Author Topic: Cosplay and Health! Oy, what a toll.  (Read 6036 times)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
Cosplay and Health! Oy, what a toll.
« on: August 22, 2008, 02:04:58 am »
Anyone else receiving health problems from the stress of the last minute cosplay? I'm not sure tea can calm the bad boy aching in my sides and head right now. I can't wait for Kumoricon. If not for the fun of it, just so I can go to bed at a sane hour and not have to stress so much about costumes XD
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline katayamadono

• Sailor Scout
Re: Cosplay and Health! Oy, what a toll.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 02:45:29 am »
Pfft, who cares about health when you have cosplay! :D

Jk. Oh man. If I didnt have so much cosplay stress, I would be sleeping like a baby. Haha.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 02:57:21 am »
I desperately want to sleep right now, but I've got a movie on and I'm going to work until it's over!

Just as soon as I finish replying to the forums :D;;

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 03:48:16 am »
Jeez. That's terrible, but t'is the life of a cosplayer, I guess. Later hours and early mornings. Maybe I should've nabbed all those Red Bulls off of my aunt and uncle. I'll stop by their place tomorrow ^^;

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:55:27 am »
Once again I would suggest starting your costumes early ^_^. Mine are all done and I am looking for ways to improve them. I'm not working on anything too serious. Hell I am starting to plan costumes for Sakuracon ^_^

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 10:02:01 am »
Yeah, last minute cosplay cramming can do terrible things to your body. It is justl ike anything else, stress will mess you up. Like Nikkiolie said, the best thing you could do is start as soon as possible so you have plenty of time to work leisurely and not stress yourself out to the point of getting sick. Of course, I am not so good at taking my own advice, not this year anyway, lol. I will have to work harder to start early next year. But as for now, just try not to let your work that you have to do bug you out too much. Can't have anyone getting sick right before the con, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 10:07:25 am »
The truth is I over estimate how long something is going to take. I figured my Albel was going to take several months but really it took about half a month to do (and that was with classes and studying for finals too).

As for the costume I want to do for sakuracon it is just a variation of Albel so I don't need too much to change.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 10:08:37 am »
Did you figure out a way to do the topless Albel you wanted to do? lol

And I'm the complete opposite, at least for this year I was. I underestimated how much work had to go into this costume. Big time, lol. But fortunately I haven't had any bad turns in health yet, besides the ever-frequent headache.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:09:09 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 10:11:42 am »
Did you figure out a way to do the topless Albel you wanted to do? lol

And I'm the complete opposite, at least for this year I was. I underestimated how much work had to go into this costume. Big time, lol. But fortunately I haven't had any bad turns in health yet, besides the ever-frequent headache.
No I was going to do the one with white and blue hair

That one ^_^

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 10:12:57 am »
I started my costume back in November, but I had to stop until June because I was graduating from college and I needed to focus. "D" in a required class would equal no diploma. I started cutting out tentacles early, really! My chronic procrastination has nothing to do with this!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 10:16:45 am »
I'm glad you started early. Your costume is really hard though and it would take a lot of work to get done. I wish you the best of luck (and you could try sleeping pills to help you get to sleep)

Offline Nanao_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 10:29:17 am »
*sighs* I had some family stress at the beginning of the summer and I lost my job, so I didn't really get a chance to work on my cosplay until the end of July (after I got a new job). Thankfully, my costumes are done, but I'm in charge of a group of folks and getting them checked into the Hotel on the 29th. Three people have dropped out, and only two others have paid me. I'm beginning to panic because I have to start packing soon, and my sister's cosplay isn't even done yet.
I know that I'm officially freaking out because I dream about arriving late to the convention and by the time I get there, everything is over or I missed my competitions. I used to get that way about school, but since I graduated already, Kumoricon panic is my new nightmares. >.< I can't wait for K-con!!!
-----------------------------
The Random Panel of Doom: More adults than you can shake some pocky at.
(RPoD Panelist 2008-2014)

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 10:31:18 am »
Yeah that is why I don't want to even deal with a hotel or if I did stay in a hotel I would let someone else organize it not me.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 10:42:11 am »
I'm in a similar situation, with arranging and booking a room. I originally had 6 people saying they were coming to the con and wanted to room together, and then they all dropped out except for two. I have recovered, I'm in the process of getting other people to fill the spots but it is still terribly frustrating when stuff like that happens.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 10:45:19 am »
The guy that was organizing the rooms at sakuracon had it rough too....it wasn't there weren't enough people but too many. We had three rooms with about 6 people in each x.x

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 10:47:17 am »
Wow, I don't even want to imagine trying to organize that, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 10:48:39 am »
yeah tell me about it.....but lets get back on track.

I have been sleeping well, the only thing that is out of the ordinary is that I am going to be much later than I used to (around 12 instead of 10)

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 11:02:08 am »
I have been procastinating on my sons costume and is only 50% done so this week is cram week for me to get all costumes done.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 11:16:58 am »
which costume....the Shinji? Are you doing the plug suit? That would be hard to get done in a week x.x

Offline Raknorak

• Cabbit
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 12:29:27 pm »
Almost had a heart attack when I thought I didn't have enough fabric to finish my cosplay. But I found a HUGE "scrap" that was behind my work table that makes it so I have the perfect amount. Unless I botch something. When I found it though I could actually feel my heartbeat dropping.

When it comes to my planning though, it couldn't have been worse. I started to really buckle down on it last month, and I was thinking "I have plenty of time before the con." But then I realized something terrible. I've got my Pharmacy Certification Test next Thursday, RIGHT before the con. So all that cosplay work time? Totally went to studying. Which I should be doing. Right now. Crap.
Kumori-con 2008 Cosplay:
Mikura Kazuma - Air Gear
Possibility of a character from Full Metal Panic Fumoffu. Depends on how broke I am.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 12:35:03 pm »
Yeah tell me about it. I'm glad that my psych class ended last week or I would be worried too. It was hard juggling studying work, working on costume, and meet ups.

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 12:41:00 pm »
Hmmm I forsee death by high heels for me! XP I have strappy 4 inch heels for my Tsunade cosplay. I haven't fallen but they are just hellish to walk around in when you have bad knees! XD
Secrety secrets!

Offline saya-chan14

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 12:58:05 pm »
well i use there herbs in pill form. Once I take one i fall asleep in 30 mins at most i love them i get them at kaiser Pharmacy
Sakura 11 cosplays
CC
Yosuke
Libra

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 01:09:25 pm »
i freaked out over my mel costume a bit and suffered some blood lose x.x sleeping was another matter, ive nearly gone nocturnal so staying up lateto work on it didnt affect me much >.>

and since kairi came to today all i gotta do is worry bout namine (which im thinking of dropping till next year) and buy the wigs....
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 02:34:30 pm »
i freaked out over my mel costume a bit and suffered some blood lose x.x sleeping was another matter, ive nearly gone nocturnal so staying up lateto work on it didnt affect me much >.>

and since kairi came to today all i gotta do is worry bout namine (which im thinking of dropping till next year) and buy the wigs....

I posted this in another forum thread, but I went here for my wig accessory needs (mainly foam heads and a wig cap): http://www.wigsunlimited.com/

There's a store of there's out in Beaverton off of Allen Boulevard next to Safeway. It's a small shop in kind of a corner of a strip mall, but for the size of it, it had a lot of wigs. I'm sure they have something for both Kairi and Namine. The ladies there are usually very helpful as well.

I bought a short pack of Red Bull and (hopefully) my last run for supplies. I nearly had a heart attack when I found out the remnant of black pleather I picked up from the bins at JoAnn's Fabrics went normally for $35 per yard. I had to switch to something far cheaper  :-\ It should still work since it's only a small part, but man, I paced that store for a while trying to make a decision.

As for hotels, out of the last three cons I've been to, I've done the hotel managing twice. I've used Shilo Inns for Kumoricon last year and this year, and they're really easy. It was just kind of a mass IM mode with my friends trying to get everything together. I'm local, so I could have just crashed where I live, but there's no fun in that for us. We've got 6 people in one room, but Shilo has an option where you can pay $10 for each extra person. We just have to tell them at the front desk when we check in. Total, I think (with the extra people), we're each going to end up paying around $25 for the weekend.

I am, however, a little tired of having to wrangle up people. That's frustrating when people assume or just glide along and wait for you to make a move about something.

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 04:31:21 pm »
which costume....the Shinji? Are you doing the plug suit? That would be hard to get done in a week x.x
Yes the Shinji costume, I still have to build the chest piece for his plug suit. I found him a wet suit that will be most of the suit but I need to make modifications.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 11:15:05 pm »
Thats a really good idea....I want to do Asuka really badly so I will keep the wet suit thing in mind. I'll see how yours turned out.

Offline CharlotteElbourne

• Chibi
    • Charlotte's Cosplay.com Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 06:15:56 pm »
I started my cosplay for kumoricon way back in march x-X I had to buy lots of fabric, and ending up having to buy even more because I botched a few of the pattern pieces I had >< So I started sewing and making it in April (mostly because I wore it to AnimeExpo 08 lol)

I had to redo it, and I just finished the last of the excesories today, which is a necklace and shoes. I had to re modify a lot of it and do a lot of touch ups, but heh, it was worth it!

I also put in 14 hour days for several weeks to get it done x_X I'm a night owl naturally, so it was no problem for me, lol.

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 07:00:20 pm »
Hopefully this is somewhat related, but in regards to health, I got my "monthly visitor" today. I've been feeling really tired and weak, and I hope it doesn't effect me too much during the con.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 07:02:26 pm »
wow that sucks. I am happy not to have that visitor this time around. It happened at Sakuracon the day I got there x.x

Offline EmAino

• Chibi
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 07:55:15 pm »
I don't know what I'm more nervous about: the fact that my Jupiter costume was still in pieces last night (hopefully, my friend's mom has done some sewing since then) or the fact that I have a job interview tomorrow. LOL.
Sakuracon 2014
Kyoko Sakura - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Yugito Nii - Naruto Shippuden
Sailor Jupiter - Sailor Moon

Kumoricon
God Tier Jane Crocker - Homestuck
Komachi Onozuka - Touhou

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 07:59:59 pm »
an interview tomorrow? Wow that sucks. I am happy that I have nothing left between me and the con, just time >_> but there is no more work or anything that I HAVE to do. My biggest health problem will be not getting enough sleep tonight and tomorrow night. I'll be fine after Friday night though....the anticipation will go down after one day at the con.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 09:56:31 pm »
I just hope I can keep the evil snapping, general clawing and annoying cramps to a minimum. Frigging con, why'd you have to hit when I've got an annoying little visitor? Narg, Midol tiem nao.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 09:57:27 pm »
wow that sucks....it seems like it's that time for most girls

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 10:17:52 pm »
I did the majority of my costume work between June and August, working on skirts and figuring out how to make things work. For SakuraCon though I was up to the wire sewing it finished up until the day I had to leave x_x

The good news for me, is for ONCE, since AX07 a con has landed AFTER the Midol-time ;) So I get to have more random fun and no worries about cramps in the stomach. Cramps of the knees is normal for me >>; Bad knees.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 10:20:44 pm »
My time ended about a week ago so I'm good ^_^

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 10:29:52 pm »
Let's hope for the both of us ;)

Offline EmAino

• Chibi
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 10:52:55 am »
an interview tomorrow? Wow that sucks. I am happy that I have nothing left between me and the con, just time >_> but there is no more work or anything that I HAVE to do. My biggest health problem will be not getting enough sleep tonight and tomorrow night. I'll be fine after Friday night though....the anticipation will go down after one day at the con.

Yeah, in retrospect, I should have seen if next week sometime was available, but I didn't want to give a bad impression as I NEED this job. LOL.  BTW, I think it went pretty well...even though I saw more of Portland (went by the Doubletree a few times) than I planned on.
Sakuracon 2014
Yugito Nii - Naruto Shippuden

Kumoricon
God Tier Jane Crocker - Homestuck
Komachi Onozuka - Touhou

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 11:11:16 am »
thats good to hear. I hope you get it ^_^