Author Topic: What is the obsession with glomp circles?!  (Read 5645 times)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
What is the obsession with glomp circles?!
« on: January 13, 2009, 01:00:18 pm »
I really don't see why it is a big deal. I wouldn't want a stranger touching me especially half the people that are in them. Most of the guys that participate are desperately trying to find someone to be with and the though of a guy (or girl) like that touching me freaks me out.

Aside from the creeps that show up to it, it seems like most people who are in glomp circles crave attention, and when you are in the middle you are getting all the attention in the world. Also people tend to take it too far. I don't want ANYONE running and jumping into my arms unless it is a friend. A gentle glomp will do.

I am curious what others think, why do you like or dislike it?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:00:29 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
Re: What is the obsession with glomp circles?!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 01:06:23 pm »
I DO NOT like being touched by random people. I am not a glomp fan but lots of people love them. I know that Kumoricon cannont condone them as a sanctioned event because of its potential for inappropriate touching of minors, and the increased risk of injury. Its a huge liability and that is why it needs to be done away from con in a public area. To me this poses a big consern for the young women and men in the parks that could have random people with ill intentions. Personally I really dont like them. I dont think they are safe.  But in a public area Kumoricon cannot control these actions. If someone expresses to Kumoricon that a random person did in fact do something terrible we can call the cops, but thats about it.
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:29:31 pm »
That's unfortunate. Yeah a lot of people really do enjoy it but I am not sure why. Didn't the cops get called this past year?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:29:46 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 02:31:30 pm »
I participate, but only cause I hear people like my hugs.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 03:20:41 pm »
The only time I have taken part in glomp circles was when I knew everyone there.  It's not a case of not liking the unfamiliar, it was more along the lines of making myself more open to trying it.  It's not the type of thing I'd start doing just to do it, plus I'd worried about who well my back would hold up.  The only time my back felt in jeopardy was when a girl practically leaped into my face, (and yes, if you're wondering, her breasts were about an inch from my face, though I don't think it was intentional).  The quick shift of weight wasn't too generous to my spine.  If the circle has rules structured to protect those who feel uncomfortable about these issues, both yours & mine, then there's nothing wrong with them.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 05:10:13 pm »
Didn't the cops get called this past year?

Sadly yes, and the person causing the issue was not an attendee. Its unfortunate, but it was handled really well.
Onyxspider@gmail.com

oslapedo

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 05:14:59 pm »
I've been less inclined to enjoy glomp circles lately because I've been realizing that most of the people in them are indeed creepers. I was in one at KCon last year and it was actually pretty fun because most of the people in it were around my age instead of 20 years above it.

To me they can be fun as long as there's no gropers in the midst.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 05:41:08 pm »
to me they are fun as long as its all people I know and my friends ;D

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 05:50:59 pm »
when i participated this last year it was mostly people my age, a few in their 20's i think, most all in cosplay

xD really i just think its fun because of the pure excitment, but i'm less inclined to do them now that the people are finding ways to use it for their own personal means that i'm not fond of
returning with a vengeance to K con~

oslapedo

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 05:53:09 pm »
I agree with Nikki and Jill =D

Me and my group did a little mini glomp circle at Mewcon, it was pretty fun but then a random guy came up to us and was all excited about there being a glomp circle so I kind of disbanded it :D,,,

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 05:53:09 pm »
This is why I think glomp circles should be done at the con; only those with badges can participate.  Those guilty of being creepers would probably be kicked out of the con.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 11:05:12 am »
Just wear cosplay with spiked armor, then no one who does a glomp tackle will come away unscathed. 

I think glomping is a con thing really, glomp circles are sort of a group condoning glomping.  Would-be glompers see a character in cosplay they want to glomp but are too self conscious to do it on their own.  Maybe the glomp circle provides group support?  I dunno...

Seriously though, any place where there is a public transit center is liking to have creapers.  If there is a glomp circle at pioneer square this year I hope some cops show up to make sure younger folk are kept safe. 
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 11:08:39 am »
I think that glomp circles are fine, as long as its all con people/people from a group. But like melchizedek mentioned, anywhere that there are other people, creepers become pretty likely.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 11:13:47 am »
This is why I think glomp circles should be done at the con; only those with badges can participate.  Those guilty of being creepers would probably be kicked out of the con.

If the creeper is at the con (as in attending) then I doubt they would get kicked out. Plus there is a difference of what some people think is creepy and what the con thinks is creepy. So a guy or girl could do something that really freaks you out but it isn't a good enough excuse to kick them out. :P

That's why you need mase ;D

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 11:16:52 am »
Well I don't like glomp circles for the simple fact that I don't like obnoxiously needy people, in general. I've observed several glomp circles and it always just looks like a gaggle of "lookatme, lookatme" kids...and that just doesn't appeal to me at all.

I like glomps, I like having fun with people, but I know that the presupposition that glomp circles are built on, that idea that everyone wants a stranger to leap into their arms, just would not fly with me. No thanks.

It all just seems really immature to me, *shrug* I learned to stay away from parks at conventions now, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 11:18:56 am »
I agree. I enjoy glomps from people I know....but in my opinion people in glomp circles either need attention or have low self esteem and that is there way of getting some love.

again you don't have to agree with it but that is how I feel >_>;

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 11:24:04 am »
Some people cosplay for the same reasons, I won't be looking down on them.

However, I hope we tell the police that there will be lots of minors at con this year.  Hopefully they'll walk the streets as a deturant to the creepers that might be getting some ideas
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 11:27:37 am »
I guess that is true >_> I am one of those that likes attention :P (see this is what I am looking for, people to show me the other side. I'm not set in my ways I just want to hear others opinions)

the police patrolling would be very nice to have at this years con ^_^

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 03:18:07 pm »
I like hugs, therefore, I like glomp circles, simple as that. I really don't think the idea of a random person full speed glomping me, but, i do I have to admit, it is fun to full speed glomp people. I also always seem to need a hug...
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 05:27:59 pm »
Glomp circles are weird and dangerous to me...
I didn't like them at kumoricon so I never joined one.
It weird with random people but I mean small one with friends is fine with me.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 05:37:28 pm »
third......ed :P

oslapedo

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 05:47:13 pm »
Fourthed =D

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 07:19:37 pm »
the police patrolling would be very nice to have at this years con ^_^

Ya know, I dont know if we have made public saftey phone calls in the past just informing the athourities that there will be a HUGE gathering of people (including minors) in the public parks. Ill bring it up to someone unless they read it hear first. I know I would feel happier knowing that not only local buisnesses are aware of our huge mass of costumed people but also the police. We cannot control where people want to go durring the day and MANY end up in the park.
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 09:07:46 pm »
i saw one once.. my friend got glomped i quickly left him for dead.
like everyone else here, i dont want weird people touching me.
Team Koga

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 10:29:08 pm »
Okay, I have a question....What about people who you talk with on the forums a LOT, but have only met once or twice. I personally don't see the problem, but some people might. Just curious.

Also, my view on glomp circles.

Personally, I just see it as "Okay. I'm in a strange town I hardly know my way around, barely a teenager. I have a phone, and I'm going to be hanging out with friends. Might as well live it up." [/shrug] I guess since I don't get to do stuff like this often, I'm just kind of "Do it while I can".

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 10:43:05 pm »
Okay, I have a question....What about people who you talk with on the forums a LOT, but have only met once or twice. I personally don't see the problem, but some people might. Just curious.

Do you mean getting glomped by someone you talk to on the forums but haven't seen much of in person? That's cool with me. Getting glomped by forum friends is definitely within my "circle of acceptance". ^_^ Forum friends are friends too!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 10:43:55 pm »

Do you mean getting glomped by someone you talk to on the forums but haven't seen much of in person? That's cool with me. Getting glomped by forum friends is definitely within my "circle of acceptance". ^_^ Forum friends are friends too!
XD That would be a much better way of wording it.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 10:45:12 pm »

English major. It's my natural calling to find better ways of wording things.  ;D

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 10:47:20 pm »

English major. It's my natural calling to find better ways of wording things.  ;D
Ooh. Very nice. XD

It depends on who. Some people I trust more than others. :3
And I've only seen you once or twice (or maybe 3) as well. But we're the best of friends, ne? 8D *shot'd*
XD Maybe three times. AND YUS. THE BEST OF FRIENDS. 8D [/also shot'd]

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 10:52:11 pm »
Thinking about it....I don't really....have a cosplay. XD

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 11:08:35 pm »
XD I feel so noobish with L.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 11:41:51 pm »
Personally, I despise glomp circles. I find them to be rather annoying, needy, loud, forceful, potentially dangerous, and creepy (and I always see people getting mauled to death by swarms... no thanks).
I prefer hugs with friends, new con buddies, or people who appreciate the character I'm going as. As for forum friends, that's fine too! Unless if some of you are secret creepers out there ::gasp/flail::  ::)
lol
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

oslapedo

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 11:42:51 pm »
You better watch out for me Maki, I'm a closet creeper ;)

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 11:44:01 pm »
Pfft, as if that wasn't already obvious xDDD
 ;)
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 03:41:08 am »

People would if it was allowed, but we were told it wasn't in the con... so it got moved.
So if there were creepy people well... it was there or nothing. And it was up to each individual to participate or not.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:42:00 am by kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 10:35:43 am »
Hugs help you feel real.

Much like making shallow cuts in your leg or getting replies to a blog entry.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 11:34:52 am »
XD OMG TOM!

I LOVE YOU!