Author Topic: Starting a food blog  (Read 6676 times)

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
Starting a food blog
« on: January 14, 2008, 10:11:38 pm »
It's nothing fancy-shmancy like 3-star restaurant stuff but I'd like to share my diverse tastes and love of food to everyone~~~ I also like to make bento for lunch sometimes so I'll be posting stuff like that :D Please check it out!

www.neuvisualism.blogspot.com

Edit:
Any suggestions on where to eat would be greatly appreciated! I love trying new places; I'll just have to convince my folks to go wherever I need to go lol. I'd like to keep it around the Portland/Metro area :D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 03:57:27 pm by laurifer »

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Re: Starting a food blog
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 08:39:16 am »
yay, chris and i really want to get bento boxes but the non microwavablness anyoed us but at daiso this weekend we got a 4 compartment microwavable things that for our needs close enough
i will be reading your blog
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 04:17:31 pm »
I agree with you about the monochromatic color scheme. Perhaps some seaweed something wrapping the gyoza, or speckling the dried apricots would have added more color. Don't know how seaweed would do with apricots as a flavor. Or perhaps adding red bell peppers to the chow fun??? I had some chow fun the other night from China Wok in Creswell, the town I live in. Anyway, it was all shades of green. That really didn't sit well with my stomach. But it was quite tasty. Ah, pea pods to go with yellows and oranges!
Have Fun

Jay

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 09:00:45 pm »
or how about chines style bbq, dispite the name can e bakeed and keeps well in the fridge and has anice red color

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 10:59:56 am »
@ Jaz: Haha yeah the non-microwavable ones annoy me too but it's ok cos I don't have a microwave I can use at my school I don't think. And thank you for the suggestion!

@ jaybug: Yeah I don't think nori would go well with dried apricot lol. I didn't have any bell peppers nor peas. I had corn and yellow squash and peaches...curses! I must eat all this yellow food before I make another bento D:<

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 04:29:35 pm »
I visited this really awesome Chinese restaurant when I went to Kumoricon in ... 2004? I wish I could remember the name! If anyone remembers where it was held and knows the area I'm sure they could help me out. =(

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 06:21:54 pm »
We're going to be the foodiest room mates ever.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 06:58:22 pm »
I thought you were going to be college chicks, er co-eds. er what am I supposed to call you? Foodies and students together comprise an oxymoron.

If it weren't for the peas tonight, my lunch would have been all in pastels. I hate pastels, but not necessarily in the foods I eat.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 10:28:06 pm »
...we'll try and be the foodiest room mates ever! :D

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 10:43:02 pm »
Foodies and students together comprise an oxymoron.

Trust me. I'm gonna find all the best places to eat near PSU and we're gonna hit every single one of 'em [I've already got a few spots marked]! And having parents with money doesn't hurt either :D

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 08:59:32 am »
for valentines day i'm going to make chris curry and chicken katstu, he likes the curry with potato chunks and carrots, i'm going to make every thing from scratch but i'm tempted to used those curry tablets they kinda look like bakers chocolate, that you add to the broth and it thickens into the curry sauce, , or to find a recipe online

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 04:07:41 pm »
I found a jar of curry powder at the local Asian grocery here in Eugene. It works well. I am not so fond of the cubes.

Laurifer; I wonder, does Ryan's breadbasket still exist in the Standard Insurance building? They used to have Recession sandwiches for 17 cents. We would put all the condiments they had lying around and load up four sandwiches with it. And my friend George would take the lemons for tea, and get a glass of ice water, and make himself lemonade. They hated us. lol

I used to cook at Hamburger Mary's. I love the Bleu Burger.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 08:56:21 pm »
@ jaybug: According to Google and Citysearch, it doesn't exist anymore. And I can't find Hamburger Mary's anywhere on the internet.

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 09:21:32 pm »
Shows how long it's been since I prowled downtown Portland. It was across the street from where the Fox tower sits.

At least you aren't in Eugene, and trying to be a foodie. ugh. They have no sense of taste down here. If offends every drop of French blood in me! Yes, the phrase Choke-n-Puke is apt for this Duck-burg. You can tell it was founded by New Englanders. Portland would be much the same were it not for Horst Mager, you know, Gustav's?!? The Culinary school was his idea. I know this because my piano teacher's husband was Horst's saucier.

I guess I'll have to get a password so I can look and respond to your blog, or as it is about food, flog! lo

I posted my first comment on your flog!l
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 09:29:29 pm by jaybug »
Have Fun

Jay

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 09:41:47 pm »
Hmm I thought you could post anonymously...haha oops maybe I should change that so ya'll can post haha

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 08:37:07 am »
I just had a cheese bagel for the first time in weeks and by god was it scrumptious

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 09:01:46 am »
Hvae you been to biwa?

http://www.biwarestaurant.com/location.html

chris and i have been there twice, very yummy ramen, aroun 9$ dependin on what you get (the egg is not worth it no matter what the menu says) the soup base is very oishii, tho when we go there i get rice and some of the yakimono's they have, little skewer things cheap 2-4 dollor range, but small but tasty,i got these little wings that came in a big plat but were the tinyest chricken wings i've ever seen, buy they were the tastiest little things, both mr stash and chris thought so

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 07:55:58 pm »
No I've never been there, although I've heard of it *adds to growing list of places to eat* I don't eat out very often :(

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 07:57:44 pm »
haha, I usually eat out at the same places because my family isn't up for new things...

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 07:58:26 pm »
this biwa place sounds very interesting, I will make an attempt to go there next time I want to eat out.

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 10:09:30 pm »
*just looked at the menu*

OH. MY. GAWD. I HAVE to go...the pork belly is calling my name...this almost sounds like an excuse for a meetup :O

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline TheInsanePuck

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpuckjd
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 03:41:49 pm »
honestly go to 23 hoyt its good food but kinda on the pricey side or Oba! if you go to Oba! if you get the chance meet the chef he is the nicest guy you will ever meet or so I have heard but the foods good...
Insert Whitty Comments here...

oh yeah and BOOOSH
Sakuracon Security Coord 7 years running

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 04:00:31 pm »
honestly go to 23 hoyt its good food but kinda on the pricey side or Oba! if you go to Oba! if you get the chance meet the chef he is the nicest guy you will ever meet or so I have heard but the foods good...

I'm assuming they're both Japanese places? I will have to drag my folks to one of these places someday...

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline TheInsanePuck

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpuckjd
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 04:03:10 pm »
no 23 hoyt is more of a new age type of style of food and Oba! is spanish style
Insert Whitty Comments here...

oh yeah and BOOOSH
Sakuracon Security Coord 7 years running

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 04:16:53 pm »
I see!

Maybe I can convince my dad to go to either one for his birthday. They're both not too terribly expensive but all I'm concerned is if my mom and brothers will like it. It looks soooo good! Is there a dress code?

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 05:25:22 pm »
As long as you don't leave looking like a skeleton, they don't care. lol

Toshi's Ramen down here in Eugene is good. The menu seemed as if all soups were pork. And I so wanted to do a Urasei Yatsura '' Beef Bowl!" kind of thing when ordering.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 08:36:58 pm »
Haha I will check that out if I somehow end up in Eugene for some reason

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 09:20:07 am »
biwa is goi ng for the cement walls artsy wood look or maybe they just have cement walls...
no dress code that i've seen also they are home to...
the TINYEST tastest chicken wings in the WORLD!!!!

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 12:30:35 pm »
I'm planning on visiting Biwa tomorrow, so I'll post my review then. It certainly helps that it's walking distance from my house!

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 08:50:01 pm »
I'm planning on visiting Biwa tomorrow, so I'll post my review then. It certainly helps that it's walking distance from my house!

Pick up some of Ken's pizza for me, will ya? :P

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008, 11:46:58 pm »
Well, I didn't go on Saturday, since I was on the mountain skiing all day, and got dinner in Hood River on the way home.  I tried Sunday, only to find the place closed.  Tonight, though, I made it to Biwa on my way home from the gym.  My friend and I split several small dishes, including pork bellies, chicken hearts and croquettes, all of which were delicious.  The restaurant itself was really nice.  It had a great atmosphere and the decor was really good.  It is located in a building which used to house a music venue called LaLuna.  Most of you are probably too young to remember it - LaLuna closed in 1997 or so.  The last time I was in that building, it was to see Radiohead, on the Bends tour.  That was a little disconcerting.  Nonetheless, despite the changes, it was a good experience.  The location is conveniently close to where the next con will be held.  Happy hour is at 9:00 and they have a full bar, and reasonably priced drinks.  Service was good, and the staff were attractive!

Finally, the ramen:  this stuff was unbelievably good!  The broth tasted like a mixture of lobster tails and butter and the noodles were perfect.  I got mine with an egg in it, and I'm very glad I did.  It was fantastic.  In short, Biwa rocks!  I'm very happy to have a place like that open up in my neighborhood and I'd recommend you all try it. 

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 12:27:46 am »
Mmmm~~~ it sounds so good! I'm thinking about trying to go this weekend, seeing I am too tired/lazy to blog about my party.

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2008, 07:13:13 am »
I'd suggest checking out Nacho Mama's. There is one in SE Portland I think (as well as Tualatin across from my house, heh). If you dig mexican food and nachos, the place is the best, in my opinion. Great servings, low prices, awesome taste. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2008, 07:46:17 pm »
told you tinyest tastyest stuff ever

i get a few apatizers and chris gets the ramen i joke i need a straw to steal his broth when he not looking

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2008, 10:28:58 pm »
@ eve: Mmmm we should go sometime!

@ jaz: lol I guess I shouldn't go when I'm starving XD

I haven't been able to blog lately, so I'm on a brief hiatus. My life is pretty much chaotic right now and blogging's the last thing on my mind, so, forgive me ;____;

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2008, 07:00:13 am »
@ eve: Mmmm we should go sometime!

@ jaz: lol I guess I shouldn't go when I'm starving XD

I haven't been able to blog lately, so I'm on a brief hiatus. My life is pretty much chaotic right now and blogging's the last thing on my mind, so, forgive me ;____;

Yes, one of these weekends (when your craziness-level of business goes down) we shall go have some eatz.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2008, 04:49:24 pm »

Yes, one of these weekends (when your craziness-level of business goes down) we shall go have some eatz.

:O

Really?

Danke schön *____*

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 04:51:05 pm »
Uh-huh. ^_^

And since I just discovered Biwa (thank you, Patrick), I'm itching to go there really badly. Gonna have to make some time for these great meal trips, I am.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 04:56:23 pm »
It's so nice to have friends who have interests in food!

Well...I was thinking after my crazy life settles down I was gonna go to a restaurant supply store with Puck and some of his friends and maybe we can go to Biwa's for lunch...and then Saint Cupcake for dessert...I've been dying to go there @____@

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 10:10:59 pm »
@ Pie: LaLuna, was that the Pine Street theatre? I saw Pat Travers there.

I am going up there this Saturday, going to visit my mom in Hood River. If I go early enough I can have a meal with mom and another meal in P-town. Biwa's or this other place downtown that specializes in Asian seafood. I can't remember the name. I haven't been there but people were talking about it here several months ago.

P.S. oh and tonight, I am going home and baking a lasagna! I need to do something with the sliced provolone,as I can't stand much more of it in sandwiches.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2008, 01:17:36 pm »
So, Kahlan-gf and I went to Sushi Takahashi 2 (the smaller branch on 5th, closer to PSU) last night, and it was wonderful! My dish of the night was Suzuki (chooped ebiten and avocado in inari with sweet chile sauce). I was in heaven. Very delicious food. And Britt really dug the Shrimp Shumai (fried shrimp balls), which I, of course, had to sample for myself. Amazing. And we both ate to satisfaction for 12 bucks, not including tip. I just can't say anything bad about this place, haha

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2008, 01:39:17 pm »
@ Pie: LaLuna, was that the Pine Street theatre? I saw Pat Travers there.

That's right.  Pine Street Theater was the venue's name in the 80's and again, briefly, in the early 00's.