Author Topic: Love Craft fans?  (Read 1409 times)

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
Love Craft fans?
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:21:40 pm »

Such late notice, I know.

Im looking to get some people together for a giant-face killing game of Arkham Horror, a game in the series "Call of Cthulu" based on the world of HP Lovecraft.

Its pretty complex and the game itself has a sentient 'Hate for the living' but that only makes it more fun.

As a side note; I will be cosplaying from the Game Shadow Hearts, an RPG based on Lobe Crafts world. I  dont suppose nayon else will be joining me?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Love Craft fans?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 09:29:22 pm »
Well, I can't say I know anything about Call of Cthulhu (I'm not much of a tabletop gamer...but I do like Cthulhu Munchkin), but I am a huge H.P. Lovecraft fan. Love all the literature, the Cthulhu Mythos, the "hate for the living" as you put it. It's brilliant stuff.

Like I said, though, I don't know much about the games you mentioned, but it may be nice just to hang out during the Con. If you get a group together for this, I'd at least like to sit in and just watch the proceedings, so to speak.

Fhtagn!  ;D

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Triangle

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:33:08 am »
I'a!

Though I don't know how to play the game you're talking about, I am a bit of a fan of Shadow Hearts.

Who are you going to cosplay, if I may ask?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:26:57 am »
Honestly I haven't read any Lovecraft, but I feel as though I have, because:
(1) My ex (who got me involved in Tunac, which founded Kumoricon) was very into Call of Cthulu;
(2) A friend named his band Cthuluhoop;
(3) Another ex had me watch In the Mouth of Madness, which continues to warp my mind (and which I just successfully named as the source of Eve's quote in our Name That Movie Quote! thread);
(4) My aunt was the lead female role in a new, yet-to-be-released film based on Lovecraft's Hunter in the Dark. It's called Pickman's Muse. I befriended the director, and he gave me a copy of the DVD with carte blanche to engage public screenings. So I watched it (still ruminating over its clear philosophical implications) and forwarded it to Jaki. If she likes it, it's going to be screened at Kumoricon on Friday for those who have picked up their pre-reg badges and/or are staff/volunteers etc.! So, be sure to watch to see if that gets announced, and be there in full gory..er..glory..er..yah.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 01:33:39 pm »

1- Im cosplaying as Nicholai. ( But I dont have a mistletoe shank ;_; ) I hope to god at least a few people recognize me..

2- Its a fairly complex game but very easy to pick up. If you dont know how to play, please show up anyway. Then youll know how to play next year, and because yes, late-night/early evening 'chillixaing' is fun too.

3- I have yet to see 'In the mouth of Madness' but dammit Id love to. There is a band that writes songs based on Love Crafts stories. They did an album that was supposed to have been the OST for a movie but it was never made.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 03:23:47 pm »
There's a pretty massive H.P. Lovecraft (one word) following in the Portland area. You all should come on out to the H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival/CthulhuCon in October. It's at the Hollywood Theater and, yes, lots of horrific goodness, lol.

There's that band, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, that do a lot of Lovecraftian punk/rock. Pretty crazy.

Anyway, didn't mean to jack your thread. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 03:34:36 pm »
 Oh, I would love to go to that. except I live in Seattle. Itd make a great trip if I could get the time.

Its cool, I didnt know about this. Thanks.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 12:12:22 pm »
Eve--Can you hook me up w/anyone from the CthuluCon? I would love to get my aunt's film screened there.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 12:15:44 pm »
Sure. The website is here: http://www.hplfilmfestival.com/, and the guidelines for submissions are here: http://www.hplfilmfestival.com/submissions. There is also a contact page which would probably work just as well.

And sorry to derail your thread, ThiefKing. ^_^
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 12:16:23 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 12:49:49 pm »
Thanks. Ditto. Good luck!