Author Topic: What do you do with old cosplay?  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Toxikon

• Sailor Scout
What do you do with old cosplay?
« on: October 12, 2008, 07:53:33 pm »
What do you do when you get tired of a costume?  Do you recycle pieces of it to make a new one?  Sell it online, or to a friend?  Keep it for posterity?

I'm considering retiring my Gaara costume, because it's quite a hassle to put on and take off (not to mention transport).  I really like it though, and it'd be a shame to see it go unused.  I'm just afraid that if I get rid of it, I'll want to wear it later and regret it.  However, the gourd is rather large, and takes up a lot of storage space. :/
My Kumoricon 2008 photos can be found here.

Secret SakuraCon cosplay progress: 30%

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
Re: What do you do with old cosplay?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 07:59:47 pm »
well maybe plan ahead for it. see if you'll want to use it one last time for a later con. if not others might want to buy it from you.

I've never thought of recycling a costume to make a new one. all that work to go into it would feel wasted to me even if I wore it like 5 times. I want to hopefully keep all of mine but the other ones I might try to sell. help out someone that needs it and get some money in return for all my hard work. maybe I'll just keep parts of each cosplay for memorabilia but then get rid of the rest.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Mentally Hilarious

• Sailor Scout
    • GaiaOnline
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 08:26:04 pm »
I dunno. I would never let go of any of the cosplays I have. Why?
Taz gets to attached to things.....its bad for her health. (she wont even let go of her dead bunny, fred)
Really.
But I guess I would like.....keep it forever somewhere if I cant fit into it anymore.
Yeah, if I outgrew it then i would think about just keeping it somewhere or selling it...I guess.
Taz is going under brain damage now for thinking to hard....

Offline KinkyFriedChicken

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 09:34:15 pm »
I think maybe giveing it to a good friend would be good cuz you know them and trust that they wont destroy the whole thing =3
~Sakuracon 2016

Furiosa [Mad Max:Fury Road]
Fenris [Dragon Age 2]
Modern Day!Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 09:38:07 pm »
Yeah I would either keep it or sell it so you can get some of the money you used to make it back. and if you didn't spend a lot on it but it still looks great then even better you can make a profit. XD

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 10:26:36 am »
I keep thinking about selling my old ones.  but I'm not sure if they worth anything.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline ZakkKurama

• Sailor Scout
    • Animes Watching: I Need to UPDATE!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 12:16:34 pm »
     I don't think I would want to sell something I did a really good job at making,
     if you are like me and you ran out of time this year, I didn't have time to make my costumes this year and I bought them... So they really dont mean anything to me T_T

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 12:40:00 pm »
i keep them and some day they might turn into somthing else, i have made it into some else then sold it
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 04:15:45 pm »
the only costume Ive ever retired was my Chocobo, and even that refuses to stay in retirment (It's become my halloween costume cause I'm to lazy to make a new one) And if I do decided to retire one I doubt it will stay that way, or I will do it intentionaly xD I love my costume so much, they all are hanging up in my closet in nice little covers so they dont get hurt :3 I put them on for fun now and again.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Toxikon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 04:28:52 pm »
I know that my next costume will be one I'll wear over and over again, but the Gaara one is just a bit too difficult.  If I found an easier way to do the makeup, it might be better.

We shall see, I suppose.

• Sailor Scout
    • GaiaOnline
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 04:34:31 pm »
I sure as hell hope you dont just NOT do Gaara next year...you are like the BEST Gaara! (even tho there was only one other good Gaara....but she was Kazekage...and the others just....failed...)
Me and my friends even gave you a title: 'EPIC Gaara'
But I cant force you....*evil laughter*

Offline Toxikon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 04:36:47 pm »
I sure as hell hope you dont just NOT do Gaara next year...you are like the BEST Gaara! (even tho there was only one other good Gaara....but she was Kazekage...and the others just....failed...)

Thanks a bunch!  That makes me feel really good.  :3

I guess I will hang onto it, and see if I can find an easier method of covering up my eyebrows... o_-

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 04:38:25 pm »
oh yeah that wasn't fun.....and I was just watching some of the time. Well this year if we stay in the hotel it will be much much better. You would be able to get up whenever you wanted XD

Offline Toxikon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 04:39:44 pm »
That's true.  And it would be much easier to change costumes, so I wouldn't have to only wear one costume a day.  :D

• Sailor Scout
    • GaiaOnline
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 04:40:48 pm »

I guess I will hang onto it, and see if I can find an easier method of covering up my eyebrows... o_-
Shaving them all together comes to mind but it doesnt usually work out as well as it should. (My retarded cousin tried that....oi vey...)

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 08:01:10 pm »

Shaving them all together comes to mind but it doesnt usually work out as well as it should. (My retarded cousin tried that....oi vey...)
ugh shaving eyebrows makes no sense. they look weird. my sister use to do that and well without them drawn on we thought she looked like a cancer patient that would pull her wig off any second. it just depends if you get the right type of smoothing makeup that's your skin tone. it should only take a coating or 1/2 to cover them. :3 unless their really dark then maybe a bit more.
da/tumblr

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 02:51:31 pm »
I wonder if bleaching your eyebrows and then using cover up would work to blend it in.....NEVERMIND, SCRATCH THAT! (I can imagine some fuzzy things above your eyes....then again... X_X nevermind!)

I totally agree, you were THE best Gaara!  *APPLAUSE*  8)

I have been keeping my costumes. Sometimes, I find that I use parts of them to cosplay as another character.   And I recycle it by cosplaying on halloween with friends.
And so it begins...

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 03:08:28 pm »
Oh gosh...I never thought about what do do with my old cosplays...
I made like 8 of them...
The one's what aren't really recognized much stay in my closet but being the weirdo I am I sometimes wear parts of them to school...
OR just wear the cosplay to school. I don't think that If I sell mine they'll be worth anything or someone wouldn't want them
so I don't really bother to think about it...
But my mom told me to throw out my key blade...but I just can't since I worked so hard on it...
I'll probably use it for something else later so I just kinda keep everything XD

• Sailor Scout
    • GaiaOnline
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 03:12:12 pm »
Oh gosh...I never thought about what do do with my old cosplays...
I made like 8 of them...
The one's what aren't really recognized much stay in my closet but being the weirdo I am I sometimes wear parts of them to school...
OR just wear the cosplay to school. I don't think that If I sell mine they'll be worth anything or someone wouldn't want them
so I don't really bother to think about it...
But my mom told me to throw out my key blade...but I just can't since I worked so hard on it...
I'll probably use it for something else later so I just kinda keep everything XD
Better to keep stuff then throw things away and later think "WHY DID I DO THAT?!" and be all EMO like. My friend did that. She keeps bugging me to help her buy stuff to make a new cosplay of the SAME thing she threw out, saying it 'wasnt needed' at the time.

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 03:27:25 pm »
Yup yup...happens all the time.
That or things get lost. You get a new one. Then find the old one.

• Sailor Scout
    • GaiaOnline
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 03:42:56 pm »
Thats one of the worst things that has ever happened to my crazy cousin!
I swear, everytime there costumes dissapear or they throw them away, I HEAR about it more than anyone else. I never throw my costumes away. I smart!

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2008, 04:12:52 pm »
ah yes when people throw things out they need. I have a friend that designed her own chi costume for con(which she still hasn't gone yet) she's not the rambunctious type and she gets sick and tired often. I want her to come so badly though.

now back to the story. she had a really messy room. tons of junk and garbage lying around. so part of the costume was this pink mesh type material she had pinned to make for the back part of the skirt. somehow she threw it away, or lost it or something. that was pretty much the only thing she needed to finish on the costume(she still needed some things for the cosplay itself) man I was so mad since I got that stuff for her and we had already used some of it on other parts of the costume. now we have to redo the costume over because of that. but I don't blame her, I blame her mom for pressuring her to clean her room. :/
da/tumblr