Author Topic: OFFICIAL Kumoricon 2007 Photo / Video Submission Information  (Read 4525 times)

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
OFFICIAL Kumoricon 2007 Photo / Video Submission Information
« on: November 01, 2007, 04:47:12 am »
We're starting to work on projects for 2008, and one of those is collecting submissions of Kumoricon 2007 photos and videos for a site gallery.  JeffT, the Publicity Director, has tasked me (MichaelEvans) with overseeing the collection and integration of submitted/previously released photos.  Submission of any content must include agreement to the following:

• You took the photo(s)/vidoe(s) your self, or have full ownership rights of the content.
  • You are extending full rights to store and use said content to Kumoricon (Really Altonimbus Entertainment; since Kumoricon is the name of an event it holds.).

With the understanding that our current intentions for use are...
  • Creating a central gallery of photos that show Kumoricon, and/or cosplay at Kumoricon.
  • Possibly (we hope to eventually allow for...) collating the photos by who took them, who's in them, characters that are being cosplayed...

I have created an upload area on one of my personal computers.  Use of it may be a little slow, since it's only on a consumer cable internet connection.  http://kumoricon.mproj.net/upload.php  If you choose to upload your photos here, there are size/time limits noted on the upload page, if you have a case that exceeds them, please contact me.  Submissions may be in any compressed form you can legally create (.tar.whatever, .zip, .rar, .arj, .ace, .7z).  If you do not currently have compression software, 7zip is multi-platform, free, etc (Wikipedia description).

Alternately, you may copy this post in to a text file, and burn that, plus any submitted photos, to a CD/DVD that you can submit to JeffT (Publicity) or my self at a future convention meeting.  Please also note your forum name in a file, or with a sharpie on the top side of the disc.

If you absolutely cannot do either, but have your photos online someplace and want to submit those, please reply and give us permission to 'rip' (likely wget or other auto-download software) the photos and data off the site you name.

Either way, you may also include a file that has your forum name, and a list of captions, matched with filenames, that you would like us to use.  (Pretty much anything that is respectful of Kumoricon and those in the photos should make it in to the gallery.)

This is the raw format that things will eventually become before being integrated in to the gallery.  The filename can of course be longer, this example was taken from a version of the mascot page.

<image filename="a.jpg" caption="Apples (or Oranges)" />
        <image filename="b.jpg" caption="Ookami" />
        <image filename="c.jpg" caption="Randomised" />
        <image filename="d.jpg" caption="Nothing" />
        <image filename="e.jpg" caption="Transposable" />
        <image filename="f.jpg" caption="You can also use sentences." />
        <image filename="g.jpg" caption="Many. Multiple sentences." />

However, an exported CSV/text file from a spreadsheet program would also work (Note, it HAS to be in text format, no native excel / open office files please.)  Here is an example...

a.jpg,Apples (or Oranges)
b.jpg,Ookami
c.jpg,Randomised
longer filename.jpeg,"This field has a comma so it must be quoted, while quotes are optional elsewhere."

You can also replace the commas with tabs, as long as you do so consistently.  Realistically any extremely regular, but simple format will work.  However the above two are probably the easiest.

It May be possible for you to re-caption (or caption in the first place) the photos at a later date.

One final note: I was a new staff member this year.  However, I was in the right place at the right time with the correct hardware (a laptop with the requisite card reader type) to download photos from someone's camera for use during the closing ceremonies.  Unfortunately I never quite got their name, or any other contact data.  At the moment, ~1.8 gigs of likely high quality jpeg photos taken with a very snazzy looking camera are sitting in limbo, still unviewed, on one of my raid arrays.  If you are that individual and want to submit those photos, or want them to be purged from storage, please contact me (MichaelEvans), providing one of the photos (Verifiable by comparison of their checksums/byte streams) to verify that those are your files.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 11:29:01 pm by JeffT »
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
Re: OFFICIAL Kumoricon 2007 Photo / Video Submission Information
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 09:38:58 am »
*boggles at this post*
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 10:45:43 am »
*yawn*
That's very complicated.
I've always wanted to get you guys my pictures though. I guess I'll go burn them onto a DVD this weekend.
Hope I can find them all....

If not there's always photobucket.
http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/TomtheFanboy/
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 11:32:36 am »
You do not have to provide a caption file.  Once that has been removed, it is fairly simple.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/daks_mind
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 05:18:04 pm »
2007_0903con070007.JPG,8249e750064cefb19893485f8f1092de16a94b60,dakrum,1193962329,1463501
2007_0903con070008.JPG,22c49bc17b6db77d9ae984b8d95dbaf1999f4d8d,,1193962517,1579872
2007_0903con070009.JPG,63025d3f734ebf7c4ffc4c48c1d8a3f811d24ae3,,1193962534,1466620
2007_0903con070010.JPG,a541186d1420e9c1916f0b1d7b0822616a3ca81f,,1193962525,1489714

tired and didnt see that it didnt put my name back in the spot.... so ill stop before i do to many like that....
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 11:21:10 pm »
You are correct, I didn't expect it to be used that way and have fixed it so that it will re-populate the forum name field after uploads.  (Please let me know if that breaks anything else.)

The use I expected was that people would upload archives containing the photos, such as zip files, 7z files, etc.  Such archives could also optionally contain a text file giving pictures captions.

- edit -

I've also added a separate page, which will convert the .csv file the server creates in to a list of filenames, sizes, etc.  Useful if you want to make sure your file uploaded correctly, or are curious about who's submitted something already.  It's linked off of the upload page.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 01:53:53 am by MichaelEvans »
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/daks_mind
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 03:35:38 pm »
that is right you did say that... >.<

but like i said i was tired and that state reading that long post that part failed to stick in my head  :P

i will zip the rest and then send it lol
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 01:23:11 am »
By request I've increased the settings on the server.  However I've not altered these variables before this project, and am not 100% sure that they're the only ones I need change (It's possible the limit may be part of the 128mb memory, but it looks like it uses temp files for uploaded files, also dialup users Might be able to upload to me for as long as they can remain connected, I'm not sure if 'parse' time includes the upload or not.), and also unsure if the connections will be handled so well by Comcraptic cable co...

Either way, I've done everything I can to allow for up to 1024mb and over an hour of parsing time as noted now on the upload page.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 01:12:48 am »
Thank you for uploading your snapshots Dakrum.  I was able to test out and refine the thumbnail creation script on that data-set.  As yet, no one else has uploaded anything, but should they do so in the future or submit a CD, the human verification and caption conversion for gallery setup are all that remain.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 10:18:11 am »
Hi Micheal,

I've got two dvd's that I can send to you from The Slants' concert footage... one will be the raw, unedited footage; the other is a video montage of various pieces of footage (on youtube.com/slantsvideos right now (see "Kumoricon Music Video). What address should i send these to?

Regards,
Simon

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 12:34:13 pm »
Well, it depends, mostly on where Jeff wants them to end up (I'd give him a few days, maybe until the weekend to respond one way or another.), but as I am charged with this task, I'll provide my address...  I hope I don't get too many extra ads and crap... anything that won't fit in that tiny little box has to be picked up from the front office...

Michael Evans
5302 SE Baseline Rd Apt 121
Hillsboro OR 97123-6413

(USPS address clarification page)

---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 11:31:48 pm »
Yeah, sending videos and DVDs to Mike Evans is fine. ^_^ We can put video clips online too.

Thanks to all who have submitted!

I'm uploading a couple galleries that staff have given me yesterday and today. Plus my own photos from Mini-con and Kumoricon 2007. (sorry for the delay!)
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 05:03:21 am »
Sorry, I've had a VERY busy last two weeks at work and I didn't see your uploads until this morning Jeff.  Also, for future reference, since there are two 'Mikes' within convention staff (The other one being the convention chair....), I really should go with just Michael and not Michael or Mike to prevent confusion.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 03:40:20 pm »
An update.  I've had one request for response on recipient of packages/dvds/cds.  I will indeed update this with any information on the physical transfer of data.  The website already has a list-only view of submitted photos... which have all been processed for thumbnails, but have not been catalogued to this point.  I also do not yet know where or if Jeff wants me to upload the photos.  Since I am gaining more data, I will draft a request and email him that question this afternoon.

Thus far, the work I have completed has been posted in a semi-secured area of the upload server.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 06:35:18 pm »
Ok, I've still not received any mail, and I know one individual is trying to send it.  Maybe with post-new years it will arrive, but honestly unless it's being sent from outside of the continental US then it should have arrived by now.

The following list of things could have happened in my experience (mostly with netflix disks).
  • Envelope malfunction during rapid machine handling.
  • Hard plastic cases shattering during machine handling and causing envelope malfunction.
  • Insufficient postage. (This is effectively silently blackholed... it's little better then tossing your packet in to a trash can.)
  • Failure to properly include mailing and return addresses. *

The pictured mailer was ~$1.10 at Target today.  You may be able to find them for less.

*Note that such envelopes are perilous for adhesive printable labels, be sure to rub across the stuck on part several times to ensure it can't be easily removed.

The postage that USPS.com's rate calculator lists for this type of package, at aprox 2 ounces is $0.97, which is over 2 postage stamps.  That is from the Seattle area to my zipcode, your rate may vary.

The images beneath show you a good way of packaging it.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 10:10:18 pm »
[text]
Yo, I just wanted to suggest that there might be a way to code the text of your address so only registered users could access it.  It wouldn't be flawless protection, but at the least, it might keep the spambots away from it.

I don't have any from this last year, but if all goes well for '08, I should have around 20-40GB of game room media.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 10:22:42 am »
I'm pretty sure there's no way of doing that with these forums.   Also, it may now be far easier to get my address, but anyone who was mining whois data for domains (mproj.net) would be able to find my info easily...

In completely opposite news, we will have the next general meeting on the 12th, and I plan to attend.  Physical media may be submitted to Jeff or my self at that meeting.  How might you identify me?  I tend to wear a green/black fleece jacket, and green/black REI 'half dome' backpack.  I'll likely also wear the red staff shirt from 2007 again.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 07:57:39 am »
I'll likely also wear the red staff shirt from 2007 again.

Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 09:24:07 pm »
No offense Tom, but that picture reminds me of my driver's license. Maybe the weather will cooperate and I can get a better picture one of these months...

Also, the envelope arrived back to me yesterday, but I was very busy at work and didn't have time to post this...
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 09:20:39 am »
mugshot hah! :D
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 11:12:25 am »
Anytime you want to use a better picture just send it to me. I'll change the one on my staff page too.

I had some time before my ride got here this morning so I started puting all my archives in .rar files.

I'll try and come up with the corresponding text files at some point but I don't know most of the people I took pictures of anyway. Not at the convention at least.

Japanfest%202007.rar,6cd6a8f8e8e83b6ee2202a3df4eab6185389d1e5,TomtheFanboy,1200164881,38793019

I only had time to actually upload this one.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:15:55 am by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!