Author Topic: Popular cosplays  (Read 5998 times)

Offline Rikku

• Cabbit
Popular cosplays
« on: May 11, 2009, 08:26:55 pm »
I'm curious.....

What do you think is the most over cosplayed series? What is the latest trends? Is there any anime/game that's still popular even some time after it's release?

I just want to hear everyone's thoughts on this. What would you like to see cosplay of?

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Popular cosplays
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 08:33:46 pm »
Naruto, Death Note, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Bleach

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 08:39:37 pm »
Naruto and Sailor Moon...

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 08:48:05 pm »
Naruto, Bleach and Code Geass. D.Gray-Man is gaining popularity too. So is Kuroshitsuji, but there are more Grells than anything else.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:53:56 pm »
Soul Eater is also getting pretty popular.
I usually don't enjoy seeing overcosplayed series, or at least over cosplayed characters. Most of the anime I really love are unknown or underrated anyways so it's what I'll really fangasm over.
Random question though it pertains to the thread, does the popularity of a certain series have an effect on if you cosplay it or not? I know it does with me. I like it more when less people know what I'm cosplaying as, I get bothered less and it's nice to have a few people come up that appreciate an underrated series.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:56:05 pm by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 08:57:39 pm »
'Cuz Grell's the shiz. 8)

Anywhoz, I agree with Naruto, Soule Eater, Death Note, Final Fantasy, and maaaaybe Code Geass. NOT Sailor Moon though. >8/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:56:57 am by Vampire-Kameko »

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 08:58:03 pm »
Soul Eater is also getting pretty popular.
I usually don't enjoy seeing overcosplayed series, or at least over cosplayed characters. Most of the anime I really love are unknown or underrated anyways so it's what I'll really fangasm over.
Random question though it pertains to the thread, does the popularity of a certain series have an effect on if you cosplay it or not? I know it does with me. I like it more when less people know what I'm cosplaying as, I get bothered less and it's nice to have a few people come up that appreciate an underrated series.
[/quoteI
I can't say from experience but i think i would like to cosplay as something at least a few people know about or some one i really like (like how I'm cospaying Axel and another character from Soul Eater that I've never seen a cosplay of)

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 08:58:57 pm »
'Cuz Grell's the ****.  8)

Anywhoz, I agree with Naruto, Soule Eater, Death Note, Final Fantasy, and maaaaybe Code Geass. NOT Sailor Moon though. >8/
Maybe it's because i don't like magical girl animes...i might notice it more...(sorry since i think you like Sailor Moon)

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 10:45:27 pm »
Naruto is @ the top for overcosplay-ature....(haha a made up word!) Then I'd say Bleach and Death Note (have you seen all those L's?!?! lol!) for the top 3. K-con should have a poll as to what anime series is the most cosplayed! lol.

I wouldn't say Sailor Moon is overcosplayed. I think it's pretty neat that the series/manga is still being acknowledged since I grew up watching it! ^_^

It looks like this year, Code Geass and Soul Eater cosplayers are increasing exponentially! We will see, ne? ^_^
And so it begins...

Offline CharlotteElbourne

• Chibi
    • Charlotte's Cosplay.com Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 10:47:16 pm »
Naruto, Bleach, and Death Note are over cosplayed. I still love Death Note, but I like cosplaying obscure characters more ^^ No one knows who you are, and its kinda sad since you hardly get pictures taken, but I still love it!

Sailor Moon got me into anime, so I still love it dearly =3

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 06:58:36 am »
'Cuz Grell's the ****.  8)

Maybe it's because i don't like magical girl animes...i might notice it more...(sorry since i think you like Sailor Moon)

Lol. I was just jking about the attitude, I love it dearly, but the face kinda made it bad, huh? >3< Sorry.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 08:50:54 am »
Gurran LAggan's getting up there. :/

I LOVE uncosplayed series. Gives you less to go up against when you cosplay from it.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 05:39:08 pm »
I LOVE uncosplayed series. Gives you less to go up against when you cosplay from it.

THIS.  8)

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 05:51:53 pm »
I like cosplaying characters that are cosplayed less often from a well known series, such as Temari....or Youji. But Star Ocean: Till the End of Time isn't very well known >_>;;

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 06:06:01 pm »
Hehe..has anyone else seen a Kim cosplay from Soul Eater...because I'm going as her and I've seen no one cosplay as her..

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 06:23:12 pm »
Hehe..has anyone else seen a Kim cosplay from Soul Eater...because I'm going as her and I've seen no one cosplay as her..
And you will be loved greatly for it. :3
da/tumblr

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 06:33:50 pm »
I feel special..I'm actually making most of the cosplay too..I'm kinda buying most of the stuff for my Axel cosplay other then the boots.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 06:36:08 pm »
Lol its okay. :3 you don't have to always make everything. I can't wait to see your kim btw.

THIS.  8)
;D
da/tumblr

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 06:39:38 pm »
Lol its okay. :3 you don't have to always make everything. I can't wait to see your kim btw.

THIS.  8)
;D
It most likely won't be super super because well..i haven't sewed in a bit, but my grandma will help also well I'm not one of the prettiest people in the world lol...and I'm taller than Kim but shorter than Axel..

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 09:34:16 am »
Naruto and Death not... nuff said.
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 06:03:32 pm »
I truly don't think any series can be over cosplayed. If someone likes the anime and wants to cosplay from it, let them. I guess, the only thing that bothers me is when they cosplay from a series just because it's popular, or because it's easy *coughcoughDeathnotecough*

I mean, I'll be Roxas from Kingdom Hearts, and even though he is over done, I'm still gonna do him for I think he's awesome. Of course, I'm also cosplaying a character from a series that's not to well known.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 06:06:37 pm »
o3o I think that popular cosplays usually lead to good thing. I mean, you can usually find someone who has put the same amount of work into your costume and who share same interests. >< But, with something like Naruto Uzumaki. Dx I mean, you REALLY have to stand out. A Naruto headband doesn't cut it as cosplay.

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 06:17:56 pm »
Agreed! So many people just quickly buy something that's related or just put something together, and don't really try. It's one thing to just wear some of the stuff to be a fan, it's another to pretend you're cosplaying when you really didn't try.
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 06:46:14 pm »
If you want any chance at originality DON'T do Naruto. It's majorly overdone, to the point where I can probably spot five Sakuras, three Narutos, and four Sasukes from one spot sitting down.
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 06:53:24 pm »
My opinion would be Full Metal Alchemist, Final Fantasy 7, Bleach, Naruto, Kingdom Hearts, and Death Note. :P
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 06:58:46 pm »
True with the Naruto part. I think other characters from that series need to cosplayed more. One year, I'll probably be Shikimaru.

It seems that it's either the main threesome (Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke) or the Sand threesome (Gaara, Tamari and Konkuro). Where's all the other peoples!!!???!?!?!??!?!
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 01:15:35 am »
Full Metal Alchemist
Especially with the new series out. By the time Kumoricon comes around we'll be pretty far into it. I like that though, I want to see more good FMA cosplay. Plus I've been wanting to do some upgrades to mine, gives me more of a reason to :D
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

oslapedo

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 06:53:31 am »
I like seeing FMA cosplay that aren't Ed~

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 07:00:36 am »
YUSH. :3
da/tumblr

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 03:22:51 pm »

AGREED!!! Or Al as a human...Too many of them....
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2009, 03:43:23 pm »
Yeah, this too!

I suppose I just like seeing good homunculi cosplay more than anything else in the series :P
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2009, 04:07:05 pm »
It's fun to cosplay from a popular series but as a character that no one goes as. Side characters need more love.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

oslapedo

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2009, 04:11:29 pm »
I agree, Maki~! Vocaloid's becoming a pretty widely cosplayed thing but I do the under-loved and under-represented characters like Meiko and in the future some obscure fanmades.

AGREED!!! Or Al as a human...Too many of them....

I think a human Al would be acceptable if it was a huge group cosplay of the movie... someday I'd like to do Conqueror of Shambala Winry :D

I suppose I just like seeing good homunculi cosplay more than anything else in the series :P

I like good homunculi too~

Last year there were a bunch of awesome FMA manga cosplayers, I saw Armstrong, Olivia, Mei Long, and Ran Fan. I wish I would've talked to them!

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2009, 04:43:15 pm »
Last year there were a bunch of awesome FMA manga cosplayers, I saw Armstrong, Olivia, Mei Long, and Ran Fan. I wish I would've talked to them!

I hung out pretty much two out of the three days with the Mei and Ran Fan. I was around Ling for some of the time too since he was in their 'possy'. They were really nice and awesome to be around! It's a shame you didn't get to meet them.
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

oslapedo

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2009, 05:41:54 pm »
There was a Ling too? Amazing! I love the manga characters~<3

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2009, 08:33:37 pm »
I like good homunculi too~

Yeah, I know the Armstrong and Olivia. The Olivia used to do a Martel cosplay. I've hung out with them a couple times, though mainly at Sakura-con as I'm busy staffing kcon.

If I didn't already do Greed I'd probably do a Dorochet (one of Greed's chimeras, the one with the sword) cosplay. I too <3 obscure things.