Author Topic: Should I come?  (Read 3834 times)

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
Should I come?
« on: September 03, 2009, 03:20:19 pm »
So, I'm not that into anime. I've been reading some anime magazines lately (Otaku USA, Neo, and I read PIQ the few months it existed), and it's an interesting thing to read about. But as to reading manga or watching anime, I'm really not into it. I'm not into Cosplay either, and I don't have any cat girl fetishes or anything, although I'm sure there will be some very pretty ladies dressed up.

However, I'm a pretty big nerd. I like Magic, Star Wars, videogames, etc.

I'm highly tempted to come, since I live in Portland, at least for the dealer tables. I like random little Japanese toys and figures and the like, so I could pick up some stuff and be happy. However, I don't know if spending 30 bucks to come in (or 45) to then spend more money and buy stuff is worth it.

So, my question to you all-Should I come? I looked at the event schedule, and there were a few things to do (card tournaments, videogame tournaments...although I don't know WHEN these would be). Would I be bored after wandering around after 2 hours and want to leave? That's my main worry.

Are there new videogames being demoed or new games being demoed or anything like at other conventions? Would I see too many cosplayers and be overwhelmed? Ahh!

I heard there would be swag bags, that tempts me to go.  Are there a lot of other giveaways or what not?

I'm not trying to be rude at all in this post, I'm just highly tempted to go, but it's a lot of money for something I find kind of neat, but I'm not that into.

Thanks!

Offline wolfy2491

• Chibi
    • My facebook~
Re: Should I come?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 03:32:46 pm »
I think it'd be totally worth it. Because for me, the experience is SO cool. Because liking "geeky stuff" normally gets you made fun of, and here you can be as loud and geeky as you want and totally be accepted. lol. And there's tons of things to do there. Such as cosplay chess, and games, and karaoke, and all sorts of great stuff!!!!

I'd totally go if I was you. You never know, you might find something that'll get ya hooked! lol.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 03:33:47 pm »
There also is the option of coming only a day or two. Then you don't have to pay full price to possibly only hang out for one day. :3 If you want figurines and things like that then coming a day might be fun, and then you could also participate in cool events.

Also there isn't always just anime/manga cosplayers. I've seen movie characters and of course tons of games. And even some random tv show characters as well. So you might see someone in a costume you love.

And that's a yes on the swag bags. ;3
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 03:40:24 pm »
Even though you're not into anime, manga, or cosplay, a lot of people at the con will have many similar nerdy interests. Like tofutakeout said, people don't only cosplay characters from anime, but from other media as well. There's a whole section of the con for gaming, so if you hang out there I'd imagine you'd be pretty happy and quite possibly make some new friends if you're social enough. :) The whole atmosphere of the con is pretty cool, so it's a worthwhile experience to go at least once.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 03:43:06 pm »
Well, you could try checking out the schedule and find out when your favorite events are. Then you could just attend for those :P There are many gaming events, showings, etc that might be interesting. I think the gaming room is open all day... We don't really have any super-new demos like larger cons, but we do have some new games.
And if you ever get bored or there's a long time in-between events, there are a lot of places near the con that you could wander off to for a few hours.
Like Tofu said, you could probably just get a one-day badge to check out everything. Don't hesitate to try to meet and talk to some people, too! There are a lot of people that attend for just the gaming events, and you should be able to find people that share your interests : P

Wow, sorry this post is terribly... unorganized. I'm really out of it right now *_*

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 03:53:05 pm »
So, I'm not that into anime. I've been reading some anime magazines lately (Otaku USA, Neo, and I read PIQ the few months it existed), and it's an interesting thing to read about. But as to reading manga or watching anime, I'm really not into it. I'm not into Cosplay either, and I don't have any cat girl fetishes or anything, although I'm sure there will be some very pretty ladies dressed up.

However, I'm a pretty big nerd. I like Magic, Star Wars, videogames, etc.

I'm highly tempted to come, since I live in Portland, at least for the dealer tables. I like random little Japanese toys and figures and the like, so I could pick up some stuff and be happy. However, I don't know if spending 30 bucks to come in (or 45) to then spend more money and buy stuff is worth it.

So, my question to you all-Should I come? I looked at the event schedule, and there were a few things to do (card tournaments, videogame tournaments...although I don't know WHEN these would be). Would I be bored after wandering around after 2 hours and want to leave? That's my main worry.

Are there new videogames being demoed or new games being demoed or anything like at other conventions? Would I see too many cosplayers and be overwhelmed? Ahh!

I heard there would be swag bags, that tempts me to go.  Are there a lot of other giveaways or what not?

I'm not trying to be rude at all in this post, I'm just highly tempted to go, but it's a lot of money for something I find kind of neat, but I'm not that into.

Thanks!

I say go. I'm on the exec board for Sakura-Con, I got into the convention running DDR tournies (god has it been that long) 6 years ago, went from that to running Gaming, and then where I am now as Programming Director. I've never been hugely into anime, but I've made countless friends and had so much fun at cons that I have always said it's worth going to.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline wolfy2491

• Chibi
    • My facebook~
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 03:55:33 pm »
Yeah, it's way so totally amazingly worth it. You make lots of friends. lol.

I remember my first year waiting in line for something and me and these like...five people just started babbling about something random and stuff. lol. Its awesome. ;D

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 04:39:44 pm »
Ok, thanks everyone for your responses.

I hope more people chime in, I'm curious to see what other people have to say, and if anybody actually says "No, you probably wouldn't want to come"...heh.

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 05:03:09 pm »
Go make friends lolx It'll be splendid~ =3
I like goats.

Offline Agent47

• Chibi
    • MySpace
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 05:04:47 pm »
All above reasons.

Plus.. there's gonna be atleast 1 gaming room, probably multiple.. and atleast one of them is open 22 hours of the day. There is only a 2 hour window when it's not open. XD
Who wants a hug from the Hitman/Generic Turk/Vergil?

oslapedo

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 05:08:40 pm »
Make a friend go with you, buddies make the experience even better b

Offline wolfy2491

• Chibi
    • My facebook~
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 05:09:17 pm »
Friends are amazing. lol.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 05:22:46 pm »
My Bf goes to game it up the entire time and he's been going since '07.
I definitely think that it wouldn't hurt. Who knows? You might want to come back next year and I can guarantee you that not everyone there is a huge anime fan. I know of a few people, myself.
It's all about nerdin' it up with everyone.
But if you're worried about an overwhelming amount of cosplayers... there will be. There always is. lol.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 05:41:29 pm »
*ehem... I don't have any cat-girl fetishes either. LOL. Yup, there will be many cosplayers and you might feel a little overwhelmed for a brief period, but I think you will enjoy the experience. Bring a camera if you attend! Perhaps you will be amazed @ some of our wonderful cosplayers! And not all cosplays are from anime/manga...

Magic- Well, there is tabletop gaming, but I'm not sure if Magic is one of the CG's. And I sure love the gaming room--there are fun tournaments and this year, gaming will run for 22 hours! Sweet~

There are lots of things to look at and perhaps purchase @ the exhibitor's hall. Many vendors will be there and who knows what one may find!

Do check out the schedule. ~

It is a great experience. I've been going to K-con with my brother since '06. We did not cosplay that first year, but enjoyed our time visiting panels, watching skits, buying merchandise, and video gaming for the majority of the time~ ^_^ We took many pictures of cosplayers too!
And so it begins...

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 06:16:05 pm »
I'd say even if you went just to spend the entire time between the dealers hall and game room(s), it'd be worth it. I know quite a few people who do exactly that.

Plus if you saw anything else that caught your eye you can always check that out too.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 06:20:01 pm »
I would say go. I wasn't that into all of it either but after going to kcon 07 I feel in love. There is so much to do that I doubt you would ever be bored and you may find a new hobby.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 07:29:24 pm »
You ought to come, if only for one day. It's only a once-a-year kind of thing, after all, and if you live in town then why not go for it? To quote Ms. Frizzle on the subject, "Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!"

Just come for one day. You might just like it.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 10:10:59 pm »
The fact that you are analyzing it this closely proves you're interested. Yes, of course, go!

For those who have not been to an anime con, especially one of our size with 6 floors of events, it is difficult to imagine just how much there is to do at any moment.

Look at it this way: If you go, the worst that happens, you are bored and waste a few hours, and the reg money. (That won't happen. ;)) No big deal.

If you don't go, the best that happens: You have one more day of the year to do whatever you want. But the worst? You realize you missed out on an awesome once-a-year event that thousands of fans look forward to the whole year, where people discover new shows, games, activities, and friends.

You will not regret going, but you could very easily regret not going.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 01:00:29 am »
Not a huge anime fan either, but I do love video games and getting the chance to wear cute clothes (though I don't think that's what's getting you).  Anyway, for you, the dealers hall, gaming rooms, and interacting with people are probably what'll make it worth it.  I'd say go for one day and get the cheaper price, and enjoy your time.  Saturday and Sunday are your better bets, of course. 

There are some obnoxious fans you'll want to avoid (don't go near any of the parks around the hotel if civilized behavior is something you're a fan of) and...well... That's really the only thing I don't like about Kumoricon (that, and that it makes me feel really geeky when I say I attended it).  But generally, the people are nice, most are mature (well, like, the half that are mature are really mature...), it's easy to make friends with people because 100% of the people are in a friendly mood (it's honestly very difficult to be extremely upset at Kcon!)...

There's nothing like revealing up-and-coming games as far as I know, though my time in the gaming room is unfortunately limited.

dealer's hall is awesome, though. 

I say give it a try, especially if just for a day. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 03:04:57 pm »
Alright, I plan on coming down Sunday. I'm hoping the line isn't too long, I'll probably show around noonish (give or take an hour). So we'll see. 30 bucks is an awful lot to just hang out for a few hours, but hopefully I'll have fun anyway.

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 10:32:54 pm »
If by Magic meaning Card Game, there is a tournament Saturday 11pm and Sunday @ midnight for those 21 and older as I just noticed in the schedule~ There are other Magic Tourneys that don't have an age restriction @ other times too, so check out the schedulel!

I hope you enjoy your time @ K-con! ^_^
And so it begins...

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 06:37:53 pm »
Just wanted to let everyone know I DID come by on Sunday with one of my friends.

It was fun. It was pretty crowded, and hot, and the video game room was closed the majority of the time when I was there, and of course when I went down there, nothing was open to play.

The dealer's room was AWESOME though. I got a few things that I'm quite happy I was able to pick up.

I also ran into a few people I know, so I had some fun.

There wasn't a ton of stuff for me to actually DO though, but I knew that going in. Still, I don't regret going for one day, not at all.