Author Topic: Flirting at Cons... Inapproriate or AWESOME? 8D  (Read 94218 times)

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
Re: Flirting at Cons... Inapproriate or AWESOME? 8D
« Reply #550 on: February 28, 2010, 08:07:19 pm »
Would asking people for hugs count as flirting?
That happens to me way to much.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #551 on: March 01, 2010, 10:45:47 am »
I personally feel that flirting is fine as long as it's light hearted...now if you know someone really well & they don't mind it being a little more serious then that is ok as long as its not inappropriate in public. I often flirt with my friends that are female because that is just how I am...it does not mean that I am trying to hook up with them in any way. Flirting is a great accessory to conversing with the opposite sex IMO...as long as you don't cross that line into "hitting on" them.

Would asking people for hugs count as flirting?
That happens to me way to much.
Very situational on that one...hugs can mean so many things depending on the person(s) & reason for the hug. Just a random hug because someone loves your cosplay isn't flirting...a random hug because someone finds you cute/attractive is flirting. Sometimes it can be hard to distinguish at con since there are so many different people & you don't know them all.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #552 on: March 01, 2010, 12:17:11 pm »
I probably flirt more with guys (jokingly) than I do with girls.  And that's usually just to creep them out or create an awkward moment.  (I'm not gay or bisexual, just like to joke around.)  If I do flirt with a girl, it's just playful, lightheartedness with no intention of it going anywhere.  I go to an anime convention to hang out with other people that like anime and check out what's up, not to hook up with people.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:18:15 pm by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #553 on: March 01, 2010, 12:23:28 pm »
xD i totaly flirt with most of the friends i make at con... like scar... xD i flirted with her way too much at kumori 09... but now were good buddyies. basicly if i "flirt" with someone at a con i feel comforable around them xD nothing more then that
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #554 on: March 01, 2010, 01:44:43 pm »
It can also be a great ice-breaker for making new friends :D

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #555 on: March 01, 2010, 04:32:32 pm »
That just reminded me of a really bad pick up line...
How much does a polar bear weigh? Enough to break the ice
Sorry for off topic-ness...

I am also one of the most fail people at flirting almost ever xD
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #556 on: March 01, 2010, 04:37:28 pm »
if your going to flirt keep it at your age level because some one i know at mew was flirting with a 19 year old and she was 14 and its the same the other way guys need to flirt with girls there age

also its easy to tell if someone is not into you so if that person is not into you dont keep flirting just lut it go

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #557 on: March 01, 2010, 04:56:20 pm »
I haven't really ever seen any fliritng at cons! x33
I think it would be cool to have a boyfriend that was into cosplaying! *O*

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #558 on: March 01, 2010, 06:31:48 pm »
That sounds like fun~
I'm pretty content with my cosplaying girlfriend though >///<
It is going to be...

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #559 on: March 01, 2010, 07:04:25 pm »

<.< then havent hung out with me xD

and it is pretty fun to have a BF whos into cosplaying... but it sucks when they hate having thier photo taken xD
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #560 on: March 01, 2010, 08:44:09 pm »
flirsting at cons is much harder as a staffer LOL.

simple rules apply. check the badge color, determine safety, listen for conversaitons and find an in. then TRY (and most likely fail) not to make a fool of yourself
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #561 on: March 01, 2010, 08:45:41 pm »
Lies.
Making a fool of yourself is the point of cons.
It is going to be...

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #562 on: March 01, 2010, 08:46:13 pm »

<.< then havent hung out with me xD

and it is pretty fun to have a BF whos into cosplaying... but it sucks when they hate having thier photo taken xD

Not saying that I'm making a move, but that wouldn't be an issue for me.  ;D
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #563 on: March 04, 2010, 03:28:21 pm »
some people are doing this just for fun but others aren't. I got asked out during the con by someone who pretty much just introduced himself and I was disgusted with it.

That has got to suck. I am sorry I just flirt because that is who I am. Ask any of my friends and they will say that is how i act.
but to hook up at a con seems a little desparrate. not saying that it could happen.
oh and who was it this year who proposed in closing cerimonies??? i just heard about it and thought that was kinda cool
That is exactly the reason why I'm pondering hard about going to Sakuracon or not. I ask myself why I want to go and what I'm going for. I answered that I was going to enjoy the panels, going to cosplay the characters I love in front of the many others doing the same, and taking home some memorabilia. My secret mission was to appear as I did last year and be a good match for someone through costume as well as personality.
Last year I came as Inuyasha and met a girl dressed as Kikyo, so I bought the right thing at the dealer's hall and things sparked, then expanded as we got to know each other. Such a luck this year seems so far-fetched, and with the expensiveness of hotel, registration, food, and dealer's goods in the three short days, I hate to say it but it doesn't sound like I'm meant to go this time.

I'm not saying that I'm not planning on going because of my luck with females. It's simply a matter of cost and half-empty reasons for going. The friends I make up there, unless they live down here, and even if I get their phone number or e-mail, will be left up there when I return home and not heard from again until next year at the latest. The things I buy up there will rarely be seen again by the outside world. But then, the costumes I would wear. Would I cosplay to try and look attractive or would I just be picture worthy?

I know no one's going to take the time to read all this, so long story short, my reasons for going to a convention have been corrupted, and I've lost the drive to experience the joys of it that seem so temporary.
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #564 on: March 04, 2010, 06:16:40 pm »
some people are doing this just for fun but others aren't. I got asked out during the con by someone who pretty much just introduced himself and I was disgusted with it.

That has got to suck. I am sorry I just flirt because that is who I am. Ask any of my friends and they will say that is how i act.
but to hook up at a con seems a little desparrate. not saying that it could happen.
oh and who was it this year who proposed in closing cerimonies??? i just heard about it and thought that was kinda cool
That is exactly the reason why I'm pondering hard about going to Sakuracon or not. I ask myself why I want to go and what I'm going for. I answered that I was going to enjoy the panels, going to cosplay the characters I love in front of the many others doing the same, and taking home some memorabilia. My secret mission was to appear as I did last year and be a good match for someone through costume as well as personality.
Last year I came as Inuyasha and met a girl dressed as Kikyo, so I bought the right thing at the dealer's hall and things sparked, then expanded as we got to know each other. Such a luck this year seems so far-fetched, and with the expensiveness of hotel, registration, food, and dealer's goods in the three short days, I hate to say it but it doesn't sound like I'm meant to go this time.

I'm not saying that I'm not planning on going because of my luck with females. It's simply a matter of cost and half-empty reasons for going. The friends I make up there, unless they live down here, and even if I get their phone number or e-mail, will be left up there when I return home and not heard from again until next year at the latest. The things I buy up there will rarely be seen again by the outside world. But then, the costumes I would wear. Would I cosplay to try and look attractive or would I just be picture worthy?

I know no one's going to take the time to read all this, so long story short, my reasons for going to a convention have been corrupted, and I've lost the drive to experience the joys of it that seem so temporary.
I am in love with that beautiful city known as Seattle...so I find so much to do with so little time up there myself. If you haven't taken the time to venture away from con space up there, I would say give it a try...you are bound to find some awsomeness that you didn't know was there. Don't avoid con completely of course...there is always a chance to make friends still.

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #565 on: March 04, 2010, 07:56:18 pm »
Lots of text, to lazy to read.
Anyway, I crossplay (as you can see in my icon) so if a guy were to flirt with me while I was crossplaying, should I assume he may be gay? 'o'

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #566 on: March 05, 2010, 02:27:02 am »

I am in love with that beautiful city known as Seattle...so I find so much to do with so little time up there myself. If you haven't taken the time to venture away from con space up there, I would say give it a try...you are bound to find some awsomeness that you didn't know was there. Don't avoid con completely of course...there is always a chance to make friends still.
Actually my other reason was to use the money instead to purchase a long awaited x box 360 which can last longer, and tie me down as I build up for Kumoricon, the convention I feel literally is closer to home.

But as far as flirting in general goes, since that's the topic, I'm usually abstinent from it since I don't know what could work. And for me, what I don't know could hurt others. Plus when I do try I feel like shooting myself in the foot afterward, even if whoever heard it didn't take offense to it. Maybe I do criticize and doubt myself way too much, but it's better than risking and either getting a laugh or a slap in the face, being the slap that I fear. But then again, who isn't afraid of failing?

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #567 on: March 05, 2010, 09:01:00 am »
I don't know...my personal feelings are different than a lot of peoples. I don't flirt because I am trying to pick up on somebody, I do it light-heartedly & it just comes natural with my personality. It's an essential part of making conversation & meeting new friends a lot of the time. I have been with my G/F for 8 years & have no plans to ever be with anyone other than her. Even so, we both flirt as part of our normal conversation style. I see no harm in it like that.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #568 on: March 05, 2010, 12:44:21 pm »
Flirting as a staffer is easier....
"Hey there, you wanna ditch this crowd and use the service elevator?"

They don't even know it's a pick up line until its too late.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #569 on: March 05, 2010, 01:36:37 pm »
Now see? It's daring aces like Tom that have no problem flexing their mental muscles and risk being shot down, but with a lower risk.

I guess I'm just afraid to fly and push my limits.
Oh actually, I remember why I don't flirt so much, it gets me nowhere.
Yeah sure, I succeed at a chuckle or two sometimes. But if I really wanted to try, and use it to win someone over, there's no confidence that it would work.

I never tried at K con since I was too busy pulling a heavy skit.
And at MEWcon I tried, but lost nearly every friend I had afterward, or so I'm fearing.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #570 on: March 05, 2010, 06:19:39 pm »
I've had funny experiences at being hit on at cons. Most of them happen at the dances where, surprise, my friends and I aren't in crossplay 9__9

So, I have two friends who are about the same height. We were dancing in a cricle when suddenly this guy comes up in between them and says, "Mind if I join in? I've never danced with twins before! 8D"

Then there was the time where another friend of mine was heavily flirting with a cute guy until he told her that he wanted to live in Japan, open up a restaurant, and become a lawyer. Oh yeah, and a few other things that made it very hard to believe him. Basically he wanted to get her, me, and a few other girls up to his hotel room to get us drunk for his roomies. She made up an excuse to leave but he kept following her as she was walking out so I pushed ahead of him and glared him down until he disappeared.

Then there's the time at last year's Sakuracon that this guy kept wanting to dance with me but I had to keep turning him down. I felt bad because he wasn't a bad guy, I just y'know, wanted to dance with my friends. He wouldn't back away so I finally had to lose him in the crowd. That's how I met some new con friends though :>

Funny how all of my stories come from the dances. Pfft.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #571 on: March 08, 2010, 09:25:04 am »
I've had funny experiences at being hit on at cons. Most of them happen at the dances where, surprise, my friends and I aren't in crossplay 9__9

So, I have two friends who are about the same height. We were dancing in a cricle when suddenly this guy comes up in between them and says, "Mind if I join in? I've never danced with twins before! 8D"

Then there was the time where another friend of mine was heavily flirting with a cute guy until he told her that he wanted to live in Japan, open up a restaurant, and become a lawyer. Oh yeah, and a few other things that made it very hard to believe him. Basically he wanted to get her, me, and a few other girls up to his hotel room to get us drunk for his roomies. She made up an excuse to leave but he kept following her as she was walking out so I pushed ahead of him and glared him down until he disappeared.

Then there's the time at last year's Sakuracon that this guy kept wanting to dance with me but I had to keep turning him down. I felt bad because he wasn't a bad guy, I just y'know, wanted to dance with my friends. He wouldn't back away so I finally had to lose him in the crowd. That's how I met some new con friends though :>

Funny how all of my stories come from the dances. Pfft.
Oh the crazy times I have had at con dances/raves  :o

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #572 on: March 08, 2010, 10:08:58 am »
lol, flirting at cons are iffy. Though it is totally awesome when you meet a really cool cosplay guy and end up hanging out through most of the weekend with them when your cosplay groups don't have you on a leash (for me in my experience that is very literal) <.<  >.>
But idk running around flirting everywhere is lame but if somebody is single, cute, and into you then why the heck not xD Plus its really fun!

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #573 on: March 08, 2010, 08:30:25 pm »
lol, flirting at cons are iffy. Though it is totally awesome when you meet a really cool cosplay guy and end up hanging out through most of the weekend with them when your cosplay groups don't have you on a leash (for me in my experience that is very literal) <.<  >.>
But idk running around flirting everywhere is lame but if somebody is single, cute, and into you then why the heck not xD Plus its really fun!

If only for the three days, or less if you discover them later. For me it was two days then three months afterward. But when you're from Oregon trying to pick up and then maintain a match that lives up near Seattle, and you have no wheels to traverse the 4 hours and back every time, no surprise that it's bound to fall apart eventually. Speaking for myself of course.

Now here's a twist on the big question.
Does NOT flirting at cons mean you're anti-social, or does it just mean that you're shy and haven't had the courage to open up and throw out a random flirt, or does it simply mean that it's not one of the things you come to con to do? For those who know the Naruto series, imagine Hinata at a convention. Then for those who can flirt away, imagine Rock Lee. Personally speaking, I might just attend some cosplay event or con as Rock Lee or Guy-sensei as a way to pry my social side open and hold it open. Whatever works for someone I guess.

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #574 on: March 08, 2010, 08:35:56 pm »
It really does help to have a flirtatious character Jason so that would probably work for you, though I'm not digging the visual images of you in green spandex o.0

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #575 on: March 08, 2010, 08:42:37 pm »
It really does help to have a flirtatious character Jason so that would probably work for you, though I'm not digging the visual images of you in green spandex o.0
I'm aware of what you mean, especially right now>_<. Well the best way to solve that is by taking impossible bets and doing single exercises an outrageous number of times until I'm sleek and slim enough to fit the part. The best way to be Guy or Lee, is to do like Guy and Lee.  ;D *thumbs up*
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:43:43 pm by TurboSaiyanJason »

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #576 on: March 08, 2010, 08:50:11 pm »
lol look at the monster this thread is creating now he will walk around with a giant back drop of an ocean scene and yell a lot D: OH THE HORROR!

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #577 on: March 08, 2010, 09:01:28 pm »
Well whoever can power up the biggest. Not so much power though, since I don't plan to yell for 5 minutes spanning three episodes.  I'll do that when I'm Goku though.

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #578 on: March 08, 2010, 09:05:30 pm »
lol, -just about killed a person who tried to compare DBZ to InuYasha-
I personally will never get into DBZ, four episodes of AAAAAAH CAMAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAAMAAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAAA" Just doesn't do it for me

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #579 on: March 08, 2010, 09:51:24 pm »
Oh no. That's nothing, compared to an entire saga covering the events of the world tournament that happen in a single day. Then the Majin Buu saga begins.
I still love DB/Z/GT despite the unnecessary filler episodes that they threw around.

But I also favor Inuyasha. Both of which some say dragged on too long.

And before we get caught, yes, Rock Lee will be my engine of pretty words and epic wonder, though I also have Tuxedo Mask to fall back on.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:53:50 pm by TurboSaiyanJason »

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #580 on: March 08, 2010, 09:52:42 pm »
I love that they're making the anime again, its like omfg happy dance time
lol, I finished the manga, its a great story you just need to be pacient but I feel like its all moving so fast in the new episodes!

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #581 on: March 08, 2010, 09:54:32 pm »
I love that they're making the anime again, its like omfg happy dance time
lol, I finished the manga, its a great story you just need to be pacient but I feel like its all moving so fast in the new episodes!
Wait, are we talking about Dragon Ball Kai, the remake of DB?
Or the return of Inuyasha?

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #582 on: March 08, 2010, 09:56:44 pm »
Return of InuYasha, keep in mind I hate DBZ :P

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #583 on: March 08, 2010, 11:00:07 pm »
When is Inu coming back? I want to happy dances too.
And what book number do they end the manga on?

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #584 on: March 08, 2010, 11:04:30 pm »
InuYasha IS back lol just not dubbed yet, go to Hulu and look up Inuyasha: The Final Act

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #585 on: March 09, 2010, 10:30:28 am »

... Thank goodness you didn't use that on me, Tom!

(I'm not sure, but I think someone used this as their avatar, oh well).

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #586 on: March 09, 2010, 01:30:52 pm »

... Thank goodness you didn't use that on me, Tom!

But you were so cute in your bunny outfit.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #587 on: March 09, 2010, 01:31:40 pm »
Aw... thanks, Reppy.

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #588 on: March 10, 2010, 12:28:06 am »
Flirting is a weapon best used at the right moments. That's how I use it. I lurk among the crowd and suddenly strike like lightning with ninja quickness and fiery charm and wit. Sometimes it doesn't work and I feel a small stab in my heart, but the wound eventually scars up and I carry on.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 02:09:04 am by TurboSaiyanJason »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #589 on: March 24, 2010, 01:06:11 am »
I just thought of something.  I've been told that I tend to be flirty when I don't even try to be.  Whenever I do try, I feel so awkward about it, like I'm going to say something weird that she'll take as an insult or a joke, or something.  (Of course if I'm doing it in jest then I don't care).

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #590 on: March 24, 2010, 08:27:10 am »
The best kind of flirting is the kind that comes naturally without putting extra effort into it...otherwise it is almost always awkward. One of the only times it works is when both people are equally interested in each other.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:12:50 pm by Cyprus »

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #591 on: March 24, 2010, 11:28:23 am »
^ Agreed xD
If you force yourself to flirt, it's just awkward and uncomfortable. It makes you feel like you're hitting on someone, and that's taking it a step too far~
It is going to be...

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #592 on: March 24, 2010, 12:17:51 pm »
I'm completely oblivious to flirting.  I just assume people just want to be my friend and nothing more. ^_^