Author Topic: Signs.  (Read 4212 times)

Offline KooriSama

• Oni
Signs.
« on: March 18, 2007, 10:24:36 pm »
<<... I think I tried to send an e-mail asking about this and it was never answered. I don't know if this has been asked or not. But Signs...

Why exactly are they prohibited? (IF..I read it right.)

And is there a way to get a sign approved somehow? ...

Just wondering. :D

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Signs.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 12:44:33 am »
I *think* that only signs offering a service are banned.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Signs.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 01:20:07 pm »
i think another issue was over crowding the hallways with people holding signs and people stopping to read then
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Signs.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:20:39 pm »
Displaying of signs not produced and approved by Kumoricon Executive Staff (i.e. “Glomp me”, “Hug the Ninja”, “Room Party Info”)

I think thats freaking Ridiculous.
Glomping is just part of anime cons, Its been around far longer than Kummoricon and most every other con. And so is "The glomping hall" And whats wrong with wearing a sign that says "Hug the ninja" Its not like a sign that says "Come have sex with the ninja" and how is it soliciting? Its not saying "Hug the ninja for money." I dunno, I think thats seriously the stupidest rule Ive ever heard of at a convention.

And this dumb excuse "Cause it blocks halls" Lines to events block halls, are we not gonna let people line up for an event anymore? And weraing a sign and walking doesnt exactly "block a hall"

:/ I think this rule should be killed or changed. Half the fun of a convention is things outside of scheduled events, like the glomp hall, random funness of people, ect.

Like last year our Sailor Pluto walked around with a sign that said "Hug me, Im no longer a planet." Cause right before the con it was confirmed Pluto wasnt a planet. How it THAT offensive?

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Signs.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 01:10:56 am »
in regards to hugs, its a matter of proper consent form one individual to another. We have had instances of con-goers being glomped or hugged when they did not wish it either ruining their costume or scaring them or in some cases causing injury (running glomp anyone?)

In regards to blocking the halls. all lines are shunted to the sides of halls to keep an open walkway as per fire code. when lines form of people with signs, you get the universal condition known as rubbernecking (traffic) which clogs the hall from one side to the other.

These rules are in place to protect both the con AND the con-goers AND the hotel. I know you and others find these rules to be offensive and I am sorry for that but from past experience it is far better to be safe then sorry.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Signs.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 07:34:34 am »
You know where you can go with your signs this year?
The park.

The park across the street is friggin AWESOME and huge. Plenty of room for people with signs over there.

Keep in mind that every year since '04 we've had at least three signs that WERE objectionable and got complaints. It's their fault they have to shut everything down. If you love your sign that much put it on a T-shirt.  :wink: Then it's your costume.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Signs.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 12:18:22 pm »
and it's kinda hard to say " these signs are alowed but those aren't"
also that way when people DO see signs they know they were put there by the people running the con
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Signs.
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 02:45:14 pm »
Quote from: "kylite"
in regards to hugs, its a matter of proper consent form one individual to another. We have had instances of con-goers being glomped or hugged when they did not wish it either ruining their costume or scaring them or in some cases causing injury (running glomp anyone?)

I'm not seeing what that has to do with signs, though. Especially since most of the signs *were* giving concent.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Signs.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 05:04:43 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
You know where you can go with your signs this year?
The park.

The park across the street is friggin AWESOME and huge. Plenty of room for people with signs over there.

Keep in mind that every year since '04 we've had at least three signs that WERE objectionable and got complaints. It's their fault they have to shut everything down. If you love your sign that much put it on a T-shirt.  :wink: Then it's your costume.

Woot!!! loop holes!!! *goes to buy $5 white T-shirts*

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Signs.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 07:36:29 pm »
What if I had a sighn at the repair station "Will work for aunts"
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Signs.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 07:41:38 pm »
:lol:
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Signs.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 11:40:10 am »
Signs are prohibited because a lot of them could get you arrested or fined by the cops. And we don't want that to happen to you. (It also makes Kumoricon look bad to the local government and to parents, which is why we don't take a "you're on your own" policy.)

As the policies currently state, you can have your sign approved in advance by a Kumoricon Executive, and those will be allowed.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Killer_Tofu

• Sailor Scout
Signs.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 03:38:43 pm »
I know that at Sakura-con there was a booth selling "Glomp Me" buttons that came with a disclamer :P
Have YOU heard the good news of Jenova?