Author Topic: The Lolita Thread  (Read 211154 times)

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
Re: The Lolita Thread
« Reply #700 on: October 07, 2011, 02:30:08 pm »
GLW is hit and miss, I have two friends who are "muses" for them and they seem happy with their stuff, I've worn a few of their wigs and they're okay. Overpriced though :/
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #701 on: October 07, 2011, 05:27:13 pm »
Yeah, you are. They're really high quality wigs. o.o

Which ones are you looking at?

I just don't think they're very lolita-y. I like the really curly pretty wigs. :O

fleur: I agree, they are very pricey, but really pretty~!

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #702 on: October 07, 2011, 07:35:24 pm »
Amphigory has lovely wigs, actually. Most if not all of them are from the same people that used to supply Cosworx. I might actually buy a curly black one from them because I'm putting together a really 90's classic Kuro coord.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #703 on: October 08, 2011, 05:05:51 pm »
Yeah, you are. They're really high quality wigs. o.o

Which ones are you looking at?

I just don't think they're very lolita-y. I like the really curly pretty wigs. :O

fleur: I agree, they are very pricey, but really pretty~!
Eh, I've read too many horror stories about GLW too buy from them. They get all their stock from China anyway; you can find the same wigs on Taobao for half the price.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #704 on: October 12, 2011, 03:58:21 pm »
So I received my first lolita dress the other day only to find out it's not the color the seller said it was. They said it was black and it ended up being a Wine/Burgundy/Maroonish color. It's an adorable dress but the waist is also a bit big on me.

I am unsure if I should sell it (or trade) to someone else and get another dress that is more fitted or add waist ties in the same fabric so it fits better.

Also, where would I find shoes to match? As soon as I find my camera I'll post a picture of the dress (FYI, I have no petticoat yet) but in all my searches for matching shoes I have found none. I wanted them to be the same color as the main color of the dress because I think white shoes would be a bit much since white is such a small portion of the coord. But maybe I'm wrong. This is my first dress after all...

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #705 on: October 14, 2011, 11:24:32 am »
So I received my first lolita dress the other day only to find out it's not the color the seller said it was. They said it was black and it ended up being a Wine/Burgundy/Maroonish color. It's an adorable dress but the waist is also a bit big on me.

I am unsure if I should sell it (or trade) to someone else and get another dress that is more fitted or add waist ties in the same fabric so it fits better.

Also, where would I find shoes to match? As soon as I find my camera I'll post a picture of the dress (FYI, I have no petticoat yet) but in all my searches for matching shoes I have found none. I wanted them to be the same color as the main color of the dress because I think white shoes would be a bit much since white is such a small portion of the coord. But maybe I'm wrong. This is my first dress after all...

Definitely post pics, cuz that color sounds awesome. Although you should bring it up with the seller. :T

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #706 on: October 18, 2011, 06:24:55 pm »
Here's a picture of the dress... I like the color and all but the fit is what bugs me. Plus, I still have no idea where to find good shoes for it...
Sorry for the messy bed! I've been repacking and going through some boxes.

I also don't get the long ties that are on it. They are the long strands you see going down the dress. They attach at the neck area and have white poof balls at the end. Are they to tie into a bow or what?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:25:41 pm by Gryffinclaw Princess »

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #707 on: October 18, 2011, 07:27:28 pm »
Personally, I think the maroon softens the white. Black would look too harsh.

You could get it tailored and have the ties removed.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:27:43 pm by MiriaRose »
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #708 on: October 18, 2011, 08:42:36 pm »
it's so pretty and wintery ohmigosh.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #709 on: October 19, 2011, 05:22:43 pm »
Also, I'd go with white shoes and black stockings. It doesn't matter that it's not the main colour of the dress. A white headbow would look nice, as would white lace gloves.
"Would you kindly. ."

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #710 on: October 19, 2011, 05:29:30 pm »
Alright, thanks for the help. :)
I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep it since the waist is so big on me.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #711 on: October 19, 2011, 05:40:45 pm »
Like I said, you can get it tailored.
"Would you kindly. ."

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #712 on: October 19, 2011, 05:46:59 pm »
I know. I don't know anyone in the area for that though so I'm going to talk to my mom about doing it when I see her next since she's a lot better at sewing than I am. If not, I'm going to probably consider getting a more fitted one. I have been looking into getting a mint Melty Chocolate Replica (I can't afford the original AP design since it goes for about $400 from what I have seen) or a Vampire Requiem.

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #713 on: October 19, 2011, 07:15:42 pm »
what are the measurements on the dress you have now?

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #714 on: October 19, 2011, 07:42:08 pm »
I know. I don't know anyone in the area for that though so I'm going to talk to my mom about doing it when I see her next since she's a lot better at sewing than I am. If not, I'm going to probably consider getting a more fitted one. I have been looking into getting a mint Melty Chocolate Replica (I can't afford the original AP design since it goes for about $400 from what I have seen) or a Vampire Requiem.
VR's just as expensive as Melty Chocolate IIRC and the replicas aren't very good.

Personally, I'd go with a less-popular brand print from egl-comm-sales. I snagged a MmM JSK on there for $178 a few months ago. :3
"Would you kindly. ."

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #715 on: October 19, 2011, 08:02:29 pm »
I've been scouting that site every day even though I don't really have money. But it's hard to find dresses on there my size. I'm a 34 bust and most are bigger than me and I don't want to get something baggy cause those just don't look good. :/

Sora - I'll check. Bust and Waist or length, too?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:02:50 pm by Gryffinclaw Princess »

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #716 on: October 19, 2011, 08:13:58 pm »
Uh, really? I find it hard to find stuff that fits by 36" bust.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #717 on: October 19, 2011, 08:57:59 pm »
It really depends on the brand and dress. I'm a 34 bust and I don't have problems fitting into brand. Bodyline is hit or miss, and I've never bought a replica so I dunno how they fit. I make/made a lot of my Lolita, especially skirts, because I'm cheap. lol.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #718 on: October 19, 2011, 10:16:08 pm »
Just putting it out there, I'm a 42" bust and I fit into Innocent World dresses with a little bit of room to spare in the bust. My options are limited by what they have in 'long' though.

I am trying to find things to wear besides shoulder scarves when I coord things, though. I have to cover my shoulders because I honestly have shoulders the size of a 6'6" ex-baseball player, so I'm looking at capelets and the like. I have a black fur one, but it's got a funny-shaped neck and doesn't like to stay tied around my shoulders. Tea shawls and Celtic cloak pins or thick coats are my next option here, I'm thinking. Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #719 on: October 19, 2011, 10:27:06 pm »
I have a capelet pattern with a hood. I may be able to scan it or something. Or meet you on campus and let you borrow it to copy it. I usually just wear cardigans. XP
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #720 on: October 19, 2011, 10:33:19 pm »
i am haveing an issue finding a lolita style wig that is brown that isent to curly that long with two pigtail clips for it as well.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #721 on: October 19, 2011, 11:09:27 pm »
Yes, I need an 86cm bust and the ones I see are always around 90cm.
Mind you, I don't look through every post in a day so obviously I can easily miss some.
I will admit I find a few that will fit but then they don't fit my waist (I'm 27in/69cm) or they don't really look like something I would want to wear. I am very iffy on getting something with carousel horses or unicorns on it because I don't know how that would look.
If any of you guys find an 86/69 dress or something very close in size I would gladly look at it. It just seems a lot of dresses with my chest are around 80cm in the waist, too. :/

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #722 on: October 20, 2011, 07:08:00 am »
Are you sure you're looking at the right measurements? Because a lot of sellers will list the max measurements, but if the garment has corset lacing/shirring and waist ties then it can go smaller.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #723 on: October 20, 2011, 10:08:59 am »
Yeah, a lot of JSKs and OPs are 87/68 at their regular measurements. You should want to have an outfit that has a little bit of room, honestly. If 1cm is that much of a problem you can wear a push-up?

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #724 on: October 20, 2011, 10:12:53 am »
If you cant find a dress in your size, most places have a custom order offer. I know that with fan plus friend, its only 5 dollars more to order a custom size.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #725 on: October 20, 2011, 12:26:54 pm »
Bunny - You may be right. :/ I feel stupid now

Lt - 1cm isn't that big of a deal to me but a push-up isn't really an option. At 34D a pushup bra normally makes me look huge.

Tala - They have a very nice blouse I want to get on there that I have been really looking at getting. :P
As soon as I move and get set up with a job I'm really thinking about getting it. My bf even likes one of their jackets (for guys obviously) and I might get him it for x-mas.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #726 on: October 20, 2011, 01:40:33 pm »
Yay! I love that store lol im hoping to pet some dresses from there one day

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #727 on: December 15, 2011, 06:25:26 pm »
Did you ever figure out what to do with that dress?

Offline sakuri

• Cabbit
« Reply #728 on: February 15, 2012, 01:48:16 pm »
Okay, so I'm only halfway through reading the thread, and I learned a lot, thank you all for posting such amazing tips!

I'm looking to get into Lolita fashion, and I have some questions...

Are magazines, or mooks, like Goth Loli, Gothic Lolita Bible, and Kera good places to look for inspiration?  I know these reflect Japanese fashion trends, and I'm not sure how the trends look here yet.  I also noticed the magazines have styles that aren't strictly lolita, aristocrat, or one of the other categories. (So many corsets in )  I like Goth Loli, because it comes with patterns, but I don't want to spend two months making a dress, only to not fit in at all...

Has anyone heard anything, good or bad, about Clobbaonline?  I like the list of brand names and items, but don't want to end up ordering from a site like Milanoo, since I read that horror story linked earlier in this thread.  I've already bookmarked Annahouse and Bodyline.  I also think buying something while I figure out how the blouses and skirts work is a good idea...

What are some coordinates you would recommend?  I got that blue and white is out, and that black and white is considered Sweet Loli, I think?

Are there any meet-ups happening before Sakura-Con?  I read earlier in the thread, there is a chocolate event sometime this month. Has that passed, or is anyone going to that?  How many of you will be there (at Sakura-Con)?  I'm kind of nervous driving up to Seattle for a lolita event and not knowing anyone.  I am very intimidated about wearing this style in an environment where I don't know anyone...

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #729 on: February 15, 2012, 02:48:19 pm »
Okay, so I'm only halfway through reading the thread, and I learned a lot, thank you all for posting such amazing tips!

Are magazines, or mooks, like Goth Loli, Gothic Lolita Bible, and Kera good places to look for inspiration?  I know these reflect Japanese fashion trends, and I'm not sure how the trends look here yet.  I also noticed the magazines have styles that aren't strictly lolita, aristocrat, or one of the other categories. (So many corsets in )  I like Goth Loli, because it comes with patterns, but I don't want to spend two months making a dress, only to not fit in at all...

Has anyone heard anything, good or bad, about Clobbaonline?  I like the list of brand names and items, but don't want to end up ordering from a site like Milanoo, since I read that horror story linked earlier in this thread.  I've already bookmarked Annahouse and Bodyline.  I also think buying something while I figure out how the blouses and skirts work is a good idea...

What are some coordinates you would recommend?  I got that blue and white is out, and that black and white is considered Sweet Loli, I think?

Are there any meet-ups happening before Sakura-Con?  I read earlier in the thread, there is a chocolate event sometime this month. Has that passed, or is anyone going to that?  How many of you will be there (at Sakura-Con)?  I'm kind of nervous driving up to Seattle for a lolita event and not knowing anyone.  I am very intimidated about wearing this style in an environment where I don't know anyone...

Mana From MALICE MIZER is the best to look at gothic lolita i have a gothic lolita myself that is in my sales if you want to see that for an example as well. heres a pic of mana as well mana was my insperation bigg time  ^^ and no worries i m not going to sakura this year but the lolita community is very friendly they helped me with finding the right style for me as well ^^

Mana is in the pick below
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:52:39 pm by Titus_Love_Doll »

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #730 on: February 15, 2012, 09:35:34 pm »

Are magazines, or mooks, like Goth Loli, Gothic Lolita Bible, and Kera good places to look for inspiration?  I know these reflect Japanese fashion trends, and I'm not sure how the trends look here yet.  I also noticed the magazines have styles that aren't strictly lolita, aristocrat, or one of the other categories. (So many corsets in )  I like Goth Loli, because it comes with patterns, but I don't want to spend two months making a dress, only to not fit in at all...

Has anyone heard anything, good or bad, about Clobbaonline?  I like the list of brand names and items, but don't want to end up ordering from a site like Milanoo, since I read that horror story linked earlier in this thread.  I've already bookmarked Annahouse and Bodyline.  I also think buying something while I figure out how the blouses and skirts work is a good idea...

What are some coordinates you would recommend?  I got that blue and white is out, and that black and white is considered Sweet Loli, I think?

Are there any meet-ups happening before Sakura-Con?  I read earlier in the thread, there is a chocolate event sometime this month. Has that passed, or is anyone going to that?  How many of you will be there (at Sakura-Con)?  I'm kind of nervous driving up to Seattle for a lolita event and not knowing anyone.  I am very intimidated about wearing this style in an environment where I don't know anyone...
I think that mooks are a great source of inspiration, but I would try to do simple coords first, then expand into other styles/being creative with coordination. I've heard pretty good things about Clobba, but they're really just a shopping service.

As for colors, blue and white (like royal blue) is pretty popular right now among Gothic Lolis. Black and white exclusively is considered "Old school" or "old school gothic" because that's what everyone was doing back when Lolita was first popularized in the west, but now it's associated with being "ita" and discouraged unless you know what you're doing.

As for colors for YOU, I don't know because I'm not sure what style you like best. I would look at bodyline and pick out a piece you like, in whatever color, and then coordinate around that piece.

The chocolate fest meetup was a couple weeks ago, yes. ;_; For Sakuracon some people are trying to plan a tea party event, but it's not for sure yet. Usually someone puts on a lolita fashion show as well. When you go to a meetup for the first time it's best to just be outgoing, be yourself, talk, and get to know people, because that's how you'll get to know the other people involved and be more comfortable. :D

A couple of links for you~
http://daily-lolita.livejournal.com/   Daily Lolita. Lolitas post their coords here~ Great inspiration place.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/249963740322/   "Portland Lolita Tea and Cake Society" aka the Oregon Lolita Facebook group. We plan events through here and talk about stuff!
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline sakuri

• Cabbit
« Reply #731 on: February 16, 2012, 11:50:44 am »
I think that mooks are a great source of inspiration, but I would try to do simple coords first, then expand into other styles/being creative with coordination. I've heard pretty good things about Clobba, but they're really just a shopping service.

So there wouldn't be anything wrong with making a pattern from one of the mooks, so long as I don't do any strange coordinates?  Granted it turns out right...

As for colors for YOU, I don't know because I'm not sure what style you like best. I would look at bodyline and pick out a piece you like, in whatever color, and then coordinate around that piece.

Thanks!  I will definitely look at Bodyline again.

http://daily-lolita.livejournal.com/   Daily Lolita. Lolitas post their coords here~ Great inspiration place.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/249963740322/   "Portland Lolita Tea and Cake Society" aka the Oregon Lolita Facebook group. We plan events through here and talk about stuff!

Thank you!  I'd found both the Oregon and Washington LJ communities, but  hadn't seen the facebook group yet.

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #732 on: February 16, 2012, 09:17:13 pm »

So there wouldn't be anything wrong with making a pattern from one of the mooks, so long as I don't do any strange coordinates?  Granted it turns out right...

Thank you!  I'd found both the Oregon and Washington LJ communities, but  hadn't seen the facebook group yet.

The only thing to be wary about when using mook patterns would be fit, because the patterns are made for tiny Japanese girls, so always make a mock up with cheap fabric before going all out. But yeah, I would master basics first, then when you're confident expand your style and start experimenting. :)
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline sakuri

• Cabbit
« Reply #733 on: February 17, 2012, 10:31:37 am »

The only thing to be wary about when using mook patterns would be fit, because the patterns are made for tiny Japanese girls, so always make a mock up with cheap fabric before going all out. But yeah, I would master basics first, then when you're confident expand your style and start experimenting. :)

Thanks for the suggestion!  I'm taking the mooks over to a friend's of mine on Tuesday to help me alter the patterns, and get general tips on how to do some cotton mock-ups, so I don't ruin my pretty fabric when I don't know what I'm doing.

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #734 on: February 18, 2012, 07:31:59 pm »
iz made a headdress thingy and got a new wig I found it was alot easer then it looked to make one
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:32:24 pm by Titus_Love_Doll »

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #735 on: April 05, 2012, 12:15:19 pm »
i have a few things to ask.

Wering cat ears is said to make lolita look more like a costume, but some lolita were wigs. Wigs make it look more cosplay like. wo why is this?

I am seeing Kuro lolita and gothic, but i am having a hard time figuring out what the differance is. Help please?

thank you.
Lolita and "lolita cosplay" are not the same thing, and ever will be. Period.

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #736 on: April 05, 2012, 12:45:03 pm »
Cat ears are associated with cosplay mostly. While lolitas who wear wigs wear them to add to the outfit.

Kuro is all black, while Gothic can be black and white. There are other components that are included, but I'll let others do that.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #737 on: April 05, 2012, 12:48:21 pm »
Cat ears are associated with cosplay mostly. While lolitas who wear wigs wear them to add to the outfit.

Kuro is all black, while Gothic can be black and white. There are other components that are included, but I'll let others do that.

But cat ears could do the same thing. I meen, I have to basicly were cat ears like every day because of who i am. And I think the wig makes it look more cosplay.

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #738 on: April 08, 2012, 10:05:04 pm »
Cat ears are really not considered Lolita. Even when brands put out cat ears most Lolitas won't wear them unless it's meant to be part of a theme (this goes for other animal ears--bunny, bear--as well). TBH it looks tacky and almost never goes with the general aesthetic theme of Lolita.

As for wigs, again, you can't just throw on any wig. It needs to add to the aesthetic appeal of Lolita: innocent, elegant, etc. I generally don't wear wigs when I wear Lolita. I think I've maybe done it four times over the last three years that I've been wearing the style. I don't wear them simply because they're uncomfortable for a long period of time. A lot of Lolitas also wear wigs because their normal hair does not match the style because their normal fashion does not match the hairstyles associated with Lolita (it's a loop, did you notice?).

And that's all I really have to say about that.

EGL community hair/wig tag entrees: http://egl.livejournal.com/tag/beauty%3A%20hair%2Fwigs
More discussion and opinions of cat ears in Lolita: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=003815590009091905317%3Avm_kbkrxpvy&q=cat+ears&sa=Search+EGL#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=cat%20ears&gsc.page=1
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:06:45 pm by bunny_jean »
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #739 on: April 08, 2012, 10:16:00 pm »
Honestly, most lolitas will tell you that cat ears are a no no for lolita because it makes it look like cosplay rather than a style.
In my opinion though, if you do it right, you can wear cat ears, bunny ears, and even mouse ears, just as long as the outfit is well put together and the ears complete the outfit. If you're like me and want to cosplay lolita, which has been a problem topic here on this thread, I would suggest that you take the cosplay and make a lolita version, rather than take say, a kuro outfit and make it "cosplay" by adding ears. I have a sweet lolita minnie mouse cosplay that sadly didn't make it to con last year because I had only finished the skirt by day one, but its minnie mouse IN sweet lolita, not sweet lolita with minnie mouse extras.
If you want to get into the actual fashion, and wear it outside of cons, I would say not to ear the cat ears all the time. But I have seen some very beautiful and well constructed lolita cosplays with cat ears, so I don't think it would really be a bad thing.

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #740 on: April 20, 2012, 11:29:18 pm »
Okay, but what if the person were cat ears, not as a cosplay or anything anime related but because they are a furry or something along thoughs lines.

I totally get the cat ear thing though.

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #741 on: April 21, 2012, 09:42:00 am »
Okay, but what if the person were cat ears, not as a cosplay or anything anime related but because they are a furry or something along thoughs lines.

If someone wore cat ears, no matter the reason, they would probably be looked down upon or like they didn't know what the fashion was really about.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #742 on: April 21, 2012, 10:05:19 am »

If someone wore cat ears, no matter the reason, they would probably be looked down upon or like they didn't know what the fashion was really about.

It shouldn't matter whether or not they would look down upon her for wearing them, she's a furry. That means she can just incorperate(sp?) Her ears and tails into her lolita style. You've said so yourself, lolita is a fashion. Fashion is about expressing who you are through your style and clothes. There isn't a set book of rules for fashion. This is why there are tons of different sub-styles of lolita.

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #743 on: April 21, 2012, 10:46:16 am »

It shouldn't matter whether or not they would look down upon her for wearing them, she's a furry. That means she can just incorperate(sp?) Her ears and tails into her lolita style. You've said so yourself, lolita is a fashion. Fashion is about expressing who you are through your style and clothes. There isn't a set book of rules for fashion. This is why there are tons of different sub-styles of lolita.

That may be true, but all of the Lolitas I know would not approve of cat ears. Lolita is about expressing yourself, but within the aesthetic style of the fashion, which cat ears are not a part of.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #744 on: April 21, 2012, 10:54:51 am »
i have a few things to ask.

Wering cat ears is said to make lolita look more like a costume, but some lolita were wigs. Wigs make it look more cosplay like. wo why is this?

I am seeing Kuro lolita and gothic, but i am having a hard time figuring out what the differance is. Help please?

thank you.

I will say this Lolita is lolita it is  a fashion to most now and days or even called cosplay to normal people no matter what you try to tell them  even if there is a bible on lolita most see past it becuse it is who the person is and the charater they are playing. I know furried and hybrids who wear their tail and ears even their whole fur suit in lolita. to most girls on this fourm Are wrong and seem not to understand what a fashion is, You tell them that it is an expression if they are a furrie as a person then i see no issue of them being a furrie and wearing lolita. i see that everything can be consider a costume even lolita. SO my little lolita friends as someone who been around and wearing lolita for 10 years, wear your cat ears wear a fur suit and wear lolita, I say lolita is a way to create your own fashion. your own speshial look. As most lolita i know said the same thing to me. Its all about showing off who you are as a person NOT JUST THE FASHION.

Personally i will say if you want to wear them go for it and rock it out with your outfit and be cute. if others tell your wrong you tell them stright out that just becuse there is a bible for it jsut becuse its a fashion dosent mean you can not creat your own look. with your self or your charater. YOu tell them that you are a furrie and your are a hybrid and if you want to wear your animal ears or furrsuit you ll do it and you ll do it proude becuse lolita is about expressing who you are.

and if anyone tells me I am wrong you can talk to my friends who are in to lolita and tell them they are wrong.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:09:08 am by Titus_Love_Doll »

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #745 on: April 21, 2012, 11:50:34 am »

That may be true, but all of the Lolitas I know would not approve of cat ears. Lolita is about expressing yourself, but within the aesthetic style of the fashion, which cat ears are not a part of.

So cat ears are frowned upon, but bubblegum pink hair isn't?
And "expressing yourself within the aesthetic style of the fashion" is not expressing yourself at all. Expressing yourself has no boundries.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #746 on: April 21, 2012, 12:42:07 pm »
Holly has been a member of the social aspect of lolita for a long time, as have I. She's not trying to say "YOU'RE WRONG AND NO ONE CAN WEAR CAT EARS EVER", she's pointing out that the majority of lolitas look down upon girls who include cat ears and other such things in their outfits.

The online lolita community can be harsh, we're just trying to keep you from being hurt or harassed.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #747 on: April 21, 2012, 12:48:52 pm »
Exactly as Katie said. Go ahead and wear your cat ears, but if someone posts a picture of you on loli-secrets degrading your choice, don't be surprised.

Also, Tala, I don't know why bubblegum pink wigs aren't looked down upon. They just aren't. I don't choose to wear these wigs with my Lolita because I like how natural hair colors look with it better (also wigs are itchy). The wig phenomenon is quite new to Lolita anyway, probably only about two years old, and really took off with the development of the OTT sweet substyle, which some Lolitas find a bit ridiculous anyway.

Also, we wouldn't have fashion styles if each didn't have it's own aesthetic appeal. We would all just be wearing random stuff.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:58:21 pm by bunny_jean »
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #748 on: April 21, 2012, 01:31:19 pm »
The thing about cat ears is you can't just wear them to wear cat ears. The same with wigs.

Long post ahead, ho.

Let's just take Lolita out of the equation for a minute and just talk about fashion. Fashion is about looking good, flattering and, to a point, expressing yourself. To be well-dressed, you have to understand what looks good and what doesn't. Colors have to NOT clash, lines have to work, and and outfit has to seem connected. NEVER just throw on something (a wig, jewelry, cat ears, etc) just to have it on. A coord has to be well-thought out and items have to work with other items. There are two questions I ask myself before I add any item to an outfit: Does the item flatter me? Does the item look good with the other pieces?

Now back to Lolita. You can ruin a coord by tossing on a wig that just doesn't look good. Like I said before, every item you wear has to combine with the other items to create a pleasing effect. Wigs CAN be seen as "cosplay-ish" or they can work well with an outfit. Let's take the two questions from before and use them to see if a wig is gonna work with an outfit.

Example 1 (terrible wig choice):

Does this wig flatter her? No. The cut just doesn't look good on her, and the color is awful with her skin tone.
Does this wig look good with the rest of the pieces? No. It has nothing in common. This wig looks like it was just thrown on, and makes the whole outfit look awful.

Example 2 (slightly better):

Referring to the girl on the left.
Does this wig flatter her? No, no it doesn't. the super pale, shiny colors look awful with her skin tone, and she appears to be disappearing into the endless volume. This should already be enough to nix it on the outfit.
Does this wig look good with the other pieces? For the most part. While the colors do technically match, it is much brighter and shinier and it draws all the attention to itself with its mass.

Example 3 (here we go):

The girl on the left.
Does the wig flatter her? Yes. It works great with her skin tone, it's not too shiny, and the cut does nothing bad for her.
Does the wig look good with the outfit? Yes it does. Colors work, it doesn't take attention away, the curls wrap around the hat cutely and it's just generally good.
This outfit also has animal ears. Well-thought-out ears are fine.

An example of bad ears in lolita:
everything else seriously

JUST MAKE IT MATCH OR DON'T WEAR THEM jesus christ this isn't that hard

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #749 on: April 21, 2012, 02:57:06 pm »
I personally don't even like the crazy-colored wigs or animal-eared hats (that may have something to do with my being a Classic/Elegant Gothic Lolita), but if they're incorporated into an outfit and the outfit works then by all means use it. If you want to wear a pastel green and chocolate brown wig with your mint Chess Chocolate dress, go right on ahead and do it. It looks tacky, but it matches the color scheme and it's probably a much more 'lolita' hairstyle than what most folk already have.

HOWEVER.

Animal ears will make your outfit look like a costume. A tail will make your outfit look like a costume. It doesn't matter what you happen to be wearing at the time, random animal bits stuck to you will even make Baby the Stars Shine Bright and Alice and the Pirates look like a costume. I've seen it happen, and it ain't pretty. You wanna wear your ears because they're "~part of who you are on the inside~" then go for it, I'm not gonna stop you. There's no guarantee that other lolitas won't laugh at you and your haphazard, seemingly slapdash accessorizing, though.