Author Topic: K-Con Article in THE YUUYAKE SHIMBUN: Follow-up  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Mecha Mecha Media

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
K-Con Article in THE YUUYAKE SHIMBUN: Follow-up
« on: September 02, 2008, 01:18:35 pm »
OK now that Kumoricon 2008 is over, let me ask

1) How was the Con?

2) How would you compare 2008 to previous cons?

3) How does Kumoricon compare to other conventions you attended?

4) What was the best thing about K-Con 2008

5) What surprised you at this years convention?

6) Was there anything missing that you were hoping to see?

7) Did you dress up? Did you wear the same costume or multiple costumes?

Again, feel to answer any or all of these questions, or just add comments of your own. I am writing an article about K-Con for the October issue of The Yuuyake Shimbun, and you can also feel free to write me directly at mechamechamedia (@) gmail (.) com. Names and ages are also helpful (even just a first name). You might see your comments in the article, but all the comments help me get a "global vision" and even if I don't quote you, it is helpful to me.

Thanks a million! (This is sort of an experimental way to write an article, by soliciting comments in the forums, so we will see if it works...)

John
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 01:29:30 pm by Mecha Mecha Media »

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Re: K-Con Article in THE YUUYAKE SHIMBUN: Follow-up
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 06:21:14 pm »
done hope it helps
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 06:36:19 pm »
Hi! I'm Tanis Nikana, cosplaying Ayase Yukiya from Okane ga Nai, and Piro from Megatokyo. The one thing that surprised me was how well everyone was behaved at the con; it made line management really easy! And the best thing was easily the Phoenix Wright bit at the Opening Ceremonies with the Anime Hunters.

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 09:33:32 pm »
Thank you jaz for the email. This really helps. guys, and I agree with you Tanis. Even glomping was in control.

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 09:58:38 pm »
1) How was the Con?
The con was so much fun!! I love conventions and generally have a great time so that was expected. This year, some of my friends got to go, so it was really neat being able to do stuff with them, especially since I don't get to see them all that often. They go to a different school, have strict parents, just don't have time, etc., so this was special.
I didn't get to go to some of the panels and events that I wanted to, because they were full (cosplay contest, Apples to Apples, anime Christmas) but during conventions there's never really a lack of things to do and thus I found some and had a great time doing them.

I had more fun this time around than I regularly do, because I had friends there but wasn't tied down to anyone (friends or family), and also I was pretty relaxed about everything. I had a good sense of what I wanted to do, this being my third Kumoricon. So this has been my best con so far.

The only other con I've been to is Sakura-Con. Because there are so many more people there, there are lots more costumes (and some are pretty epic) and that's really cool. But the lines are longer there (obviously) and I know more people that go to Kumoricon, so I like Kumoricon more.

The host club tea party. It was so much fun!!! I don't know about anyone else, but it was the highlight of my con for sure.

The number of Sophie cosplayers that I saw. Aside from myself, I know there were at least two others. I haven't ever seen more than one at any con before.

Nothing missing, though I did miss out on some stuff that I wanted to see. :(

Of course!! I wore multiple costumes. Sophie Hatter from Howl's Moving Castle on Saturday, Haruhi Fujioka from Ouran High School Host Club on Sunday, and the night class uniform from Vampire Knight (I didn't go as a specific character) on Monday.

Name: Charly
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 12:39:09 am »
Thanks Charly! I missed the host club tea party. Can someone describe what it was like?

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 07:25:01 pm »
I'd love to hear from a couple more of you...please don't be shy.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 07:41:15 pm »
1) How was the Con?
I enjoyed myself very much. Didn't have any problems whatsoever. They played my AMV in the contest, so I got a kick out of that. ^_^;

Hm.. Much of the same goodness.

Kumoricon is the only con I've attended. ^_^;

Personally, I just like interacting with other fans of anime. And actually, I really like the dance they have, haha.

Nothin'? Some awesome cosplays, I guess. ^_^;

Well, kind of? Half-way through the dance on Saturday night, they switched DJs. I just could not get into the music the other DJ was playing and I ended up leaving. Kind of disappointing.

Yes, I dress up like Chi from Chobits. ^_^;

My name is Derek and I'm 23 years old.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 07:41:49 pm by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 08:00:32 pm »

1) How was the Con?

My con was as exhausting as usual (which is why its taken me a week to respond)

Much bigger than any other Kcon, but still with a good feeling of knowing so many people involved.

It has a lot going for it. I have been to other cons that are much less organized, and others that feel much more contrived. Kcon is really fun.

Ooh. That's a toughie. I like all the fun links that have formed on the forums since the con - it really seems like the majority of the attendees had a good time (which makes me, as a staffer, feel great.) I like that I actually got to draw in the Creation Station some too!

That we all fit in the hotel!

I wish I could have hung out for the Dark Horse panel, and the Religion in Anime - but I had to be like 3 places at once.

Same character in two separate costumes. Changed my clothes about 7X in three days.

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline Teuvan

• Sailor Scout
    • Blogspot page.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 09:01:15 pm »
1) How was the Con?

Godly. Probably the most fun I've ever had. I've felt this way about every convention before this one, and that's probably how I'll feel about the ones I attend in the future.

I've been going to Kumoricon for three years. I absolutely loved 06'. 07' was at least ten times better than 06'. 08' was at least ten times better than 07'. In other words, this year's convention blows the previous years out of the water. Admittedly, my personal situation has a lot to do with how I view the quality of each con, but I think it's improving objectively too.

Compared to Sakuracon, which I attended for the first time this year, it's...different. At Sakuracon, you can see big-name guests, professional performances, world-class cosplay, and you have a much wider variety of events to choose from. At Kumoricon, things are more relaxed, there's more of a social element, the panels and events are generally more creative, and there's a bigger sense of community. If I had to choose between going to Sakuracon or Kumoricon, I'd choose Kumoricon.

My favorite event was the Fangirl/boy Anonymous panel. The host did a great job of establishing a fun atmosphere, and the individual stories from the audience were really entertaining. Panels that are centered around audience participation tend to be the best. Some of my other favorite events were the Anime Hunters panel, Anime That Scarred Me For Life, the yuri panel, and speed dating.

My favorite thing, however, was being able to spend time with friends, including people I've known for a while and people I just met at the convention. I probably spent most of my time at the convention hanging out with people. For me, this is a nice change from previous years, where I didn't really know anyone else. Now, between people from my local anime group and people I've met at conventions, I probably know about fifty people.

I didn't expect much from several panels, but they actually turned out to be great. The best example of this is the Fangirl/boy Anonymous panel, which I found to be the most entertaining event at the convention, despite it being intended for an entirely different demographic than my own.

There was a lack of quality imported goods in the exhibitors all. Also, although The Slants are great, it would have been nice to see another musical guest, like Piano Squall or A-key Kyo. I'm perfectly satisfied anyway, though.

I was cosplaying Kaiji all weekend. I did bring a few identical shirts to change into on different days, though, so that worked out.
You've been among winebibbers and riotous eaters of flesh, haven't you?
I admit I told you to sell your body, but I did only mean your organs. - Excel