Author Topic: New to Cosplay  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Prince_of_Madness

• Oni
New to Cosplay
« on: July 31, 2008, 04:25:27 pm »
I went to K-con last year, but I didn't cosplay.  I am in need of help in choosing what to cosplay (most likely for S-con, given the short amount of time before K-con)  I don't even know where to begin...

My camera likes to take large pictures, so here's a link to my photo; to see if you guys have any ideas on who I should try to cosplay as.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29147582@N06/2721158474/ (hope the picture doesn't scar you for life)

Thanks a bunch!
Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border. I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
Re: New to Cosplay
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 04:33:02 pm »
to be honest what you look like doesnt really affect what you cosplay as

most of us dont really have the same face of those we cossplay :) i certainly dont, although i do recomend paying attention to some body types, sometimes it does look a little iffy when a super strong guy cossplays lets say a skinny bishie from gravatation

so cossplay anyone you feel like! maybe even crossplay xD just have fun with it! although i do recomend start with somethin easy that doesnt requier a lot of sewing if you are new to that too.

good luck
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 05:04:11 pm »
You kinda remind me of Maes Hughes from FMA, but I totally agree with Chihiro that looks don't and shouldn't really affect what you cosplay.

For the time issue, I'd say eBay something premade or check on cosplay.com's marketplace for something that'd fit your body and see if you can get it shipped before the con.

I'd offer to help make something, but I am booked up with 5 costumes, and hardly anything completed. T__T

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 05:09:40 pm »
yeah pretty much, anything(one) you feel like cosplaying is good, I lucked out and found a black dude with dreadlocks with his lip and eyebrow pierced. so I resemble mine alot but yeah its all good. Being King of Pirates I feel obligated to tell you that if ye aint a scurvy ninja feel free to pal arou'nd wit tha rest of tha crew.
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 05:22:23 pm »
well my friends and I were looking for more people to cosplay in our group for sa-con. it's from the new fire emblem game for wii. but as chihiro said you really don't need to go by what the character looks like. body type, yes is a bit of a concern in some cases though.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 06:21:24 pm »
You kinda remind me of Maes Hughes from FMA.
how odd, I was thinking the same thing.
O.o
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

• Oni
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 10:20:22 pm »
Thanks for all the input, it is very helpful.  Maybe if I do more cosplay in the future, I'll look into a wider variety of characters, but I like the idea of Maes Hughes, and his costume isn't really expensive (as far as costumes go) so i'll try him out. 

Thanks again!
Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border. I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:50:06 pm »
You look very much like a friend of mine. But he's not an anime character so that doesn't help you any.

...and the only cosplay I've ever seen him do is Meowth, and that doesn't help any either.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 04:59:38 am »
You actually immediately reminded me of Shou Tucker from Fullmetal Alchemist, but who would want to cosplay as him? I hated that guy, lol.

And I definitely can see Hughes working also.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:03:22 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 08:46:58 am »
Hmmmmm
I can see Tucker as well, and Hughes. X3

If I think of anyone else, I will post immediately!

• Oni
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 10:07:57 am »
You actually immediately reminded me of Shou Tucker from Fullmetal Alchemist, but who would want to cosplay as him? I hated that guy, lol.

Yeah, I hated that dude too.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 07:18:48 pm »
I like Hughes better though. Who doesn't love Hughes right? You can't go wrong with him.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 02:41:02 pm »
True, Hughes was a major fan favorite. And if you have a young daughter, what better way to show her off? lol And if you don't, then you can finally put those photos that came with your wallet to use! ^_^ jk

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 08:38:26 pm »
I don't really watch anime anymore, so I can't be specific...

But really, just take a character you like and cosplay them.  It's not like it's a professional thing, so who cares how close you are to them?  I don't know, I would go around asking people for ideas for my first time cosplaying, because you're doing it for yourself, and I wouldn't want to feel like, "Oh, I don't know who this character is/I don't like them, but I guess people want me to do this so I should."

Really, just pick a character you like.  You're the best judge of who you like and who you'll have the most fun running around as. 

Also, keeping it easy is good for your first cosplay.  My first thing I sewed definitely didn't turn out horrible, but I had no idea what I was doing so there's a bit I would have fixed had I more knowlege... (Unrelated, am I maing sense right now?  I'm really out of it and tired...) And you can always order something on eBay, but sewing is a lot more fun (I think, anyways...) and it's a bit more personal than HEY I'M WEARING SOMETHING SOME CHINESE GUY SEWED I'm not stereotyping!  Really!  I've ordered cosplay on eBay and everything I've ordered has been from China!  Just look at the seller profiles, they're ALL in Hong Kong! D8;;;;

But really, it should be up to you, so choose someone YOU like. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 09:29:15 pm »
I'm not stereotyping!  Really!  I've ordered cosplay on eBay and everything I've ordered has been from China!  Just look at the seller profiles, they're ALL in Hong Kong! D8;;;;
Why did you put that in one point font?
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 09:32:12 pm »
oh oh!

You would make a good Asuma ^-^
Like if you shaved differently and such yush! ^^