Author Topic: Cosplay Help?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Chouko

• Oni
Cosplay Help?
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:45:05 am »
I am hoping to go to Kumoricon this year, and I was wondering where I can get fabric. Even if I cant go this year, I want to know where I should go to make this costume. This would be the first time I would be Cosplaying, and I would be doing Alice from Alice in Wonderland (NOT TWILIGHT), because people keep saying that I look like her. Help? Also I would like some tips on how to save money (Cause I have none >_<) I can already say I can't get a job until August which is too late for the Con.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
Re: Cosplay Help?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 08:10:24 am »
I always go to Joann's to get fabric. They've got a decent selection and have a sale going every month with 50% off coupons so it doesn't hurt your wallet too much. I'm also sure you can buy a pattern for it there that you can modify to your liking.
Now best way to save money? Put HALF of any money that you get into a savings account or if you don't have one, just hide it in a box in your room. Try not to dip into that money unless it's an emergency.
That's all the advice I have for you though. Good luck!
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Chouko

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:58:05 am »
Thank you so much =D Usually I fail at saving money, but hopefully this will help =]

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 12:46:48 pm »
here is a tip for the really frugal cosplay,
yard sales, sometime they have fabric for really cheap, often they have sheets that you can use as a great source of fabric
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 05:45:46 pm »
Always try thrift stores as well. you can easily find a garment to modify or that can help with your cosplay. They also have sheets and things like that, that can be really handy. And sometimes it helps to ask family members or friends for things they might have. I tend to borrow or get things from people all the time.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:41:13 pm »
Definitely agree with everyone above. Cosplaying is only a hobby for me, so I don't invest much money. I invest more time and brain power...lol.

One time, I needed some purple fabric and I found some old bed sheets that were off-white. Since no one used them anymore, I dyed them with Rit fabric dye that was only $2 for a box of purple powder.  It turned out pretty good after some trial and error.

I do think that you have a high chance of finding something similar to Alice's outfit at a thrift store!  Her outfit reminds me of those Easter dresses or semi-English maid clothing.
Altering an outfit is a lot easier and faster than making one from scratch, at least that what I think.
Good luck!
And so it begins...