Author Topic: Why do people have a secret cosplay?  (Read 7718 times)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Why do people have a secret cosplay?
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:11:42 am »
Simple enough right?

I think I was trying to keep my finished version of Kuja a secret because I wanted some attention and I wanted people to be excited for my costumes but I realized that even if they know what it looks like they will still be excited. I just don't see the point in keeping them a secret, let alone the fact that I can't keep a secret, at least not a costume I am excited about doing. XD
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:12:01 am by nikkiolie »

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
Re: Why do people have a secret cosplay?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:13:59 am »
In my opinion, it depends on the cosplay.  ;)  If it's a brand new series that nobody knows about or one that is rarely cosplayed but people would be excited to see, I would want to be one of the only ones to cosplay that one character. It's a little selfish, but yeah, I wouldn't want others to get the same idea and totally outshine me. Lol. I'm a bad person inside.

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:15:07 am »
You know...I don't really have a reason xD except that my secret cosplay is linked with one of my friends and I don't know if she wants people to know. I'll probably end up spilling it anyways. I always realize that I need to ask a question about them so then I make them not secret anymore xD Once I get started on it, I probably wont be secret anymore.
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 11:17:40 am »
In my opinion, it depends on the cosplay.  ;)  If it's a brand new series that nobody knows about or one that is rarely cosplayed but people would be excited to see, I would want to be one of the only ones to cosplay that one character. It's a little selfish, but yeah, I wouldn't want others to get the same idea and totally outshine me. Lol. I'm a bad person inside.
I would think if you are worried about being out shined then you should establish your grounds early on.

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 11:29:00 am »
I would think if you are worried about being out shined then you should establish your grounds early on.

Yeah, but that is only part of it. Sometimes people like to be unique in being one of the only people at their con to cosplay a certain person. I dunno, it'd just be cool. >3<

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 03:37:38 pm »
I never really got it either. ouo; I always thought it'd be better to let people know so they know what to look forward to, how to spot you out, and so it was less likely that someone else would claim the same character.

But sometimes I'll keep something a secret if I still can't decide on doing it, or I've just started working on it and I'm afraid I won't be able to finish it. Less pressure then if I change my mind~ -u-

I just thought, if you're going to have a secret cosplay, why not keep it a total secret and not even say that you have a secret cosplay? :P Just suddenly spring it up one day. Wear it to a meetup when you say you'll bring something else. It's definitely a lot more spontaneous, and no one can say that they guessed it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:54:56 pm by Hazuza »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 07:47:07 pm »
I think keeping it a secret is, in some way, a way of keeping the veil on it, so that when it is revealed there's no doubt about it being a total surprise, and you get nothing but original responses to it. I don't know, maybe it just is more fun for people to have something that nobody knows until they want them to know it.

I personally have never had a secret cosplay and probably never will. I like talking about my cosplay too much, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 08:25:51 pm »
I do it to surprise my friends :3
I like to be spontaneous and unpredictable XD

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 08:54:24 pm »
The thing about secret cosplays, in my opinion, is that if you're doing a super secret no-one-has-seen-or-done-this-character-before cosplay, who's going to know what character it is in the end? It's pretty much all about what people KNOW and are familiar with, and characters that people are FAMILIAR with have most likely been done already. Only the real diehard-of-the-series fans might to be REALLY impressed.

Probably about 90% of everyone isn't going to know how to make chocolate, but everyone knows the Hershey's brand name, and that they make a few different chocolates. Same with Naruto, Inuyasha, Ranma 1/2, Kenshin, and many others. Everbody knows the brand name anime, and that they have different kinds of characters, but 90% of everyone most likely won't know (or maybe not even care) about the other characters or any secrets behind the name.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 01:36:54 am »
I think it just shows that you're excited about your costume. Different people express it different ways. I agree that I'd never be able to keep a secret, though. ::)

What bothers me is people who get upset when they find out that somebody else just happened to have the same idea. It's like two characters on a sitcom glaring at each other because they wore the same dress to prom.

I don't know about you, but when I cosplay an uncommon character and meet someone with the same cosplay, I often make friends with that person... GMTA, and all. (Link doesn't always count, because everybody and their grandmother cosplays Link)
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 10:34:36 am »
I...don't get why people have secret cosplays either x_x I mean, if you're going to cosplay someone, just say so so more people browsing through the forum will know that character will probably be at the con.

Keeping it a secret doesn't really do much. Especially when you wear your secret cosplay K-Con weekend, how was I supposed to know it was secret? xD

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 11:12:27 am »
Yeah, it really doesn't seem to do much. The con is so populated now, keeping a costume a secret only insures that you'll have an even greater chance of getting lost in the crowd. Nobody will have their eyes peeled for your costume because they won't know what you're doing.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 11:17:10 am »
And if the costume makes you look completely different no one will recognize you unless you tell them who you are.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 11:20:02 am »
I understand keeping some things a secret. Sometimes I've posted in the past that I was going to go as ____ and suddenly, about a week or so after, everyone wants to cosplay this rarely cosplayed side character and I end up changing my idea. I hate being one among thousands.

Plus, I usually use post it as a secret when I haven't fully decided what my next cosplay is lol.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 11:27:36 am »
That must suck, planning one that you're sure will be special and be yours, and then having a bunch of people pop up with the same idea. That'd drive me crazy. Fortunately it hasn't happened yet. I feel like I cosplay reeeeally obscure characters, so I don't think I have to worry about it. Not yet anyway. Even if it were an issue, I don't think keeping it a secret would change anything.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 11:32:04 am »
Yeah that hasn't happened to me either, mainly because I don't think many people would be brave enough to wear Kuja's outfit :P

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 11:34:52 am »
haha, yeah, you've got a lion's courage, Nikki. But it is well-earned, cause you do make a pretty fantastic Kuja.

I have the same confidence in my Barret. I know Hitokiri cosplays him too, but nobody really likes him enough to cosplay him (or whatever) so I am confident in not getting outrun with that one.

That is actually always a driving force in which cosplays I choose to do. I'm the Underdogger (if I were to be given a title in the Cosplay Classification thread) - I'm attracted to characters that are either underrepresented or unrecognized, for some reason, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 11:53:09 am »
Plus, I usually use post it as a secret when I haven't fully decided what my next cosplay is lol.

I agree with that. I'm still not 100% sure that I can afford or have enough time to make mine. I don't want people to be dissapointed I guess xD
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 12:41:20 pm »
I understand keeping some things a secret. Sometimes I've posted in the past that I was going to go as ____ and suddenly, about a week or so after, everyone wants to cosplay this rarely cosplayed side character and I end up changing my idea. I hate being one among thousands.

This is why I don't keep my cosplays secret, so other people would've known I was doing that character, thus lowering the chances of having too many repeats~ Of course, you don't know for certain how many non forum members will show up with the same costume as you, but it's up to you to make an educated guess I suppose DX

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 12:50:20 pm »
I just thought of another reason why I like to keep a secret one.
It's cause whenever I post my cosplays up people always/usually find them cool and want to cosplay from the same series or game or even the same character. Then I don't feel really special anymore. And I end up dropping that cosplay even if it's something I wanna do. Like hmm...I donno if I'm just weird or something but when my friends and I cosplay the same person it just bothers me and I end up not doing it. It just kinda makes me feel uncomfortable. And then there's my spontaneous unpredictableness thing.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 02:24:18 pm »
And if the costume makes you look completely different no one will recognize you unless you tell them who you are.

It's kind of fun to have that happen sometimes, though. To quote Calvin and Hobbes, "It's that moment of dawning comprehension I live for." ;)

But I totally understand. Some people want to be recognized so they can find someone to hang out with. For me, though, I know so many people at the con that I'm not really worried about it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:24:59 pm by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 02:57:47 pm »
Ok....I see what people mean. Trying to keep others from taking their idea that is. It seems like everyone is now making the cards from KH: CoM where before I had never seen anyone use one. x.x

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 10:02:59 pm »
I did it because I only want to cosplay it if the costume turns out well. Its a disappointment factor for me. If I don't like how it turns out I don't have to wear it cause no one is expecting me to. (flawed I know, but I've never been one to use proper logic)
I miss 2010.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 08:45:51 am »
That makes a lot of sense, DS. In retrospect, I would have done that with my Azul, since it didn't turn out that well and I wouldn't have otherwise been locked into it like I was by announcing it. (Sort of anyway...)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 09:53:57 am »
I did a super secret cosplay just once for subversion, just cuz i started it a week before the event, it was to me, more of a suprise at what i managed to get done in one weeks time

by the way does anyone thing i should add pug face wrinkles on my pakkun costume ?

i am just not sure it there is room
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:00:16 am by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 10:05:50 am »
I liked your costume a lot at Subversion Jaz :> And I think you should add pug wrinkles, the face looks a tad bit plain with out them.

Ah secret cosplays, I don't understand them either. I said I had a secret cosplay for Sakuracon but I ended up telling all my friends about it. I'm bad at keeping secrets, I don't know how you all can do that!
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 10:07:07 am »
Maybe if you ban yourself from the forums you could keep a secret, lol. Just get yourself banned......no, that's an awful idea, lol

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 10:09:22 am »
Ha ha, but all my friends would know still since I blab my mouth too much. I guess the only way I'd be able to do it is if I locked myself in my house and only worked on cosplay until the convention came about. But I'd probably look gross by that point and it doesn't sound like a lot of fun.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 10:24:01 am »
lol I end up having to spill my secret because of help or certain reasons.
I always end up telling Dana my secret cosplays though XD

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 10:40:27 am »
haha, I'm such a shut-in that I probably could pull it off, if I did get banned from the forums that is, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline TinTin

• Cabbit
    • Cosplay.com
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 11:00:06 am »
How do you get help if you are keeping your cosplay a secret?
For example;
"Hey, how do I build a gunblade with a lion?" = you are cosplaying as Squall.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 11:11:13 am »
Ask people outside of the area you'll be cosplaying in (ie. the Cosplay.com Forums - those are global).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 11:11:56 am »
lol That's why i have an exclusive amount of people to ask for advice.
I know they'll keep it a secret too :3
Yeah that too XD
Did what I type even make sense?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:12:24 am by Sugarlat »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 11:14:12 am »
That must be nice, your little circle of secrecy. I will have to build one if I ever do a secret cosplay (which I doubt I ever will). I know I can trust Kahlan! lol

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 11:15:47 am »
lol yuh my circle of secrecy~
It's convient since they all make their cosplays and can help me XD

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 11:18:17 am »
Nice. That's the other reason I could survive if I needed to keep a secret - I don't really get help on my cosplays except from Kahlan. I don't need to disclose my cosplay secrets to nooobody.....but I like to, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Konan-ChanX3

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 11:30:16 am »
I have secret cosplays because I like to keep people guessing, although I say from which anime/game to keep 'em guessing.
*All puns to be taken literaly, and not towards any one individual.
Kumo '11
Ventus - KH BBS
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji
Ezio Auditore - Assassin's Creed II

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 08:29:58 pm »
lol I do it for shock factor, but I guess this year i'll say what I'm cosplaying as. XD
I'm going as Buttercup from powerpuff girls Z, Tira from soul calibur 4 and Big sister from Bioshock 2.

But I think allot of people keep them secret in the hopes they'll only be the one cosplaying as "blank" But sorry to say the only way your going to be the only one is if you pick a huge or extravagant cosplay or one that many people have not heard of. But who cares, cosplaying if just for fun, if there's more than one of you stand out from them. Be more in character do something your, character will do.lol
 :D

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 10:52:15 pm »
Or if you cosplay an original character. Though I doubt there will be many Kuja's at kumoricon this year XD

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2009, 06:34:11 pm »
Yeah, I think you're safe there, Nichole, heh

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2009, 08:35:01 pm »
Hehe...I will say something about my cosplay when I actually make the main part of it. If I fail--(my zero sewing skills...) then I might just have to change characters~ T_T I've been working and just had my wisdom teeth removed...so I haven't gotten around to making the darn thing. I am excellent @ procrastinating~

Secrets are just fun 2 keep, 4 me anyways~ hehe
And so it begins...

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2009, 08:44:50 pm »
You must be good at keeping them then, huh? haha, There are two kinds of people after all: those who like to keep secrets...and those with friends, lol

Juuuuuuust kidding, haha

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2009, 08:53:52 pm »
You must be good at keeping them then, huh? haha, There are two kinds of people after all: those who like to keep secrets...and those with friends, lol

Juuuuuuust kidding, haha

Hey ya!!! LOL. That was funny. teehehe... i was thinking u were going to say that there are those who can keep secrets and then those who are dead.... umm...morbid! ~~~
Well, I am good @ keeping them...according to my friends. They are not imaginary either, mind ya!!
I don't think I've ever disclosed any secrets that was not mine to keep. I am a ninja at heart, I guess.. Ninjas are stealthy~!   

Secret cosplay - oooooo gotta stop procrastinating!!! :3
And so it begins...

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2009, 08:56:09 pm »
haha, yeah, I was just playing, but that's great that you're able to have your secret cosplay to unveil on your own. That's always a fun feeling, the unveiling.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2009, 02:59:16 pm »
I thought of another reason people might keep a costume secret. If it's a visual gag costume that is funniest when you see it before knowing what it is, the joke will be better if kept secret. ;)

Example: the taco cosplayer I've seen at several cons so far.  I trust you've all heard the joke behind that one by now?

Apollo Justice

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2009, 03:10:24 pm »
Taco cosplayer???

I don't like to keep my cosplays secret, because I guess I just love hearing people being excited that I'm cosplaying them!

And the fact, that I'm just horrible at keeping something that I'm really proud or happy about secret...
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2009, 12:14:47 am »
Taco cosplayer???

Ah-yep. A taco wearing a Naruto headband.

Apollo Justice

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2009, 05:03:43 pm »
lol
I'll have to find him then!
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2009, 01:56:58 am »
lol
I'll have to find him then!

Go for it! The taco was at Sakura Con this year. However, you'll be looking for a girl. Not that gender is necessary for identification when you're wearing a taco costume...

Apollo Justice

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2009, 06:44:21 pm »
Wouldn't want to approach the wrong taco cosplayer! D:
I miss 2010.