Author Topic: May I take your picture?  (Read 9476 times)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
May I take your picture?
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:34:29 pm »
As the con draws closer some people are wrapping up their costumes and starting to get ready for what they will actually DO at the con. I want to try to give some people a little bit of advice. Pictures are a very common thing at a convention. Either you will be taking pictures or someone will take a picture of you (if you are cosplaying) so here are some tips to make the whole thing a little easier.

As a cosplayer:
There are essentially two types of pictures: ones for others and ones for yourself and there are do's and don't for both.

For Others:
These are the pictures that will be the most common. When someone comes up to you and asks if they can take your picture. To me getting my picture taken is a huge complement, it tells me that my costume is good enough for someone to want to document and that is how most people should view it.

For these pictures you may want to practice some poses before hand. I would recommend about three or more poses. A well known costume will have a lot of pictures taken and you don't want to see the same things over and over do you? So do a little research on your character and find a few poses that they would do. This may involve you being a little creative. It is a good idea to practice these poses in front of a mirror and while a friend takes a picture. It is easy to do a good pose in a mirror but it may be harder to duplicate the same one when you can't see yourself so have a parent or a friend take some shots and review them.

As for some good slimming poses it is a good idea to do a 3/4 stance, or your feet pointed to the side and your torso turned to the camera. This will show the narrowest part of your stomach. Also pull your shoulders back and be aware of your chin. I used to let mine drape down and it would give me multiple chins. If your character does more of a downward look it is still easy to fix, lower your shoulders as much as possible without looking awkward and then pull them back. Also stick your neck out just slightly to give your neck a more elongated illusion.

This will take practice. But an example of this pose is as followed

I have a pretty nice looking stomach but a lot of pictures really do not capture the true look of it. This is one of the few pictures where you can see the definition that I tried so very hard to obtain.

Also, if you have props make sure you use them. If they are a defining characteristic of the character make sure they are visible in the picture. Props make it much much easier to pose yourself as well. There is so much to do with a simple prop. If your character doesn't have one maybe you could find something that would work. Take Kuja for example. He uses magic so he doesn't have a weapon, I am thinking about using a stuffed dragon I have since he does ride around on a dragon.

For yourself:
These are the pictures that you are going to want to look back and remember. Most of the time these will be the best picture of your costume and will involve a professional photographer or someone who is good at taking pictures. These are the pictures where you can break character or do some things that you may not know how they will look. When you are posing for a picture for someone else you typically want to give them something that looks nice, but here you will have the opportunity to do something that may turn out to be really really cool or horrible and never want to see again.

For these pictures you will need to be a lot more creative then taking pictures for others. Sometimes photographers will pose you but it is also be your responsibility to do some of the work as well. If you head to cosplay.com they have a bunch of pictures that are showcase pictures. These are the best of the best.

Also inspiration can strike at anytime for these pictures. The picture below was actually taken when my photographer was taking a picture from above me and I was reaching up for the camera to view the picture she just took and she stopped me and told me to use the other hand.

These pictures do not necessary have to come from the game or anime but can be from anything with the series in mind. Take the image in my avatar for example. The one of Larxene holding a card in front of her face, I got that from a Dark Knight poster I have http://culturewizard.rw-3llc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/dark-knight-posters.jpg

As a photographer:
This is mainly going to be for the amateur photographers not the professionals because they don't need help :P But as I stated earlier these pictures are for you. You should take a look at the picture after you take it and make sure it is what you want, if it isn't good enough then ask for another. Also, it is a good idea to show them the picture as well. They may be able to do something so much better.

The cosplayers may pose themselves but you may also have a pose you would like them to do. If they are already in a pose take the picture and then politely ask them to do the one you want. I have done this before myself. A friend had a great costume and I saw him pose for someone else by flipping off the camera and when I asked he did a different pose. Latter I found out my friend knew him and then I asked him to do that same pose. I was happy I did because it was a great picture.

For both parties:
Remember your please and thank yous. You are borrowing time from someone so always thank them for their time. Also, be sure when you take a picture to move out of the way of other people. Please for the love of God do not block the hallways. Those halls are small and narrow so respect others.

I hope this helps some of you a little.

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
Re: May I take your picture?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:31:49 am »
Oh my gosh, thank you Nikki.
This thread is amazingly helpful.~

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 03:47:28 am »
You, uh.....you gettin' paid for this, Nikki? Seems like you should be, lol. This is amazing, should be stickied and published in every cosplay magazine in circulation! Brilliant resource, great tips. I am definitely going to have to work on my poses. Thanks for the suggestion. Never considered how important it is to have more than one or two.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 07:17:29 am »
Thank you! That's alot of good info!
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 07:39:26 am »
good info! ^^ this is one thing i always forget until the day before >.<
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline TheTerribleTrivium

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 08:15:13 am »
Great advice for everyone. Thanks ^_^

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 11:13:33 am »
I was just giving advice that I use. I have come a long way in a short amount of time. This was my first real cosplay at my second con.
I had a few pictures taken but I didn't really know what to do. I hate this picture. I understand that I could have done much worse but I really dislike this one.

Another thing that is really really important is to remember makeup. Even for guys, makeup is very very important. It will give you more of an anime feel. For guys all I am talking about is a little bit of eyeliner to make your eyes stand out a little more. For girls it is a little more complicated then that. In the picture above I am wearing no makeup. And there are a bunch of makeup techniques that can be found all over the internet. I find if you are a female cosplaying a male one of the most important ones is putting brown shadow on the sides of your nose and along your jaw line to add contouring. In the very first picture of this topic you can see the shadow on the side of my nose quite well.

Here is an example of how much makeup can help a photo.

On the left I have no makeup on but on the right I darkened my eyebrows, added mascara to the top lashes. I also added brown eye shadow to my eyes and eyeliner. On top of that I did the contouring techniques I mentioned above. Guys also have less pigment in their lips so I covered mine with my foundation to help hide the color.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:14:23 am by nikkiolie »

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 01:05:14 pm »
"how to cosplay vol 1" is realy helpful in make up stuff
kumoicon 2013:

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 01:20:09 pm »
Even more great tips. Thanks, Nikki!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 01:29:56 pm »
Even for guys, makeup is very very important.

QFT.

A lot of guys don't think they need it, because... makeup is a girly thing! Right? For everyday use, yeah generally. But in becoming a certain character? No. Ever heard of stage makeup? All actors use it. By cosplaying, you are essentially doing the same thing - making yourself into someone else, a set character. You should absolutely not go as far as someone would with stage makeup, because some of that has to do with how the light on stage generally washes out your face, so the makeup needs to be darker to accentuate things enough so that people can see your face while you're on stage. But still - a little makeup goes a long way. Anime and game characters feature perfect skin, and of course a lot of people don't have that.  Putting on some foundation and a little powder will help with that and still make your skin feel natural. A slight bit of eyeliner to accentuate the eyes or make them look a certain way helps too. Using brown instead of black can give a more natural look and not look weird at all. Makeup helps a ton, even for guys.

These are good tips, Nikki. Thanks for putting them all out there in a convenient place for everyone here. :D
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:29:47 pm »
You should now venture into the topic of "Convincing your guy friends/boyfriends that they really do need makeup" or "Ways to constrict them from moving so you can put it on by force".
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Chibiorochimaru

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 03:08:25 pm »
xD yes that would be great
La vie est le plus beau spectacle sur terre~

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 03:46:52 pm »
Makeup is verrrry important (and that's coming from a guy), if not for cosplay than for yourself! It took me a while to come to terms with wearing it but I haaate finding photos of myself and DUN-DUN-DUNNNNN my acne is showing. I have horrible skin so, even though I don't like it that much I always at LEAST put foundation and powder on my face. It's also good at hiding that "Irish red" I tend to get when it's hot. >>;

Though I am curious, nikkiolie mentioned that putting foundation on your lips takes away some of the pigmentation? My lips tend to get very... um, pigmented (XD) so I am thinking of trying that. Does it rub off a lot though? Is it safe to put foundation on your lips?

Oh, also on the same lines of makeup. I like to use eyeliner or something to color my eyebrows a similar color to my wig. Looks more 'natural' in photos, I think... which is an odd concept when you're talking about things like green and blue hair. XD
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 05:21:08 pm »
Foundation is safe on lips, I haven't had any issues with it nor does it really come off. It does a little when I put chapstick on over the top of it because it tends to make my lips dry (but this is coming from a person that almost always has chapstick on :P ), or if I drink or eat something.

As for the eyebrows that is not a strange concept at all. Actually many people do it and there is a whole process for doing it to dark eyebrows. All you do is use a paint brush and put elmers glue on it and paint it on over your eyebrows, once the glue is dry you then paint over the glue with a paint that is a similar color as the wig. I have yet to use this but I will have to for Kuja. Here is the tutorial for those that are better learners with pictures. http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=152632. And before anyone asks it is safe as long as you are careful not to get it in your eyes. Elmer's glue just washes off when you are done.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:22:07 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 07:17:59 pm »
I will try the foundation on the lips this year then! Usually they're okay but I've caught myself with really pink or red lips before... blech, stands out horribly against my glow in the dark skin. XD;

Huh, glue eh? I've never tried that. I've only had to color my eyebrows once and it turned out pretty good. I have a lighter wig this year though so I think I will give the elmers process a few test runs this summer. =)

Thanks!! ^^
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 08:01:03 pm »
woah o.o i shall try that some time it looks 250% better
kumoicon 2013:

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 08:44:01 pm »
As far as your makeup idea goes though, I've found that I can't really wear eye-liner or mascara. Whenever I put it on, even if it's just a little, it makes me look like I'm trying to be goth. -w-
I usually just stick to foundation and blush. :33

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 08:53:41 pm »
You might not be used to what you look like with the make up on or you could be putting it on too thick. Even if it is thick it would show up in pictures that are a bit farther away (anything that is not just of your face) better that way.

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 09:00:31 pm »
I-I could try some this year. xD;; -Shot'd-
Haha, I'll experiment with it some time. x3

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 09:19:48 pm »
Try lighter colors?
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 09:20:37 am »
Oh and I just got some liquid brown eye liner and it works pretty well. It looks less intense then black would so you could always try that one.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 12:00:36 pm »
I thought of something else to add to this.

Cosplayers: for the love of god if you are going to pose, commit to it. I have seen so many half ass poses.

I'll give you an example just with my hand making a claw like motion (something I do a lot with Albel)

Weak:

Strong:

The second one looks much better because I fully committed to making the claw. Poses like this can require a lot of muscle to hold so practice holding them for a long time. At a con what seems to happen is that someone will pose for one photographer and then 10 others will show up and you may end up being stuck there for a while.

Now look at this picture

It is a very good picture but half of it is better than the other half, can you guess which half I am talking about?
Axel and Kairi are pretty committed to their pose yet the sora is just standing there with an arm stretched out. This is a good picture but it could be amazing if the Sora would have crouched down in an attacking position a little more with the hand stretched out. Because honestly, if Kairi was in that position Sora would not just be standing there :P

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 12:13:07 pm »
Oooh that's a very good point, committing to a pose is important if you really want it to turn out well. It'd be embarassing to be the one person who didn't.

As for the makeup tips, those are great too I just doubt I can do that personally. I know nothing of about any type of makeup so my ability to use it is none, and even if I knew some I wouldn't know what I'd need.

Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 12:30:30 pm »
Hey everybody Animeman73 here. I'm going to be bringing a digital camera to Kumoricon this year. I'm going to be taking a whole bunch of pictures for my blog Scififantasyanimeman over on Wordpress.com  8). And best of all I'll have a larger chip so i can take more. I'll be wandering about in my ninja costune and I'm planning to hunt and take a picture of one Tomthefanboy. I have gifts of thanks for him and for the Kumoricon staff  ;D. My gifts I can say will be very practical. As a habit I always ask my subjects before I take a picture of them, to me that's just courtesy. Oh and by the way I have pictures from last year's Kumoricon up on my blog if anyone's interested :). Also I'll be happy to pose if anyone wants just come up and politely ask me.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 12:33:29 pm »
I've got a few poses in mind. My favorite so far is Garnet's pose on the FFIX cd case, but in the dress. xD

Also bringing my 10 mega pixel HD camera; takes short video too, so I can do that. I may get a second card for it, depending on certain factors, and need a LOT of AA batteries. ^^;;
KumoriCon 2012

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 12:39:20 pm »
this is interesting : D I have another tip for photographers though:

is one of the best photos Ive taken as a photographer? How did I get it? well one going at some extreme angels so I could get the right shot (seriosly there is a lot of akward positions as the phtographer) and also just talking to the model : o

when you make chat with the model it really helps them relax and gives a much more natrual pose. A lot of poses for shoots are very spurr of the momment. I know when I'm the photographer I tend to instruct my models a bit like "Ok sit right here and let me git up here then lean back a bit and look up at me" but when I'm the model I'm ussualy coming up with my own poses just because I tend to know what I want. Maybe its just who I'm photographing (ussualy my best friend) and who photographs me (again my best friend)
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 01:11:33 pm »

QFT.

A lot of guys don't think they need it, because... makeup is a girly thing! Right? For everyday use, yeah generally. But in becoming a certain character? No. Ever heard of stage makeup? All actors use it. By cosplaying, you are essentially doing the same thing - making yourself into someone else, a set character. You should absolutely not go as far as someone would with stage makeup, because some of that has to do with how the light on stage generally washes out your face, so the makeup needs to be darker to accentuate things enough so that people can see your face while you're on stage. But still - a little makeup goes a long way. Anime and game characters feature perfect skin, and of course a lot of people don't have that.  Putting on some foundation and a little powder will help with that and still make your skin feel natural. A slight bit of eyeliner to accentuate the eyes or make them look a certain way helps too. Using brown instead of black can give a more natural look and not look weird at all. Makeup helps a ton, even for guys.

These are good tips, Nikki. Thanks for putting them all out there in a convenient place for everyone here. :D

I am going through some real fun with my cosplay this year.  I am bleaching my beard.  I think I would rather try make-up.  I couldn't find anything that could make a dark beard blonde, other than bleaching it.  There are plenty of theatrical makeups that will allow me to make my beard look grey, or darker, but they don't work well for making it look blonde, and they rub off easily.  There was NO WAY I was going to get makeup on my dry-clean only dress coat.  Why does Hohenheim have to wear a full length wool dress coat anyway?  GRRRrrr...

I also may have to put a bit of make-up on my cheeks to fill in the beard there.  Hohenheim has those blonde points that come in towards his nose.  My hair just isn't that thick that far up.  I am in a quandry about how I want to do them., whether I will paint them in with make-up, or try applying some latex and adding some hair.  I have some hair there, it just isn't very thick, and after I bleach it blonde, it is hardly noticable.   :-\

I also have two versions of Hohenheim to portray.  I have the Hohenheim from the first anime, he seems sort of tired and sad, Ed, Al and Winry have no problems talking with him.  He wears a blue bow-tie and a white scarf.  The other Hohenheim from FMA Brotherhood appears to be much more evil.  He is un-approachable and cold.  He wears a green neck-tie.  I am going to be portraying both of them, and am trying to figure out poses for each.  Sort of tricky when the main pose is to stand straight with your hands in your pockets.  Anyone bringing a wind machine to the con?   :P
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 01:19:32 pm »
I haven't seen Brotherhood because I much prefer the original anime and the manga, but that's a weird take on Hohenheim. Cold and unapproachable? In the manga he's a lot more like he is in the original anime. xD

I'll probably need more make-up for Yuna then Garnet or Nagisa. I may be a fair, pale, pale white girl, but Yuna is... a fair bit more pale. o.o
KumoriCon 2012

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 01:55:33 pm »

QFT.

A lot of guys don't think they need it, because... makeup is a girly thing! Right? For everyday use, yeah generally. But in becoming a certain character? No. Ever heard of stage makeup? All actors use it. By cosplaying, you are essentially doing the same thing - making yourself into someone else, a set character. You should absolutely not go as far as someone would with stage makeup, because some of that has to do with how the light on stage generally washes out your face, so the makeup needs to be darker to accentuate things enough so that people can see your face while you're on stage. But still - a little makeup goes a long way. Anime and game characters feature perfect skin, and of course a lot of people don't have that.  Putting on some foundation and a little powder will help with that and still make your skin feel natural. A slight bit of eyeliner to accentuate the eyes or make them look a certain way helps too. Using brown instead of black can give a more natural look and not look weird at all. Makeup helps a ton, even for guys.

I am going through some real fun with my cosplay this year.  I am bleaching my beard.  I think I would rather try make-up.  I couldn't find anything that could make a dark beard blonde, other than bleaching it.  There are plenty of theatrical makeups that will allow me to make my beard look grey, or darker, but they don't work well for making it look blonde, and they rub off easily.  There was NO WAY I was going to get makeup on my dry-clean only dress coat.  Why does Hohenheim have to wear a full length wool dress coat anyway?  GRRRrrr...

I also may have to put a bit of make-up on my cheeks to fill in the beard there.  Hohenheim has those blonde points that come in towards his nose.  My hair just isn't that thick that far up.  I am in a quandry about how I want to do them., whether I will paint them in with make-up, or try applying some latex and adding some hair.  I have some hair there, it just isn't very thick, and after I bleach it blonde, it is hardly noticable.   :-\

I also have two versions of Hohenheim to portray.  I have the Hohenheim from the first anime, he seems sort of tired and sad, Ed, Al and Winry have no problems talking with him.  He wears a blue bow-tie and a white scarf.  The other Hohenheim from FMA Brotherhood appears to be much more evil.  He is un-approachable and cold.  He wears a green neck-tie.  I am going to be portraying both of them, and am trying to figure out poses for each.  Sort of tricky when the main pose is to stand straight with your hands in your pockets.  Anyone bringing a wind machine to the con?   :P
You could try using paint and glue to get it lighter like people do to lighten their eyebrows. Maybe get a fine tooth comb and comb the paint and glue mixture into your beard. *shrugs*

Offline Kayani_Neko

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 02:57:48 pm »
I love to get a picture from you in my Edward Scissorhands cosplay and with my Hikaru and I(Kaoru)! <3

Is there a price?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2009, 03:04:13 pm »
I am actually the cosplayer in most of those pictures. I don't take fantastic pictures but I do take some alright ones. If you want a good photographer I suggest asaxchan (her forum name) who took this one

or Jailbreak design (Zombieface on the forums) who took this one:

Jailbreak design is doing a shoot with all of my costumes at k-con.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2009, 03:10:13 pm »
Kayani: I will be around the con : o I'm alright at photography, if you wave me down I might take a few pics of you if you would like. I'll hav emy nice camera

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 03:43:57 pm »
Wow , thats the best advice Iv'e ever heard this morning. xD
seriously that helps alot , great tips!

Thanks (=
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline Kayani_Neko

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 03:53:20 pm »
Okay, awesome! I'll keep an eye out. Though I will be more than partially blind most of the time. xD

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 03:56:32 pm »
Okay, awesome! I'll keep an eye out. Though I will be more than partially blind most of the time. xD

xD Im a bit hard to miss. Look for princess peach : )

Offline artamisalbrya

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2009, 05:39:19 pm »
Also, photographers - don't be afraid to explore those "Abstract" Angles.

This was taken by asaxchan at one of the meet ups earlier this year. She wasn't afraid to interact with me. What she did was, crawled on the ground between my legs and snapped the picture from her back. It turned out quite well, because she was able to cut most of the people/excess surroundings that didn't 'fit' in the shot. Don't be afraid to ask to do a shot like that, because more often than not they turn out pretty well. But Photographers, don't be pervy when trying to attempt shots like this (Unless tasteful and with permission).
However, shots like this only happen when one ASKS politely for specific shots.
Also, shadow work is very cool. If you can cast a shadow across the persons face, use the wig - tree - or building, try it. See if the contrast makes the picture look cool. Because, even though you can't see my face, you know who the character is and who the cosplayer is.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2009, 05:42:06 pm »
personally, I will be excited to hear people want to take my picture, because like the first post said, it show's that people are admiring the way you look, which is a huge compliment in many ways.

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 05:46:38 pm »
It's a huge compliment, but sometimes when you're in a hurry it can be annoying. xD I don't know this from experience but I can only assume it'd be a big hassle.

Mannn all this prep for the con is getting me hyped!
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2009, 05:53:29 pm »
aaaah i hope i get pics this year i pobably only got like 10 only.

Offline Kayani_Neko

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2009, 05:54:21 pm »
I can't really use that angle unless I'm going to be going for a "HELLO BOOBIES" shot. xD

I wish I was flatchested, cause I love that angle. <3

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2009, 05:57:13 pm »
I can't really use that angle unless I'm going to be going for a "HELLO BOOBIES" shot. xD

bind? D:

Offline Kayani_Neko

• Catgirl
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2009, 05:59:35 pm »

bind? D:
I have WAY too big a bust for that too work well. xD
Trust me; I bind for all my cosplays, and it only takes me down to a C at the least. xD

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2009, 05:59:53 pm »
That reminds me of something, I mean what you just suggested chihiro, is there an effective way to bind WITHOUT using Ace bandages? If I should ask this somewhere else my bad, completely. I just read some things that made me uncomfortable with using them so I'd rather find an alternative.
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2009, 09:56:44 pm »
well its that or duck tape ussualy : / I'm on expert but one way to do it is to try to squish the boobs to the side a bit. If you flatten them moving outwards it makes a tad less painful and less noticable for those odd angel shots. You can get that by ussualy doing a criss cross patern, then if you really want to go for some heavy binding you criss corss them so they go out, then take another roll and wrap it around normally. this should give you a very flat effect.

but binding hurts, kinda end of story. do you use a sports bra underneath? thats the best way to keep it from really hurting. And are you using the ace that stick to your skin or the toap kind that you wrap around your wrist when you sprain it? Using the later is less painful.

but if your worried about using bandages dont be. There are a lot of horror storries, but those ussualy come from people who dont know how to do it. The basics are, dont wrap tight enough you cant breath, and always make sure you have a layer underneath the bandages to keep them from ripping your skin off.

Kayani: you might try the criss corss then over again idea I suggested, i find it works well. If that still doesnt work a nice trick if your going for fun angels to go below but at the side a bit. It lessens the effect occasionally if you do it right. : ) Also baggier shirts help. If you can add some poof to the bottom of the shirt, it makes the top less noticeable.

Offline Kayani_Neko

• Catgirl
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 10:07:41 pm »
Kayani: you might try the criss corss then over again idea I suggested, i find it works well. If that still doesnt work a nice trick if your going for fun angels to go below but at the side a bit. It lessens the effect occasionally if you do it right. : ) Also baggier shirts help. If you can add some poof to the bottom of the shirt, it makes the top less noticeable.
I don't think you understand exactly... I'm a G. There's no getting around that. And I know how to bind, I know several tricks and tools for it. I've tried various ways, but the smallest I can get to is like... a C cup. If that.

And, pushing your boobs to the side is really bad for them. Push up and back. Strap those bitches down good. ;D
Cause, if you bind that way and you're big, you have the risk of splitting the skin in the middle. Yeah. Try wearing a bra with no skin where the underwire lays. NOT. FUN.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2009, 10:18:26 pm »
Oh ow O_O And yeah I can imagine that hurts x_x it doesnt for me cause uh im rather petite. though I wasnt talking like forcing them all the way over to the side but I see your point.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2009, 10:20:26 pm »
Other then tape (I would suggest sports tape over duct tape since it is made to stick to skin and hold pretty well if you get the right stuff) there are also binding shirts. The tape method really doesn't flatten you out all the way but it is useful for open shirt costumes.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2009, 10:22:13 pm »
Other then tape (I would suggest sports tape over duct tape since it is made to stick to skin and hold pretty well if you get the right stuff) there are also binding shirts. The tape method really doesn't flatten you out all the way but it is useful for open shirt costumes.
still if your not wearing an open shirt wear a shirt underneath the tape, makes it less painful.

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2009, 10:23:13 pm »
Thanks so much for the advice guys!~ I figured out a very effective way to bind through this and I'm very grateful! c:
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3

Offline Kayani_Neko

• Catgirl
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2009, 10:24:06 pm »
I had a feeling. xD
And yeah, I'm kinda... Disproportionate. I'm actually pretty skinny other than my boobs. >.O;

But yeah, you kind of have to find out what works for who. Different sizes can do different things. While looking for ways to bind myself, I found out a LOT.

By the way, you freaked out my Hikaru. It's fun to watch her spaz. xD

Hikaru's jacking the comp for a bit.
But no, I saw a girl- she wasn't huge or anything, not a fatty-chan but definitely a B or a C and SHE SPLIT HER SKIN DOWN THE MIDDLE OF HER CHEST PUSHING THEM TO THE SIDE. BLOOD EVERYWHERE. It was pretty freaky, so... I want to save others from that kind of pain. She screamed, my friend.