Author Topic: Haibane Renmei Dojinshi  (Read 6131 times)

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« on: December 03, 2006, 09:35:51 pm »
Does anybody have a copy of the original dojinshi, "Charcoal Feathers in Old Home"?  And I don't mean the set of four published in spring 2002.  I think the original one-shot dojinshi was published around 1999, and I haven't been able to track down a copy.

Even if you don't have it, feel free to post anything else about the series in this thread.  It is, in my opinion, the best. anime. evar.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 01:07:06 am »
I want to cosplay Rakka so bad.   :cry:

But yes, it is a great series.  I especially love the soundtrack.
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 02:18:10 pm »
Quote from: "princessfrodo"
I want to cosplay Rakka so bad.   :cry:

But yes, it is a great series.  I especially love the soundtrack.

Right on!  Rakka's a perfect choice for lots of reasons.  For one thing, the Haibane get their clothes from thrift stores, so you can too!  Also, the halo-holder is actually a part of the costume.  All you need is some hair gel to make those pesky strands point up toward it.  

Here are a few links I found:
How to make Haibane wings!
A group of Haibane
Some dude's car
A group of Italian Cosplayers
A very nice Hikari

Offline CardCaptorConnor-EX

• Sailor Scout
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 07:53:39 pm »
I freaking love Haibane Renmei!  I have only watched the first 7 episodes, and I've been meaning to finish it (I have to pay off my overly excessive library fines before that though :( )
By the way, do you think it's a little weird that I like Haibane Renmei?  I'm 12 and will be 13 in a couple of months.  But I love Haruhi Suzumiya and Kino's Journey.  I guess I like that stuff.
And I would also love a copy of "Charcoal Feathers in Old Home".  Anime companies know of H-B's fanbase- why can't they license it.  Maybe because it's doujinshi?  I sure wouldn't care. :wink:
Watashi wa iroppoi wo motekuru.

But you probably already knew that.

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 08:06:50 pm »
Connor, you're probably just a bit smarter than most, if these existentialist animes appeal to you.  Kino's Journey is probably my second favorite, and bought boxed sets of both.  I can point you towards the 2002 vintage doijins.  Zip files are downloadable here.

Haibane Renmei always makes me cry a lot in the later episodes, so be warned.

• Sailor Scout
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 08:47:24 pm »
I have heard that!  In that form anyway.  I heard that

~SPOLIER WARNING~

The last 3 episodes are extremely emotionally intense.  I'm not afraid of crying or anything (I cry all the time in movies- I bawled during "The Guardian") but I'm not so sure if I'm ready to watch them.  But I agree, Haibane Renmei is a sad series (I hope Reki is able to live a good life, but she is so troubled!).
I love it!

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 09:04:01 pm »
Quote from: "CardCaptorConnor-EX"

The last 3 episodes are extremely emotionally intense.  I'm not afraid of crying or anything (I cry all the time in movies- I bawled during "The Guardian") but I'm not so sure if I'm ready to watch them.  ...

Sometimes it's really not about what you're afraid to do or not but what you've got the stomach for.  I watched Grave of the Fireflies again earlier this week, and it just gets harder and harder to watch every time.  I think I feel the same, albeit to a lesser degree about Voices of a Distant Star.  

The scene in Whisper of the Heart, where the old man arrives with all his musician friends to join in the rendition of Country Roads also makes me moushy but in a good way.

• Sailor Scout
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 09:34:33 pm »
I watched Grave of the Fireflies and I didn't cry.  I thought it was a very great and depressing film, but I didn't cry.  And it didn't really like Voices of a Distant Star.  First of all, I haven't really enjoyed Shinkai's works (I'm not really understanding them) and second, the subs were way too fast.  I didn't watch the dub because of the butchering I heard happened to it.
However, I cried in Junkers Come Here.  I got teary-eyed in Kodocha and Angelic Layer. Hm.

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 09:51:18 pm »
I thought those dubs were actually quite good.  Besides, with a film that's so heavily visual, it's nearly always necessary for me to wath the dub, so I can focus on the imagery.  And as I said, with Grave of the Fireflies, it actually gets a lot more painful with each successive viewing.  My tastes are a bit unconventional though.  For example, one of my recent favorites was Little Snow Fairy Sugar.  That's a bit odd for a 29 year old salaryman.

• Sailor Scout
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 08:12:32 am »
I watched VoaDS subtitled because I read a review on ANN saying that the dub was completely different from the original story.  And it did rely on the visuals a lot, but the animation was top-notch.
And the strange tastes?  I'm just the same way!  My two favorite anime are Kodocha and Haruhi Suzumiya.  And I didn't laugh a lot in Haruhi Suzumiya, and I liked the sci-fi plot
SPOILER WARNING
and the prospect that a person (in this case, Haruhi) is God and can chenge the world with the snap of her fingers.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 04:15:19 pm »
only saw a couple eps in 2003 but loved it and cosplayed as er um, well she wears glasses.....gosh it was years ago.....sorry
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 05:10:01 pm »
That would be Hikari.  Seriously, go rent it as soon as possible.  I've never seen a better anime.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 03:06:52 pm »
Quote from: "pieisexactlythree"
That would be Hikari.  Seriously, go rent it as soon as possible.  I've never seen a better      .

i'll try....i'll start by seeing if it's at the library
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline kyonichi

• Sailor Scout
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 11:04:32 pm »
I just ran across this thread while wandering old posts out of boredom, and as they say, better late than never!  I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for...  It doesn't really have a storyline, it's just concepts, sketches, and the like; but I'm pretty sure it was the first published Haibane work.  I made megaupload, since I didn't really know the DL preferences on this board.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4UX5GPKZ

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 04:17:10 pm »
D: I would want a copy too. I know it's really hard to get a hold of though, and someone I know told me it was pretty much psycially impossible to get it~ Good luck finding it Pie

Ps~ <3 to Yoshitoshi ABe
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 09:06:16 pm »
Quote from: "kyonichi"
I just ran across this thread while wandering old posts out of boredom, and as they say, better late than never!  I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for...  It doesn't really have a storyline, it's just concepts, sketches, and the like; but I'm pretty sure it was the first published Haibane work.  I made megaupload, since I didn't really know the DL preferences on this board.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4UX5GPKZ

You sir win many internets!!!

I have the four later doujins, and can upload if anybody's interested.

Offline kyonichi

• Sailor Scout
Haibane Renmei Dojinshi
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 10:02:42 pm »
It's weird...  I got that one and the four new ones in a torrent with the OST.  They weren't even listed in the torrent description, iirc.  Oh well, nice surprise for me, and now for you too!