Author Topic: Donating to those in need~  (Read 1634 times)

oslapedo

Donating to those in need~
« on: December 12, 2008, 05:31:04 pm »
The area I live in, Douglas County, isn't exactly in the best of shape. I do believe our unemployment rate is 10% and our food banks are nearly empty. Since my school is having a canned food drive I decided to donate. I went to the store this morning and spent all of my money ($40) on food for it. I could've bought a few volumes of manga, some cosplay, a wig or a variety of other things with that but all those are excessively petty and frugal items in retrospect. I think the hungry people need food more than I need to emulate an anime character.

So I was just wondering if anyone else was making efforts to help those in need, no matter how small. I know our general populace of nerds isn't the most financially well off but in these tough times I'd like to encourage everyone I know to get into the spirit of giving.

And merry Christmas to all ;)

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
Re: Donating to those in need~
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 05:38:26 pm »
I've been volunteering a lot lately. I always do every year. also this year when the food drive started I was the first to donate. I added like 20 items because we always have extra food we never eat. ^_^ they asked me if I wanted to take some back so I wouldn't starve myself. I just laughed.  :D
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 10:46:50 pm »
I've been donating money and I bought someone a present from their Christmas star that they left on the church tree. I hope it's what they wanted!
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 06:43:26 pm »
I go to the dollar tree all the time for various little things and they have a toydrive. Ive probably donated about 15 dollars there allready. I cant not donate.....
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 07:37:47 pm »
okay I have to come in and say I something really wonderful today. while I was in my car driving down the street with my mom I saw a man in a wheelchair waiting at a bus stop in the rain. I felt sorry for him for he looked displeased with the weather. then someone walking by with an umbrella stopped next to him and started talking to him. before I knew it the person who had stopped gave the guy in the wheelchair his umbrella. I was so speechless and memorized with the person's kindness. :D
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 09:35:04 pm »
okay I have to come in and say I something really wonderful today. while I was in my car driving down the street with my mom I saw a man in a wheelchair waiting at a bus stop in the rain. I felt sorry for him for he looked displeased with the weather. then someone walking by with an umbrella stopped next to him and started talking to him. before I knew it the person who had stopped gave the guy in the wheelchair his umbrella. I was so speechless and memorized with the person's kindness. :D
That's so wonderful ^^
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Sukotto_79

• Cabbit
    • TheAnimeLoft
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 10:15:19 pm »
In the past I have donated money and food and stuff. But this is a bad month financially for me (my fault for screwing up my checking account), I still throw what change I have on me in the Salvation Army collection box that at all the stores with the person ringing those bells.