Author Topic: Kimono sleeve size  (Read 1838 times)

Offline eiji

• Cabbit
    • LJ
Kimono sleeve size
« on: August 25, 2008, 01:50:19 am »
When I started my current costume, I had access to a book that gave the dimensions of the parts to a kimono. I had intended on using kimono sleeves instead of what the pattern I was using gave me, but I took so long making the costume that I no longer have access to that book. So I come to the forums, asking if anyone knows what those dimensions should be. I am thinking that it's 42 inches by something, but I am not certain.

Any help would be appreciated <3

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
Re: Kimono sleeve size
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:07:04 am »
Are you working the kimono to a reference picture, or just a standard kimono?  I believe I've got the book you're speaking of (if it's this one), but if you're working to a picture, you want to make the sleeves proportional to whatever is there.   If you're not, then the question's whether you're trying to do normal sleeves, furisode, kosode, etc ...

Offline eiji

• Cabbit
    • LJ
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 12:12:40 pm »
A standard kimono sleeve. :D The costume is representational, and the sleeves are meant to look like wings. Well, kind of. ^___^

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 03:39:31 pm »
Diagram for kimono pattern (appears to be reasonably accurate, but there aren't any measurements - http://www.costuming.org/kimonopattern.jpg )
Also, http://www.geocities.com/athens/troy/5187/kimono.html gives reasonably good formula for calculating what size to make each rectangle for the kimono.
I do have the "making of japanese clothing" at home... but won't have access to that until later to confirm the real measurements.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 05:53:55 pm »
OK. Have the book now....

The book says that for the long sleeve kimoono (unmarried women) the sleeve is the distance from the top of the shoulder at the neck to the bottom of the kneecap (so cut 2x that length and fold in half). The length of that sleeve = distance from your regular shoulder seam to wrist (length same as normal sleeve). It does not list the proportions for the yukata nor for married woman's kimono.

I pulled out my yukata (genuine deal from Japan): sleeve finished length is 19 1/4" and 'width' from shoulder to wrist  is 14". So double the 19 1/4" and add 2 1/2" seam allowance. What I see as the bottom seam of the yukata sleeve is that they stitched it at 1/4" wrong sides together, then turned it inside out and did a 1" french seam (enclosing the raw edges) to finish the bottom of the sleeve. You will also want to add about 2" to the width so that you can fold over twice to hem the sleeve on the outside and inside. Looks like the shoulder seam is 8 1/2" from fold at shoulder to where you have that gap at the bottom of the sleeve. Then the sideseam is open 5 1/2". That also leaves about 10 3/4" unsewn along the underarm of the sleeve.    ;D

I will likely be bringing that yukata along with me to Kumoricon for further measurements if anyone wants to study its construction.

Offline eiji

• Cabbit
    • LJ
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:35:33 pm »
Awesome, thank you so much. :D Just the information I was looking for!

Much love! <3