Author Topic: Koi Kaze - OMGWTF?  (Read 3962 times)

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Koi Kaze - OMGWTF?
« on: November 20, 2006, 12:05:46 pm »
I just watched Koi Kaze last weekend.  Has anybody else seen this, and if so, what are your thoughts (besides just your initial reaction which was probably exactly the same as mine)?

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
Koi Kaze - OMGWTF?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 01:19:04 pm »
I haven't seen it, and I doubt I will. When I first read about it I was just too creeped out by it. I know there are more than a few things out there dealing with incest (heck, one of my fav anime characters Hakkai has "issues") but one that focuses on that AND the fact that the brother is 27 and sister is 15 is just more than my stomach can take.

I prefer something akin to Asturo and his "sister" Yuka in Kaikan Phrase. They grew up together, but aren't related by blood.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Koi Kaze - OMGWTF?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 01:45:15 pm »
I watched the first two episodes, freaked out, and got it as far away from my person as physically possible.  Seriously, wtf!?
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Koi Kaze - OMGWTF?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 03:03:26 pm »
First of all, why is "the pervert" a stock character in anime?  I'm begining to notice a pattern...

Also, this actually aired on TV.  I'm guessing the subject matter is either considered more acceptable on Japanese TV, or the networks there (and studios, i.e., Geneon) think their audience is interested and can handle it.  Worst of all, the show was just so damn well made!  Geneon obviously committed a serious budget to the production.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  I'm confused and squicked out.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Koi Kaze - OMGWTF?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 03:08:26 pm »
It's not that it aired on TV in Japan, but what time slot did it get on what channel?  We still show weird stuff state side on tv but just not on at three o'clock for the kiddies.

It probably got a late night run on pay-per-view or something.

I know Stand Alone Complex showed on pay-per-view over there, so it's not unheard of.
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Koi Kaze - OMGWTF?
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 06:43:18 pm »
Well, this is the first time I've even heard of it, & after reading that little bit from Wikipedia, I've gotta say that I'm a little curious.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Koi Kaze - OMGWTF?
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 09:23:42 am »
Quote from: "Washougal_Otaku"
Well, this is the first time I've even heard of it, & after reading that little bit from Wikipedia, I've gotta say that I'm a little curious.

Well, if you've got the stomach for it, I say go for it!  It's not like it's a crap production or anything.  In fact, quite the reverse: production values are high, writing is excelent, acting great (I watched the sub) and the art is fantastic.  It tells a rather awful story, but it tells it exceedingly well.  My main complaint, and perhaps this is what elevates this work to actual art, is that by viewing a piece in which the main sympathetic characters are the incestuous couple, we see their side of the story, and that makes the viewer feel like they are tacitly complicitious.  Therein lies the squick.  Watching the Legend of the Overfiend or something like that doesn't make you feel all that nasty, because it's securely in the third person context (not to mention that it's just downright silly).  By contrast, the realism of Koi Kaze makes the viewer an accomplice, by placing him/her partially in the mind of the pervy main character, or at least showing the viewer the world through his eyes.  

Great art, however, is usually the stuff that evokes much discomfort in the viewer because it engages him/her in a dialogue on a subject which is too charged to touch in any other context.  This is why we consider the arts a priveleged commnications medium.

Offline MikaRin375

• Catgirl
    • http://www.freewebs.com/anime_rice
Koi Kaze - OMGWTF?
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 10:03:38 am »
It was interesting. Hahah I kinda like it but it IS weird. A bit messed up.
Thinking of a new siggy ^.^