Author Topic: Eugene, Help Wanted  (Read 2864 times)

Offline nintendiehard

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviant Art page
Eugene, Help Wanted
« on: June 10, 2008, 02:35:31 pm »
Hi there! 

So I've been having trouble finding a good jacket for my cosplay, but finally I find a workable one for not a lot of money at the local army surplus store.  Problem is, it's a trench coat, and I need it to be more like a Navy Pea Coat (at least in length).  I'm still pretty new to all this, so I haven't acquired any mad sewing skills, so is there anyone in the Eugene area who can help me out?

I've got a car, so I can meet you wherever in the general vicinity.  Any other questions, let me know.
I haven't bought it yet, mostly cos I'm waiting to see if I can get any help first.

Thanks for stoppin' by!
Looking for artists!
Eastern, Western...any style!  Contact me if you're interested in working with me on a comic series.  Even if you're only a little interested, audition anyway.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Eugene, Help Wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 03:46:37 pm »
I've previously seen navy pea coats 2 places
salvation army near fred meyer santa clara
and
nobody's baby
by bijou theater
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline nintendiehard

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 03:54:41 pm »
Heh.  Thanks, but I doubt they'll be much help.  The kind I'm looking for is more brown/yellow.  Like http://www.vintango.com/Shark03.jpg (though that picture shows it a bit darker than I want it.)  You can also check my icon.
Looking for artists!
Eastern, Western...any style!  Contact me if you're interested in working with me on a comic series.  Even if you're only a little interested, audition anyway.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 03:58:32 pm »
You know you could use a glue gun (I use the for everything) then all you would have to do is cut the jacket about an inch longer than you want it then fold it twice (make sure that the frayed edge is hidden) and glue it down. If the material is thick enough (which it looks like it will be, just as long as it's not satin) it will work perfectly and you will have no stitching visible.

Offline nintendiehard

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 04:02:20 pm »
Dude....decent idea!  I'll just have to figure out where I can get one.

I'd still like to see if anyone can get it to look more Pea Coat-y.  Or if anyone has seen a pea coat that looks to be the right color at least.
Looking for artists!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 04:05:16 pm »
You can get a glue gun almost anywhere. They have them at rite aid, fred meyer, Joanns.......almost everywhere. They cost anywhere from $2 to $10 and the glue is about $2 per package. I have bought three glue guns in the mast three months (just because I needed one at home and one at school then I took the one at school home but I still needed it x.x)

Offline nintendiehard

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 04:08:40 pm »
"Are you stalking me? Because that would be super."  - Van Wilder

But seriously, thanks for keeping up with me.  It's nice to know someone cares...kinda.
Looking for artists!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 04:12:23 pm »
No problem. Glad to be of some help

Offline Bundyangel

• Sailor Scout
    • Bundyangel15's Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 07:10:09 pm »
Well, if you can get string the color for the jacket, i dont think id have a problem sewing it. I live in Elmira.

I dont know what a Navy Pea coat is, but I can probably sew it to the length in that picture if thats what you want.

[/helpful?]
Cosplay of Kcon '07:
Naminé - KHII
Cosplay for Kcon '08:
Cosplay for Kcon '09

Didn't Happen

Cosplay for Kcon '10
Sakura Kinomoto - 10%
Pokemon Gijinka - 0%

Offline nintendiehard

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 12:23:26 pm »
Hmmm...you really think you could do it?

Here are some helpful pics. 

http://www.vintango.com/Shark03.jpg (Though it's a bit darker than the anime makes it out to be, that's the coat.  My icon shows what it should look like, color-wise)

http://www.americanmystique.com/authentic-pea-coat.jpg  (That's pretty much it, but this one's a bit short.  The thing with these is that they're mostly black, or navy-blue).

The coat I've found is a pretty light tan colored trench coat (only more military lookin' than the kind you see businessmen wearing), so I'm probably gonna have to dye it too...no idea how I'm gonna do that...besides, it's meant to be a waterproof/resistant material.

Anyway, I plan on picking it up (among a lot of other things) today actually (finals are over, so I have some time), so we could meet up later this week and you can judge for yourself if it's a do-able job.  Hmm, Elmira isn't that far, but s'there any way you could make it to the "big" city at all?  I don't mean to my apartment or anything (creepy) but still.

If worse comes to worse though, I'm fine with nikkiolie's hot glue idea...at least then it'll be the right length.
Looking for artists!

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 03:58:52 pm »
As for dying, you should google Rit dye. On their site, they have a list of what sort of fabrics can and can't take dye, so at the very least you can figure out if it's possible to dye the coat. That's all the help I have. ^^;
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman