Author Topic: I'm seriously about to kill my wig  (Read 6325 times)

Offline Lunartwist

• Cabbit
I'm seriously about to kill my wig
« on: August 04, 2008, 08:12:20 pm »
Okay so, l bought a nice, long, black wig for my Hojo cosplay.
Get it set up, styled, pulled back into a ponytail, bobbypinned, and everything.
And it STILL kept slipping off.
I got so annoyed with adjusting it every 30 seconds that I finally gave up on it and went the rest of the day with my hair pulled back. Safe to say, a dirty blonde, short-haired Hojo is pretty lame. =/
Turns out the ponytail made the wig too bottom-heavy. And the bobbypins were doing squat.

Is there any way to fix this problem?

Offline Bob

• Chibi
Re: I'm seriously about to kill my wig
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:31:32 pm »
could you put duct tape around the inside of the wig until it fits on your head snugly? im a dude, duct tape fixes everything. thats all I got.
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 08:38:45 pm »
for a less ouchy road i would suggest a little double sided hem tape avalible at fabric stores where the notions are, get the kind that DOSEN'T  wash away, i have use it to keep a necklace in place and it peeled off my skin and didnt hurt (much0 i would recomend putting it at the above the hair line sticky stuff+hair = bad
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 08:41:10 pm »
i guess that makes sense, I mean if all the tape were facing towards the wig, you know what , that fabric tape sounds nice go with that.
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline Lunartwist

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 08:41:57 pm »
Still...on hair though? That sounds painful.

Offline risotto

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 09:06:44 pm »
A lot of people who make wigs say you should bring the wig to a ponytail and stub it. Here's the main tutorial people go to.

How long is your wig? If the wig's hair is long enough, you can use the extra hair leftover from stubbing and make wefts and wrap it around the stub and sew it.

http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/tutorials/wigs/ponytails <-- This site has other options of getting the same result and other useful wig info.  :)

Offline Lunartwist

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 09:27:27 pm »
Ah...I might have forgotten to mention that the wig is a low ponytail. Positioned much lile Edward Elric's braid, or Kenshin's ponytail...if that helps you get an idea.

The wig itself, inch wise, not sure, but it falls down to right in below the area between my shoulderblades.

Offline risotto

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 09:51:46 pm »
Oh whoops XD Well, I heard U-pins might do the trick instead of bobbypins. Or somehow add more weight to the front of the wig? If all else fails I think what superjaz said is the best way to go ^^;

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 07:34:44 am »
no not on the scalp, on the bit of your forhead that the wig covers
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 08:08:13 am »
I'd suggest sewing some small combs, the kind used for holding updos and other high hairstyles in place, inside the wig just at the hairline. Provided you have enough of your own hair for them to grab hold of, it should work.

And if you're using pins, use hair pins instead of bobby pins. Bobby pins, which a folded piece of flat metal, don't do anything. Hair pins, which are a bit of wire shaped like a "U", are meant to work against gravity. They're used in updos, wigs...anything where you need to hold one large mass of hair to another. Hair pins are very flexible, and you can basically use them as a short bit of wire--twist them, bend them, whatever you need to do to hold things in place.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 09:21:16 am »
I kind of know what you are going through though. I can keep my wig on but I can't style it the way I want it. Luckily I am using my real hair for Temari so that isn't a huge deal. But I am working on my Albel wig. I want it to look more natural instead of video game like. So I want the back to look similar to Sasuke's (from Naruto) hair but not that extreme. For the bangs I figured they look like side swept bangs and I'm trying to keep it like that. But in the back the hair is not staying the way I want it too.

I also have two rat tails that have wire coming down from them at the base of the wig but it isn't slipping much.

Offline Lunartwist

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 10:58:53 am »
Oooh, thanks for the info guys. o:

I think I might grab some hair pins. They seem the less painful method, lol.

Yeah, I was just using bobbypins, now that I look at the pictures, and I used like...8 of 'em and they did nothing. So I'll go see if the hair pins work. Maybe do a little cosplay test-run.

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 11:33:20 am »
Since the weight of your wig is mostly concentrated in the back, it's not surprising the wig kept slipping. Focus the hairpins in the areas where the most "stress" (weight) is located: directly around the ponytail and along the front edge (above the ears; if your wig doesn't have a skin top, a couple inches back along the top of your scalp). The trick is to be strategic with your placement; think of it like drops of glue or nails. If they're in the right places, you can get away with using fewer pins.

Hair pins can be a little difficult to find sometimes. If they don't have them in the hair care aisle at the supermarket, check your closest beauty supply store. I get most of mine at Sally's, along with a lot of my wig care stuff. They usually come in 2 colors, bronze and black (you might be able to find them in steel/silver if you're lucky). Bronze works for brown wigs and anything lighter. Black's okay but tends to show more unless you've got a really dark color wig. I generally buy bronze because they have the most versatility. Get a couple of packs. Like safety pins, you can never have enough.
Don't be afraid to twist and bend the pins to fit your needs. They're really cheap.

nikkiolie: What are you using to style the wig? For spikes I use Aquanet hairspray, the strongest hold (and cheap, $2 at the grocery store). A lot of people also use got2b Glued Freezing Spray, which I've tried. It's also quite strong, though more expensive. Pretty much all you need is a super-hold hairspray. Style your spikes and blast the crap out of them.

Gel's not very good with wigs, though a lot of people try it. It has a tendency to melt off the wig fiber in the heat and leave you with limp bangs/spikes.

I use pomade when I want a softer style (separating or chunking), and then a light mist of hairspray to hold it in place.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 02:41:44 pm »
I am almost out of my hair spray anyway. I need more for myself so I will check that brand out. I think the wig is almost to the point where I want it. I'm planning on wearing it Sunday so I'll get it done once I put it on.