Author Topic: Policy on Realistic Prop Guns  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Telomere

• Oni
Policy on Realistic Prop Guns
« on: March 25, 2009, 07:58:40 pm »
Firstly, I apologize as I'm sure this has been asked before.  However, I have read the policies page and used the search function and have not been able to find the answer to this specific question: 

What is the policy on prop guns that look completely realistic but are completely non guns?  IE:  Built from the ground up as a prop with no moving parts. 

My friend and I want to start a project making Jin'roh protect armor and they all carry MG-42s.  What would happen if we were to walk in September with two fake MG-42s and check them at the peace bonding station?  Would they be confiscated because they look too real, even if they are just shaped like the guns and have zero moving parts?

I know people carry prop guns and they are cleared by the peace bonding station but would making a prop gun look TOO GOOD actually be a bad thing and render it un-usable at the convention?

Thanks for reading. 

Reference Image: 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:03:02 pm by Telomere »

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
Re: Policy on Realistic Prop Guns
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 11:14:36 pm »
now don't quote me on this, because I'm not ops staff, but I think it needs to have a clearly visible orange tip.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 06:14:33 am »
Correct. If the prop has an orange tip which can identify it as a non real weapon from a distance, then its good to go. please note however that this is the limit of the "gun" policy. a prob with no moving parts makes it easy because it has no chance of firing a projectile.

BUT

this does not include air soft. if it was a working weapon at one time and now is not that does not count.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Telomere

• Oni
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 03:01:40 pm »
Thanks a lot for the help!

So just to be clear, if it is completely made by me and has never had the capability to fire a projectile, then even if it looks very convincingly real it will be ok as long as I have an orange tip?

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 12:36:28 pm »
along with the mandatory peace bonding which you will receive at the convention :) (usually cright colored zip ties)
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Telomere

• Oni
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 01:08:45 pm »
Thank you very much!