Author Topic: HTC G1 (first phone powered by Google's Android platform)  (Read 4126 times)

u2205

HTC G1 (first phone powered by Google's Android platform)
« on: September 24, 2008, 12:43:02 am »
I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these phones. Most of my life is stored with Google and if I can have it all integrated into my phone that would just be epic.

I currently have the HTC TyTn II (AT&T Tilt) and my iPhone and I regularly switch between them. But now that the G1 is out I think I may use that as my complete primary phone...

My one consern is that Google may not play as nice with Apple anymore with iPhone integration. The iPhone, before the G1, was the best device for complete integration with Google, but now what Google has their own phone to play with will they treat iPhone users the same? Only time (and future updates) will tell...

http://www.htc.com/www/product/g1/overview.html
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 01:08:04 am by Mr_Mustash »

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Re: HTC G1 (first phone powered by Google's Android platform)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 10:34:13 pm »
What I do is use an HTC Windows Mobile device as my primary device and which has a cell signal, and use a wi-fi router on the phone to share its EV-DO to my other wi-fi devices.

What's that? An iPhone? Running Safari and obviously online in the middle of nowhere? No, just an iPod Touch, getting its EV-DO using the wi-fi router in my other pocket. And I saved $75/month.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 01:24:23 am »
Too bad Gmail doesn't work with PSPs any more, otherwise I'd still be able to say I had the best set of gadgets for the best price possible.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 03:37:55 am »
I'm planing on waiting until wimax comes out and then just use that and skype as my cell phone :D

I predict MIDs will rule the world in the future.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 10:19:54 am »
What I do is use an HTC Windows Mobile device as my primary device and which has a cell signal, and use a wi-fi router on the phone to share its EV-DO to my other wi-fi devices.

What's that? An iPhone? Running Safari and obviously online in the middle of nowhere? No, just an iPod Touch, getting its EV-DO using the wi-fi router in my other pocket. And I saved $75/month.

I've actually been trying to figure out how to use my TyTn II as a router. I've seen several programs but can't find any that looks particularly good. Any suggestions Jeff?

WMWifiRouter works with my Apache. Although it only supports WEP (not WPA), even though both the Apache and iPod hardware support WPA(2), so it's risky to use it for very long. They suggest they are still working on getting WPA(2) working.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor