Author Topic: How do i say this in japanese ???  (Read 2200 times)

Offline KiraTOD

• Cabbit
How do i say this in japanese ???
« on: August 31, 2009, 02:59:52 pm »
How would i go about saying this in japanese ? I want to say "Paws off(As in cat hands/feet)". one would guess that you would use feet due to cats walking on all four. But im not sure if it would be understood that way. I dont think there is a word for cat paws and i dont want to say hands when it might be better understood as feet or the other way around. The reason way im asking is because i want to make a shirt that has two cat paws on the upper part of the shirt, If you know what i mean. An i want to have japanese letters saying Paws off, refering to the two paw prints on the shirt. Can any one help ?

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
Re: How do i say this in japanese ???
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:37:32 pm »
I think 'paw' in Japanese is the same word as hand or foot (depending on what paw) so that kind of ruins the pun you're aiming for xP

That would be 手をどけろ(te wo dokero sono te wo dokero is the name of a manga though xD) 手をどけて (Te wo dokete) or 手どけてよ (Te Dokete yo)

Or you could use the english word 'paws' and make it ポーズをどけろ (Poozupaws wo dokero)

Of course, I've only taken Japanese for a little over a year, so I'm not completely sure xD
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 03:38:14 pm by Hazuza »

Offline KiraTOD

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 06:30:20 pm »
ya i have only taken a little over a year of japanese to, on top of the 10 years of raw and sub anime watching lol..... But you definatly helped me out THX  ;D

Offline KiraTOD

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:59:03 pm »
O hey i was wondering wouldn't it be better to go with パズどけてよ(PaZu DoKeTe Yo.) ? the sound comes acrossed better then poozu personally. What do you think ?

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 11:12:56 pm »
Oh, yeah, probably. Katakana's weird for me.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:42:51 pm »
kore!!! (little joke kore=this)

for paws I would suggest

pa-su
-=another a so
paasu

simular to party pa -ti =paa ti(chi)

I dont really see the need for a z the extra a gives the sound you want
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline KiraTOD

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 10:00:28 am »
True it probably would work better that way i guess lol. But im not sure about that other a i think the word comes acrossed just as well as PaSu. Plus im going for the least amount of symbols as possible ..... I wish they just had a word that ment cat paw ....

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 10:34:19 am »
(I'm writing this as I'm figuring it out)
This is one of those English idioms that might not have a direct ENG -> JPN transition.

ポーズ actually translates to "pause" as well as "pose" and "posture."  パース I'm not finding anything on my dictionary other than "pass" for pasu.

It looks like "paw" is the same as "hand" or "foot" so 手 or 足 for most animals.

I found an example that doesn't say the "Paws off!" but implies the same meaning: 手を触れるな
"Te wo fureruna." - "Don't touch!"
Please note that this is very informal.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:35:34 am by Negima »

Offline KiraTOD

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 12:58:54 pm »
Ya i fergot that pasu can also mean pass .... also i like the 手を触れるな(Te wo fureruna) you came up with i kind of wanted it to be sort of informal. But like i was saying earlyer im trying to get it as compressed as possible.  What do you think of パっどけてよ(pa(small tsu) doketeyo)? If not i think 手を触れるな(Te wo fureruna) will be the best bet.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 02:07:26 pm »

everything in katakana can mean somting else thats the thing with an alphabet based on sounds, may words sound the same but have differnt meanings
but
I found one place where what could be interpited at paw in katakana
Pakkun (パックン)

which would mean paw-kun  
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:09:34 pm by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids