Author Topic: Foundation-Eyeliner-Blush oh my!  (Read 6695 times)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
Foundation-Eyeliner-Blush oh my!
« on: August 24, 2009, 01:09:37 pm »
Nikki you has inspired me a bit : P

One thing important to cosplayers here is make up! Yes boys even you too.
While photographs are all fine and dandy, and the photographer usually has to work hard to get the good shot, Make up always helps in creating a clean face and making things more elegant and less photo shopping in the end.

There are some BIG parts to make up that I encourage even males to look into before a con where they know their looking for good shots.

Foundation is one of the biggies, just a light coating will do but a bit of foundation can make a world of difference.

This is me before I put on make up for a shoot:

not pretty eh? Theres small brown marks on my face, circles under my eyes, my eyebrows are still dark, and I look over all very monotone and flushed out.

well then this is me after makeup

My face is now smoother, thanks to the foundation, and the blush highlights my face and makes me look more alive, and meanwhile the eyeliner has changed the shape of my eyes a bit.

For looking like a girl there are some very important things to remember make up wise:
1. A good coating of foundation helps smooth out the face and make it less shiny which makes a very big difference in photos. Just put a little on your nose and then suddenly your not going to have a ray of light shining of your schnauzer.

2. A little blush goes a long way. Dont put huge circles on pink on your cheeks, but dip the brush in your blush, and draw it along your cheek bone, feel the the bone, it starts close to the middle of your ear then works its way down and across your face, stop before you get to far to your nose or else it will look like to much.

3. A little lip gloss, just a light pink, or lip stick is even better. Highlight your lips, not big red that shines like a stop sign, but add color to your lips, they tend to get washed out if your taking your photos in a badly lit environment (like cons occasionally.)

4. Eyeliner, it just needs a thin line that runs across the top of your lid and the bottom. One of my tricks to avoid smudging is to hold my bottem lid down with my index finger and feel for the little ledge and draw my line there. Your eyeliner is more prone to smudge if you draw it about under your bottom lashes.

5. Mascara, if your being a girl this is a must. It adds to the femininity greatly.

for boys trying to be girls:

you need to make your face look a bit more slender, hence why the blush is a very good idea as is the lip stick to add some color. there are certain tricks you can do with blush to make your face look more or less different.

For boys:

less make up is perfectly fine, as boys didnt need to look like there wearing makeup or erm it turns out a bit weird.

I do however recommend a coating of foundation, when done right its not noticeable but adds a smoother feel to your skin. And occasionally if your cosplaing more of the bishie type, a bit of eyeliner helps, not much, a good brownish instead of black does the trick well.

and lastly for girls cosplaying guys:

you need a good foundation, and get a brownish blush a bit darker than your skin tone.
one of the tricks used is to get a light eyeliner (brown) and smudge it around your eye lid with a bit of monotone ish eyeliner. it adds a more rugged look to eyes.
then one handy trick is to take the blush (the darker one, it shouldnt be a pink more like a brown) and spread it below your cheek bones, not on but bellow. It makes your bones look bigger and more masculine.
if you have brighter lips, may I suggest a bit of a skin tone lipstick? not to much but just a little really helps!

if you want some more help take a look at these places:

Basic male makeup to look more like a guy for girls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUsbjkqUVH4&feature=channel

Female makeup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pceokOMQycY&feature=channel

Near flawless skin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmkRR9WlFKs&feature=channel

Basic makeup prep by China:

http://snowpeachdrop.deviantart.com/journal/22960695/

http://snowpeachdrop.deviantart.com/journal/22961024/

A photography guide by Behindinfinity, it also covers some make up advice (even some to help out the guys)

http://behindinfinity.deviantart.com/journal/16401555/

well thats all I have to say about make up x_x I'm no expert perhaps this may help a bit in considering tricks to get that right look for the con or a photoshoot
hope that was in anyway helpful
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
Re: Foundation-Eyeliner-Blush oh my!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 01:27:41 pm »
One other thing I forgot:

coloring of the eyebrows : o makes a big difference when you have dark eyebrows but a light wig.

it makes the wig look very unnatural when the eyebrows dont match well: for a good tutorial on how to color your eyebrows heres a link:

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=152632

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 01:41:58 pm »
i put on so much make up to look flawless.

concealer around red spots, under eyes, eyelids ands dark areas.

foundation: to cover up the concelear and look much smoother.

powder: for setting the concealer and foundation. its also shine free so no oilyness

eyeshadow: for emphasizing eye color cuz i dont have contacts

liquid eyeiner: to emphasize eyelashes

mascara: givin

fake eyelashes: to make eyelashes pop for photos

opaque lipstick: to take out alot of red

lipgloss: to make it shiny

blush: make me glow

then i'm done woot woot! alot of steps but it takes only like 20 minute.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 01:43:16 pm »
This, this, this. For a long time I didn't wear any makeup and was always sad at how blah my face looked in pictures. And heaven forbid I have a break out before con, which always ended in me trying every urban myth ever to try to rid of the grosses on my face.

I must add though, if you are cosplaying a character that it works for, it is nice to get a little creative with your eye makeup. I'm just about to go do my makeup now, so I will totally take a before and after picture and throw on a wig.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 01:46:49 pm »
About the eyebrows, I've found it usually looks more unnatural when the colour is changed, as if they were painted on. o.o

Then again, I have dark eyebrows but naturally light hair, so I guess I'm used to seeing eyebrow colour differ?
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:49:32 pm »
I found that putting the paint and glue onto an eyebrow brush and running that through your eyebrows makes it look more natural than just painting it on with a paint brush.

Also for eyeliner it needs to be thick. Pictures make you look washed out and in order for your eyes to stand out it does need to look a little funky.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 01:50:12 pm »
miria: theres a certain way to do it. In one of my picture sin the first post you can see my eyebrows colored, if you do it right it looks a bit more natrual than if you use a neon yellow.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 02:11:40 pm »
I was the only person in my family to get hit with bad acne so my plain face can get pretty bad. But considerable difference just like Chihiro. I was going to put my wig on but it looked pretty dumb.

I also wanted to say remember to put lotion on your face before you do your makeup so you don't have nasty skin flakes and don't buy all your makeup at once if your just starting out. Go from product to product until you get used to it. I started with foundation, then mascara, then eyeliner, blush, and I've just started working on eyeshadow. I'm probably going to try to use fake eyelashes soon too.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 02:17:30 pm by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 02:15:50 pm »
^ you look pretty either way but a bit of foundation, eye make up, and some blush really make a difference : )

really nice pics boogie <3

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 02:31:43 pm »
If you are looking for some great tutorials on applying make-up I suggest you look here:

Michelle Phan's Channel

I first discovered her when looking up anime eyes.  I was looking for videos on drawing them, and stumbled over her video on make-up.  Definitely worth looking into.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 02:42:14 pm »
My turn :P

without make-up:

With foundation, powder and bronzer:

All my make-up on and two different ways of putting on eyeliner:

I like the way the eyeliner is put on my left eye (the side with the bangs) better than my right eye. It defines them more. And to do that I just put eyeliner on my water line which is the little ridge between your eyelashes and your eye. The other way is just above your top lashes and below your bottom lashes though it tends to take a steady hand to do that.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 02:43:07 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 02:47:18 pm »
^the little ridge is what I mentioned earlier : o its a bit nicer effect isnt it?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 02:47:53 pm »
Yeah it seems to be. I used to do it that way then I switched but I think I will switch back now :P

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 02:53:43 pm »
It doesnt smudge as much for me when I do it that way, tahts why I prefer that method.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 02:57:23 pm »
When I do it the other way I use liquid eyeliner so it doesn't smudge at all after it dries :P

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 03:01:28 pm »

I also wanted to say remember to put lotion on your face before you do your makeup so you don't have nasty skin flakes and don't buy all your makeup at once if your just starting out. Go from product to product until you get used to it. I started with foundation, then mascara, then eyeliner, blush, and I've just started working on eyeshadow. I'm probably going to try to use fake eyelashes soon too.
Fake eyelashes are a B****! XD
That could be because mine were super long, though.
I wore them for a doll outfit and we wanted really exaggerated lashes. Hehe.
I miss 2010.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 03:05:48 pm »
I find them hard to deal with too. I can't get them close enough to my real lashes :P

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 03:32:43 pm »
Thanks for posting! I'm not so good with applying makeup, and this helps quite a bit.  :)
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline Tsuki-Ken

• Cabbit
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 03:58:42 pm »
I don't really use make-up, so I only have eye-liner and lip gloss. I've been reading a lot of posts about the importance of using make-up while cosplaying, so maybe I have to run out and buy stuff.
Thanks for posting, it'll be helpful for when I end up doing that.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 04:08:17 pm »
It really is important, the flash on a camera really washes a face out. Just a little bit of makeup will help hide blemishes, get rid of freckles and even smooth out your skin. I have a lot of scars from acne and you can't see them at all.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 04:09:52 pm »
It really is important, the flash on a camera really washes a face out. Just a little bit of makeup will help hide blemishes, get rid of freckles and even smooth out your skin. I have a lot of scars from acne and you can't see them at all.

same here, it really does a world of good, even a little bit, and even if your a boy.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 04:12:31 pm »
What I really need to do is get some good pictures of just me. Not in costume. My senior pictures from high school are horrible :P I have lost a lot of weight since then :D

Offline Tsuki-Ken

• Cabbit
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 04:13:54 pm »
Yeah, I have freckles and none of my cosplays do.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 04:16:58 pm »
I got them pretty bad too, but when I have make-up on they go away, and so does the redness that my Irish heritage gave me :P

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 04:17:57 pm »
o wo thats yet again very helpful!
And I'm lucky to hear that my mom has all that stuff so we don't have to buy anything else Dx
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 04:19:54 pm »
I need to get some more eyeliner but that wont be much of an issue :D

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 04:21:14 pm »
I need to look into liquid eye liner, I use a water proof one right now that I like but for the con i need something guaranteed not to smudge : /

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 04:21:27 pm »
Today I went out and got makeup for my cosplays for the first time, it cost wayyy more than I expected it to but that's okay. Since myself, nor my mom, really use makeup it's to be expected. Hopefully it really improves the look of my costumes, since I don't know quite how to use the stuff I'll need to learn from scratch. Wish me luck! xD
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 04:24:11 pm »
makeup can cost a lot. I just got new foundation and mascara and that was almost $50 >_> There are some good stuff that isn't name brand that you can get at a drug store but my skin is such a weird color that no other foundation matched me right so I had to get the expensive stuff x.x

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 04:26:01 pm »
I find them hard to deal with too. I can't get them close enough to my real lashes :P

Ah~ well what I do before I put glue on the lashes, I put them on my eyelid and see if they look good (too long etc.) if they are too long, trim them so they look more natural~~  :3

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2009, 05:04:15 pm »
fake eyelashes are soo easy to put on cuz i'm used to them now. evrytime i go out i wear cosplay yup yup. gaah i want to post a before and after pic sooo bad now. i'll do it later tonight when i'm bored lol

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2009, 05:14:43 pm »
 /Fails at make up...OH WELL..my sister can do it :P

Offline Hidamari

• Catgirl
    • Reddsause- fandubs, parodies, and then some!
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 06:48:44 pm »
I use cheap makeup- except for my eyeliner. It's my moms. The foundation works well, but I need need new foundation soon.                                   does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap but good brand?
Sakuracon~

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 07:00:49 pm »
cheap? hmm grocery outlet or somehing....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:02:39 pm by DooFeRthePanda »

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 07:02:08 pm »
i guess i'm just a make up fanatic.

i coulda got  a whole new cosplay with all money i spent on make up :-\

but ya i'll post up a pic later tonight.

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2009, 07:03:36 pm »
My friend's going to go to school to become a makeup artist, so she's big on makeup, and taught me how to do a lot of it. Boogiepop is right, moisturizing your face before putting on foundation is really good for your skin. You should also make sure that the moisturizer has sun screen in it, so your face won't burn.

The only character I can think of that I don't use eyeliner for is Light, and perhaps Soubi, especially around the eyes, because I've learned that if I put eyeliner on while crossplaying, it definitely makes me look more feminine then without it.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2009, 07:58:26 pm »
I love makeup. *o*

So many different shades and combination's. Eye liner is my favorite~

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 07:58:53 pm »
I can use practically no brand of lotion. XP Most lotions have lanoline (sp?) in it and I'm very allergic to that. But we did find Cetaphil (I hope I spelled that right ^.^;; ) so if you have sensitive skin it works pretty well.
I miss 2010.

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2009, 08:40:53 pm »

any ways heres before and after. big difference.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 04:07:12 am »
Not sure if this is covered by the existing video links, but a friend of mine shared this with me and I thought I pass it along to here.

Anime Eyes Tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nJXK5EJEQA
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 12:57:17 pm »
oh ya, not to mention darker shades of shadow can be used for contouring the nose, cheeks, jaw, and forhead. thought i would add that ^__^

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2009, 01:28:51 pm »
Not sure if this is covered by the existing video links, but a friend of mine shared this with me and I thought I pass it along to here.

Anime Eyes Tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nJXK5EJEQA

I did mention Michelle Phan earlier, but she is still a great source for make-up.  If you are looking for some great tutorials on applying make-up I suggest you look here:

Michelle Phan's Channel

I first discovered her when looking up anime eyes.  I was looking for videos on drawing them, and stumbled over her video on make-up.  Definitely worth looking into.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline animeotakujoanne

• Sailor Scout
    • Joanne K. Cosplay
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 02:23:52 pm »
What would you recommend for covering up scars? (Not necessarily on the face)
*sorry if this is in the wrong topic, didnt know where else to go XD*
Kumoricon 2013!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 02:28:26 pm »
for scars?

I recmoned you start with a cover up, which should help fade it.

then some foundation, liquid kind, over it which should make it fade some more. then lock it in with some powder foundation. I'm not to good with scars but maybe this video will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmkRR9WlFKs&feature=channel_page

Offline Kagome219

• Bunnygirl
    • Bloggin' lolol~
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 02:38:40 pm »
Wow, all of this really helps. : D  I only started wearing make-up this year, but I can already tell a difference.
As far as brands, the only kind I use is Wet and Wild because I'm starting to become a freak about chemicals. >>;;  It's really cheap, but does the trick for me. My eyeliner is only 99 cents! I've read over the ingredients in it and the only difference is that they use a nature-based product that is actually HEALTHIER for the skin as oppsed to some other, more expensive brands that use chemicals.
K-con '11 Cosplays:
NO, Thank You!!Mio (K-ON!!) - 100%
Haruhi Suzumiya (TMoHS) - 100%
Sollux (Homestuck) - 100%
Crystal (Pokemon Crystal Version) - 100%
Don't say "lazy"!Mio (K-ON!) - 100%
Alice (Pandora Hearts) - 100%
Haruhi Fujioka (OHSHC) - 100%

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 06:01:53 pm »
I guess this would fall under makeup, but I need a way to cover up a large birthmark on my leg.

I have a pretty big, red birthmark on my left leg, from just below my knee to my ankle. Is there a special kind of makeup or foundation or whatever to cover it up?
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2009, 08:48:57 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmkRR9WlFKs&feature=channel_page

try that. General its cover up + foundation liquid + powder foundation

you just gotta put on a bit more than most people.