Author Topic: My swimsuit contest event and what caused it to be canceled (Updated Info)  (Read 5097 times)

Offline Hentai Cupcake

• Sailor Scout
    • Olime, Olympia Anime Club
Thanks for the support, but there does not need to be any staff bashing done on my part please. I have received a ton of support from various con staff and attendees alike while at the con in regards to what happened to my event.

I am sorry to all attendees that came to the panel only to have it get shut down so early on, but i thank you all for such a large turn out for it. I also thank all the contestants for being in the contest as well.

Alot of people have been asking what happened exactly to cause the event to be canceled so here it is.

The event was scheduled as a 13+ event and and shut down because the content that was in my panel was against a 13+ rating, My friend wore a banana hammock and 3 girls kissed. I was told the panel could have content age rating of 16+ and I agreed to that rating level because there would be no explicit language or sexual content/nudity in my panel.

I scheduled content that to me would be acceptable to a 16+ rated event and has been acceptable and loved in my previous events. I was also told the audience would be "older teens" and with the 16+ age content, I took this to mean attendees would be badge checked for their ages.

In hindsight I should have pushed for a 18+ rating in the audience and made sure that security was badge checking, I had alot of bad life drama going on in the background and let it slip by.

The information I am speaking of came from the last message me and Director of Programming, Jamiche had in reference to my event which i have quoted to below.

I am not placing any age-restriction on attending the panel, just participating in it.  Your panel is scheduled late in the evening (10pm-midnight), so it will be older teens in attendance.  Innuendo is fine (within reason, of course), swearing.. preferably none, or kept to a minimum.  There will be one or 2 staffers in attendance (both to cover your butt and ours), but as long as you keep it in the 16+ range, you will be fine :)

There was alot miscommunication this year sadly but I will be holding my event at the other cons in the area, and i will make sure they will be alot of fun for everyone like my previous ones at mewcon, sakuracon and anime evolution were lol >.<.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:35:32 pm by Hentai Cupcake »

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
Re: In reguards to my swimsuit contest event.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 06:22:31 pm »
We <3 you. Just for the record.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 06:28:18 pm »
Thanks for the support, but there does not need to be any staff bashing done on my part please. I have received a ton of support from various con staff and attendees alike while at the con in regards to what happened to my event.

I am sorry to all attendees that came to the panel only to have it get shut down so early on, but i thank you all for such a large turn out for it. I also thank all the contestants for being in the contest as well.

There was alot miscommunication this year sadly but I will be holding my event at the other cons in the area, and i will make sure they will be alot of fun for everyone like my previous ones at mewcon, sakuracon and anime evolution were lol >.<.  

Any way I can join your events at the cons with my camera?
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline Hentai Cupcake

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 06:37:49 pm »
thanks randompvg <3, I always leave a section open in the front reserved for photographers, just notify before the con and come a little early so i can let you in.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 06:39:14 pm »
thanks randompvg <3, I always leave a section open in the front reserved for photographers, just notify before the con and come a little early so i can let you in.

Then I'll definitely have to follow ya to the cons because HG IS GOOD FOR CONS!

http://slash5150.smugmug.com/Conventions/kumoricon-2009/Day-1-swimmsuit-contest/9535476_8CnaV#640984207_YwCEK

(lulz)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:42:27 pm by Slash5150 »
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline Mykath

• Cabbit
    • dA Account
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 06:46:19 pm »
Will you be holding the swimsuit contest at Kumoricon in the future? :o

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:59:33 pm »
I was appalled after hearing what happened. So so sorry!! But don't worry. Your next contest will blow those suckers away! :3 *comfort hug*

Offline Hentai Cupcake

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 08:17:33 pm »
lol thanks slash

Hopefully i will be Mykath, i will just have to make sure there arnt the same misunderstandings this time.

hehe thanks Fuyuko, and yes they shall! *huggle* :3

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 08:23:01 pm »
Might I ask what happened? I was in line for it, but decided to go and sleep instead of attending.
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline Mykath

• Cabbit
    • dA Account
Re: In reguards to my swimsuit contest event and what caused it to be canceled
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 09:23:25 pm »
I hope so too. I think after what happened that there WON'T be any misunderstandings. I will be attending for there and Sakura Con for sure.

Offline NickelZinc13

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 09:30:10 pm »
I wish to know what happened as well - Me and my friends abandoned the Soul Candy concert to attend, but were turned down.  :(  (Plus, the drumming and the sound setup got a little annoying...)
LOOK! IT'S MY SIGNATURE! :D

I lost the game.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 09:37:08 pm »
the simplest way to put it is as said a miscomuicaction of the over 18 there were picture s being taken So contestants had to be 18+ but It was mistaken as a 18 and older event adult content wise easy to see the mistake lets leave It at that
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 10:19:53 pm »
Erased my question; HG already answered it quite well at the top of the page. Don't make my mistake; go back and re-read his first post before posting. (*^_^*)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:25:49 pm by randompvg »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline NickelZinc13

• Cabbit
Re: My swimsuit contest event and what caused it to be canceled (Updated Info)
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 10:29:26 pm »
Oh, we weren't turned away because of the age thing, we caught it just as it was canceled.
LOOK! IT'S MY SIGNATURE! :D

I lost the game.

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 01:45:10 am »
Can't wait to see you at MEWcon.
We are going to have our first dirty show there!!!!
Your show was great last time there so your going to have to top it this time.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 01:46:36 am »
Can't wait to see you at MEWcon.
We are going to have our first dirty show there!!!!
Your show was great last time there so your going to have to top it this time.

You gotta let me get into MEW con now...I just gotta find out where it is and how I'd get there/who i'd room with ETC>

GGPO

Offline Lynx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 02:23:25 am »
Hard Gay. You have my daggers. Hope to see you rocking this panel at this coming Sakuracon.
[Insert Snazzy Signature Here]

Offline Squall

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 02:58:21 am »
I heard about this as I approached to room to check out the event,  right as it was being ended.

A word of advice...  Keeping an event 13+ or even 16+ rated is harder than it seems.  If for any reason you think the content could easily become 18+ rated (even if it's beyond your control), try to schedule it as an 18+ ID checked event.  That way if anything does happen, you're covered...to an extent.  PG-13 events can become R rated in seconds...believe me, I know from experience. LOL
Brian, formerly of BakaZoku

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 04:30:06 am »
I seriously hope your next show goes perfect.  Besides the late start it was going great, and everyone there I think was having a nice time with the program.  It was sad to see you shut down, even though the content was a bit more for 18+.  I think people need to ether set hard rules on what is or isn't appropriate or get with the times and realize this is going on everywhere a 13 year old can and does see.  Good luck with your next show,

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 07:44:23 am »
Figle you already know our group loves yah! ;)
Secrety secrets!

Offline Hentai Cupcake

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 05:12:26 pm »
Thanks for all the continued support everyone :3

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
    • Myspace profile :)
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 01:40:55 am »
I recall pictures being taken of the event and I recognized on of the girls. She was the girlfriend of one of my old friends. I wouldn't be surprised if she was the one wearing the banana hammock.

Offline Hentai Cupcake

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 03:25:49 pm »
lol no my friend who is a guy was wearing the banana hammock XD

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
    • Myspace profile :)
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 10:34:01 pm »
Oh jeebus! xD