in Washougal, WA and I'm an anime fan (Otaku).

BRILLIANT :shock:

Offline AprilMarie

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/theoneandonlyamr
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 07:59:45 pm »
I wish i thought of a better handle  but uhhh mine's my first and middle name x.X My last name is Rainey..I don't know what my parents were thinking >.>??? April Rainey
"Too Fast To Live,Too Young To Die"

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 08:12:39 pm »
Could be worse, could've been named May Rainey.  Or Lotta. Could have been one of the Hogg twins, Ima and Ura. Yes, those are their real names.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2007, 10:42:26 pm »
Wow, you guys have all these cool stories.

I'm just a lazy bastard. My real name is Dustin, so I used that.

Yeah, really lazy. :D

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 04:10:44 am »
Waffles!!

Well 4 years ago I needed a name for a game and someone already had Ushikami and akusai so I decided to use waffles! because the line  from the lady killers went through my head, then I kinda of just used it for everything and dont mind if peopkle call me it anywhere.

They are the eggman I Am THE WAFFLES~!~
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Killer_Tofu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007, 08:48:09 am »
Dustin: I love that Cretos(sp) is a "catgirl" rofl

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2007, 09:08:42 am »
mine is a stupid story. My original handle years ago was Heretic because I never fit in anywhere but when I came to the internet (from the land of ancient BBS's) that name was taken and I needed something new.   I took two different things and combined them

my sister had said she wanted to be called "sky"

my father said I was the "light" of his life.

skylight + a little trimming down became KYLITE

later I discovered that kylite was a rare metamorphic rock. LOL

so much for inventing something unique.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2007, 11:56:07 am »
Quote from: "Waffles"
Waffles!!

Well 4 years ago I needed a name for a game and someone already had Ushikami and akusai so I decided to use waffles! because the line  from the lady killers went through my head, then I kinda of just used it for everything and dont mind if peopkle call me it anywhere.

They are the eggman I Am THE WAFFLES~!~

Aww.  I thought it had something to do with this.  The title Character, Sugar loves waffles and every time she gets excited, yells "Yay! Waffo!"

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2007, 12:23:52 pm »
My astrological sign is Scorpio and Antares is the red star at the center of the constellation. Yee.

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline MEDIC!!!

• Sailor Scout
    • FBook
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2007, 10:56:12 am »
im actually a medic for the us army
during the 2006 con i was staffing
and somebody got hurt or something
i dont quite remember for sure

anyways after i became the medic for the con
whenever something started to go wrong youd
hear somebody yell MEDIC!!! and see me running
1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 G37 L41D
Liquid Snake: There's A Killer Inside You
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Boom Baby Boom! I'm The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2007, 11:06:47 am »
Well, mine is rather simple. I put kurosakiichigo because Ichigo is my favorite character from my favorite anime, Bleach. The 666 is because I think it's fun to put 666 after everything. Not because I'm a satanist or anything, but because I think it's funny that people think I'm satanist just because I have 666 after my name. It just goes to show how dumb and stereotypical people can be :P
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2007, 12:27:44 pm »
Quote from: "kurosakiichigo666"
 I think it's funny that people think I'm satanist just because I have 666 after my name. It just goes to show how dumb and stereotypical people can be :P

Spoken like a true Satanist.
Lavey Revival Satanist that is.  :D
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2007, 11:14:02 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
Quote from: "kurosakiichigo666"
 I think it's funny that people think I'm satanist just because I have 666 after my name. It just goes to show how dumb and stereotypical people can be :P

Spoken like a true Satanist.
Lavey Revival Satanist that is.  :D

sorry but that was perfect!!
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2007, 10:19:23 am »
then again i'm super and i'm jaz what else is there

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2007, 10:45:09 am »
When I was younger my sister's friends used to call me leashy and I hated it because I though of like a dog leash.. Then I got into anime and all my friends started calling me leashy-chan and I have loved the name since then ^^

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2007, 11:55:01 am »

Um, how is jaz different from Jazz?  I assume you're a big fan of John Coultraine, Charlie Parker, and Louis Armstrong, no?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2007, 03:59:02 pm »
Quote from: "pieisexactlythree"

Um, how is jaz different from Jazz?  I assume you're a big fan of John Coultraine, Charlie Parker, and Louis Armstrong, no?

Jaz is phonetic. As sounding in Jasmine....
I've never heard her listen to a single jazz song, it's all anime themes and jrock.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2007, 08:18:22 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
Quote from: "pieisexactlythree"

Jaz is phonetic. As sounding in Jasmine....
I've never heard her listen to a single jazz song, it's all anime themes and jrock.

yup j-rock all the way
i dont like jazz cuz its used in jazzy and people would call me that when i was younger to talk down to me so i no like it
jaz one z one z and one z only