Author Topic: Heath Ledger- Best Suporting actor for 2008  (Read 5027 times)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
Heath Ledger- Best Suporting actor for 2008
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:02:49 pm »
I thought it was kinda cool to see him win the award. It was kinda sad though ) : I was crying a bit, he did a fantastic job as the Joker and he went out with a bang in a role no one shall ever forget.

I think the statue will be a nice momment for the girl, they go to the spouse first but he had none when he died so it goes to the oldest child next.

what did you guys think?
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Blackstar

• Chibi
    • DA Art
Re: Heath Ledger- Best Suporting actor for 2008
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:05:42 pm »
He was a shoe in to win that dead or alive
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:06:04 pm by Blackstar »
Cospaly                    Planed cosplay
Near                         Beat (TWEWY)                                                     Pocky Box                 James (Team Rocket)
Blackstar                   Kiba
Soul
Toushiro Hitsugaya   
Jiraya

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:09:37 pm »
It's a shame, that role pretty much killed him you know.
"Yes, that's a gun in my pants. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see you."

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 10:10:57 pm »
http://www.oscars.org/awards/81academyawards/nominees.html

List of winners from AMPAS.

No, blame his death on Kate Olsen! Oops.
Glad he won though, he was absolutely freaking awesome!
Have Fun

Jay

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:12:06 pm »
Actually it's been reported by close friends that he wasn't the kind of method actor to let a role get in his head and/or destroy him. That is just what some people said, but I can believe it.

And I do think it is a beautiful sign of respect and honor that he received that award. Like Blackstar said, whether he died or not, that was the role and performance of a lifetime.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 10:15:31 pm »
It was better than Jack Nicholson's attempt, which wasn't bad.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 10:17:29 pm »
I agree. I loved Jack Nicholson's performance, but it was very much in keeping with the cartoonish personality and rendering of the character. Heath Ledger brought the role to the real world. There was nothing funny or goofy about it.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 10:18:22 pm »
I just think he did a fantastic job.... he really gribbed the audiance. the thing is he was really creepy and scarry (to me at least) but he still has such a fandom because he was also kind of fun..... it takes talent when you can capture those two aspects of a character.

I was told that the role was just overwhelming. From what I heard he was taking anti depression meds because of a few issues that had to do with the role because he was having a hard time after the fact, and he died of a drug over dose if i remeber right.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 10:21:02 pm »
Yeah, the death was due to an accidental overdose (which I blame on Hollywood/celeb doctors...but that's another story), but I'm not so sure if it was over the role or over other personal issues.

I don't want to up and speculate or anything, might be disrespectful.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:21:27 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 10:27:55 pm »
yeah....

instead we should focus on success.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 10:32:13 pm »
Yup  ;D He had some great films and I can only imagine what else he would have accomplished in his life.

And to anyone who is a fan of or has seen The Crow films...wouldn't Heath Ledger have made a perfect Crow figure? I always think of him when I watch The Crow: City of Angels...the lead in that movie looks so much like him!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 11:04:31 pm »
I agree. I loved Jack Nicholson's performance, but it was very much in keeping with the cartoonish personality and rendering of the character. Heath Ledger brought the role to the real world. There was nothing funny or goofy about it.
I disagree. Heath made me laugh several times in that movie. Hello, magic pencil trick!
"Yes, that's a gun in my pants. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see you."

Offline pepito

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 12:28:43 am »
This might be a good place to mention that Heath has one more movie coming out, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, make sure to see it!

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 10:33:41 am »
In some of the scenes they had to have some other actors step in to replace him. I really want to see it though! ^^

Offline pepito

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 12:41:03 pm »
Yeah, each time he steps into this magic doorway, he appears on the other side as a different person - Johnny Depp, Colin Ferril, and Jude Law if I remember correctly

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 01:02:36 pm »
yea ^^ thats right. It seems like a cool movie!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 01:14:18 pm »
I disagree. Heath made me laugh several times in that movie. Hello, magic pencil trick!

Yeah, I know he did tricks, but I meant The Joker as a character was not someone to laugh at. He felt much more sinister to me, whereas Nicholson's Joker did not.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 08:42:30 pm »
I think the Joker was to be one who "got" his jokes, and no one else. But, I didn't grow up with the Joker being so into ethical dilemma scenarios.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 02:45:30 pm »
Ok. Im going to be kinda selfish:

Why did he have do die?! I liked his movies. Grrrr, so not fair. Now I dont get to see him any mores....
Its just kinda frustrating....A Knights Tale and Cassinova ALWAYS make me laugh. And his Joker is just beyond words amazing. It makes me grumpy that he died. I feel sad but still grumpy that I cant watch him anymore....selfish is the right word right? lol

2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 03:03:31 pm »
no your not being selfish : ) We all loved his movies. its only natrual for us to want to keep those we respect around.

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 07:54:49 pm »
I just tend to get more angry at the way he died than sad that he did die. Makes me feel selfish.... lol. Oh and I must say. He is a total cutie. *sigh*
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline Sporty_Otaku

• Cabbit
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 05:07:02 pm »
I thought it was kinda cool to see him win the award. It was kinda sad though ) : I was crying a bit, he did a fantastic job as the Joker and he went out with a bang in a role no one shall ever forget.

i feel kind of bad for raul julia

he was an awesome actor who played one of the best villians ever even though the movie was a joke and died afterwards

as for ledger i think he did a good job but got the award for two reasons

one - because of his death

two - because everyone else on the list did a poor job
don't expect to hear too much from me

just wanted to drop in and say hi

hi

Offline Prince Nori

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 10:44:54 pm »
And to anyone who is a fan of or has seen The Crow films...wouldn't Heath Ledger have made a perfect Crow figure? I always think of him when I watch The Crow: City of Angels...the lead in that movie looks so much like him!
Oh god, I totally agree!! I bet Heath would've been great as the lead! But I dunno...Vincent Perez gave a pretty good performance in that movie, think he could beat him?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 10:52:04 pm »
I don't think he could beat him, per se. I wouldn't want to put him up against Heath, I just think Vincent reminds me a lot of Heath in his face and mannerisms.

I actually love Vincent's performance in that movie, wouldn't want to replace him. (But I know for a fact Heath would have been a better Crow figure than Ed Furlong in the fourth film...that entire movie was terrible, in my view.)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Prince Nori

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 10:55:54 pm »
was the fourth one the one Kirsten Dunst was in? I thought that one was horrible D:

but yeah, I think Vincent was superb in city of angels, haunting even... ;D

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 11:08:13 pm »
No, Kirsten Dunst was in the third one. I actually thought that one was alright. The fourth one came out only a few years ago. It has Tara Reid and David Boreanis in it.

And I agree, Vincent Perez played the distraught, revenge-thirsty ghost of a father soooo well!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Prince Nori

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 11:42:46 pm »
Oh, I think I got mixed up. I liked the third one with Kirsten Dunst. But I did not like the fourth!
and I kinda liked the tv series with Mark Dacascos as Eric Draven, there seemed to be more story to it, but Brandon Lee was a better Eric IMO.

Also, without Heath, will they find a new joker for the next batman movies? Or was he too irreplaceable as the Joker? Cuz I really wanna see Harlequin on screen someday *___*

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 11:48:44 pm »
I also like The Crow: Stairway to Heaven (the tv show). At first the whole concept of the show just infuriated me because Eric Draven's story was resolved in The Crow, so for them to pull him and Shelley back to Earth just made me angry...but I'm fine with it now, heh. Although I have to agree, I don't think there could be or will ever be a better Eric Draven than Brandon Lee. *sigh* I miss him too.

And I'm not sure what they plan to do with Joker. I can't imagine them trying to replace him, but maybe they can work Harley in without Joker...maybe?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 10:59:35 am »
Also, without Heath, will they find a new joker for the next batman movies? Or was he too irreplaceable as the Joker? Cuz I really wanna see Harlequin on screen someday *___*

That was my biggest complaint with the movie. They didnt kill of the Joker in the end!

What this means to me is that I cant see Harley unless they bring the Joker back somehow and I would cry if they did that. Which means in order for me to have my way Harley wont be in any of the films....sad.

I am really worried that because they didnt specifically kill off the Joker in the movie that they will recast him. That would be a HUGE mistake on their part...but it could happen.

I REFUSE to watch The Mummy 3 because they recast Rachel Weiss's character. I would have watched it if they would have killed her character off and not recast it. When they do that the movie looses all feeling.
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 12:15:20 pm »

That was my biggest complaint with the movie. They didnt kill of the Joker in the end!

I like that part.  There's no point if the villians are all killed off.

I am really worried that because they didnt specifically kill off the Joker in the movie that they will recast him. That would be a HUGE mistake on their part...but it could happen.

They probably just wont have any more with Joker, but might make some references to him.

I REFUSE to watch The Mummy 3 because they recast Rachel Weiss's character. I would have watched it if they would have killed her character off and not recast it. When they do that the movie looses all feeling.

I personally could care less about her character for the third one.  All that mattered to me was Brendan Fraser and having cast someone who wasn't a loser for the Dragon King.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 06:53:17 pm »
LOL Wasougal, I can tell we are slight movie clashers. Its nice sometimes to read the oposite oppinions, keeps us all in check. :)

I have MANY issues with The Mummy 3 though... They moved it outside of Egypt...And Ill admit, I have a theatrical crush on both Rachel Weiss and her charcter in the first two movies....so im a bit biased anyways. :)

And I really hope you are right and they just make "refrences" to the Joker in the future. Re-casting him just seems wrong to me.

Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 12:16:03 pm »
I have a theory over what Nolen will do about the Joker (since Ledger died). I think Nolen will have the Joker killed. Odds are the Joker will be killed in prison, most likely by someone he pissed offed (and lets face it, the Joker wasn't out to make friends). And we won't see the deed being done, we may just hear about it. But if we do see it (which is unlikely), we will never see the Joker's face.

btw, when I say Nolen, I am referring to the director of the movie, Christopher Nolen.