Author Topic: Post Secrets About Your Costumes  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Delphi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantArt Page
Post Secrets About Your Costumes
« on: June 02, 2008, 11:51:15 pm »
There are just some things people will never know about your costumes unless you mention it off hand. Some of it is funny. Some of it not so much. Some of it just plain obsessive. And we like it that way! So what are your costume's secrets? Naturally, I start.

My Rinoa duster has glow in the dark wings from mixing glow in the dark paint with the white paint before I painted them onto the fabric. They were literally painted the midnight before we left for the con. My boots for the cosplay are also men's boots since they didn't have any that looked enough like Rinoa's big clodhoppers in the women's section.

The satin parts of my Rinoa Ball Room dress is made from bed sheets from Ross. HUGE money saver and it was quality material too! It was also made in a day and a half before the convention, including altering the pattern, finding the material, and then fitting it closer to my body.

My Riza Hawkeye jacket was accidentally made mirror imaged and it wasn't until I was at the con and look at the other military uniforms that I realized this. I tried to fix but...well...I just usually wear the turtle neck with the pants now. Now you know! There's also a bit of blood on the inside from my mom accidentally pricking her finger while hand sewing. This was also sewn on a broken sewing machine.

My sister's Ellone Costume was made two days before the con. Without her there to fit it. And it STILL worked! Woo! Are you noticing a pattern here? XP

My sister purposely picks obscure characters to cosplay because she likes being walking trivia. She's also come to like being the only one in that particular costume at the convention. (Sakuracon she was the only Ellone to our knowledge, the Sakuracon before she was Kyoko from FMP, and I'm SURE she's the only Catherine Elle Armstrong at both Kumoricon and Sakuracon)

My mom and I purposely picked out the shiniest material we could without going all out glitter for my sister's Catherine Elle Armstrong outfit so she would have the "Armstrong Sparkles" all the time. We were giggling all around JoAnn's. I'm sure people thought were we a little nuts. My sis also searched the entire town over before finally finding a miniature piano in a hole in the wall gift shop.

My sister has worn her real hair in a costume only once. I'm the one that usually cuts and dyes my hair for a cosplay.
Unable to come this year. Sorry guys...

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Post Secrets About Your Costumes
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:04:57 am »
The gun for my Barret Wallace is actually based on an oatmeal container/cylinder. The things you can do with oatmeal containers!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 10:14:55 am »
i made 3 link outfits compleatly from sheet that i bought at yard sales (and 1 sheet i convinced my mom we didnt need..)
5 bucks for 4 link costumes (link 4 sword adventure)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 10:27:55 am »
My younger brother's Tres costume was originally my Abel Nightroad costume... But then he decided he wanted to go to Sakuracon, so I told him to try the costume on and see if it fit. It did, so I set to work making it into Tres-kun. He was the smallest Tres at the con... And that's how he got the nickname 'Chibi-Tres'.

My Larxene wig (may it rest in somewhat-pieces), was originally a wig for a Legolas costume. I unearthed it in a huge pile of things I was originally going to use for a cosplay of Ember McLane from Danny Phantom, and chopped it to bits.

My Yuffie Kisaragi last year was crappy on purpose. I was planning on wearing her Moogle Disguise poncho and hat over it, but it was so hot on con day that I just didn't bother with it. In retrospect, that was a bad idea.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 10:49:36 am »
My Tom Riddle Diary with the fake tooth in it was actually two halves of a fake tooth drilled into the front and back cover of the diary.  I use a small piece of cloth to wrap around it and hide the obvious.  The fun part was I was still able to open it up and people could write in it.

For my Seta/Icchan costume, I bought an actual doctors jacket at a medical store.

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 10:58:19 am »
For my Host Club cosplay, Steven half assed it as much as he could.
There's no lining, so the jacket's very thin. He just added flaps to the sides so it looks like the jacket has pockets.
The buttons aren't even real. He used snap clasps and sewed the buttons on the outside to look like they were real.

I also use the same dress pants/dress shirt for every cosplay that requires a uniform of some kind.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 09:34:07 pm »
This would actually be a legitimate topic in the cosplay chat board.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 02:14:03 am »
My Itachi Fishnet shirt is actually just a skirt held together by twenty different colored safety pins. I don't have any time to sew it and I can't get the damn things out without scissors...

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 06:01:53 pm »
The slippers for my Quina costume were bought as-is from Ross, and they look just like Quina's.

I originally had four "chocolate bars" for my JP costume, but I gave two of them away to some people who were roped into karaoke before their song was ready and consequently screwed up.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 11:53:49 pm »
There are 2 inside fans located in my secret cosplay, and it has many different kinds of interesting things beneath the layers that are on the outer layer.

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 11:55:55 pm »
-.- You suck.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 11:57:18 pm »

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 04:40:21 am »
My haruhi cosplay consists of a collar that i made together in like 2 hours.
The skirt i didn't even make myself. I bought it from Forever 21 for only $10
and the headband I just took a regular headband cut the fabric off, cut gold fabric, made it into a ribbon and covered it.
The ribbons on the side aren't real either, there just fabric made into tubes and folded over.
I didn't even attach it to the actual headband but I used small golden saftly pins ^_^

And my Rin cosplay I took broken headphones, chopped the wires off and spraypainted it white!
The shorts I bought them for only 2 bucks at like tj max.