Author Topic: Hoping to meet others new to or experienced in Buddhism  (Read 4817 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Hoping to meet others new to or experienced in Buddhism
« on: February 18, 2008, 06:38:47 pm »
I have recently joined a Dzogchen Sangha, i.e., a Tibetan Buddhist meditation and study community. I would love to connect with anyone else in the Kumoricon commnity who is either new to or experienced in the practice of Buddhism, and/or who has studied it academically, and/or who has noted any practice thereof and/or philosophy thereof within any manga or anime. In particular, Buddhist references within anime and manga would be helpful for Kumoricon's annual panel on religious themes and symbolism in anime and manga.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Kirakins

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
Re: Hoping to meet others new to or experienced in Buddhism
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 10:59:05 am »
This is something I'm interested in, too! Haven't gone by any temples yet, but there are 2 here in the Rogue Valley (very Southern Oregon, like, almost California!). In any case, I am always interested in learning more about religion and spirituality, especially those with Asian/Eastern roots.

Planned Cosplay '09

Roxas - Christmas Town, Cyber Punk, and Masquerade. Bringing other versions, too.
Naruto - Shippuden Naru

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 10:57:12 pm »
Ah well I am Buddhist but I don't think I can really help you...there's a lot of different branches of Buddhism and I'm not quite exactly sure what the exact name of mine is. You're probably thinking "shame on her!" but it's like...a natural thing since my parents are Buddhist as well. It's kinda hard to explain ;____;

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 11:42:55 am »
This is something I'm interested in, too! Haven't gone by any temples yet, but there are 2 here in the Rogue Valley (very Southern Oregon, like, almost California!). In any case, I am always interested in learning more about religion and spirituality, especially those with Asian/Eastern roots.

Yeah actually I grew up in a town in which virtually every family had members overseas or who were 1st or 2nd generation immigrants, and about 60% Jewish and 30% Asian; my best friends in Kindergarten were Japanese and Korean, and I used to go with them to their cultural events. One had a dad who'd been in Mazandar (spelling?) ...a Japanese-American "internment" camp in the US in WWII, so I basically in my head as a kindergartener had equated Asians and Jews (my family being Jewish and having members who died in the Holocaust, may all martyred by genocide rest in peace).

You should definitely watch for Kumoricon's panel on Religion in Anime & Manga, there is a lot of reference not only to Buddhist but also Shinto traditions discussed therein :)

I don't see a Dzogchen center listed in my book for that part of Oregon, but if you're ever in the Eugene area on a Sunday morning, you can hop by ours.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 11:45:46 am »
Ah well I am Buddhist but I don't think I can really help you...there's a lot of different branches of Buddhism and I'm not quite exactly sure what the exact name of mine is. You're probably thinking "shame on her!" but it's like...a natural thing since my parents are Buddhist as well. It's kinda hard to explain ;____;

Hey I understand, there's like a dozen or more different thought-threads in Judaism, and most kids who go get Bat Mitzvah'd because their parents want them to don't know what tradition their Hebrew School is following, nor how it differentiates from others'. I'm definitely curious about the varieties in belief systems. My main interest is actually in Tantra, but this isn't really the place to get too esoteric. You could totally help, though, just by keeping an eye out for the panel on Religion in Anime and Manga. Even if it ends up being scheduled for a time you're attending something else, if you think of any anime or manga you've seen (or even any j-pop lyrics, potentially), that rang a bell to you where you thought to yourself, "Hm, that's Buddhist!", let us know, so we can mention it :)

Offline wolfy2491

• Chibi
    • My facebook~
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 02:53:06 pm »

Yeah actually I grew up in a town in which virtually every family had members overseas or who were 1st or 2nd generation immigrants, and about 60% Jewish and 30% Asian; my best friends in Kindergarten were Japanese and Korean, and I used to go with them to their cultural events. One had a dad who'd been in Mazandar (spelling?) ...a Japanese-American "internment" camp in the US in WWII, so I basically in my head as a kindergartener had equated Asians and Jews (my family being Jewish and having members who died in the Holocaust, may all martyred by genocide rest in peace).

You should definitely watch for Kumoricon's panel on Religion in Anime & Manga, there is a lot of reference not only to Buddhist but also Shinto traditions discussed therein :)

I don't see a Dzogchen center listed in my book for that part of Oregon, but if you're ever in the Eugene area on a Sunday morning, you can hop by ours.

There's a panel at Kumoricon about religion in anime and stuff?

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 01:37:41 pm »
Kurosaki corpse delivery service is a manga with a bunch of different Buddhist characters in it
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 12:55:20 am »
Yeah, I'd really like to see that one, Big Guy.

Yes, Guy Letourneau (different from Big Guy), our exemplary AMV contest coordinator, also convenes an annual panel for discussion of religious / spiritual content, characters, motifs, implications, etc., in anime and manga. Last year, we even had as one of our panelists an editor of Neon Genesis Evangelion manga. Panelists included people experienced in Christianity, Judaism, and Paganism / Witchcraft. This year, I'll aspire to incorporate my new perspectives as one meditating in Buddhist Sangha.

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 09:23:04 am »

Hey I understand, there's like a dozen or more different thought-threads in Judaism, and most kids who go get Bat Mitzvah'd because their parents want them to don't know what tradition their Hebrew School is following, nor how it differentiates from others'. I'm definitely curious about the varieties in belief systems. My main interest is actually in Tantra, but this isn't really the place to get too esoteric. You could totally help, though, just by keeping an eye out for the panel on Religion in Anime and Manga. Even if it ends up being scheduled for a time you're attending something else, if you think of any anime or manga you've seen (or even any j-pop lyrics, potentially), that rang a bell to you where you thought to yourself, "Hm, that's Buddhist!", let us know, so we can mention it :)

Okie dokies I'll do my best!

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 01:56:57 pm »
Hi Ellen!  I'm a member of Zen Community of Oregon which is a Soto Zen group, although one of the teachers also studied under a Rinzai school teacher.  I studied some of the southeast Asian sects of Buddhism for Anthropology classes back when I was an undergrad, but only began practicing myself quite recently.  I'd be glad to tell you about what I've learned!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 05:20:59 pm »

Okie dokies I'll do my best!

great thanks!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 05:22:27 pm »
Hi Ellen!  I'm a member of Zen Community of Oregon which is a Soto Zen group, although one of the teachers also studied under a Rinzai school teacher.  I studied some of the southeast Asian sects of Buddhism for Anthropology classes back when I was an undergrad, but only began practicing myself quite recently.  I'd be glad to tell you about what I've learned!

*waves* hi old Sakuracon roomie!
Yes I'd love to hear more....here or email me at
rem_saverem_was_right@yahoo.com

I'm very curious re: differences amongst sects.