Author Topic: Not very friendly Hotel Staff  (Read 11299 times)

Offline Hige

• Sailor Scout
Not very friendly Hotel Staff
« on: September 07, 2009, 03:22:48 pm »
First Of all I didn't have an trouble With the Kumoricon staff only one staff member actually made me so mad I almost socked him for pushing me on the escalator yelling in my ear and then Almost breaking my Ankle after forcefully pushing on the escalator. I was crying when I finally got up to the main floor My Ankle had been twisted and I ended up leaving the con and not coming back.
  and the other staff could have helped instead of watching me in pain and tears collapse to the ground because my ankle was soo messed up.

But then again this Hotel is soo inclosed makes you feel almost like being buried in a coffin alive, everyone was in a bad mood because of how inclosed everything was and accesing the floors was almost impossible This Location was a very Bad bad Choice and I know alot of people agree with me.

The Hotel staff was Rude and treated us as though we were animals, herding us around, half the time they didn't even know what was going on and we were late for panels or missed them entirely because they told us floors were closed off or they were told we weren't allowed to have access to them
 The right hand had no idea what the left hand was doing!

They wanted to make me wait outside in the rain for my minor that was in the bathroom, there was no way the minor would know where I was thus getting lost and panicked.

There was no room period, the bathrooms were too small and holding the dealers room in the basement parking lot was a nightmare, no one wanted to go down there because it was too damn hot and walking up and down the ramp practically killed the desire to go buy things.

Over all I enjoyed the con staff I had no trouble from them what so ever except the one
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 03:33:31 pm by Hige »
ひげ 馬
Cosplays 2010
Pirate France
Young Russia
Belarus
Canada
Possibly-Oz or Hungry
America depends on Jacket

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
Re: Not very friendly Hotel Staff
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 04:44:36 pm »
ya, I did notice that a lot with the staff... which I do think it's do to multiple things, but you are right, the staff did tend to be much more forceful than I would have liked.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 05:28:58 pm »
If you ever have problems that bad with a staff member, con or hotel, try to remember their name from their badge and file a harassment/assault complaint. I'm pretty sure you could sue someone over that.

Offline Hige

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 05:55:56 pm »
If you ever have problems that bad with a staff member, con or hotel, try to remember their name from their badge and file a harassment/assault complaint. I'm pretty sure you could sue someone over that.
I never got to catch the guy, I was in soo much pain All I thought About was sitting down, just in case I really did break my ankle, Two friends tried to chase the guy down but getting around through everyone was pointless. Its not really my Ankle Im worried about at the Time It was My knee I could care less about my Ankle My Knee hit the sharp edge of the Escalator stairs, I had a knee injury when I was in middle school, a very bad one I thought for sure My knee cap had been popped off.
  But yeah it was too hard to get the guy even after I fell he still pushed me up the escalator for holding the crowd up, So I did my best to get out of the way, then the guy dissapeared, I was wearing Heels and I tell you My feet could not move anymore after that, I was done for the rest of the con
ひげ 馬
Cosplays 2010
Pirate France
Young Russia
Belarus
Canada
Possibly-Oz or Hungry
America depends on Jacket

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:28:48 pm »
blarg. I didnt talk to the staff really. But I remember trying to ask them questions and they werent answering me and my friends. like "why they closed off the area"

there was one lady who actually answered us where the venders were. and when one of my friends was in the bath room. I stayed on the wall right by the bathroom. not in anybodies way. and a guy come and told us to move.  I asked why  and he ignored it I asked a third time and he said "We have to keep this area cleared" BUT NOBODY WAS THERE BUT ME AND THE 2 OTHERS IN MY GROUP D<...
we told him that we were waiting for our friend in the bathroom. and he said "just stay at the corner, dont leave your friends" so I guess that was nice.

also some of them gave confusing directions about Lost and found. She told us to wait for sercurity and we waited for like 5 minutes and all he did was tell us what the lady could of told us. I didnt like her. she was the lady who was in the pool area that said "quiet zone" : <

Other than that really I did bother with the Hotel staff. I stayed in the Venders area the most.... but really what was the point in closing off that one area that leads to the Lobby bathroom. ': <

I mean I understood why they said keep to the wall and stuff.

since I didnt talk to them really. (I only asked questions to the Kumoricon staff and other attendees)  What sorta things were they saying D:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:37:22 pm by kit2kit »
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 09:41:13 pm »
One of the security staff was taunting me, making me ask to go to the bathroom like a grade schooler. Made me ask again and say please.

Very unprofessional. I ain't five, I'm a man who has to pee and I have to pee _now_.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 03:15:55 pm »
The main hotel staff guy who was always overseeing the lines for the main events, during the first line for the dance, when it was announced minors may not be allowed in, there was a group of minors infront of me debating leaving or not, cause they wanted to go do something before they had to go in for the night instead of stand there and possibly get 10 mins of dancing. The guy comes over to them and tells them to get against the wall. They say they are leaving so they start to get out of line while still debating among them to stay or to go with some other of their friends. As they stand there he loses it and yells at them that if they are leaving they need to get out and leave now, "Just get out and go now!" he said.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 10:29:57 pm »
I'd complain to the Hilton about their staff, I'm sure they have an e-mail address... It'd do a lot of good for them to hear it from many of con goers who had problems with the Hilton staff.
If you were gay, that'd be okay.

I'm mean cause hey, I'd like you anyways.

Offline NickelZinc13

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 11:40:00 pm »
The main hotel staff guy who was always overseeing the lines for the main events, during the first line for the dance, when it was announced minors may not be allowed in, there was a group of minors infront of me debating leaving or not, cause they wanted to go do something before they had to go in for the night instead of stand there and possibly get 10 mins of dancing. The guy comes over to them and tells them to get against the wall. They say they are leaving so they start to get out of line while still debating among them to stay or to go with some other of their friends. As they stand there he loses it and yells at them that if they are leaving they need to get out and leave now, "Just get out and go now!" he said.

I think I was part of that group. If not, then the same thing, if not similar, happened.

I was trying to get everyone (my friends) to go to The Escape, which is a gay all-ages nightclub. Though it mainly supports gays, lesbians, and bisexuals, and I'm straight, I still had fun when my gay friends took me. However, they didn't want to go because they felt like they were being cheated out of money when they paid to be able to attend the raves.

One of my friends brought that up at the rant. The hotel staff was so inconsiderate.
LOOK! IT'S MY SIGNATURE! :D

I lost the game.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 01:17:05 am »

I think I was part of that group. If not, then the same thing, if not similar, happened.

I was trying to get everyone (my friends) to go to The Escape, which is a gay all-ages nightclub. Though it mainly supports gays, lesbians, and bisexuals, and I'm straight, I still had fun when my gay friends took me. However, they didn't want to go because they felt like they were being cheated out of money when they paid to be able to attend the raves.

One of my friends brought that up at the rant. The hotel staff was so inconsiderate.

Its been said in many forums before (and I'm not flaming or anything) but just because you paid for con, it doesn't mean you are exempt from curfew or any con rules.

But with hotel security and hotel staff acting rudely, best thing to do is remember their names and file a complaint.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 01:46:16 am »
First Of all I didn't have an trouble With the Kumoricon staff only one staff member actually made me so mad I almost socked him for pushing me on the escalator yelling in my ear and then Almost breaking my Ankle after forcefully pushing on the escalator. I was crying when I finally got up to the main floor My Ankle had been twisted and I ended up leaving the con and not coming back.
  and the other staff could have helped instead of watching me in pain and tears collapse to the ground because my ankle was soo messed up.

Let me one of the first to tell you how sorry I am to hear of you accident and to wish you a speedy recovery. I know I am just repeating what has been said before, but please if you EVER have any issue with a staff member please try to remember who they are, name/basic description so that they can be dealt with accordingly so this never happens again to you or any other con member. No member of the con should ever get hurt due to staff negligence and the staff member should have never pushed you. As someone else with an injured knee i know your pain all too well and again I wish you a speedy recovery and am sorry for the pain you were put through.

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 01:53:41 am »
I requested cards of two Hilton Staff who where the worst offenders at the con.
Will be sending letters to Hilton this week!
Must go to sleep and stop reading rants, catching plane in 4 hours!

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 02:01:14 am »
Have a safe flight!!
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline catboy-trades

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 09:06:21 am »

Let me one of the first to tell you how sorry I am to hear of you accident and to wish you a speedy recovery. I know I am just repeating what has been said before, but please if you EVER have any issue with a staff member please try to remember who they are, name/basic description so that they can be dealt with accordingly so this never happens again to you or any other con member. No member of the con should ever get hurt due to staff negligence and the staff member should have never pushed you. As someone else with an injured knee i know your pain all too well and again I wish you a speedy recovery and am sorry for the pain you were put through.

I SAY SUE HIM!!!

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 12:44:00 pm »
I'm very sorry for anyone who had an unpleasant experience with any staff. Let me say if you ever have an issue with a con staffer treating you poorly let someone at info desk or the Reg desk or the Yojimbo office know, They can send you to me or the Vice chair who deal with things like that, or they can take down a report and let us know later.
 For the Hotel staff I was talking to the head of security and the event manager all the time, if Hilton staff are rude take down their name and where they were and what happened and I will talk to the hotel about it.
 I stressed Customer service to all our con staff and we will be working with the Hotel staff to try to help this out for next year.

That all said, please be aware that people get stressed out and I personally talked to people while dealing with several other things at the same time and may have seemed snappy just because I had to get a lot of info out to people as fast as possible.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Miss Amanda

• Oni
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 05:24:58 pm »
THe hotel staff were godsend to me. I got along with all of them and they were easily marked and very helpful with direction. They seemed to know where more stuff was going on then the k-con staff.

My complaint was with the k-con staff.
I had maybe 3 or 4 that I didn't have a beef with and I was in a jolly mood and abiding by the convention rules stated in the handbook and online without problem, the problem seemed that everyone had a beef with me.

As a critique (blind critique at that because I don't know how you go about training your staff) perhaps you should better train k-con staff, have one or two more meetings with the hotel so k-con staff can know their rules as well as k-con rules that way you don't have problems with people breaking hotel rules period.

Offline NickelZinc13

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 05:44:48 pm »

Its been said in many forums before (and I'm not flaming or anything) but just because you paid for con, it doesn't mean you are exempt from curfew or any con rules.

But with hotel security and hotel staff acting rudely, best thing to do is remember their names and file a complaint.

Well, I realize that, but really, if something is scheduled at a time to allow minors that would excite us and seem like a lot of fun, then we'd really want to go. It just seems, like it was said, like if we were cheated out of it. (I do realize that it's because of scheduling conflicts and space.) We never had intention of exempting the con rules or regulations.

Also, I heard from a few people that the minor curfew the year prior was up to two am - if this was true, then yes, minors definitely expected to be able to attend.

Hell, I didn't even KNOW there was a city curfew - quite a few times I walked around the city from midnight to around three in the morning with drunk friends, passed by many cops, and not a single one even stopped to question us!
LOOK! IT'S MY SIGNATURE! :D

I lost the game.

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 06:09:44 pm »
0.o @ little kid drunkeness...

maybe little kid is wrong term, but yea...  Portland Police, kinda useless unless they are shooting COUGHCoUGHinnocentCOUGH people

On the minors at the "Rave", they were given like an hour tops if it started at 11, and curfew was 12.
Sad...

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 08:13:59 pm »
Also, I heard from a few people that the minor curfew the year prior was up to two am - if this was true, then yes, minors definitely expected to be able to attend.

Last year, there was an exemption for the dances that allowed minors in until 1am.  It was supposed to only be for one of the dances, but due to some confusion, happened both nights.  But it also caused confusion for the rest of con space... if minors can stay in the dance until 1am, why not other space?  So it was decided to stick to the curfew, and minors had to leave at midnight.

It was unfortunate that the concert ran over, and we were forced to keep minors from the dance.  But as was stated in Rant and Rave... we only have so many big rooms, and only have so much time, to allocate for all the events at the hotel.  We will work to make sure it doesn't happen again next year.

But our policies definitely say that curfew is midnight.. so just because an event or panel doesn't say it is 18+, if it occurs after midnight, no minors are allowed.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline SilentChaos

• Oni
    • Iwaku
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 01:16:48 am »
You know, when I think about it, maybe I was a little harsh in my own opinion of the Hotel Staff. I guess considering this is their first year with us and probably underestimated how things would go, and I admit that day two and three things did improve. I can imagine how it works. Hotel staff underestimates us, they freak out and get a little stressed out. They get snappy and then WE get stressed, and then it just turns into a vicious circle

I guess I can be somewhat optimistic about next year. Now that we're aquainted I bet things go better next year.

Offline catboy-trades

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 07:51:43 am »
But for the security guards, their behavior was unacceptable. I don't like getting bossed around, being herded like a bunch of caddle. And the thing with the "normal" and "abnormal" elevator lines was totally unacceptable. I spoke with my dad, who's a lawyer, and he was talking about filing a class-action suit on behalf on the con goers. So for next year I just think the Hilton staff needs to be aware of what's coming and learn to treat us with the respect that we deserve.

PLEASE HAVE HIM DO IT!!!

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 12:35:10 pm »
The only staff that I got treated badly that were hotel staff were the security guards. When I checked in the doormen, front service people, and the concierge were some of the nicest hotel staff that I've met. If you want good service you have to treat the hotel staff well yourself. Tip them generously, thank them sincerely and they'll always be nice to you. I had one of the concierge guys come up to my room twice a day to make sure that my stay was comfortable, and I'm guessing that's because I was polite and tipped him well.

But for the security guards, their behavior was unacceptable. I don't like getting bossed around, being herded like a bunch of caddle. And the thing with the "normal" and "abnormal" elevator lines was totally unacceptable. I spoke with my dad, who's a lawyer, and he was talking about filing a class-action suit on behalf on the con goers. So for next year I just think the Hilton staff needs to be aware of what's coming and learn to treat us with the respect that we deserve.

The mistake the Hilton made here was also booking weddings parties during our convention.  To the best of our knowledge, those lines were meant to move thier other group around in order to make sure their people got places on time.

The hotel also let us, the convention, have priority usage of resources when we needed it.  When one wedding party was checking out on Sunday, I cut ahead of all of them in the valet parking line due to 'urgent con bussiness'.  The Hilton has promised that this will not happen again.  Next year, no one who is not with the convention will be booked into the main tower. 

This was not meant to be 'connies' and 'normies'.  They were trying to meet all thier commitments to all groups.  This was a jury-rigged solution on thier part and it did not work well for either group. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline catboy-trades

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 06:17:14 pm »
The only staff that I got treated badly that were hotel staff were the security guards. When I checked in the doormen, front service people, and the concierge were some of the nicest hotel staff that I've met. If you want good service you have to treat the hotel staff well yourself. Tip them generously, thank them sincerely and they'll always be nice to you. I had one of the concierge guys come up to my room twice a day to make sure that my stay was comfortable, and I'm guessing that's because I was polite and tipped him well.

The mistake the Hilton made here was also booking weddings parties during our convention.  To the best of our knowledge, those lines were meant to move thier other group around in order to make sure their people got places on time.

The hotel also let us, the convention, have priority usage of resources when we needed it.  When one wedding party was checking out on Sunday, I cut ahead of all of them in the valet parking line due to 'urgent con bussiness'.  The Hilton has promised that this will not happen again.  Next year, no one who is not with the convention will be booked into the main tower. 

This was not meant to be 'connies' and 'normies'.  They were trying to meet all thier commitments to all groups.  This was a jury-rigged solution on thier part and it did not work well for either group. 

I just have a question.  What happens if they do exactly the same thing to us this next year?

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 06:19:52 pm »

I just have a question.  What happens if they do exactly the same thing to us this next year?

we buy that abandoned hotel by the interstate bridge....
i kid, i kid

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 06:23:20 pm »

Next year this is not going to happen.  NO ONE who is not a Kcon attendee, staff or GoH is being booked in the main tower. 

Since the other tower will only run progamming on one floor, not several, it will not be an issue. This has already been resolved.
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline kagekara

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 10:24:02 am »

Next year this is not going to happen.  NO ONE who is not a Kcon attendee, staff or GoH is being booked in the main tower. 

Since the other tower will only run progamming on one floor, not several, it will not be an issue. This has already been resolved.

THAT IS FABULOUS!! Thank you, Con staff, for working on this so quickly and coming up with an excellent  solution! There's more to be done in planning improved flow, but cheers for whoever accomplished this: it's a HUGE and encouraging first step!!
2009, 2010 - Staff
2007, 2008, 2009 - Go (baduk, weiqi) workshop

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 01:16:37 pm »
Also did the elevator signs actually say "normal" and "abnormal"? I'll admit I didn't see those signs but I heard they said Kumoricon Guests and Non Kumoricon guests. It's still aggravating but those people had to get to weddings on time so I can see the reason the hotel did that.(still don't like it though)
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 04:45:00 pm »
Also did the elevator signs actually say "normal" and "abnormal"?

No. One said "Kumoricon" attendees (or guests), and the other said something similar to "other hotel guests" (not necessarily exact quote).
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 06:46:15 pm »
I believe the use of "normal" and "abnormal" came from comments by Hilton staff around the elevator, the signs themselves read "Kumoricon" and something like "Other guests" as Jeff said.

That said, I never heard it myself but was told that; I asked them to tell staff, but don't know if they did.

Offline catboy-trades

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 09:27:55 pm »

No. One said "Kumoricon" attendees (or guests), and the other said something similar to "other hotel guests" (not necessarily exact quote).

Actually the sigh said, " Kumoricon Attendees"  and an arrow pointing to the right.  Then below that " Hotel Guests" with an arrow pointing to the left.
Putting the " Other" before " Hotel Guests" would of shown a little respect for those of us that foot the bill to stay at the hotel and were "technically" Hotel Guests.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2009, 09:30:58 pm »

Actually the sigh said, " Kumoricon Attendees"  and an arrow pointing to the right.  Then below that " Hotel Guests" with an arrow pointing to the left.
Putting the " Other" before " Hotel Guests" would of shown a little respect for those of us that foot the bill to stay at the hotel and were "technically" Hotel Guests.

Not to sound negative, but you make it sounds as though the hotel knew that EVERYONE who attended Kumoricon was staying at the hilton.  Some could have been going to the third floor/basement or something like that.

GGPO

Offline catboy-trades

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2009, 09:38:54 pm »

Not to sound negative, but you make it sounds as though the hotel knew that EVERYONE who attended Kumoricon was staying at the hilton.  Some could have been going to the third floor/basement or something like that.

True.  But wasn't the basement closed off for the elevators just like the upper lobby level?  Anyways I am just saying that is how I felt.  Granted it didn't help how I was treated by the hotel ( along with several other attendees) this last year.  If I do come back and I am treated the same way I am going to get the name of every person that treats me that way and a photo then go to the hotel manager and if he/ she doesn't do anything then I will start a lawsuit.   

Sorry if that sounds negative... I am just responding to how I felt about seeing such a sign..
Adding the word " Other" would of probably calmed me down after being told I was a freak by Hotel security ( btw I wasn't in costume when he called me this I was just carrying merch back to the elevator).

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2009, 09:41:12 pm »

True.  But wasn't the basement closed off for the elevators just like the upper lobby level?  Anyways I am just saying that is how I felt.  Granted it didn't help how I was treated by the hotel ( along with several other attendees) this last year.  If I do come back and I am treated the same way I am going to get the name of every person that treats me that way and a photo then go to the hotel manager and if he/ she doesn't do anything then I will start a lawsuit.   

Sorry if that sounds negative... I am just responding to how I felt about seeing such a sign..
Adding the word " Other" would of probably calmed me down after being told I was a freak by Hotel security ( btw I wasn't in costume when he called me this I was just carrying merch back to the elevator).

Well, just an FYI but a lawsuit probably won't help you because I'm sure that the hilton security is handled by a private company, and all they would be able to do is alert the private company.

GGPO

Offline catboy-trades

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2009, 09:44:12 pm »

Well, just an FYI but a lawsuit probably won't help you because I'm sure that the hilton security is handled by a private company, and all they would be able to do is alert the private company.

actually hotel security was handled by hotel security.  Got to talk to head of hotel security.
Head of hotel security defended his guys.  Did not apologize.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2009, 09:47:31 pm »

actually hotel security was handled by hotel security.  Got to talk to head of hotel security.

Then here is the question.  How did Hotel Security treat you.  not others, but you, provide info as well please.

GGPO

Offline catboy-trades

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2009, 10:00:16 pm »

Then here is the question.  How did Hotel Security treat you.  not others, but you, provide info as well please.

http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=11117.0

That was day one morning...
I saw people pushed.  I saw people be verbally abused.  I was called freak and was just basically treated like I had no right to be there.
I brought it up to the front desk and they said the hotel manager would call me... which that didn't happen until the second time I called them.  Even then the manager said " Well I doubt that happened."

After that I went downstairs to get something out of the exhibitor's hall... I got lost and asked a Con Staffer ( Thank the gods for them)  he told me how to get to the exhibitors hall... sorry but the map didn't help out that much... and I started my way back up to go there.  I tried then to exit through a door that was clearly marked exit when I was stopped and was being pushed up another flight of stairs.  I said I just want to exit through the door but he kept yelling, " No stopping keep going." I then brought to his attention the other hotel security person that was there that was letting people through the exit door which he replied, " F*** it, Go then."   If you are wondering the man was about 5' 10, medium build, and had dark skin.  The woman was of same hieght slightly slimmer and looked of a light complextion.  She was standing to his left.. .my right.  the door was to her left.. my right.

I was then allowed through the door and after going down to the ramp to the exhibitors hall.

Came out... went to go back to my room until my panels.  got in line for the elevator.  Was told to move several times... This was the same man who pushed me earlier in the day.  Not the man on the landing by the exit door to the parking garage but the man near the bathrooms, I told him I was in line to go back up stairs and he just kept saying move.  I asked where to and he kept just repeating the same thing like he was a skipped record.  So after moving to a spot he stopped yelling at me I then decided to walk up the stairs to my room.

I will not go into day two because I don't want to type this all out.  I have already made several reports to Hilton corp. and the hotel.  And honestly nothing has happened.  Also I do not want to get too much into this because I also do not want to be banned from this forum by the admin.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2009, 10:22:05 pm »

I saw people pushed.  I saw people be verbally abused.  I was called freak and was just basically treated like I had no right to be there.
I brought it up to the front desk and they said the hotel manager would call me... which that didn't happen until the second time I called them.  Even then the manager said " Well I doubt that happened."

After that I went downstairs to get something out of the exhibitor's hall... I got lost and asked a Con Staffer ( Thank the gods for them)  he told me how to get to the exhibitors hall... sorry but the map didn't help out that much... and I started my way back up to go there.  I tried then to exit through a door that was clearly marked exit when I was stopped and was being pushed up another flight of stairs.  I said I just want to exit through the door but he kept yelling, " No stopping keep going." I then brought to his attention the other hotel security person that was there that was letting people through the exit door which he replied, " F*** it, Go then."   If you are wondering the man was about 5' 10, medium build, and had dark skin.  The woman was of same hieght slightly slimmer and looked of a light complextion.  She was standing to his left.. .my right.  the door was to her left.. my right.

I was then allowed through the door and after going down to the ramp to the exhibitors hall.

Came out... went to go back to my room until my panels.  got in line for the elevator.  Was told to move several times... This was the same man who pushed me earlier in the day.  Not the man on the landing by the exit door to the parking garage but the man near the bathrooms, I told him I was in line to go back up stairs and he just kept saying move.  I asked where to and he kept just repeating the same thing like he was a skipped record.  So after moving to a spot he stopped yelling at me I then decided to walk up the stairs to my room.

I will not go into day two because I don't want to type this all out.  I have already made several reports to Hilton corp. and the hotel.  And honestly nothing has happened.  Also I do not want to get too much into this because I also do not want to be banned from this forum by the admin.

Well, in regards to what you SAW  You can't report that because for all you know, the security guard could have politely asked the group to move, and if the group replies with a snark remark, then the guard is going to have to get the group to move.

And ultimately, its going to come down to a he said-she said type of deal. 

GGPO

Offline catboy-trades

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2009, 10:36:40 pm »

Well, in regards to what you SAW  You can't report that because for all you know, the security guard could have politely asked the group to move, and if the group replies with a snark remark, then the guard is going to have to get the group to move.

And ultimately, its going to come down to a he said-she said type of deal. 

*nods* I know that.  Believe me I have worked customer service for about 8 years.  I have worked security for 3.   I know about the He said/ She said stuff.  But what ever happened to a little common courtesy?  I was raised on the please and thank you stuff.  As well as the " if you have a question ask it." idea. 

As for the what I saw... let me rephrase, what I observed.  Meaning I did not just see some guy do something and then decided to shut out the rest.  Believe me... some attendees had an attitude... and they showed it.  I had a person in one of my panels I had to tell to be quiet several times.  I understand that things happen and usually don't get angry very much.

I really didn't get angry this year... I felt ashamed.  Ashamed that my fav place to have fun was being ruined... Kcon staff did a good job.  I mean this.  They did a good job for what they had to deal with.  It is not easy making sure that all of us have fun.  But they do it.

When they do have problems or snags you expect it... come on lines are a thing you have to deal with.  Pre-reg is always gonna have snags ( especially the first day of Registration) you have to expect it and come prepared.  ^_^ I brought my PSP and my cane... ( not for support but because it makes me want to sing like they did in old time movies). 

However the hotel was being paid by both the Con and those of us that stayed there as Hotel Guests...  and that is where I felt ashamed... I brought friends with me for their second convention ( first was Sakuracon) and I kept telling them how much I enjoyed Kcon... after the first day I felt like leaving and apologizing to my friends for wasting their time and money.  Not because of the Con staff... no the Hotel Staff.

I am glad I stayed.  Just because I did enjoy myself when I kept myself away from the hotel staff... but when I had to interact with them I got the impression like I was not wanted there.  Mostly because I was told that by two hotel staff... one security and the other was front desk the last day there.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 12:53:36 am »

I would just like to clarify that people won't be banned because they are speaking about this topic. The aspect of this where moderators stepped in recently was that it was being posted in threads where it was off-topic, and we just needed to make sure that topics were not being taken over when issues with hotel staff already had dedicated threads (like this one).
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline catboy-trades

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2009, 11:02:04 pm »
So did hotel staff ever apologize to us?

Offline FynХоук

• Cabbit
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 05:07:20 pm »
I feel like the hotel staff were treating us really badly, so then people just started complaining about "staff" and that pissed of the kumo staff and things got outta hand by the end. The hotel staff were such petty tyrants, and were having too much fun ordering us about

I am Dark Link from 'The Twin Links'
I am the writer and mind behind all skits and videos.
I am awesome!

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 10:47:33 pm »
ok, I helped out the info booth for the first 2 days and I do agree with the whole hotel staff being disrespectful... I would get dirty looks when I raced up and down the stairs on errands... or when I asked where the bathroom was. I didn't really interact with anyone in particular. Just got impressions that they disaproved. Which is kinda saddenning that they arent open minded enough to see that we're people just like them. We just like puttng on cotumes. As a newcomer to cons, I found it a little crowded. All in all, the con was pretty fun for me... claustrophobic but fun.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:
Day0: Hunny (Ouran Host Club) COMPLETE
Day1 (possibly late night panels): Ran Mao (Black Butler) 50%
Day2: Kaoru Hitachin (Ouran Host Club) 90%
Ball/Rave: May (pokemon)
Day3: pirate