Author Topic: Unique Kumoricon experiences  (Read 6017 times)

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
Unique Kumoricon experiences
« on: March 31, 2007, 10:48:46 pm »
For those who have attended Kumoricon more than once, how has each experience been different from the last?

For me:
Kumoricon '06:
Making cat ears
Meeting Tiffany Grant
Attending a pool party
Playing Story Story Die

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 04:53:13 pm »
Kcon 04 was my first, and my first anime convention all together so there were ALOT of nerves there. Like the debate I think every noob goes through, will I be the only one in cosplay? Truth is if you're not in cosplay you're more likely to be looked at weird. Everything was new and exciting. In 04 were just gonna go for one day, but because the staff wasnt expecting so many people, my sister and her friends who didnt pre-reg werent allowed in that day but guranteed to be let in the day after. While me and my friend could go in, since we pre-reg without knowing we payed for an all weekend pass. So we drove all the way back to salem and up again. OMG and who can forget the anime duck duck gooses game in the middle of the lobby?

Kcon 05 was the first time I stayed three days away from home, cause we stayed all three days of the con in a hotel. I member as soon as I walked in the pocky club was doing a conga line and I couldnt get past them, lol. And some girls were doing a senior project on anime. Everything was still new kinda since I was there for all three days, and that was the first time I saw the glomp hall.

Kcon 06 felt more being at home then coming to something new, but it was still awesome. Instead of being 14 I was 16 so I had alot more freedom to walk around the con without my sister and do stuff I wanted. I was also experienced more with cons so there was no too much luggage and I had planned out everything I wanted to do and see instead of rushing around and missing stuff.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 08:55:56 am »
Well, I've been attending conventions since 1986, and had attended SakuraCon a few times before KumoriCon even started so the first time we went to KumoriCon was 2003... It was nice, small, cozy convention. I entered (and SOLD) stuff in the Art show, as well as participated in several costuming panels.
2004, was the year of over-scheduling as I was a cosplay judge and had many panels to run. During the cosplay judging us judges nearly passed out since we or at least *I* hadn't had anything to eat all day...someone kindly gave us some leftover pieces of pizza, which we attacked.
2005, I missed it because we went to CascadiaCon, which was held the same weekend as KumoriCon, but ran for 5 days instead of 3 (maximizing convention fun for us). My husband did run down to Portland on Saturday to do Kumroi's AMV competition, but I stayed in Seattle at CascadiaCon.
2006, I did lots of panels and cosplay judging. I was a lot busier because I was staff rather than just a panelist... it was a lot more crowded than the earlier KumoriCons and has grown tremendously. I prefer the small convetion feeling and hope that someone will start another anime convention in this area so that we can spread out the attendees to 3 or 4 local conventions rather than just 2...
This year, I'm Cosplay Manager... I seem to be in the habit of getting myself more deeply involved in conventions (becoming staff, that is) as I get older...

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 01:51:58 pm »
it seems like the more you go the busyer you get cuz you know what was fun for you and what wasn't, so you go to more fun stuff and you get to go to new events
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 02:37:27 pm »
2003- My pal Ian and I are dressed as Goemon and Jigen from Lupin. We are trying to borrow Pezcat's car. Pezcat was dressed as Lupin so we went and harassed the other Lupin cosplayer (who was busy with a special event) for his car keys. That was great.

2004- Singing the "Doom Song" at the Gir cosplaying photo girl every time she walked past my reg desk.

2005 - The debut of Pocky Club. It was such a rush having a standing room only panel that ended in a now-legendary conga line.

2006 - Riding home to Beaverton and back 3 times during the convention due to various near-emergencies. Also, the Pocky Club panel was a ghost town since opening ceremonies had started late and therefore running late.

I've only gotten to actually be at ONE opening ceremony for Kumoricon and that was the first.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 08:02:45 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"

I've only gotten to actually be at ONE opening ceremony for Kumoricon and that was the first.

I havent been to any. We never seem to get there early enough BUT THIS YEAR we are going up the night before on Augast 31st since we wanna get all our Artist Ally stuff, so Ill beable to make it this time! WOOT

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 12:00:44 am »
Yeah..Pocky Club Panel was very...ghostly...It would have been better if there were more people..I would have been able to start a friggin' riot. lolx
I like goats.

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 04:49:58 am »
Hm...

My memory sucks.

2004 - First anime con I'd been to... I've been going to cons since 2002 but it was my first anime con. I was relatively excited. I took the bus with my buddy from Milwaukie to Portland... Boy was that interesting. I think I took a bus every day from my house up to the Marriot, joy.

That was the year my buddy and I did the whole t-shirt ninja schtick and did the sign thing in the lobby. It's vivid because we got pocky to kiss each other (I ended up kissing two guys that year, both times with my mask on >.>) and enjoyed random shenanigans. I don't remember too much from this con, I played Dynasty Warriors for so long down in the game room... I think I ended up getting a little buzzed on the gas fumes since it was next to the garage -_-

2005 - Volunteered that year and ended up doing alot of registration stuff, also sold some K-Con shirts and what not. That year was kinda meh, it's not that it wasn't good, heavens no, but most people I know didn't really show up and I only had like a couple people to hang out with on any sort of basis.

2006 - Staff security so I was like "I'm mighty and you're not" or something like that. I first played Para-Para last year which was fun (and easy thanks to my Dance Maniax experience.) I ended up in the game room alot when I was doing security. I ended up missing the Tetris Attack tournament and was emotionally devastated, but I got a chance to play against the winner and numerous other people which was awesome... First time I've ever played that game in public.

Met Tiffany Grant and anyone who knows me knows that I am an Asuka fan boy (need proof? Look no further than my signature) unfortunately, I was WAYYYYYYYYY too shy to really talk to her.

I also remember being really flippin' tired, I went to sleep no earlier than 2 AM every night of the con and woke up no later than 9 AM... I think I accumulated 13 hours of sleep in 3 nights since I couldn't really sleep the night before the convention. By the end of the convention, I was wearing sunglasses like, non stop, just to block the light from bothering me.
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 08:13:17 am »
Quote from: "Eternal Yamcha"
.... tired, I went to sleep no earlier than 2 AM every night of the con and woke up no later than 9 AM... I think I accumulated 13 hours of sleep in 3 nights....

I've always said, if you get a full night's sleep at a convention, you are either not having fun or seriously ill...
If you get little to no sleep during the convention, you're having a blast... This is the reason I ALWAYS take the day after the con off from work to make up for all the sleep I skipped.

Huzzah for caffiene...the con-goers' friend  :shock: .

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 11:42:36 am »
Quote from: "Runa"

Can you believe the health nuts are trying to keep caffeine out of the con suite? Sure a few staffers went the whole con without caffeine but we're not all so fortunate.

I know my room is going to have my mini fridge to store some Rockstars for me and Propel for Vallie (I swear she's gotten addicted to that stuff).
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 09:06:40 pm »
Kcon '03 - My first convention.

Kcon '05 - I went up on stage for the first time.  Man that was a rush. ^^

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 10:04:15 am »
2006 - Winning my first AMV contest award from a con. Also got to meet Tiffany Grant and Kirk Thorton, who were both great folks. My friend came in the room and said "Kirk!". Because we share the same name, he and I both perked our heads up at the same time, like merekats. :lol:

2005 - Being at the Inuyasha dub panel and playing Inuyasha himself. I was baaaaad...

2004 - Being hugged (read: man-handled) by Chris of Bakazoku at their panel when I offered them cookies.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 02:29:42 pm »
Any memory involving Chris Vance (let us not mention Baka Zoku too much >_>) is bound to be awesome.

In 2004 I came into my hotel room to find him giving one of my roomates aback rub! For a couple hours  I kept giggling "He was hanging out in my roooooom!" :D
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 02:48:08 pm »
Ah, but Chris has his evil side. He took one of the Japanese noren I had on display in the art show WITHOUT ASKING  :(  and hung it up in a panel room to use for the "Anime dating game". Now, it would've been OK if they'd asked, but it really upset me to see them using it -- and then they negelected to return it until near the end of the con after I'd hunted them down and gave them a piece of my mind... :cry:

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 08:37:50 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
Quote from: "Runa"

Can you believe the health nuts are trying to keep caffeine out of the con suite? Sure a few staffers went the whole con without caffeine but we're not all so fortunate.

I know my room is going to have my mini fridge to store some Rockstars for me and Propel for Vallie (I swear she's gotten addicted to that stuff).

Woah woah wait? What about keeping caffeine out of the con? O.o

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 05:54:36 am »
No, not banning it or anything.

The convention has a "con suite" where staff can go to catch their breath and get a snack. Traditionally it's filled with junk food because that's what geeks like. However a ....group of people in the staff want to be more responsible about what they're feeding people so that nobody suffers dehydration or malnutrition during the convention. It's complicated.

However, just in case the convention doesn't supply it, bring your own. Whoever you are.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 08:21:00 am »
Given that 90% of the time hotels supply in-room coffee, as long as you're staying at the hotel, you should be able to obtain free coffee at your room. Also, I'm reasonably certain that there's a Starbuck's or similar nearby since Starbucks are EVERYWHERE in the Pacific Northwets.  Bringing your own caffienated drinks is also a good idea since the hotel prices for sodas is usually 3x the going rate.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 08:44:03 am »
Coffee, ick.

FYI, The hotel lobby coffee shop sells starbucks coffee.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 03:44:32 pm »
Well, my second kumoricon ('05), Chris gave my entire family hugs. That was HILARIOUS because my sis is totally non-touchy, and my mom was just shocked out of her mind. Uuuum... oh! Played strip poker that same year, that sure was interesting. First time doing that. And in the same year I was walked on a leash... that was an insane year.

This past year was more... calm. But at the same time, not, as the character I cosplayed was a little more popular than others I've done. So the attention, though not unique, was quite different than what I'm used to. I was called Pimp alot. B) (cyber cookie if you can guess who I was, haha). I also had my first photoshoot, the final fantasy one. ^^

I can't wait for this next year. As I shall be 18!!! Bwahahahahaha!!!! >D ... there will be no sleep for me. XP
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 05:44:18 am »
Look, I like Gatorade and not puking or suffering from dehydration as much as the next person... But I'm fiendishly addicted to caffeine.

Gatorade + Rockstar = Gloriousness.

Don't quote me on that.

Another memory I can't believe I've apparently suppressed is the impromptu cosplay skit we did for K-Con 2004. We had a few Street Fighter cosplayers and some T-Shirt Ninjas, heard that registration for the competition was ending in an hour and all decided to make a skit and sign up for the competition.

We won exactly 0 awards!

But I'd be danged if it weren't fun.
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 08:34:34 am »
uniqu k-con expernce
well last year i brought my friend nic i was like
"there are a lot of nice peeps you see every year but some times its hard remebering names , i dont know too many people well"
(then every person in the con who i am on a first name basis with passes by
:hi jaz hi super hi jaz hieee"
no really i no know every one!?!?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 10:24:28 am »
I've never been to Kumoricon, I've only been to one con in my whole life, Sakuracon 2007. It was amazing. I was Bankai Ichigo from Bleach. On saturday though, I dressed up as a Yaoi boy for the last part of the day. That was fun. I walked into the Yaoi Press room and EVERYBODY turned around and looked at me admiringly. Yeah, that was fun.
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 09:23:58 pm »
It's really hard to choose special/unique moments. >w<

2005 was my very first con, and I was so happy that someone asked for my picture the second I walked in the door!! I was mostly surprised, tilting my head like "wuuuh? ... okay!" X3 That year I also got Joshua Seth's autograph. :3 AND I was part of that super awesome pocky club conga line. ;D Heck Yeah!

2006...I got lost from the person I was with, so I was alone a lot of the time, usually speaking with random cosplayers. I got to meet some people from Deviantart, which was pretty spiffy.

I hope 2007 will be even better!
I'm so excited to be part of the Ouran Host Club panel!! ♥