Author Topic: Disney takes over Marvel.  (Read 4328 times)

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
Disney takes over Marvel.
« on: August 31, 2009, 04:26:20 pm »
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. I'm sure some of you know that it was just recently announced, that Disney bought out Marvel, and plans to lump the Superheroes in with Mickey and Goofy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090831/ap_on_bi_ge/us_disney_marvel_entertainment

I'm not really sure how to feel about this, as I appreciate both Disney and Marvel, but both for very different reasons. To me, it seems like it's a little extreme, and somewhat wrong in a sense.

I like Disney because it's what I grew up with, although as of late they've been lacking majorily with movies and shows. I like Marvel because I also grew up on watching Batman, and Spiderman, and have always appreciated the Superhero genre. But the two together? Not so much. =/

I just hope Disney doesn't somehow ruin the Superhero's, or start producing movies with Disney characters and Marvel characters in one. If they do, I hope they do it well.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
Re: Disney takes over Marvel.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:02:24 pm »
they might throw some marvel into kingdom hearts! 0.0 boy, that would be weird...

oslapedo

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 05:08:42 pm »
Nooo~

Disney. Marvel. Two things that should not mix.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 05:14:09 pm »
Some guy on BBC was talking about how it's beneficial for Disney and for Marvel a few minutes ago.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 05:23:42 pm »
Batman is DC, Sayda.

But still, Deadpool as a pretty pretty princess. Don't tell me you don't wanna see that.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 05:52:12 pm »
First they buy The Muppets from Jim Hensen and now this?
Not cool, disney. Not cool at all.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 05:55:04 pm »
Sounds like a monopoly, but in this case a monopoly of a market tjey actually didn't start up in (aka non-disney entertainment - entertainment in general). It's weird, but this was the way I felt when I first heard of KH, maybe they will act responsibly.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 05:57:18 pm »
the way I'm looking at it is that it might be like Kingdom Hearts. It might seem bad, but it could be a much better move than we think at this time, and it's probably just for movie purposes, I don't see them really doing anything to the comic books, unless they decide to do a cross over series.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 06:01:19 pm »
And let's not forget Disney is a whole lot more than Snow White and the Lion King (I love those Masterpiece films more than I can describe, just so you all know); Disney brought us Pirates of the Caribbean and the first two films from The Chronicles of Narnia. They are surely capable of separating themselves from their cartoon-laden legacy, and I think we all have a great chance of standing pleasantly surprised by what they turn out through this new acquisition.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 06:01:33 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 06:08:07 pm »
but let's face it, we all want to see deadpool talk to some disney characters, just because it will be really funny to see how that situation will unfold... Plus marvel now has the right to use disney characters and other disney things in their stuff as well, so we might see a comic dealing with disneyland or something like that, who knows, but I will have faith in this, because I always have faith that disney will do something good. Look at everything they've done, like Frollo for instance, that is to this day one of the worst villains I've ever seen out of an animated movie/series, but it came from disney...

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 06:10:50 pm »
Yup. Anyone who says Disney can't do dark just needs to watch that movie.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 06:12:03 pm »
In the case of Marvel+disney characters, I hope it doesn't happen. I was able to imagine the crossover in kingdom hearts but I can't really see Spiderman chilling with Mickey Mouse. something about that just seems a little too terrifying/hilarious.
Buuuuut, Eve does have a point.
I think that if they stay true to the Marvel characters it won't be too bad.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 06:14:06 pm »
Yeah, for sure. I definitely would not want to see a Marvel/Disney character crossover. That is a thought too weird to actually work. I think if Disney does some work through Marvel, sweet. But Disney+Marvel in KH fashion? No thanks.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline mangakaluna

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 07:02:50 pm »
Eh, I don't think much will change. Marvel's ownership has transferred hands before. Revlon (yes, THE hair product company) owned Marvel for a while.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 07:06:22 pm »
Really?  :o That certainly stands to soften whatever kind of a blow this may have been, lol

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 07:27:19 pm »
I only skimmed the article, but I highly doubt that Disney is suddenly going to be putting out crossover movies/tv shows. Superhero things are really popular right now, and, to be honest, making money is the point of a business.

A bunch of different companies already own movie and tv show rights to most Marvel stuff anyways, so I doubt Disney is going to be influencing a whole lot of Marvel's products.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 07:32:59 pm »
I meant X-men. ~ ~

I wouldn't mind seeing movies produced, as they have put out some good ones that strayed away from their TV Shows and cartoon movies, as well as Animated movies. But I do have to agree that the whole Kingdom Hearts thing is a little much. But who knows, maybe they'll surprise us and it won't be so bad. :D
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline Grenade Girl

• Cabbit
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 07:43:41 pm »
I'm not sure what to expect with this... but I'm a little concerned with how the Prince of Persia movie's going to turn out--which Disney is releasing.

Maybe I shouldn't base my expectations of what Disney's going to do with Marvel on that movie in particular but... Who knows.
:3 Shoop da woop!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 08:23:13 pm »
Eh, I don't think much will change. Marvel's ownership has transferred hands before. Revlon (yes, THE hair product company) owned Marvel for a while.

That explain's Storm's hair in the 80s.

I really think Disney is smart enough to keep their paws (literally, lol) off the Marvel Universe. This is a maneuver for distribution rights and an opportunity for Marvel to get their increasingly ambitious movie schedule on a path with less resistance. I doubt that any of the "eventual Avengers" films will have the castle in the opening credits. Disney owns enough other production companies to take care of that.

I just wonder if they are going to start having folks in costume as Marvel characters at their theme parks.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 08:37:33 pm »

That explain's Storm's hair in the 80s.

I really think Disney is smart enough to keep their paws (literally, lol) off the Marvel Universe. This is a maneuver for distribution rights and an opportunity for Marvel to get their increasingly ambitious movie schedule on a path with less resistance. I doubt that any of the "eventual Avengers" films will have the castle in the opening credits. Disney owns enough other production companies to take care of that.

I just wonder if they are going to start having folks in costume as Marvel characters at their theme parks.

I don't know, because I know Universal does have some rights to Marvel as well and does have quite a few attractions and characters at Universal Studios... Which brings in a question, will universal studios have to close down those attractions and remove those characters do to disney?

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 10:23:57 pm »
The only thing I'm under the impression of is that Disney is slowly taking over the world.
 It's all the conspiracy shows I watch.
Honestly though, just think of Pixar.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 12:29:55 am »
The only thing I'm under the impression of is that Disney is slowly taking over the world.
 It's all the conspiracy shows I watch.
Honestly though, just think of Pixar.
i'm pretty sure in the future its gonna be Disney, McDonalds, and Walmart that rule the world.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 12:36:30 am »
I don't know, because I know Universal does have some rights to Marvel as well and does have quite a few attractions and characters at Universal Studios... Which brings in a question, will universal studios have to close down those attractions and remove those characters do to disney?

Very unlikely. A theme park operator would be very unlikely to sign a contract that could be revoked at will by the license holder like that, or their entire investment in the ride would be at risk.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 12:41:48 am »
Almost nothing will change.
Just any new TV shows/Movies/Cartoon will be distributed through Disney. And we might see a Marvel/Pixar team up for a few projects.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 03:00:16 am »
I've talked with a few people about this.  One of them joked that new Marvel movies will now include at least one song and dance scene.  Imagine "It's not easy being green," sung by the Hulk.

And then this also caught my eye: http://www.virginmedia.com/movies/movieextras/top10s/worst-movie-tattoos.php?ssid=1

In all seriousness, I doubt Disney will really change anything with Marvel.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 11:01:07 am »
that's true, the reason disney did this is because in the end, it's business to them, and they are trying to make as much money as humanly possible, even tho they make about 70 billion a year in sales alone (I might be off a little bit, but I know their in the billions when it comes to profits) but in the end, I'm actually glad disney obtained marvel over someone else, because they have been a company my family and I have always trusted to do well, and everything they seem to make normally does well, except for a few movies and sequels, but if you look at what they show on Disney Channel, even a lot of the older generation doesn't like the stuff, a lot of the kids do. So I think they did this to get more of the older generation back to Disney, but that's just me.