Author Topic: Why do you cosplay.  (Read 3613 times)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Why do you cosplay.
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:02:35 pm »
Give me a legit answer, not something like "I cosplay for fun" I want to know the REAL reason behind it.

I cosplay because the first con I went to in 07 I felt left out because there were some amazing costumes and I was just someone walking around in normal clothes. After that I made one and I like the attention I got when I wore it (though it was little attention) the next con I went to I wore Temari and it was such an eye opening experience. It helped me break out of my shell and be less shy. I was able to stand in front of a crowd and act out some attacks for the chess game, talk to strangers about random things and made a lot more friends.

One of the big reasons is the attention. I like the positive attention I get. Everyone seems to love my costumes and I have yet to have a bad experience wearing any of my costumes.

The other main reason is that I have always been mediocre at things that I do, I never got amazing grade, I love to play soccer but I was one of the bad players on my teams, I can't play video games very well, and here I found something that I was quite good at, or at least people thought I was really good at. I love making costumes though I tend to rush through things. I love thinking of poses and getting my picture taken.

So now you know why I do it.

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
Re: Why do you cosplay.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:14:30 pm »
I like to cosplay for attention too. not just for that but because you can be that character. and also it feels great to look cooler than you normally doo and hopefully this year it'll be more badass you know. My first cosplay ever was of a panda and everyone liked me so i wanted to do it again which i love. and then i did ash'ley' ketchum for last year and it was cool but still this year will be better.

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:23:38 pm »
I never really was into cosplay at the first con I went to 3 years ago.
I didn't really care what I looked like but as I continued on the years I became curious into what it really was.
I started seeing all these amazing cosplays and I thought "That would be so awesome if i could be one of those awesome people!"
So what happened was I looked into more animes and started liking the costumes.
I started sewing my costumes but they still didn't look so hot.
Being who I am I want awesome cosplays so I guess the reason why I cosplay is because
I want to get better and be amazing like all the cool cosplayers out there!
Plus it's so gosh dang fun!

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:36:56 pm »
For me...
I have this complex that when I see something "cool" or "cute" I HAVE to draw it, take a picture, or make it. It's kind of like Rena's cute complex (from Higurashi) that she has to take home anything she thinks is cute. Well this started a few years ago when I started to crochet amigurumi. I started seeing more and more cute crocheted animals, and I have to print out a picture. Ever since kcon 07 ( my first ever) and I made my not-so-good-$20 Ino cosplaywanted to succede and become better. Because of this, I end up with 20 or so cosplays I wanna do and have to narrow it doewn.

Another reason is that I can actually be myself at cons and meetups. I have friends that understand and that like me for who I really am. Not some person that I made myself to be. It's kind of like my secret life. Not many people know that I do this stuff. And of course, it's really fun. ;D
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 09:06:25 pm »
I get these unintelligible urges to make anything that I like. most of the time I want to make it so I can wear it. and sewing is so relaxing. I tend to never really think about the attention I'll get at cons. I prepare so much for the cosplay that I forget about that.

I think I actually like it because I get to wear the outfits. I'd totally wear my costumes out of con as well. especially if their comfy and don't show too much skin. lol
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Sutie

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 09:24:44 pm »
The first anime con I ever went to was Anime Banzai in Utah. My sister had been working year round to put everything together so I decided that I had to go. She was way to busy running around so I was pretty much on my own. I was ok for the first two hours before it overwhelmed me and I felt disconnected and out of place. Ran up to my hotel room and threw myself a pity party until I decided that it was ridiculous and I just needed to play some kick ass video game. So I did that for an hour (hella fun to see the faces of all the boys I beat.)
The next con I went to I cosplayed. Instantly I had something in common with everyone else there. People had a reason to talk to me, and I them.
Besides that. I love to dress up! I've loved it forever. Since I was 12 years old I've been making costumes and finding any reason to wear them. (I asked for a sewing machine for my 12th b-day) Especially the frilly stuff. When I got into anime I saw lots of costumes I wanted to make. I started to look them up online and woe, behold: Cosplay!

Great anime review site! http://www.otakureview.net/

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:36:47 pm »
I eat, sleep, and breathe a boring life. >_< I go by all standards and am extremely normal. I am shy, reserved, and live too seriously. For 3 days out of my life, I get to be someone different without a care (not being my serious self). I choose cosplays I enjoy--mostly heroines or who have a personality that I could never bravely attain in reality (in dreams, oh yeah!).  Like you, Nikkiolie, I also get to break out of my shell and interact with others. 

Cosplay makes me happy, and I enjoy it. It IS fun. For 362 days out of the year, it is mostly all work, school, and hardly any play for me. But with cosplay (even though I only do one), I budget time to put effort and time into making that cosplay; I think about creative methods to make it, and in the end, it makes me  ;D.

DIY hand sewing, DIY sewing machine trial and error skills, DIY everything. I found the self learner in me!

Cosplay to me is a thrilling experience. I can only enjoy this while I am young, ne? ^_^ I also felt left out not cosplaying in 06. Then came cosplays '07 and '08, which were extremely enjoyable. And now, here I am, plotting to take over the world....er I mean planning my '09 cosplay!

Thrilling, I tell you: THRILLING! (not thriller!)

^_^
And so it begins...

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 09:39:45 pm »
If you really want the truth I cosplay because I want to get out of the real world. If I can be Chouji for a day then I am in heaven. I realize that I am such an uninteresting operson in normal every day life, and to get out of that lame exterior, and experience the feeling of being one of my anime idols is like living a dream. I don't really do it for attention or the fact that I can get away with stuff, or so I cause I just get the urge to do something ridiculous. I just wanna feel like even in some world that I know will never exist I can be special. It's kinda depressing, but when I put on a cosplay I feel great because I know that people will not see me as the lame, uninteresting person I am, but as my character ^_^
Cosplay Progress:
Akimichi Chouji: 90%
Big Macintosh: 20%

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 10:03:16 pm »
I cosplay because, well, at first it seemed like the right thing to do at a con. Sure my first one wasn't great, but it was okay. I didn't think it was right to go to a con and not dress up.

Now I do it for the positive attention, because when I speak while in an elaborate costume people actually listen to me the first time I say something.

Not to mention you meet great people.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 10:20:41 pm »
It helped me break out of my shell and be less shy. I was able to stand in front of a crowd and act out some attacks for the chess game, talk to strangers about random things and made a lot more friends.
This is pretty much me right here. I too in my normal life, outside of people I'm friends with, am a pretty shy person and quiet person. Cosplaying helps get rid of that. Plus over the years I've realized I have made quite a few friends because of it as well.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 10:20:43 pm »
At first it was to join the masses in being my favorite character. But also I chose what costume would be easy to find pieces of and build, as opposed to sewing since I can't sew. I love to build and create things, blame legos on that, which expanded into drawing, and then costume building. At first, I thought Kumoricon was the only place to wear your character's clothes without being ridiculed for it. But then I discovered the forums had people organizing meetups. And so my first successful cosplay was at the rose festival picnic in 2008 at waterfront village. Since then, I've built other cosplays and attended meetups, not just for fun, but to test fire and ask others what I could do to make my cosplays better for the conventions.

Fortune and courage had smiled upon me again over the spring to fall last year when I got a job from Sherwood's Play-N-Trade, to cosplay as Captain America. To hold an arrow sign on a nearby street corner and bring the customers in. But even that costume had some flaws that I with my constructive mind, wanted to tune up and customize to work better. I've found that my unique design behind my outfits is that they're mostly made from everyday clothes in the right combination, and so they're meant to withstand the rigors of weather and travel.

Other than the one time when I worked, I always feel nervous cosplaying in public alone without a group. Though when I cosplay as a pirate and battle down at the park with my LARP Amtgard chapter, I do walk to the local store, and from home to the park and back by myself. I don't feel nervous then, just alone.

And yes, like most male cosplayers at some point, I dreamed of making a character cosplay that could reel in a hundred fangirls, a chance to be admired, and reap the rewards that would follow. A dream which has diminished over time for many reasons, but never faded. Popularity at a con is a good thing, but not the only thing. It's a privilege not to be demanded and expected of.

So for the fun of building, the fun of being in character, and the fun of being a mascot to the fans and their icons. That is my reason to cosplay. What's yours? 8)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:23:28 am by TurboSaiyanJason »
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 10:23:09 pm »
Last year, when I went to my first con, I felt I had to cosplay. I mean, who would go to a con and not cosplay? So, I cosplayed, and it, well, sucked. My cosplay was terrible, while my friends' were epic. I only cosplayed one day, but while I was there all 3 days I saw all the epic cosplayers and I felt myself wishing I was one of them. So I decided that the next year, I would have three days worth of amazing cosplay so I could do just as good as them, and have people talking about how great I looked on messageboards.

Plus, I fail at socializing forever. I really do. Cosplaying gives you an opportunity to make friends. Through KumoriCon, I've met a lot of awesome people.

In addition, the attention people get when they have awesome cosplays must be amazing. :3
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 11:27:35 pm »
I like to cosplay because I love any excuse to dress up. Even outside of conventions, I attend (and occasionally throw) themed parties or events (80's, Batman, fairytale, etc.). My friends and I are a bunch of theatre kids, so we're always thrilled when it comes to costuming. XD
My first con was back in '04. I didn't dress up at all and I regretted that I was too embarrassed to that year, so I was determined to cosplay in '05. Noticeably, I found out that it's also A LOT easier to walk up and meet fellow con goers  in cosplay than it is in regular attire. Other than that, I have way more fun and feel more involved with the atmosphere of the con.
(Oh, and because I love being some of my favorite characters for a few days out of a year ;P )
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:33:33 pm by makichan »
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 11:58:43 pm »
I love Halloween, I love anime. Put two and two together for awesome?

For serious though, I just started cosplaying just because it looked fun. I have to say my first costume was a real drag, and I didn't really like it. I'm not sure what made me cosplay again but I kinda know why I stick with it now.

It's just a really interesting feeling to pretend to be someone else I suppose. Don't get me wrong, I love the way I am, but if on a normal day I just threw on a dress and decided to grow my hair long that would be not only weird for me, but for the people around me. Cosplay gives me a reason to try out different things though. I guess I just need an initiative for stuff like that.

Cosplay has brought a lot to me now too which is why I like to keep with it. I'm more girly because of it, I get to meet awesome people that are as geeky as me (like Trumby and Maki :D), hell, I'm even in the most successful relationship I've been in because of it. Who would have known I'd meet my first love dressing up as a trap?

Anyways, longish post is long and probably doesn't make any sense because I am tired. Off to bed now~
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Rikku

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 11:39:51 am »
I love sewing. I love trying to bring characters to life. It's fun. Plus you get to meet people and start conversations over your/their costume. It's great. :)

Offline Auricle

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 01:15:24 pm »
I don't remember the exact reason I started cosplaying. Probably something along the lines of 'Oh my gosh awesome people dressed up as anime/video game characters I love!' and wanting to do the same thing. :3 Of course my first costume was utter crap. ='D Most of my cosplays haven't been bad, but they haven't been thay good either. XD I do like how my newest cosplay (N Italy) came out though. :3 Now a days, I cosplay mostly because of all the wonderful friends I've made and people I've met.

It also gives me an excuse to run around and be uber geeky. XD Plus, it's fun to try to act in-character. The Attention is really nice too~

A big improvement in myself that has come from cosplay is me becoming less awkward physically and socially. I no longer try to be invisible or worry if I'm in the way all of the time or say 'I'm sorry' like every 30 seconds. D: Cosplay has taught me how to give and recieve hugs! (The polite, non-costume breaking kind. XD) I used to really not be good with physical contact. ;_;
Possible Future Cosplays:
Sergio - Minor Acts of Heroism
Nero - Devil May Cry 4
Maybe something from Homestuck
? ? ?

Offline Hentai Cupcake

• Sailor Scout
    • Olime, Olympia Anime Club
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 03:00:26 pm »
I started cosplaying because I LOVE costumes and at my first con everyone looked so cool wearing them, i wanted to try it too.  My first time cosplaying i was extremely shy(yes i was shy once lol) but everyone was so nice and cool, i had a amazing time. Over the years through cosplaying i gained confidence, love and acceptance of myself and it pulled me out of my depression that i was in for years. Cosplaying gives me a perfect release and way to relax and express myself. I am who I am today because of cosplaying and the great people i have met while doing it.

When I look back on myself of 5 years ago its amazing to me, 5 years ago i was so awkward and shy i could barely talk to other guys comfortably and talking to girls lol impossible. I always tried to be invisible and be noticed as little as possible. Now these days I cosplay as the great Hard Gay(but yes i am straight lol) and am always social with everyone I meet, its a complete 360 change in myself that i am very happy with.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:12:30 pm by Hentai Cupcake »

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 10:43:52 am »
Here are the reasons why I cosplay:

- It's fun
- I love dressing up and pretending you're someone else for a little while
- It's nice to get some much-needed attention sometimes
- It's another way I can express my love for otaku culture
- I get to look great!

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 04:00:24 pm »
I've been watching anime for a long time but i never thought about conventions tell i heard my sister's friends mention Kumoricon (lol yes that's why I'm going). I researched Kumoricon and it looked awesome and I like dressing up as funny/cool/awesome things :P At first i wanted to go with my sister's friends, but they said no and I was sad. But I've realized since i live in a small town (I'm also a shy/not very social person) that this might be a fun change of things for me.

Offline K-Rock-InC

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 06:01:32 pm »
I needed an escape.

I needed something that would get me out of the house, even if just for a weekend, and away from the negativity that is forever spewing from my mother's mouth. I needed to find a place where people automatically understood where I was coming from, where I didn't have to explain myself about the things I liked. I really needed that.

At the time of my first con, K-con 08, my mother and I were on even worse terms than usual due to an [unnecessary] comment made on my part about my deceased grandmother. (if it helps your imagination on what I said, let's just say that I would still be wishing death upon her if she hadn't already died...) Ever since then, which was around Christmas break last year, things with my mother's side of the family have been severely terse. It's somewhat fine now, but back then it was even worse.

So I really needed to find an escape away from all the anger and hate. I wanted to find a place that had no reason to be angry. However, I don't have the funds to live in Disneyland forever, so I had to settle finding another way. That's when my friend told me about k-con and how she wanted to go to it. She told me about the cosplaying she saw at Sakura con (her first con) and how it looked like so much fun. And that's when I realized that this was the escape I was looking for.

Through cosplaying I've made quite a few friends who I already love dearly and who are from the same imaginary world that I am, and I couldn't be any happier. Whenever I get depressed now, I think about how in a few months I'll be back in that world where the only thing to worry about is running out of pocky. I instantly feel so much better.

That's why I cosplay.
This is my life. These are my choices.

izamor

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 10:18:21 pm »
I've had a boring life, ever since 5th grade when I was first introduced to video games. That's been most of my life - gaming, and hanging with friends who only game. I'm in 10th grade now, and after 5 years with the same life, it gets old. None of them are bored of it though, but I am. They think anime and japanese culture are for people who live in closets and don't get out enough. (Funny who's talking) I secretly started watching anime, and I've now seen just over 60 different series - my first one ever being Wolf's Rain. I loved it and wanted more. One of my friends has seen about 3 series, (including Code Geass) and jokingly said I looked like Suzaku, whom I then looked up and found out I look similar to. (Scared me when I saw the similarity)

My first anime was only last year when I was 15. I've gotten bored enough over one single year to watch 60 series, and become serious enough about having a second life of cosplay that I'm planning on getting a job over the summer simply to fund a simple costume - Altair. (Main dude from Assassin's Creed) I've kept this a secret from my friends and family - they all think I'm getting a job for a new computer. Oh how surprised they'll be when I order things to make a costume, huh? Which reminds me - I haven't dressed up for anything since 2nd grade, and I miss doing fun things like that. I hope to make new friends, and when I'm 18 and have a good costume, we'll see about Scon.

Hope to see you at Kumoricon in my first cosplay, and at my first con! Why do you cosplay?