Author Topic: Convention Hours  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Millenium Strife

• Cabbit
Convention Hours
« on: August 26, 2008, 11:46:30 pm »
I apologize in advance if this question has been asked in the past. I feel kinda bad since I have been to Kumori for the last 3 years and can't seem to remember. To be fair though, I did a search through the fourms to try and find this info.

Considering my involvement with Sakura-Con and Anime Expo, I am used to 24-hour conventions. Does the convention space close down at 1:30 AM and everything shut down until around 8 AM the next morning? Or are con goers free to wander the halls past that time?

The only activities I think would be running would be the video rooms, open mic karaoke and maybe gaming rooms. I cannot find a current schedule posted anywhere, so hence my confusion. Just a quick reply to this would be sufficient, if anyone would be so kind to answer. =)

-MS
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 11:47:10 pm by Millenium Strife »
Kumoricon 2007 Staff-
Karaoke Contests' MC, Charity Auction MC, Guest Host/Liaison, General Main Events Tech Staff

Kumoricon 2008 - Karaoke Contest MC, Cosplay Chess MC

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Re: Convention Hours
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:37:53 am »
Kumoricon is an 18-hour-a-day con. 8am to 2am on Saturday and Sunday. This has been its tradition for several years now. There isn't any programming running between 2am and 8am.

Maybe we will be 24 hours in a future year. :)

You can be in the hotel halls and lobby past 2am, in areas that are open to the public, subject to the hotel's policies and rules. But all Kumoricon event areas will be closed and locked.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:07:02 pm »
You can be in the hotel halls and lobby past 2am, in areas that are open to the public, subject to the hotel's policies and rules. But all Kumoricon event areas will be closed and locked.

To avoid future arguments and misunderstandings, Let me clarfiy further.

The parts of the map above and to the left of the Lanai Suites will be closed to attendees at 2am, they will be closed to minors are 12 midnight.
The parts of the map to the left of REG will be closed to attendees after 2am.
The second floor event hall will be closed to attendees after 2am.

The hotel has no official curfew by age, though it does have it's own rules regarding noise in the guest room hallways. This includes the 2nd floor, in the top part and off the map. Since it outside of conspace you can hang around in the main lobby, the pool, the hall near gaming, the hall leading from REG past the Rounds, and the area outside the hotel are free range. I don't advise hanging around in the parking garage itself but the sky walks connecting the hotel's 3rd and 2nd floors may be a good spot to get fresh air (remember you need a key card to get back in).

This does not include the park across the street, which is governed by Portland Parks and Recreation.
http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/finder/index.cfm?action=ViewPark&PropertyID=186&c=38308
The park is open from 5am to midnight, so it will be closed by the time the convention closes.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 04:35:50 pm »

To avoid future arguments and misunderstandings, Let me clarfiy further.

The parts of the map above and to the left of the Lanai Suites will be closed to attendees at 2am, they will be closed to minors are 12 midnight.
The parts of the map to the left of REG will be closed to attendees after 2am.
The second floor event hall will be closed to attendees after 2am.

The hotel has no official curfew by age, though it does have it's own rules regarding noise in the guest room hallways. This includes the 2nd floor, in the top part and off the map. Since it outside of conspace you can hang around in the main lobby, the pool, the hall near gaming, the hall leading from REG past the Rounds, and the area outside the hotel are free range. I don't advise hanging around in the parking garage itself but the sky walks connecting the hotel's 3rd and 2nd floors may be a good spot to get fresh air (remember you need a key card to get back in).

This does not include the park across the street, which is governed by Portland Parks and Recreation.
http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/finder/index.cfm?action=ViewPark&PropertyID=186&c=38308
The park is open from 5am to midnight, so it will be closed by the time the convention closes.

So, I could just be in the lobby until whenever I wanted, if I was a minor- not attending any panels or whahaveyou, but just... loitering?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 05:33:07 pm »

So, I could just be in the lobby until whenever I wanted, if I was a minor- not attending any panels or whahaveyou, but just... loitering?

Yes. In the areas I designated.
This does not mean that you'll be allowed to sleep down there if you do not have a hotel room.  ;)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 06:51:30 pm »
also, id really try to adhere to the park rule.  that park is a little skechtastic all the time, its been getting better in recent years...but.  its possible that all the con folks will deter the drug activity there during the day. but i know the police go through there at night because of dealers.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 07:24:51 pm »

This does not mean that you'll be allowed to sleep down there if you do not have a hotel room.  ;)
lmao. I gotsa room. :D
THANK YOU TOOOM
You make my life so much more amazing and have been for yeaarssss *o* look at this we're back at where pocky club started lmao.

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 11:10:31 pm »

Oh well guess I am not bringing the tent with me.

China bound!!!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 11:54:05 pm »
So, another thing, may not be relevant, but the pool at our last hotel did close at a certain time - 10 I think?  Check the pool times at the hotel if you plan on doing any swimming, because a lot of places do close their pools.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 12:36:27 am »
I think this pool is 9am to 9pm.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!