Author Topic: Kumoricon Article in The Yuuyake Shimbun  (Read 4167 times)

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon Article in The Yuuyake Shimbun
« on: October 12, 2007, 03:51:15 pm »
I picked up an issue at Sushiland today, and was happy to find an article about K-con! I've taken the liberty of typing it out for you guys to read.

Attack of the Otaku
Kumoricon 2007 is the Anime Convention's Biggest Year Yet
Article and photos by John Thomas

Can you name a convention where the main attraction is … the attendees? At an event like Kumoricon with dozens of panels, concerts and attractions, the biggest pull for participants is definitely the “socialization,” according to Kumoricon chair, Meg Uhde.

What is Kumoricon?

Kumoricon, named for the Japanese word for “cloudy,” is a Portland convention held every Labor Day Weekend. The three-day event is routed as an anime convention, but really includes a celebration of Japanese manga, and gaming, but also including karaoke, J-pop, Japanese language…and, oh yes, the costume play. Over the three days the all-volunteer staff and guests present up to 18 hours a day of programming in multiple venues along with a crowded exhibitor’s area full of artists, publishers, and retailers large and small trying to get their names out and grab a  piece of that valuable otaku (super-fan) dollar.

“A majority of people are dressed up,” said Uhde. “Cosplay is one of the bigger reasons people come…nothing says more than I am a [fan of a certain character] than wearing the outfit. Then I have people that come up to me that know who I am, and now we have something in common.”

And the participants take it very seriously Uhde herself has spent more than a year making a single costume. “Most costumes are made by the person wearing it,” Uhde told us. “A lot of people learn how to sew just to do this…it’s about doing it yourself, and then showing it off to people who appreciate it.”

Kumoricon had over 3000 participants this year (an impressive jump from 2257 last year and just over 500 in 2002, the first year of the convention), so making original costumes gets more difficult. “Last year I was the only me,” lamented one costumed attendee, “and this year there are at least ten of me.”

“You definitely want to be the one to do [a character] first,” said Uhde. “…and people are getting more elaborate with what they do. People are really going for the more challenging outfits. Accuracy was always a big factor, but that’s actually starting to wane a bit.” She buys into the idea of “enthusiasm over accuracy.”

And one thing not lacking at Kumoricon is enthusiasm. With programming from 8 a.m. workshops to dances and anime screenings going to 2 in the morning, it wasn’t uncommon to see a cat-eared cos-player taking a catnap in the Vancouver Hilton lobby between events. This year’s location and timing coincided with Vancouver’s 150th Anniversary, at Esther Short Park, putting two very different events right across the street from each other.

Away from the convention itself, “you are going to get funny looks,” commented Kumoricon Vice-Chair Rian Mueller. “But then you have thirty people in costumes coming over, and any problems just face away,” interjected Uhde. “I actually talked to Vancouver’s Mayor Pollard and he told me he loved the participation of our attendees in the Vancouver anniversary celebration. He said it added so much.”

What this writer saw was an extremely excited and happy group of attendees. Although most participants were probably aged 15-25, all age groups were represented with babies dressed in character as well  as a few costumed revelers old enough to be grandparents. It was common to see several characters from popular titles like “Death Note,” “Naruto,” or “Full Metal Alchemist” posing together for pictures. Mario and Luigi might have been two middle-aged guys who were actual plumbers on the side of the ballroom, or two teenage girls presenting their own interpretation of Nintendo’s most popular brothers. A group of pink and blue haired nurses walked around together, and this was the first year of the Lolita tea party, attended by participants in Lolita or maid-type get-ups.

For a group of people that sometimes has the reputation of being non-social, indoor types, there was no shortage of positive social interaction to be seen. Fingers pointed and cameras flashed as another elaborately costumed group entered the many lobby. The only time people weren’t smiling was when they were coolly posing for pictures in character.

With nearly a dozen event spaces, not including the exhibitor’s alley, organizing an all-volunteer staff is a full-time job, and it is no wonder that the original five founders of Kumoricon participate mostly as volunteers or attendees, but not in the busy staff positions. “Every hour I am awake and not at my day job, I am working on Kumoricon,” said Uhde, and Mueller agreed that it took about as much time for the Vice-chair position.

With barely time to catch their breath, organizers have started planning  for 2008, and a few changes and additions are being tossed around. What we know for sure is Kumoricon 2008 will be held at the Portland Doubletree Inn at Lloyd Center. As much as they liked the Vancouver Hilton, it won’t be large enough for next year’s convention.

The increasing growth in popularity of manga, anime and games from Japan, as well as the decreasing number of sci-fi conventions, will mean Kumoricon will grow too big to be a hotel convention in not too many years. Uhde would like to see Kumoricon in Portland’s Convention Center, but the lack of nearby hotels is a big disadvantage. “40% of Kumoricon participants are from out of town,” Uhde informed us. “We had one person come in all the way from Yonkers, New York, just to attend Kumoricon.” But as problems go, it is an exciting one to have.

In preparing for Kumoricon 2008, Uhde and Mueller hope to include more mini-events leading up to next Labor Day weekend, including a masquerade ball to be held in December. These sorts of events help generate buzz as well as act as rewards for volunteers and staff. Returning to the Lloyd Center Doubletree has advantages; since Kumoricon and the hotel have a history, glitches that occur from not knowing each other should be eliminated. Programming will be decided after the elections are held in the first week in October.

Interested in participating in Kumoricon? Go to www.kumoricon.org for information on volunteering, staffing, general meetings and everything else you need to know.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Re: Kumoricon Article in The Yuuyake Shimbun
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 11:21:51 pm »
Neat. Doesn't make us look bad either.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 11:30:40 pm »

In preparing for Kumoricon 2008, Uhde and Mueller hope to include more mini-events leading up to next Labor Day weekend, including a <B>masquerade ball to be held in December</b>. These sorts of events help generate buzz as well as act as rewards for volunteers and staff. Returning to the Lloyd Center Doubletree has advantages; since Kumoricon and the hotel have a history, glitches that occur from not knowing each other should be eliminated. Programming will be decided after the elections are held in the first week in October.
Oh, they are planing a dance in december!
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline PhantmK

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 07:05:53 pm »
I like how this reporter actually represents us well and even went deep enough to talk to the con chair. unlike that local vancouver one did.
Sometimes you just gotta pull out the stops give it your all and know that you will come out the other end alive, well, and ready for the next challenge. 
I'm still waiting for the next one.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 08:36:21 pm »
sweet. what is this publication?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 10:31:49 pm »
Wow, I agree with PhantmK and Trumby. This article is well written, factual, and insightful. I actually enjoyed reading it! Usually I am very nervous when reading something written about Kumoricon. >_>; Thank you for taking the time to post this!!! =D
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 10:48:24 pm »
Wow I really like the depth of this article. It was a lot better than I expected it to me. Thank you totemo for taking the time to type this~

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline Mecha Mecha Media

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 11:02:22 pm »
Hi all,

I am the guy that wrote that article. I can't tell you how happy I am you liked it (I came tonight just to check if anyone had found it yet).

It is in the Yuuyake Shimbun October issue, and there are about 8 or 10 pictures with it. As much as I appreciate totemo_oishii's by-hand retyping of the article, I REALLY hope you pick up the paper, that way the editor will get the picture that Kumoricon attendees are also potential readers of our newsmagazine (a monthly paper in Japanese and English). I do a monthly column about manga, anime, and other Japanese media available in English, and would love to hear your opinions and suggestions.

You can find Yuuyake Shimbun at Uwajimaya, and at most Japanese restuarants in the Portland metro area (Marinepolis, Ikenohana, Sanbi...), as well as at Uwajimaya in Seattle, and some other restuarants there.

If there are other events you know about, I'd love to try to cover them.

My email is mechamechamedia@gmail.com and you can see my blog (which is coupled with the media column) at http://www.mechamechamedia.blogspot.com/

I am already looking forward to next years Kumoricon. I was really impressed with what I saw this year (my first year) and am happy it will be in Portland from now on.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 11:53:10 pm by Mecha Mecha Media »

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 12:29:54 am »
I got a copy at Uwajimaya the other day. It was awesome!

Yes, we look forward to seeing you back again!

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 02:27:45 am »
Thank you, BlackjackGabbiani.

More than the incredible organization that went into the event, I was most impressed by the amazingly positive attitudes all attendees seemed to exude. Everyone was having the time of their lives (and I know how picky and finicky anime and manga fans can be) so that really says something.

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 06:10:40 am »
Hey! Nice to see you here. I was also impressed by the article - if it was bad, I probably wouldn't have typed it out. I was thinking about scanning the paper, but I figured it would be easier to read typed out.  ;D

edit: btw I really enjoy your anime/manga articles!

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 10:55:50 am »
I am glad someone is reading the articles! (Sometimes you just don't know...)

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 08:28:53 pm »
Hi all,

For those who didn't get to see the article, I posted it online today. There are pictures of attendees (maybe even you!) included with the article.

The November Yuuyake Shimbun is on stands now, and I hope you check it out.

December is a "Otaku Holiday Gift Guide" (sorta) so if you have any good ideas for gifts for anime and manga fans, let me know...

(click here to see the Kumoricon article with pics)
http://www.mechamechamedia.blogspot.com/

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 10:10:34 pm »
Hurray.  ;D Going to bookmark your blog now.

As for gifts...

Just to poke some fun, maybe a Naruto headband or a Death Note. XD

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 01:18:35 am »
Hurray.  ;D Going to bookmark your blog now.

As for gifts...

Just to poke some fun, maybe a Naruto headband or a Death Note. XD

Cool, Totemo...I try to update a couple times a week, and I really do appreciate it.

I am mostly thinking "media" type items...DVDs, games, books, CDs... I don't usually go as far as toys and collectibles...though with the new Naruto Xbox 360 game that just came out (or is coming out)...