Author Topic: Economics 101: We all screwed yet?  (Read 3744 times)

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
Economics 101: We all screwed yet?
« on: September 29, 2008, 03:04:17 pm »
Got home from a job interview today and was greeted with this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/wall_street

Generally I haven't worried too much about the stock market, but that's not really an option anymore.
I'm currently working a very part-time, very minimum wage job at a fabric store, and I'm applying for a position at a large company. I'm extremely worried about my employment situation right now. Even if I get a job, I'll be a new hire and therefore more at risk for being let go should the economy continue to sour at its current rate.

It doesn't help that so many banks are having issues. Particularly Washington Mutual...significant layoffs will mean an influx of recently unemployed, experienced people into the job market, and since it's a Washington company (where I'm from), I'm very concerned.
I'm not an expert on the businesses that are having the biggest problems, but from a layman's perspective it's scary enough.

In addition to more basic concerns--one of the things I wanted to do before the end of the year was move back into my own apartment, or get a room mate and move out, which I can't currently do with my income--I'm also wondering how this is going to affect the cosplay community, and the anime industry. Economic hardship means cutting back on things that aren't necessities (one of the reasons I'm worried about my fabric store job), but people also turn to fantasy in hard times. The economy's been going bad for a while now, but neither con I attended this summer seemed to be affected by it. Attendance was still good, people were still buying stuff in the dealer's hall, I didn't see a significant reduction in cosplay. Is it just because these kind of issues haven't penetrated to the majority of congoers yet? Is it because most attendees only have disposible income and don't have to worry about major bills?

How has this affected you so far? Are you considering cutting back on non-essential spending, or have you already done so? Is your job or schooling at risk? If you're younger, have your parents talked about this with you?

Unusual topic for a convention forum, but I'd like to see what the effects on our community are, and how many people here actually think about this stuff.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
Re: Economics 101: We all screwed yet?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 03:58:11 pm »
its not looking to good for my dad, he may lose his buisness if we arnt carful >.> I'm thinking of getting a part time job soon so I dont have to keep asking them for money and stuff. my moms job seems secure though thankfully.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

oslapedo

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 04:20:02 pm »
I honestly can't say how affected I am by this. I'm technically a teenager, though truly in retrospect I'm merely a child. I don't know for sure what's going wrong with our economy, but I just hope that our government doesn't screw us over too much. I'd hate for my generation to have to be the one's to clean up the mess of our forefathers  :-\

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 04:34:22 pm »
I honestly am not freaking to much for some reason. I understand it completely and yes I am young but my intuition says to stay calm I guess. I'm trying to help my dad save on gas and only buy essentials. I'm trying to find a part time job but I have no idea where I should work.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 04:46:09 pm »
anyone with less than $100,000 in their accounts shouldnt be too worried. Assuming your bank is FDIC insured.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 06:45:56 pm »
i agree... the debt is really the biggest issue, kinda hiding behind the economy.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 07:12:16 pm »
(1) For a variety of reasons, I feel safer with my $ in a credit union than a bank. The staff there told me the main difference is they don't borrow money to gamble with it in outside investments; they just take what members put in and loan that amount to other members. More conservative feels safer....
(2) I do think this is an issue very pertinent to the con-- I think that the con should look closely at the viability of whereever it keeps its own accounts.....
(3) I also think that we should recognize that between gas going up and economy going down people may find it harder to attend meetings, and to attend cons. Also that people might not pre-reg, might hold off, wait to see how the economy's doing, and end-load rather than front-load registration....
(4) My dad lost A @#$#TON of his retirement fund to Lehman Brothers and Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac intervention by the government. Poof gone in a heartbeat after he did nothing wrong. Yeah I'm bummed (and beyond peeved).
(5) I am going to try to convince my boss to change to a credit union; I kinda live paycheck to paycheck, G-d forbid anything should happen to my boss's bank....
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 07:18:41 pm »
(2) I do think this is an issue very pertinent to the con-- I think that the con should look closely at the viability of whereever it keeps its own accounts.....

Also, if this meltdown had happened just before Kcon it would likely have hurt out at-door numbers a great deal.  It's good for us and our vendors that it didn't.  Economic things like this are very con related in many ways. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 07:22:37 pm »
I always wondered how the economy and Cons co-existed...

I am not too worried myself seeing as how not only is my job secure and all the usual stuff, plus I have a stockpile of food for the next three months assuming everything goes kinda "Fallout" on us (bad comparison but I hope everyone gets my meaning)

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 11:20:24 pm »
I've been paying alot of attention to the news and some financial experts says that this certainly isn't the worst- alot think it's going to get alot worse before it gets better. There's one financial expert that I saw on "Charlie Rose" that thinks the only light at the end of the tunnel is the oncoming train :(. Most other experts are more opptomistic than that (and I'm more opptomistic than that). Though I'm not happy about that $700 billion bail out, it's a necessary evil that will hopefully help our economy. I think one of the positive things we could learn from this is that it exposes the problems in our economy and hopefully we'll have some new checks and balances that will prevent this sort of thing from happening again, though it also might mean it's harder to get a loan in the future...

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 08:07:33 am »
i fear not for i keep my $$ in a jam jar !

yup still 3$$  :o
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 09:08:54 am »
I've always have a "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" outlook on most everything in life.  Right now, I do have to say that I'm surprisingly the most financially secure I've ever been in my adult life.  I've got a decent job that pays well that I've been at for over a year, it's with a utility that is a necessity rather than a convenience, so no matter what happens with the economy, our company will have to exist in one form or another.  There has been no talk of lay offs or anything else of the sort, in fact they just brought in a new hire class, and I haven't heard anything about a hiring freeze at all, so I'm guessing we're not slowing down our intake of employees at all.  I make enough right now that between my income and my husband's income we have enough to not actually be living paycheck to paycheck.  All of our bills get paid on time, which is more than I can say for the majority of the customers that I deal with on a regular basis.  And we don't have any children, so our expenses are just for two people.  If he loses his job, and I still have mine, we would be ok.  We'd have to cut back on a ton of the nice extra things that we currently have, but I know in a worst case scenario situation I could cancel the cable, cancel my cell phone plan, not buy comic books, not go out to eat on a regular basis...  We could go back to the bare necessities and get by on my current income.   Yeah, I have been thinking about it a lot over the past few weeks.  I spent a lunch hour awhile ago going over worst case scenario math. 

I guess the biggest impacts I've personally had so far:
Food, of course, is more expensive, so my spending money has to be stretched out a bit more. 
Gas is hella expensive, as is parking in downtown Portland, and my job gave us free yearly trimet passes so I just drive over to the transit center, leave my vehicle at the park and ride, and ride the max to work.  Yes, I could walk to the bus or max, but I don't get home until 10:30 at night and I don't like walking the street at night alone.
Increase in callers who are worried about their own financial stuff.  Everything from "I can't pay the bill because I don't have the money and you're threatening to shut us off tomorrow" to "My bill went up by 5 dollars and I need for you to explain to me exactly how that happened".
Worries about friends and family and their jobs.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 11:20:22 am »
So economics 101 is about supply and demand.  Lending rates and stuff is generally a higher level class.

Basicly, what is happening is that companies got greedy and are now reaping what they sew. 

If anyone needs a bailout, it is people facing foreclosure not wall street.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=121684920896674500

As for finding jobage, Oregon is not as bad as some other states, we don't even make the top ten.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/worklife/02/25/worst.job.states/index.html
http://www.bls.gov/web/laumstrk.htm

not to say that things are getting better, they actually are getting worse :(
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:23:13 am by melchizedek »
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 12:33:49 pm »
What I don't understand is that if America owes $500 billion to China, and we're going to use $700 billion for a bailout, then why not simply pay off the debt to China?

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 11:16:31 pm »
When I walked into work today, people were watching a news program in our lounge that was talking about ways to cope with the economy crisis.

The first thing on the list was "Make yourself more useful as work so they won't lay you off."

Everyone in the lunchroom laughed/screamed out in disgust at the screen.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 11:47:08 am »
What I don't understand is that if America owes $500 billion to China, and we're going to use $700 billion for a bailout, then why not simply pay off the debt to China?

Because we're borrowing $700billion more from China to fund the bailout...
QFT
It sickens me to

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 12:34:25 pm »
When I walked into work today, people were watching a news program in our lounge that was talking about ways to cope with the economy crisis.

The first thing on the list was "Make yourself more useful as work so they won't lay you off."

Everyone in the lunchroom laughed/screamed out in disgust at the screen.
ugh, thats so lame. XD then what would happen to people who were just hired? they'd get fired quickly.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 12:41:00 pm »
what scares me is i know how hard it was to find the job i have, it has ups and downs, and at times i am tempted to look for better job, but a job its self was so hard to find

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 12:46:07 pm »
Well, bad economy or no, if I wasn't happy at job I'd be looking for a better one.  Interviewing at other places only costs time and one doesn't actually have to commit until they start talking $$$

Companies are not loyal to employees so it shouldn't be expected to be so the other way around.

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 04:27:45 pm »
Yeah, you can look for another job at any time. It doesn't put your current job in jeopardy. You can apply at as many places as you want and interview as often as you want; if they offer you a position and it's less appealing than your current job, you can always turn them down. If what you're offered is better, just put in your two weeks notice and tell the new place your availability will be open once that's up.

I did this recently. I got an offer from a clothing store that was quite a drive from my house, but since it was the first offer I'd had since I quit my previous job, I took it. I'd put in applications at a bunch of other places, but I didn't expect to hear from any of them until we hit peak hiring season.

I started at the new place and quickly found it wasn't a very good fit. The commute took so much gas money it turned the position into a minimum wage job, most of my coworkers were high schoolers with little to no work ethic, and I didn't like my manager. I'm not exactly a "fashion-oriented person" either. A couple of weeks after I started, I got a call from another place: a fabric store about twenty minutes from my house. I interviewed and got the job immediately. My manager at the clothing store told me she had no problem with me having a second job, as long as the fabric store worked around my schedule there. Problem? Well, in addition to the fact that I didn't really like the clothing store, they didn't release work schedules until three days ahead of time, and they only released them for one week at a time. The fabric store released schedules at least two weeks in advance and for a couple weeks at a time. And my clothing store manager was kind of a bitch about it when I told her that this was an issue.

Yes, the fabric store was for fewer hours, and paid less, but I liked it more. I put in my two weeks notice at the clothing place. The thing about the fabric store is that I know it's a hobby job, and I still need a full-time position somewhere to cover actual bills, get benefits, etc. But I don't want that full-time position to be a $9-an-hour job, 40 minutes from my house, that eats a quarter-tank of gas in the commute to and from every day. Even in the current economy, sticking with a job you hate when it doesn't have enough benefits to outweigh your dislike is a crummy long-term decision.

My previous job, the one I quit before? Didn't care for that one, but stuck with it for a year because it gave me management experience (good on applications) and offered medical. I quit to give myself real incentive to find something better, because otherwise I might've just stayed with it because it was "safe": I already had the job, and that's better than nothing, right? What I did was take a risk because I decided it was time to look for something more fulfilling. The place I'm currently working is the best job I've ever had even if I can't support myself with it. And the position I'm interviewing for now, the one that will be my full-time job if I get it, pays a lot more than anything else I've ever had, has more hours, and offers full medical, dental, and vision (the one I really need, that barely anyone else offers). Without the safety net of my old job, I'm a lot more inclined to look for real work.
I wouldn't recommend quitting first, though. Not the best decision I ever made. You can get lucky and find work right away, but don't count on it.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 04:58:28 pm »
I work from home making stacks, fixing computers and doing almost nothing.

I love my job.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 05:32:06 pm »
one of the good things about my job is that it is in my field psychology, as a care taker for people with developmental disablities, so where its ot what i want to do the rest of my life, it gives me a lot of experince that i can draw upon for better job,

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 09:16:12 am »
Even when you're looking for new job while currently employed, things can happen where you wind up having 0 job.  I was working for a really horrible call center where they had lost all of my employee information twice, constantly screwed up my paycheck and tried on a few occasions to blame me for screw ups when I'd gotten information earlier that it was computer error, and constantly scheduled me to work Sundays when the que I work for is closed on Sunday, so I'd just sit there for 8 hours and get paid for doing absolutely nothing.  I heard Comcast was hiring, and I had friends who worked there and were happy with it.  The center was a mile away from where I live which cuts commute time down to minutes, especially if I got a bike, and hey free cable, so I applied.  I got an interview, and I thought the interview went really well.  The interviewers all BUT told me I had the position, but it would start in a week and a half, and if my prior place of business needed notice I would have to give it right away.  Prior place of business made me sign a contract upon hiring that if I gave less that 1 weeks notice, they would cut my final paycheck to minimum wage.  So, in order to not get stiffed, I put in my notice without officially having word from Comcast.  And then it turned out, I didn't get the Comcast job either, and wound up unemployed.  I was able to find another job soon after so it wasn't a huge deal and it's not like I was happy at the first place, but it was a chance I took and it didn't work out.

I am glad that I work for a place that I more or less like right now.  I would like a better shift, something earlier in the day, and while my manager seems like a good guy, there's a different manager I was recently working under whom I miss terribly and I'd love to be able to get back on her team.  Every December we have an opportunity to make changes, so I'm hoping I can make the move that I want in a couple of months.  Just have to go with it for now.