Author Topic: Cosplay Patterns  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Cosplay Patterns
« on: April 28, 2007, 05:30:27 pm »
I know lots of people specialize in making and selling cosplay.
So I was wondering if anyone knows or they themselves know where to either find patterns for cosplays online and/or someone who makes them and sells them.

I like making my own cosplays, just not patterns... yuck.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Soubi

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay Patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:27:21 pm »
I never did ever find some, personally. Occasionally there'll be sites breaking down how a costume works, and some store bought patterns that you can modify and use. I know there is one for the FMA military uniform.
SakuraCon '08: Touma (Gravitation) & Zexion (KH:CoM)
KumoriCon '08: Zexion (KH:CoM) & Tatsumi (Yami no Matsuei)
AkiCon '08: Zexion (KH:CoM)
SakuraCon '09: Miku (Vocaloid)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Cosplay Patterns
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 08:33:49 am »
Most people create their cosplay outfits by modifying existing patters, or by creating patterns by draping.

http://www.faerie-fingers.com/ does offer several cosplay patterns. They aren't cheap, but they are quite good as she who makes costumes does a great job with them.

If  you're looking for patterns for traditional Japanese clothing, there are some good books available that tell you how to make kimonos, happi coats, etc.

Folkwear patterns is also a good commercial source of costume type patterns. Folkwear patterns can be ordered over the web, or you can buy them at Fabric Depot.

Cosmode magazine, which is available at Uwajimaya has tons of pictures of cosplayers and usually includes a pattern in every issue. Do note that since it's a Japanese magazine unless you are a tiny person you will have to modify the pattern a lot to make it fit you.

Offline PinqFuu

• Sailor Scout
    • pinqcouture
Cosplay Patterns
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 10:55:17 am »
It's hard being pinq.

Offline Soubi

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay Patterns
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 01:34:50 pm »
Quote from: "PinqFuu"
http://www.janchan.com/

ilu so much. o-o you have no idea.
SakuraCon '08: Touma (Gravitation) & Zexion (KH:CoM)
KumoriCon '08: Zexion (KH:CoM) & Tatsumi (Yami no Matsuei)
AkiCon '08: Zexion (KH:CoM)
SakuraCon '09: Miku (Vocaloid)

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Cosplay Patterns
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 05:31:43 pm »
I always keep an eye out for joannes sales on patterns.   they all ways have one of the four companies patterns for sale at half price and sometimes for 99 cents.  Go and look at the costume and historical sections of the pattern catalogs
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
Cosplay Patterns
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 07:48:03 pm »
wouldnt you more likely run into copyright issues if you were producing patterns? since you would be having them printed and such, and not a handmade thing.  i dunno i would just think it would be a little more stickey.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline PinqFuu

• Sailor Scout
    • pinqcouture
Cosplay Patterns
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 01:29:38 am »
Quote from: "pinkrandomattack"
wouldnt you more likely run into copyright issues if you were producing patterns? since you would be having them printed and such, and not a handmade thing.  i dunno i would just think it would be a little more stickey.

Since many of the costume designs are not made into flat patterns, the way a pattern drafter interprets it is their design. It's similar to the character design, but it will never be %100. If the person is mass producing the pattern and selling it to chain/retail stores, that does cause a problem. Otherwise it's still hand made work of personal interpretation.
It's hard being pinq.

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
Cosplay Patterns
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 01:07:12 pm »
i guess...i mean if you go looking in the costume section of simplicity theres a whole bunch of star wars lotr and pirate costumes.  but they come up with these assy names for them like "fantasy seekers".
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Cosplay Patterns
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 01:21:01 pm »
Quote from: "pinkrandomattack"
i guess...i mean if you go looking in the costume section of simplicity theres a whole bunch of star wars lotr and pirate costumes.  but they come up with these assy names for them like "fantasy seekers".

I have some of those.  The Star Wars Knock off is called "Star Nomads" (So I added space Gypsies called Star Nomads to my Jedi Chicks Fanfic).  The LOTR one is called Seekers of the truth.  I have not bought patterns in a year or so (It was always when my friend Gail was driving and she would stop at Joannes "for a minute" and I'd have to sit in the corner and look at costume books for 2 hours) so I have not seen the Pirate ones
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline BlitzAceTidus

• Sailor Scout
    • BATCosplay.com
Cosplay Patterns
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 12:08:18 am »
its rather easy to frankenstein your own patterns into one. Like my Ed coat for example didnt have a hood. I had to just used a pattern for a hood and attach it. Modifying a pattern isnt as hard as it sounds.

( Since you know me personally xD You can feel free to let me know if you run into a problem and Ill do my best to get you outta that rut LOL)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
Cosplay Patterns
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 11:48:55 pm »
JoAnn's Fabrics has a thick book of patterns that are only $3 each. At least the one in Eugene/Springfield area does. I don't see why any other wouldn't. It shouldn't be incredibly hard to tweak a pattern or add on, I wouldn't think. Heck, only paying $3 a patter, not including fabric price, you can afford to screw up ;)
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Cosplay Patterns
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 08:29:28 am »
... and to add to that: I just got the JoAnn's flyer. June 7-9 all Butterick Patterns are going to be on sale for 1.99 each (And I think the Vogue ones are on sale for something around 3.50 each, too).
The best thing to do if you're "pattern bashing" is to make a copy of the original pattern on either a large piece of paper or some cheap scrap fabric (muslin is common, but hey, if you got a bunch of Aunt Mildred's ugly 60s & 70s flowerprint fabric free, this is a great use for it ) and then tweak from there. I like using the free ugly fabric for testing patterns because it drapes nicer than paper (and doesn't rip!)... plus, you can baste it together and try it on to confirm it'll fit / look right before you start cutting your good / expensive fabric (also note that since it's functioning as a pattern, if you find a piece is too small, you can simply attach a random scrap to the too small section and instantly expand the fabric's size... then once it fits / looks right, you can mark the seamlines with a sharpie pen (and mark locations of cool details on the fabric with the same pen - this way if your costume needs appliques of certain things, you'll be able to test-draw it to confirm that the detail is in the right location. Remember: anime characters are a different proportion than normal humans, so certain details will not be exactly the same shape on a real body as they are on an anime character).  :D

Do bring some of your test patterns and suchlike to the June meeting... I'll be there and can help with figuring out how to tweak 'em. (hmmmm...
sounds like a pattern bashing panel may be called for.)